The Thing About Love II

Between US

 

It happened so fast.

 

 Lee Joon shielded Dujun and took the bullet. Ji Hyun screamed looking at the scene. She lost her mind and attack Chansung furiously with his four limbs. “Monster!” Even with Ji Hyun’s wonderful height she cannot compete with Chansung’s supreme strength when he too, began giving her his full blow. You endlessly begged him to stop during the whole ordeal, while putting your full effort cutting the zip tie. It was difficult but you succeed. You tossed yourself onto him to divert his attention but he was determined to turn Ji Hyun into pulp. You couldn’t stop him. Dujun can’t stop screaming Ji Hun’s name and cursed. Ji Hyun end up lying on the ground coughing out blood.

Chansung change his attention to you when he’s done with Ji Hyun. He grabbed your hair and you whimper in pain. He locked his arm around your neck making you hanging on your toes. He faced towards enraged Dujun whose struggling to get loose helplessly. He let out his evil laugh. You tried to retaliate but every time you make a move he tighten his arm; chocking you. With both your hands you tugged his arm to counter his force. Your mind and vision became blurred because of the lack of air you inhaled.  

“Look at him! Look at his face!”

Chansung jerked your body with his and forced you to look at Dujun. He raised the gun and aimed at him. “Look at him straight in the eyes! What do you see, __________?”

“Don’t do this Chansung.”

“I want to see your face when I shoot your loved ones right in front of your eyes.” He whispered under his angered breath. “It’s the exact face I had when your father shot my sister in front of me you !” You could feel his hot breath at the crook of your neck. Chansung tighten his arms making you gasped for air. “She was your friend for God sake!” He screamed straight to your ear. As much as you stunned by what he said, you couldn’t process it right away because all you could think about right now is Dujun’s safety.

“Please Chansung. Don’t hurt him…”

“What can I do? I said the same thing but it didn’t stop your father. Now, keep your eyes wide and say goodbye to the stupid husband.”

 

Bang!

 

Ji Hyun sprung mid-air in front of Dujun before fell to the ground again. Dujun yelled in terror seeing Ji Hyun’s lifeless body in the pool of blood.   

In the split second you whirled, snatching the gun from Chansung. You tossed the gun as far as you could and ran over to Dujun. Chansung lunged, grabbing your back collar, smashing you into the wall. Your head hit the wall straight, the force was so great your body bounced back, you twirled for a second and without another warning, he grabbed and threw your body to the ground. In your flight you flung towards several broken furniture and the brittle structure fell on top of you like dominos.

Dujun jerked off from the chair and slumped on the floor. He groaned when his wounded head hit the ground first. For a moment he quivered, tried to ease the excruciating pain. Marshaling all his strength, he pushed his leg and shoulder concurrently, scooting forward in desperate effort to get to you. Hearing no sound coming from where you were ‘buried’ Chansung went over, quickly removing the broken structures and recovered your limp body.

“Don’t touch her!” Dujun shrieked.

Dujun was close enough to touch you; if only he could free his hands.

Chansung could see the bloodcurdling threat radiating from Dujun’s eyes. For a moment he was truly threaten by it and wouldn’t dare making another move. Police’s siren howling from afar startling Chansung and pulling him back to reality. He looked at lifeless Ji Hyun, Lee Joon and you. He had no choice. Captured, he spent his whole life in prison. Chansung began rifling through the ground and found his gun at the farthest corner. He hurriedly grabbed his bag full of cash and disappeared through the back door.

“Dujun-sshi!”

He heard detective Woobin’s voice, but he saw only you in front of him. Detective Woobin were the one who’s handling your case from the start and Dujun has been keeping in touch with him every couple of hours for any update. Woobin had warned Dujun not to come to his house because from the CCTV recordings couple of days ago, Chansung had been wondering in front of Dujun’s apartment several times. Chansung smile wickedly straight to the CCTV exposing himself on purpose. When they were about to arrest Chansung one night, he never showed up and no one was more frustrated than Dujun. That’s when he suspect Chansung did that to lure Dujun to him. He guess right. He had handled so much cases and from his past experience he knew Dujun will act foolish. Woobin got a hunch when he couldn’t reach Dujun since late evening today Dujun had fallen into Chansung’s trap. Well, how can you stand still doing nothing when your other half is missing?  Luckily they could track Dujun’s phone but apparently they were late. Chansung escaped and he had two, no, three lifeless body to handle.  

“Are you okay, Dujun-ah?” Yes. He asked the stupid question.

Dujun shuddered, still struggling to free himself. Woobin help him and within seconds Dujun was freed. He then gave several instructions to his team and they quickly contained the scene while another small team trailing Chansung’s escape route. Dujun rushed towards you. He carefully scooped you with his trembled hands. Dujun was shaking uncontrollably in sync with his emotion. Your body move according to his like a jelly.

“__________-ah…” he mumbled.

A few minutes later you came to with a throbbing pain. Your head hurt and you had copper taste in your mouth. You tried to move any limbs that you feel still intact with your body but found you couldn’t move any of them. Then you saw Dujun. Your have your husband in front of you. “Oh thank God you’re awake!” he muttered.

“Let’s go home, _________-ah. Let’s go back home.” Dujun brushed your cheek softly. He repeatedly kissed your entire face. His sobs intensified when he saw dried blood hardened and crumpled among your cluttered hair.

Ji Hyun.

At the thought of her you grabbed Dujun’s shirt and stared at him. “Ji Hyun. Ji Hyun. Bring me to her.”

Dujun reluctantly carried you to Ji Hyun. You tried hard kneeling beside her with your aching body. Ji Hyun saw you. She was still breathing but her breath short and erratic. You cradled her head on your lap and locked your fingers with hers. Her upper body was drenched in blood you couldn’t tell where exactly she got shot.

“Why?” you mumbled.

She looked straight to you under her half lidded eyes.

She smiled. Not poisonous, not devilish.

And by that smile, she breathed no more.

 

-------

 

“Dujun!”

“Eomma!”

Mrs. Yoon ran towards her only son. They embraced each other in front of the emergency operating theater. Mr. Yoon was not far behind. Dujun saw his father. Mr. Yoon hugged him. “Appa…” he sobbed on his father shoulder.

“It’s gonna be alright Dujun.” Mr. Yoon warmly caressed his precious son’s back and comfort him. “She’s a strong girl. She’ll be alright, Dujun.” He said. His mother was sobbing too. His ‘brothers’ including Youngun had already gathered there.  They couldn’t even said anything. Dujun’s parents sat while he walked back and forth, nervously waiting in front of the glass door.

Suddenly the automatic door opened and two surgeon wearing blue operating scrubs emerged. Everyone was on their feet waiting for the doctors to say something.

“Yoon Dujun-sshi?” one of the doctor said to him because he was standing the closest to the door. Plus, you can’t mistake him with his bandaged head and bloodied shirt, considering in what circumstances they came in from earlier.

“Yes. I’m Dujun. How is my wife doctor?”

“She’s stable. It’s a good thing she came when she was still conscious. It’s lessen the risk. But, she had going through a lot. She suffered two fractured rib with one broken. Her ankle fractured and she suffered minor concussion on her head.”

Dujun sighed and cupped his face. Hyunseung quickly hold his shoulder for support. Mr. Yoon hold his shocked wife close.

“What about the baby?” Junhyung muttered.

 

------

 

They situate you in a private room on Dujun’s request. Mr. and Mrs. Yoon went back home. They wanted to wait until you wake up but Dujun insisted they shouldn’t. Youngun took his leave too. He constantly monitoring all articles on the internet since day one and luckily they were under control. He will be working on the official statement with Cube later. After sending his parents off Dujun sat beside you and stared at you like he had been hypnotized of some sort. He keep staring at your pale face and lost track of time until Junhyung patted his shoulder.

“Take a bath, Dujun. Dongwoonie brought you some clothes for change. We’ll keep an eye on her.” Junhyung shove a towel to him. He sighed, took the towel from Junhyung and went to the bathroom. He felt dirty himself. Dujun let the warm water run through his entire body. They did wonderful job in easing his body soreness, but much less to his mind.

“We found in her, Dujun-sshi. In this case, according to what detective Woobin had told me, I guess they weren’t yours, but still we need your sample for comparison, Dujun-sshi. There were also prominent physical sign that tells us that she’s been . I’m sorry to tell you this.”

Dujun punched the innocent wall.

“Damn you bastard!” he groaned.

 

“Junhyung.” Yoseob called. Junhyung who’s busy checking online articles looked at him. “Wae?”

“Did you hear that?”

“Hear what?” Junhyung was confused.

“Hmm. Nothing.” Yoseob scoffed away his curiosity. He slowly lifted Gikwang’s head from his shoulder and leaned them onto Dongwoon’s, who were sleeping too on the couch. They naturally drifted asleep since it was already late. Hyunseung sat beside the bed watching you attentively, when Yoseob came over and sat across him at the other side.

“Seung-ah…”

“Hmm?”

“She’ll wake up, right?”

“Of course.”

“That’s good then.”

“Don’t worry, Yoseob-ah. All will be fine.”

“I hope so. I’m worried about Dujun actually, Seung-ah.”

Hyunseung sighed. “That tough, stubborn kid. It must be hard on him.” Hyunseung caressed your hand softly. You felt cold compared to his temperature. “Our little sister. She’s gone through so much.” Suddenly, your hand moved as if they reacted to Hyunseung’s touch. Hyunseung felt it then quickly stood leaning closer to your face. He called you softly.

“_________-ah. Are you awake?”

Junhyung ran and joined them beside the bed. “She’s awake?” He asked. “She moved her hand.” Hyunseung said. Just then Dujun came out from the bathroom. He had his towel on his neck and his wet hair still dripping with water. He looked surprised because they all stood staring at you. “Why?” he flustered. After all that had happen he prepared for the worse. He hurried to you and quickly interlaced his fingers with yours.

“What happen??”

“___________-ah. She moved her hand. I thought she’s awake.” Hyunseung said.

Dujun stared down to you. He tried to get some reaction from you but none were shown. “Let her rest." Dujun sighed. He turned towards them. "Why don’t you all go back? It’s been a long day. Get some rest.”

“You’re the one who should rest, Dujun-ah.” Yoseob said.

“I’m okay, Yoseob-ah. You all go back first. Bring the sleepyheads to their bed.” Dujun smiled at Gikwang and Dongwoon. “Will you be fine? I can stay with you if you want.” Hyunseung offered his company.

“No, Seung-ah. I’m fine. Really, don’t worry about me. Go back to your own home if you want.”

“Oh, maybe I need your help putting on my bandage back. The doctor said not to wash my hair but I can’t stand the dirt.” Dujun dry his hair with the towel carefully not to brush over the wound. He just got eight stiches and they were not pretty and still stinging every now and then. “Sure.” Hyunseung replied. He helped Dujun with his bandage. "This will leave a scar." he said. After he was done he took Dujun’s prescribed medicine, probably pain killers and anti-inflammatory and gave it to him along with a glass of water. Dujun gulped them in one shot. Junhyung woke Dongwoon and Gikwang up. They shared brotherly hug with their leader, bidding him goodbye. After they left Dujun back at sitting by your side, praying, hoping, and patiently waiting for you to wake up soon.

 

“What are we gonna do now, ___________-ah?” He muttered. Soon later he fell into deep slumber. His battered body eventually gave up his desire to stay awake under the spell of the meds he took earlier.

 

“Yoseob-ah, let’s go back upstairs. Junhyung, can you wait?” Hyunseung suddenly said. Yoseob, seems like having the same thought immediately nodded. He followed Hyunseung, taking the elevator to the 3rd floor. They went back to your ward and Hyunseung smiled finding what he already expected; Dujun sleeping still sitting on the chair, half his body on the bed. Yoseob pulled out the small bed for patient’s companion from under the bed. Later they carefully carried sleeping Dujun onto the small bed. They make sure he’s is comfortable position, covered him with a blanket, properly tucked him in. One could easily see his body was covered with bruises all over. Yoseob dimmed the side lamps. They exited the room stealthily.  

 

Hopefully with the light of tomorrow everything will be better than today.