Chapter 3: Virus

Fiction: You are My Story to Tell

 

It all started with a very cliché situation. They were seatmates. And then they got paired up for a project which took those days. It seemed to him that she doesn’t notice him, but the truth is, since they were in high school, she’d secretly admire him.

 

“I hate this! I really needed to format this! Damn virus kept coming back!” Yoseob cursed in front of his laptop. He was always complaining like this in front of his laptop especially if he always loses on the game he was playing—angry birds.

 

Junhyung was sitting on the couch silently. Staring at the T.V. screen blankly, he didn’t know he had been like this for an hour. He doesn’t even know what he was watching was now a kids’ show. He turned off the T.V. and searched for his phone trying to keep himself busy.

 

“Why do damn viruses kept coming back! I already formatted this for many times! I really need to buy a new laptop!” Yoseob once again shouted in anger retrieving in using his laptop leaving it on the center table. Yoseob had gone somewhere—Junhyung doesn’t care.

 

“Virus… Right, you’re a virus that kept coming back…” Junhyung mumbled looking at a certain picture on the screen of his phone. A girl with a bright smile and was beside him.

 

“Just a virus that I have to erase from my mind.” He mumbled again and again then he closed his eyes and leaned on his back on the couch trying to erase her image from his mind but no matter what he do, he can’t erase her… her smile, her laugh, her face, her everything. She’s everything.

 

You’re my virus
You’ll make it hard
Whenever I see you again
My heart will probably hurt

 

DING DONG. DING DONG.

 

Junhyung was brought back to reality as the door bell rang. He stood up and opened the door. And there was Hara standing while smiling brightly handling a big box—probably another cake.

 

“Junhyung! I made another cake!” she said happily as she went inside. She then placed the box on the center table as she sat on the couch. Junhyung just watched her blankly. He sat beside her.

 

“Another chocolate cake?” he asked getting curious.

 

“Nope! It’s your favorite! I finally made it, Junhyung… strawberry cake!” she squealed in delight. She opened the box revealing the pink-colored cake with strawberry toppings.

 

“What? Cake?” said a voice from upstairs. There was Yoseob smiling brightly upon hearing the word ‘cake.’ He rushed downstairs and looked at the cake.

 

“Yes, Yoseob... it’s my first strawberry cake! Come, Taste it!” Hara replied. She stood up and headed to the kitchen and gets some plates and forks. There were only two of them in the dorm since the rest have their schedules.

 

“Let’s just spare slices for the others…” Hara said as she sat down handing them the plates. She sliced the cake into many then she placed one slice on her plate and tried to feed Junhyung again.

 

“Ahh~” she said motioning Junhyung to open his mouth.

 

“Hara…?” Junhyung said hesitating but Hara got him, he has nothing to do but to give up. He then opened his mouth.

 

“How was it?” she asked excitedly.

 

“Love it” Junhyung smiled

 

“Yay!” Hara hugged him.

 

“Oh my god, Hara, This is heaven.” Yoseob complimented.

 

***

 

Jae Min was reading a book, Harry Potter, but she don’t quiet understand it for she wasn’t concentrating on it. Her thoughts were on Junhyung. Back when they meet yesterday, she can’t forget Junhyung’s reaction. Now she was regretting what she had decided. There’s no way Junhyung would talk to her.

 

“Junhyung, Junhyung, Junhyung…” said Min catching her attention.

 

“Unnie…? You need something?” Jae Min said with a confused expression.

 

“I was telling you I need someone…” Min replied looking her reflection on the mirror.

 

“Need… someone?”

 

“Yes, my auntie was a known designer here in Seoul and she needed two personal assistants for she was now handling some big clients…” Min replied sitting on the edge of the bed.

 

“Big clients? As in… that big?”

 

“No, you silly… I mean, she had loyal clients by now and those clients were popular! As in popular like Junhyung! And she can’t do the business by herself!”

 

“So…? Oh, I get it… yeah; I think I really need a job…” Jae Min blinked

 

“Well then, we’re automatically hired!” Min exclaimed

 

“Whoa! That easy?” Jae Min asked

 

“Really…” Jae Min winked at her.

 

***

 

Their first day of work has started since on Monday. Clients are countless. It wasn’t that hard to be a personal assistant since her dream before was to be a designer. Sometimes, she would draw some of styles she dreamt to have before but then when Min’s auntie would arrive, she’d instantly throw it to the trash.

 

“Jae Min, I’ll be leaving for a while… One of my loyal clients was going here… I wanted you to take down of their sizes… I’ll be designing costumes for them… Okay?” Min’s auntie said while getting ready.

 

“Sure, ahjumma…” she smiled at her as she finished sweeping on the floor.

 

She left the office and Jae Min was left there planning on what thing she would do next. Min was out for meeting her boyfriend. Yes, she had a boyfriend here in Korea. Jae Min was left alone in the shop to take care of the things. Few minutes later, she heard cars stopped in front of the shop. Probably it is now the clients ahjumma was talking about.

 

A boy hopped down the car, and then you realized they were someone familiar.  Coming out of their cars one by one, it slowly hit you in realization. Kikwang was the first one to come in the shop which made you startle for a while. Silence ensued then his eyes widened. “Oh… it’s you!” he smiled at her.

 

“You know her?” Doojoon was the second one to go inside the shop asking Kikwang.

 

“Yeah, she was that girl that fell unconscious on our concert…” Kikwang said while the others were filling the shop. The last one to go inside was Junhyung.

 

“Who?” he asked not recognizing her presence.

 

“She” Kikwang then pointed at Jae Min. Junhyung followed Kikwang’s finger’s direction then his heart immediately pounded hardly against his chest. He was now looking at her with a priceless expression.

 

“Uh oh” Yoseob sighed.

 

“Oh, where’s Mrs. Lee?” Doojoon tried to lighten the situation.

 

“She told me to take down of your sizes so that she could design on your costume…” Jae Min replied silently getting the notebook and a pen and the tape measure.

 

“Well then, I’ll go first.” Doojoon said walking straight to her direction trying to block Junhyung’s sight of her. Junhyung sat down trying to relax. He tried to avoid his gaze upon her but he can’t stop but look at her.

 

You are my virus
You’ll probably hurt me
I want you and want you again
I want you as if I’m crazy
I love you so much
Even if I hurt and hurt again
I’ll love you until the day I die