30 days of drabbles: day twenty - silver (lee hongki)

kpopawriterholic's drabble/scenarios dump

You knew this would happen someday.

-

"You’re…going to be on WGM?"

"Yeah," he confirms shakily through the speaker. Your hand clutches the device closer to your ear.

"Well…have fun? I won’t see you anyways…"

"Don’t worry, I won’t fall in love with her or anything. Only you," he chuckles. "I love you, jagiya~"

"Aish, so cheesy," you smile back, knowing that he can sense it.

Knock on wood.

-

"And so—Oh, ______!" He exclaims, excited from being blessed with a surprise visit from you. You jog over to him and fall into his arms as his scent surrounds you.

He settles you down and keeps an arm around your waist. “This is Mina,” he introduces. You turn to said lady and smile and bow. “It’s a pleasure to meet you,” you politely supply.

"Same," she replies, although it seems a little strained.

And it doesn’t go unnoticed.

-

"The customer decided it was a good idea to go and dump coffee on him and—"

"Mhmm. Hey, can I call you back later? Break just ended," Hongki interrupts and you automatically deflate on the other side of the phone.

"Sorry, yeah," you breathe.

He never calls back.

"It’s two AM and I’m cursing your name."

-


Leave a voicemail and I’ll try to get back to you!”

-
 

"Hello?"

"Hey, I thought I should call."

"It’s been a while, Hongki—" you stop abruptly so the formality doesn’t slip out and hope that it sounds like you weren’t planning to say it. That’s how long you haven’t seen or spoken to him.

"How is everything?

"Going."

"Hey—"

"You have to go?" You guess, almost bitterly.

"I’m sorry.

You hang up immediately and sigh, flopping your head back against the headboard.

I’m sorry, too.

-

You dodge between the gaps and people and slip into her makeup room after scouting around and making sure unwanted people weren’t there.

"Mina-ssi?"

She snaps her head up from her phone and spins around in her chair when she catches your reflection. You quietly shut the door and make your way to the chair next to her.

”________-ssi,” she regards. “How can I help you?”

You take a deep breath.

"I actually came to ask how Hongki was. We haven’t talked and I thought you would know, since you guys are always recording," you lilt in nonchalant voice.

"Hongki-ya is doing well," she confirms your thoughts with a smile. "There doesn’t seem to be anything wrong."

"That’s all I wanted to hear," you cut in. "Thank you."

"Anytime."

She glances back down at her phone as you quickly reach the door but pause when your hand is on the doorknob.

"Oh."

"Yes?"

You twirl around on your heel and meet her gaze with tears b your eyes. “I knew it was going to happen someday, that I would come second in the end, earning the silver medal.”

Your gaze flickers down to the ground as your lungs give out and pump in sporadic beats. “I just want to know that you’ll take care of him as much as you can and be whatever I wasn’t,” you inhale under your breath, your voice reduced down to a whisper.

"I will," she confirms.

"Thank you, Mina-ssi," you softly cry before turning back to the door.

"Wait!" She gently exclaims to gain your attention. You twist your head sideways to show that you’re listening.

"I’m sorry."

You give a watery chuckle. “Don’t be.”

And you exit.

-

"I knew I would eventually come in second. I knew that it would end. She’s a lovely person. And even though it hurts to know that you could throw away whatever we had for three years in a matter of months, it just shows that you found someone better, and I’d always want the best for you.

Good luck, Hongki-ssi. May everything go well for you.”

Beep.

'To replay, press one. To erase—”

"Oh god," Hongki gives out a shuddering exhale. He places his head in  his hands and shakes it as if his actions can erase his thoughts. "Oh god."

"What have I done?"