Ten

One out of Two

One out of Two | Chapter Ten



Jongin opened his eyes when he realized how comfortable he was, which was unusual considering he fell asleep sitting up in the practice room.

He looked up to see a pair of hands holding a Note 4, he noticed the rings she wore on her hands; the cute little bow on her index finger and the golden heart on her pinky. That pale pink shade of nail polish was something he recognized too.

Jongin’s heart raced, was this Hana?

“Hana?” He whispered. Then the pair of hands disappeared from sight and in came the blazing LED lights in the studio. Jongin furrowed his brows and covered his eyes, not only from the brightness, but from embarrassment. “I’m on your lap.” He mumbled.

Hana chuckled and held her hand over his head, shading him from the light. “You slept so peacefully, I couldn’t disturb you….not after what Suho said, have you been spending your nights here instead of resting?”

Jongin sat up and faced her. “Well…The concert is so soon I just want to make my stages perfect.” He said. “How’d…How’d I…end up…on your lap?” He asked.

“I…” Hana thought about what had happened a few hours earlier, and then she flushed pink. Did he hear her confession? “I…came in here earlier, didn’t you hear?”

He shook his head and frowned in the process. “Aw why didn’t you tell me? I couldn’t hear…”

Hana almost sighed in relief.

“Why’d you come in? Were you looking for me?” Jongin asked playfully. “Were you?”

Hana scoffed and looked away. “You wish.”

Jongin raised an eyebrow. “Hana…Jung Hana…”

“Jongin…Kim Jongin…” She mocked him.

He smiled. “Say that again.”

“Why?”

“Because you make it sound so nice.”

Hana rolled her eyes.

“But seriously, why’d you come in?”

She shook her head. “No reason.”

Jongin picked his phone up and called the mischievous maknae. “Sehun?”

“Yeah?”

Jongin grinned cheekily. “So…did Hana come into the practice room for me?”

Hana could almost hear the youngest nod through the phone. “Yeah, she was asking for you.”

“Sehun!” She turned and reached for the phone. Jongin laughed and pulled the phone back just to have her fall onto him.

 

“Hyung?” Sehun said when he noticed the sudden silence.

“Call you back.” Jongin said quickly before dropping his phone. He turned his attention back to Hana, he rarely got to see her up close but when he did, she was absolutely gorgeous in his eyes.

Hana eyed him for a while before bursting into laughter. As he helped her up, all she could do was laugh.

 

Sehun’s eyes also gauged out of his sockets as he sat in the other room and listened to what was happening. “…Noona laughed!” He said in amazement. “Again!”

The boys all scrambled up and ran to the other room; they hovered around the door and peeked through the little window. There, they saw Hana sitting next to Jongin laughing in his arms.

“…It’s like I discovered the cure to cancer or something, this is an amazing sight.” Chanyeol said.

“What a time to be alive.” Baekhyun whispered.

 

Jongin chuckled along and reached over to wipe her eyes, her makeup had smuged a bit from laughing. “What’s so funny?” He asked softly.

“You…look funny from that angle.” Hana chuckled.

Jongin gently pushed her down and eyed her at that angle too. “Doesn’t everyone?”

She giggled and pushed him off. “Stop.” She laughed.

Jongin pushed her down again. “Make me.”

She reached over for her phone and snapped a picture of him.

He frowned. “You’re gonna expose me aren’t you?”

Hana sat up and shrugged. “Maybe, maybe not.”

 

Suho watched in amusement. “They totally like each other.”

Kyungsoo nodded in agreement. “Hana’s 26, he’s twenty four…hm, it works!”

Sehun nodded. “Two year age difference? That’s nothing!”

Chanyeol held his hands up. “Let the fanfics begin…”

Baekhyun held his hands up as well. “Ha…In….Jongna…Kaina….Hakai…”

“Wow you’re really bad at this.” Kyungsoo wrinkled his nose.

Chanyeol scoffed. “Let’s go with KaiNa.”

Suho rolled his eyes. “Oh God.”

 

Jongin sat next to her a few hours later. “Nurse Min says you…suffer from depression.”

Hana nodded. “Yeah.” She said. “I do.”

“But why?”

She shrugged. “I…I think it’s because of my parents.” She admitted.

“How so?” Jongin asked.

“They planned my whole life out for me.” Hana said. “From the day I was born till the day I die, they had a plan for me every step of the way.” She said. “I followed their footsteps and made them proud, I don’t know why but…the feeling of seeing my parents proud and happy because of me made me happy. So I did everything they wanted me to do and put myself through medical school. I graduated early and all but…I could’ve done something else with my life, besides being a doctor.” She said.

Jongin turned to her. “Like what?”

She shrugged. “Anything…but a doctor, I didn’t think I would become one growing up…My father was a doctor and he told me that the feeling he got after curing someone was the best feeling in the world because his patients would always smile and thank him. He wanted me to do the same; he wanted me to experience it too. My father said that having the ability to help others who need you is amazing…but I just don’t see it.” Hana whispered. “I’m sorry but I don’t, being a doctor was something I never thought I’d do.”

“But you’re a doctor.”

“I didn’t think I would survive medical school, I was hoping I’d fail and get out of it, and maybe turn my life around so I could do something I love…But…it’s too late for that.” She said. “I studied so hard, I can’t throw all of that away. It’s like programmed in my head, whenever I see someone I feel the need to help them…cure them, diagnose them…it’s a gut reaction and I can’t get rid of it.”
 

Jongin turned to her. “Hana.” He said. “You’re a doctor, you may not feel it yet, and you may not be comfortable with the idea of you being one who helps others but trust me; all your patients you’ve treated…they are the ones who feel what you’re supposed to.”

She raised an eyebrow.

“You said you wanted to be comfortable in the medical field, it takes time…my family, they’re all doctors and they’ve told me countless times that it takes days, weeks, months or even years to get used to everything. You don’t feel it yet, and it’s fine…but I’m sure your patients feel that you’re definitely a doctor; you’re one of a kind. Every other doctor I’ve been to, all they do is sedate me and then send me home.” Jongin says.

He continues.  “But you’re different, you didn’t put drugs in me…you comforted me…and even  chose to come here every week to watch after everyone here. You’re different from the others, and that’s just one of the few things I like about you. You make me happy Hana, you’re great at what you’re doing and you’re amazing as a person. I wish you knew that.”

He sighed. “It worried me to death when I found out about your depression. I found it ironic because you were a doctor, one who heals other people but yet you can’t heal yourself. And I’ll admit it, after the first time I met you, you never left my mind… I felt obligated to take care of you…and love you, and make you happy because what you did for me, was never done by anyone else. No one’s ever comforted me like that.”

 

Hana stared at him blankly. “Jongin…”

 

“Also…” Jongin cleared his throat and looked away. “I like you.” 


[a/n]: KaiNa? yEHET