[11]

The Checklist
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Miyoung grabbed her phone the moment she woke up just to check on Sehun only to find out that her mother has left her 9 missed calls and 6 messages asking her to call as soon as possible. She panicked and called her mother back. As soon as her mother answered, she immediately shared the big news to her daughter which made Miyoung’s eyes open wide. “NO.” she gasped. “Alright mom. I’ll go home this weekend.” 

After their conversation ended, Miyoung immediately called Hyoyeon who was on the way to the gym.

Hyoyeon: OH NO. Really?!

Miyoung: It's not really surprising but Yonghwa oppa come on, right?! Mom was really depressed. She was like, 'I'm too young to be a grandma...' I had to like comfort her for thirty minutes and I’m telling you, it’s not that successful. I would have to go home this weekend.

Hyoyeon: Yeah that seems right. OMG. You're going to be an aunt.

Miyoung: Can you imagine?! Also, there'd be a small engagement party since they'd be having a shotgun wedding soon. Wanna go with me? Let's ask Bora to go home this weekend too.

Hyoyeon: Let's bring Sehun too.

Miyoung: Right. Hyo, I have to get ready for class now. Talk to you soon?

Hyoyeon: Okay...

 

Miyoung informed Sehun about going home this weekend together but he had to decline because he had to stay on campus due to his training. "That's too bad... I'm going to miss you this weekend." Miyoung said as she clung onto his arm. "Same here." he said as he kissed the top of her head. 

It’s only been a few months since he got into the track team and despite his skills, he still hasn’t represented the university during competitions because he still hasn’t achieved the team’s expected target time. Although the team doesn’t really pressure him since he’s still a freshman, Sehun’s strong desire drove him to be focused and determined to be one of the youngest representatives to compete for their university. Sometimes, Miyoung would attend his training sessions whenever she’s available. He really appreciates Miyoung supporting him all the way and even though it meant that they would have less time together.

 

(That weekend)

Miyoung was waiting for Hyoyeon so they could go ride the bus together only to find out that her friend wasn’t alone.

Miyoung: Luhan?

Hyoyeon: Yeah… he’s coming with us. Hope you don’t mind.

Luhan: Would that be okay? It’s alright if it’s not.

Miyoung: It’s fine. You’re going to like our neighborhood ‘cause almost everyone knows each other.

Hyoyeon: Yeah and also, you have to be ready to answer a lot of personal questions about yourself.

Luhan: Oh I see, you guys are testing me if I’m going to back out right? *grins*

Miyoung: Oh no buddy, *places elbow on his left shoulder* we are not kidding at all. Why do you think we know each other in our neighborhood?

(Luhan’s jaw almost dropped and looked almost discouraged. Miyoung and Hyoyeon laughed.)

Luhan: Hey! You’re playing with me. *removes Miyoung’s elbow on his shoulder and held her arm.*

Miyoung: Okay, the truth is, we’re not kidding but… they wouldn’t really ask you uncomfortable questions. Just shallow ones. Don’t worry.

Luhan: Alright if you say so. *stares at Miyoung’s eyes*

 

Hyoyeon smiled as she watched the two. Her plan was working and Miyoung and Luhan are getting along really well. She almost can’t hide her excitement that her best friend is meeting her ideal man because of her and she made that happen.

 

(Upon arriving at their street)

Hyoyeon: Hey Myong, do you mind if Luhan would stay at your house? He couldn’t really stay with me because I have no brothers and he couldn’t share room with me nor with Seulgi, obviously.

Miyoung: Sure. Hey Luhan, here’s my humble abode. *waves at Hyoyeon* See you later, Hyo!

Miyoung: Mom, Dad… I’m home… Yonghwa oppa? Taeyong? Huh, looks like no one’s home. *Luhan breathed a sigh of relief” OMG Luhan, you’ve got to relax. Let’s go, you can bunk with my younger brother. Hope his room is decent enough but he’s not really messy per se so it’s probably alright.

 

After they settled down, Miyoung went to the kitchen and took out some leftovers from the fridge for their lunch. In the middle of their meal, her mother finally showed up. She just came from the hotel fixing the engagement party for later. Miyoung introduced Luhan to her mother and proved him that she really does have some questions for him. Luhan was relieved that her mother was cool with her bringing a guy friend over despite the party being intimate.

 

Mrs. Hwang: By the way, how long have you two been dating?

Miyoung: Mom! Luhan is just my friend. *Luhan smiled and watched Miyoung as she blushed from embarrassment.*

Mrs. Hwang: Oh right. Friend. *winks*

(Luhan’s smile got bigger and Miyoung’s cheeks turned into a deeper shade of red.)

Miyoung: MOM!

Mrs. Hwang: I’m sorry. Well, I have to know right? We’re going to meet relatives later and it’s better that we’ve cleared everything up right now.

Miyoung: Are you alright, mom? When we last talked, you were about to break down.

Mrs. Hwang: I guess I’m a little better now. Yonghwa and Seohyun sat down with your father and I and had a long talk. We all discussed their plans for the future and I’ve clarified that there’s no way that their kid is calling me ‘grandma’. I’m not sure yet but I’m going to figure it out. I have seven months left to figure it out.

Luhan: Mrs. Hwang, if it helps, my grandma had the same issue so we call her ‘Nana’.

Mrs. Hwang: Nana… that’s not bad at all… and oh, don’t call me Mrs. Hwang either. It’s so formal. You can call me ‘mom’ too. I don’t mind.

Luhan: Really? M-mom? *smiles shyly*

Mrs. Hwang: Yes, that’s right. But don’t call my husband “dad”. I’m not sure he’s ready yet for someone else to call him that especially that Miyoung’s our only daughter.

Miyoung: See? I told you my parents are cool.

Mrs. Hwang: Alright, I’m going to leave you for now. I have to make some calls.

 

Luhan smiled. He didn’t expect to be welcomed so easily especially by Miyoung’s mother. He wondered how would it be like if he ever meets her father.

Miyoung: Hey, why are you smiling? You look like a dork over there.

Luhan: What? A dork? *acts manly* Excuse me, I’m not a football center midfielder just to be called a dork.

Miyoung: Well okay Mr. Midfielder, finish your meal. We’re going to Hyoyeon’s and then we’re going to tour you around.

 

Hyoyeon and Miyoung toured Luhan around their neighborhood. They showed him where they hangout during vacations and the houses of their friends. They got to meet some people who really did ask Luhan a bunch of questions. Good thing was that he was prepared enough to answer due to Miyoung and Hyoyeon’s warning. Despite meeting different neighbors, they didn’t exactly meet their friends because they were having Saturday classes so after hanging at the court for a bit, they went straight back to Miyoung’s house.

 

Hyoyeon: Well, I think I have to prepare for later. I don’t have anything to wear.

Miyoung: We could go to the mall.

Hyoyeon: That’s a great idea and since it’s quite early, we probably have time for a movie too.

Miyoung: *faces Luhan* Would you mind dress shopping with us? It’s okay if you want to do some walking first.

Luhan: It’s okay, I don’t mind.

 

Couple of boutiques later, Hyoyeon has finally decided to buy a dress that she liked. They went straight to the movie schedule to see the current film attractions that the cinema offered. They noticed that the one they liked was about to start so in order to save time, Luhan fell in line at the ticket booth while the girls went to buy snacks. While Miyoung was contemplating on which popcorn flavor to buy, Hyoyeon received a message from her mother asking her to come home immediately. She apologized to her friend and gave her some money to pay for their snacks as a treat.

Luhan was ecstatic when Miyoung stayed to watch the movie with him. Almost the whole movie, he would smile as he observed her reactions while watching the action-comedy flick that they chose. He was also glad that Miyoung bought two buckets of popcorn with different flavors. Because of that, they were able to share their own buckets with each other and most importantly, their hands touched a couple of times.

Miyoung on the other hand, realized that she had a lot of fun hanging out with Luhan regardless of being left by her best friend. Unfortunately, they had too much fun hanging out which made them lose track of the time. When Miyoung found out that they’re going to be late, they ran out of the mall, immediately flagged a taxi and ran inside the house to change.

 

After ten minutes, Luhan went outside and leaned on the taxi while he waited for Miyoung to come out. Fifteen minutes later, Miyoung stepped out of the house wearing a simple beige dress. She had light makeup on and her hair was styled in a side French braid. Luhan was stunned by how elegant she looked despite her simplicity.

Luhan: You look amazing, Myong.

Miyoung: *blushes* Thank you.

Luhan: Is it alright that I called you ‘Myong’?

Miyoung: Sure you can. Do you have any nicknames of your own?

Luhan: None in particular but my grandmother calls me 'Hanhan'

Miyoung: What a cute nickname! You must be close with your grandmother.

Luhan: Yes I am. I try to visit her during school breaks.

Miyoung: That's nice. *notices him staring at her* Yah... Hanhan, is there something on my face? You're making me conscious.

Luhan: *smiles upon hearing his nickname* Myongmyong, did I mention that you look amazing?

Miyoung: Thank you. But you can stop patronizing me now. I already got you the invite.

Luhan: But it’s true though, I’m so lucky I’m entering the hotel with the most beautiful lady.

Miyoung: Well, you’re just saying that because you haven’t seen Seohyun, the bride. The bride is always the prettiest one. I mean, Seohyun is already pretty as she is but to be the bride on top of that, imagine how gorgeous she would look like.

Luhan: I wouldn’t really know because I haven’t met her but still I’m kinda sure you’ll be the prettiest.

Miyoung: *blushes but tries to hide it* Then I better hope I don’t overshadow her.

 

Miyoung and Luhan arrived at the hotel and were escorted to the dining hall where all the other guests were. The door opened and they could feel that almost everyone was staring at them. “See… I told you, you look amazing.” he whispered. They stood still for almost a minute trying to smile awkwardly, looking at people who kept on whispering about them, until Mrs. Hwang finally approached them. 

Mrs. Hwang: *whispers* What took you so long? Come on here… you can sit here in the family table. Food had just been served.

Miyoung: *whispers and waves shyly at the familiar faces that they were passing by* But mom, where would Luhan sit?

Mrs. Hwang: Ohh… *stops for a while* well he could sit beside you. Taeyong chose to sit beside his girlfriend anyways.

 

As soon as they sat down. Miyoung scanned the room to see where her friends were at. She spotted Bora at the other table, staring at her and Luhan with her jaw hanging in disbelief. She raised her arm and was about to give her a wave when her eyes shifted a little to the right and realized that Sehun was also present, giving her a stern look. Her eyes widened. She immediately grabbed h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter