Four

One out of Two

 One out of Two | Chapter Four


“Request?” the hospital director stood up. “What is this request that you’re talking about?”

Manager Kim nodded. “Ah yes, I’m a representative from SM Entertainment and we would like to request a doctor from his hospital to be on site; lately there have been a lot of injuries and illness in the building and coming to the hospital with this many fans is a hassle. “

“Ah yes I see, you must be from a big company.” The director said. “I hear that SM Entertainment is really big here and is one of the best.”

Manger Kim chuckled and nodded. “You heard correctly.”

“Well, we can certainly send one of our doctors to you.” The director smiled. “I recommend Dr. Han, he’s one of our seniors and he’s been here for about eleven years, he’s great with diagnoses and knows how to deal with almost all types of illnesses.”

“Actually, I...I want a doctor named Hana, Jung Hana.” He said.

“H-Hana?”

“Is that…okay?”

“Well, Hana is a great doctor, she’s a prodigy in the medical field and I know her father, but the thing is that she’s our youngest doctor at age 26, she also suffers from depression.” The director said. “Are you sure you want her?”

Manager Kim nodded. “Positive, she treated one of our idols and from what I can see, she’s a keeper.”

The director stood up. “Well, arrangements can certainly be made, when would you like her to start?”

“Today, is that possible? One of our idols is down with the flu and he’s not comfortable with hospitals, it’s the trauma from fans running after him everywhere he goes.” Manager Kim explained.

The director nodded. “Ah I see, I will give her a call, and you said you want her to met at the headquarters from now on?”

Manager Kim nodded. “This hospital is just a few blocks from the headquarters, she can still work here I just wish that she come right away when we need her.”

“Alright, no problem…thank you for coming all the way here this early.”

 

***

Jongin looked up when the doorbell rung. “I’ll get it.” He whispered as he got off his seat, he walked over to the door and hovered his hand over the doorknob. He turned around. “Hyung, do I look okay?”

“I’d be lying if I said yes, you look like hell.” Kyungsoo admitted.

He opened the door to see Hana standing there without her usual doctor’s coat on. Instead, she wore a hoodie with skinny jeans and boots.

“Jongin? Are you the one who’s sick?”

Kyungsoo gawked in the kitchen. What would Kai do? He usually hated when people called him that.

 

“Y-Yes.”  Jongin stepped aside. “Come in.” He said softly.

Hana came into their dorm and set her bag down.

Kyungsoo watched from a distance as Hana took his temperature, she measured his blood pressure then took out a cold pack. The whole time, all Jongin did was stare at her.

Hana stood up. “Did you eat yet?”

Jongin shook his head. “I’m not hungry.”

“So? Come eat.” She subconsciously grabbed his wrist and pulled from towards the counter. “Kyungsoo, can you bring me to the headquarters later? I’m gonna be there more often.” She said.

Jongin looked up. “I can bring you.”

“With the flu? Stay at home.” Hana said.

“I can bring you, its fine since it’s near our dorm anyway…Dr. Jung.” Kyungsoo said.

“Hana, you can call me Hana.”

 

Jongin laid in his bed with a stoic expression, when Hana was done taking his temperature once again, she turned around to leave the room.

He grabbed her hand as she was leaving and pulled her closer.  “Hana…can you stay?”

Hana turned around. “Why?”

“Please? Can we talk?” Jongin asked. “I’m not sleepy.”

“The pills I gave you have side effects that include drowsiness.” She said.

“Hana please…”

 

She sighed and pulled a chair up to him. “How old are you?” Jongin asked.

“Twenty-six.” She said softly. “You?”

“I’m turning twenty four soon.” He said. “Nurse Min said you suffer from depression.”

Hana pressed her lips into a thin line and contemplated leaving the room. “I don’t want to talk about that.”

“Why not? If anything…we’re both suffering.” Jongin said. “I’m drawn to you and I think it’s because we might have something in common…I'm not happy.”

Hana looked at him. “Why not?”

“I…I’m not.”

“I told you to see a psychiatrist.” She said quietly.

“But I want to see you…someone who might understand my pain because they too have it, not someone who’s major is to talk to people with problems.” Jongin said.

“What’s wrong with you?” Hana asked.

“…I don’t know if being an idol is what I want to do.” He started.

“Why?”

“I love dancing…and performing.” Jongin whispered. “But it’s nothing something my parents had in mind, they mapped out my life from the day I was born…they wanted me to be a dentist.” He said. “They had such high hopes for me, and only put me in dance for my resume as an extracurricular activity…I wasn’t supposed to love it as much as I do now, I wasn’t supposed to get casted…Even if I make the most money in my family…I’m a disappointment.”

Hana sat there in silence. “But you love it, you have a passion for it…and that’s all that matters.”

Jongin shook his head. “My parents never acknowledged me after I joined the company…so I thought, maybe if I made it big and become famous worldwide, they would be proud of me.” He whispered. “They aren’t…they resent me because I didn’t major in what they wanted me to.”

He continued. “If I’m a disappointment to the people I love…how could I enjoy what I’m doing?” He whispered.

“Is that the only reason why you’re like this? You’re afraid that they will resent you forever for choosing the career you love and have a passion for?” Hana asked.

Jongin shook his head. “It’s ironic too, we have so many albums full of love songs and , I don’t believe in love at all…I think it’s all bull that everyone has a soul mate and that everyone will fall in love and meet the person they will spend the rest of their life with happily.”

“Why is that?”

“Have you ever dated?” Jongin asked.

She shook her head. “Never…my parents mapped my life out too, I come from a family of doctors and I was forced to follow their path.” Hana said. “I won’t be able to fall in love…because in a few months I’m going to meet the man I’m going to marry.” She said softly.

Jongin looked at her. “Is that why you’re sad?”

Hana looked away. “It’s nothing, continue…you didn’t finish.”

He frowned. “I…I had a girlfriend of two years, she broke up with me days before I debuted for no reason…and I was head over heels for her. I was heartbroken and up to this day, I don’t think I have gotten over her. I made excuses and told myself it was only temporary, and that she broke up with me so I can debut without her on my mind. Or maybe she was debuting too, and she didn’t want any rumors between us that would tear us down months into our career.”  

“Did you ever find out why she broke up with you?”

Jongin wiped his eyes. His heart ached and his head pounded, he was hurting again. “No…Never.”

“Is that why you think love is…bull?”

He nodded. “I refused to fall in love again, I told myself that maybe someday I can fall in love and forget her for good…but I couldn’t.”

“Fear.” Hana said. “You’re scared that the same thing will happen to you over and over again.”

Jongin nodded. “The media doesn’t know, but Suho hyung has a girlfriend…and he’s never been so happy. It’s been nearly seven years since we debuted, he wasn’t this happy when we got our first win…I want to be like him too, but I’m scared. Scared that I will disappoint my parents, and as if that’s not enough I’m scared to experience heart break again…it hurt …a lot.” He whispered.

Hana looked down. The pills were starting to have its affect.

“And…I know you’re going to be here…a lot...Hana.” Jongin whispered with his eyes closed. “I’m scared to death…that I will fall for you…”

Hana stared at him.

“So please…if I do…don’t leave me…like she did.”

“…I won’t.” 


[a/n] now sit back and watch their love story unravel ;)))