The soap carvers.

The Art of Love.
Please log in to read the full chapter

What is up with him? What’s with the sudden appreciation? Is he so delighted by my cooking that he complimented me as a way of saying Thank You? Or maybe, he’s in such a good mood.

I know I should just thank him for the compliment. After all, it’s not every day I hear it. It’s just odd because I never expected him to praise me the way he did, for even to people he’s close with, he’s not vocal and expressive.

Blushing, I smiled and reached for his hand, “Thank You”, I said in my uttermost sincerity, “If your intention is to uplift my spirit, there’s no need for that because I’ve gone pass my crappy mood already”. He didn’t reply. His eyes are still on me, making me feel conscious and awkward once again. “Is it really hard to believe it, huh?” he asked and I chuckled, “A little. I mean, it’s not a big deal since I’m contented with how I look. Yes, I can still improve myself but I don’t have time for it, it’s not a priority even. As long as I look descent, which I admit I’m not always –“I said and he laughed loudly, “I’m all good. After all, there’s nothing they can do. It’s either love me or hate me, but if you choose to hate me just because of how I look, you’re one stupid , for you’re too visual”

“Wow!” Seunghyun said in awe, “I only said a little and here you are firing like an Armalite rifle. And you really believed what I said, huh?” he teased. The thought that maybe he’s just playing around entered my head. “I knew it” I sighed and pulled my hand away from his, “You’re not serious”

Flabbergasted, he shook his head, “No! Fili, I’m not joking” he defended and I playfully nodded, “Don’t worry about it Seunghyun. It’s all cool. I don’t believe you anyway”, I said when honestly I did. He hissed, “Whatever” and sighed in frustration.

After eating, he offered to clean everything up and even washed the dishes, which I never see him do. To be fair, I insisted to help. I still can’t get over what happened a while ago. His randomness, even when he’s playing around, flattered me so much because for the first time in a long time, I felt beautiful again.

“What are you doing after this?” he asked while wiping the dishes dry. I think for a moment just to realize that I have a soap carving to do that is due for tomorrow. Gosh! I almost forgot!

“I have to buy a bar of soap to carve for my Carving class tomorrow” I replied. “Can I watch you do it? I can drive you to the convenience store too if you want. It’s tiring to walk, you know” he said. No . Seunghyun’s kindness is freaking me out. I thought he’s just going to care when we’re in school only, as a part of our act. He’s just so nice to me and I’m not expecting him to be.

I smiled, “No need. I want to walk anyway, but you can watch me carve later. Thank You for the offer”. He looked at me intently, as if thinking of what to say next, “Then we’ll walk!” he insisted. Hesitant, “It’s all good. I can manage” I said, but he shook his head in protest, “It’s dark outside already. Something might happen to you. I don’t want to be blamed for not taking good care of you”

Boom! My heart banged my chest so hard, I felt it strongly beating inside me. He cannot go on like this! My preparation is not yet fully done. My heart is still weak to ignore such act. I cannot give in to him.

And because he doesn’t want to leave me alone, I let him accompany me to the convenience store that is ten minutes away by foot. Fully covered because it’s freezing cold outside, we silently head to the store. He’s walking too slowly for me, like his savoring the outdoors when all I want is to get to our destination as fast as I could.

“Are you naturally quiet?” he asked all of a sudden, making me look at him in surprise. I swallowed hard and shook my head, “Not at all. According to my friends back home, I’m the most talkative and loudest person in the world”. “Then why are you not like that now?” he looked at me, waiting for an answer. I shrugged, “I don’t know. Maybe I’m still weighing the people around me now because there might be some who doesn’t want a talkative person, like you. Admit it, you hate it when I talk too much” I pointed at him and he just laughed, “Also, I can’t relate that much, especially when I come from another country, with a different culture and language. As much as I want to share my thoughts, give my opinions on certain things and suggest, I can’t, all because I’m afraid to be judged or to be kicked out of my new circle for something I’ve said or done”

Words came out of my mouth just like that. For the first time since I got here, my heart and mind let me speak out and it’s all because of one person. A person who I never thought I’ll speak this way with.

“Can you teach me how to carve on soap?” he asked while we’re walking down the lane of soaps and detergents. I looked at him with narrow eyes, “Sure. That is, if you’re fine to have an impatient teacher” I told him. He smiled, chuckled and threw three bars of soap in the basket I’m carrying, “All good. As long as you’re not going to smack me on the head or pinch me whenever I make mistakes”.

That sealed it. We bought bars of soap enough to clean a family of three for a month. Seunghyun and I walked back to the house in complete silence this time, which is so refreshing with the cold air brushing our faces.

When we arrived, Mrs. Choi and Unnie are still not home yet. Its pass dinner already and the cook prepared a delicious meal. Thing is, we’re still full from our feast a while ago that we cannot stuff more in our stomachs

Please log in to read the full chapter