The rescuer.

The Art of Love.
Please log in to read the full chapter

A week had passed and I’m slowly getting the groove. Of course, I still get homesick, but with the help of my family who keeps on motivating me, I get by. I must say, this journey merely started yet, for the only time it will is once school starts. Thinking about it, I can’t help but feel anxious and worried at the same time. I don’t know, maybe because I’ll be in a different environment again when I haven’t adjusted fully in another.

Today, I’m going to Hongik University where I’ll be studying for three months as an exchange student to finalize my enrollment and to get class schedules as well. All I’m praying is for this day to go smoothly because I don’t want to stress out about it, not when I’m in my student-mode already.

In a hurry to catch Hye Yoon Unnie, I took the fastest bath I’ve ever had in my entire life and dashed downstairs. It’s already past eight, which means that she’s leaving for work anytime soon. “Unnie!” Thank God she’s still here. Looking very classy in her red peplum sheath dress and white pumps, she turned to me with a smile on her face. “Fili!” she called. I reached her, panting. “Aigoo. Why are you in a rush?” she asked curiously. “I just want to ask how I can get to the university. I’m really sorry to bother you with it, but I don’t know where and what to ride”

She giggled and touched my shoulder. “Didn’t Omma told you that Seunghyun is going with you today?” Huh? What? I shook my head. “No, she didn’t”. Seriously, I don’t know what she’s talking about. Unnie transferred her tote to another arm and sighed. “Seunghyun is attending at the same university” and she chuckled. “It seems like we forgot to tell you about it. But yeah, he’s studying at Hongik too. You’re in the same department as well”

Can I change courses even just for now? Why do I feel like I’m stuck with that guy when it’s the last thing I want to happen?

“Hmmm…” I don’t know what to say anymore. Hye Yoon Unnie walked to my side and wrapped her arm around my shoulders. “He knows about it already, so don’t worry” she said in the calmest tone. Thing is, I’m freaking out. I don’t want to be with him anymore. I swear.

Without a choice, I just sighed and wished Unnie a good day. She left after a minute and I head to my room already. My stomach’s rumbling, but I don’t have the energy to eat. If only she gave me directions to the university, I will go there on my own even if the chances of getting lost is 99.9%.

“Ah yes!” lying on my stomach, I reached for my laptop and searched for directions to the university. How stupid can I be? Why do I have to ask Unnie about directions when I can just google it? In doubt if I can manage, I studied it. There are two options: Taxi or Train. I choose Taxi since it says here that it’s not that pricy and it’ll only take me fifteen minutes to get there, while using the train will take me about half an hour.

Great! Now, all I have to do is prepare myself for my first Seoul adventure. I call it an adventure because this is the first time that I will not have anyone familiar with the place to accompany me. “I’m sure he’ll thank me for this” I talked to myself while tying my hair in a ponytail in front of the mirror.

As usual, I’m wearing comfortable clothes once again: White pleated back V tank over a cropped denim jacket, boyfriend jeans that have rips on both knees (made by yours truly) and cream low cut chuck taylor that I matched with black zipper backpack. To be honest, I find my style here in Korea very boring to nearly corny, because everyone around, especially the streets are filled with fashionistas who make it as their runway.

Nervous, I left the house recalling the places I have memorized a while ago, which is very important. I walked and walked and walked. My feet are aching badly already and I haven’t seen a single taxi yet. This is Gangnam, one of the richest places in Seoul where everyone seem to have a car, but it’s impossible for taxis not to come this way.

“Where are you now Fili?” I asked myself while resting on the curb. Not that sure, but I think I’m already far away from home, streets away actually. “It says here that this is where taxis drive in. Why isn’t there a single taxi?” I’m talking to myself, an indication that I’m starting to freak out. “I’ll call Seunghyun!” I snapped and pulled my cellphone out of my bag but froze after realizing that I don’t have his number. “! Now I have to call Hye Yoon Unnie. She will surely scold me for not going with Seunghyun to the university”. Regretful, I waited for my phone to light up but even after a minute or two, it’s still on black screen. “Seriously!” I exclaimed, feeling trouble ahead.

My phone ran out of battery. If only I checked it a while ago, I might’ve charged it. Dear God, I don’t want to get lost.

There’s no way that I’ll give up and just bawl out on the curb. Pissed and at the same time scared, I started walking again, hoping that in every step I take, I’ll find the right way.

I walk.

And walk.

And walk.

And walk.

And walk.

And asked.

And asked.

And asked. But the people I meet doesn’t know English. They actually understand that I’m lost and heading to Hongik University but no matter how they give me directions, I can’t get it. I don’t know if I’m just plain stupid or what.

Luck is finally on my side after an hour or so when I asked a woman for directions. She cannot speak English well, so instead of explaining it to me, she decided to accompany me to the university. I can’t thank her enough. She’s an angel.

With my stress slowly fading away, I entered the huge campus. I only saw it on the internet and was totally awed upon

Please log in to read the full chapter