One

One out of Two

 One out of Two | Chapter One 


“No Baekhyun, stay behind…I don’t want the press to see.” Manager Kim held onto Baekhyun’s shoulder. “Go back to the practice room, before the fans gather.” He whispered. “I’ll call you guys alright?”

Baekhyun reluctantly backed away, his puppy eyes drooped even more when he peeked into the van to see his trembling band member. “K-Kai.” He whimpered.

Manager Kim pulled down the snapback on Kai’s head. “Jongin…Calm down.” He whispered, calling the lad by his Korean name hoping it would give him some comfort.

The driver looked in the rearview mirror in concern. “Goodness, what happened?” He asked. “Jongin, I’ve never seen you like this.”

Manager Kim shook his head. “Drive faster please.” He pleaded before turning back to Kai. “Jongin…hang in there…breathe…breathe.”

 

When they arrived at the hospital, the manager helped Kai out of the van. They walked straight into the emergency room without anyone suspecting who they were. Manager Kim sat him down on one of the hospital beds before pulling the curtains close as a nurse came in.

“What do we have here?” She said as she pulled out a pen. “I’m Nurse Min.” She said quickly before placing a hand on Kai’s shoulder. “Panic attack.” Nurse Min said. “What happened before he got here?” She asked as she filled out the form.

Manager Kim sighed. “We don’t know; we just found him in the back of the recording studio shaking so hard. We were looking for him too, he’s in a band and the boys were trying to practice one last time before the comeback stage.” He said.

Nurse Min nodded. “Exo right? Two comebacks within these three months? Crazy.”

“O-Oh you know.” Manager Kim stammered.

She smiled. “I have a daughter.” Nurse Min explained.

“Kim Jongin, he’s twenty three.” The manager said.

“Alright, I’ve have Dr. Jung with you in a few moments. For now, we will try to calm him down but if the panic attack doesn’t subside we might have to sedate him.” She said before placing the clipboard on the hook by the edge of the bed.

 

Minutes later, Dr. Jung walked came through the curtains. Pulling it close, she read the report with a stoic expression before glancing at Kai.

Kai looked at her, even if his world was shaky and scary, he glimpsed at her. Why wasn’t she smiling? Why wasn’t she saying anything? Why does she look so…sad?

Jung Hana. Kai looked at her nametag before clutching his head. His breathing got raspy and short before he trembled even harder. You could hear his quiet whimpers.

“Jongin-shi.” Hana said. “Kim Jongin.” She put the clipboard down before walking over. She placed two fingers on his neck and checked his pulse. Then she looked at the manager. “Does he have high blood pressure?”

Manager Kim shook his head. “He doesn’t…we’ve never seen him like this, he wouldn’t calm down on the car ride here, please…help him.”

Hana rubbed his back. “Jongin-shi, tell me what’s wrong; breathe in…and out. Breathe in, and out. Inhale through your nose and out through your mouth…come on…you could do it.” She said softly.

The manager sighed. “Please don’t sedate him, he won’t take that well.” He said.

Hana looked at him for a moment, there was only one other thing she could do to calm him down before turning to the drugs. She wrapped her arms around him and held him tightly. She didn’t say anything until the shaking stop, and when it did, she turned him around.

“Jongin.” She said. “Are you okay? Can you see me?”

“K-Kai.” He whispered.

Hana nodded. “Alright, Kai, can you see me?”

Kai nodded.

“How many fingers is this?” She held up four fingers and only backed away when Kai furrowed his brows in confusion.

Hana laid him down and pulled the sheets over him. “I’m going to put an IV drip in your arm alright? It’ll help since you look exhausted, have some rest…I’ll send the hospital’s best psychiatrist to you.” She said.

Then Kai reached for her wrist, Hana looked down to see him shake his head. She sighed. “Ah…I guess not.” She said softly. “I’ll be back.” She whispered before leaving. Then she eyed the manager. “Can I talk to you please?” She whispered.

 

They stood in the halls and talked about him for a few minutes.

“Kai’s the main dancer; he choreographs a lot and practices a lot.” The manager said. “He’s really hardworking; he collapsed three times this week from over practicing.”

“Are you positive it’s from over practicing?” Hana asked. “There could be a reason behind it, why he dances so hard even if he knows it’s bad for him. Three times you said, if he knew he was going to collapse why would he do it a second time let alone a third time? Is there anything going on at the dorms? Anything Kai would be stressed out about?”

Manager Kim shook his head. “Not that we know of…he’s really quiet even though he appears so loud on television. He doesn’t tell us much.” He admits.

“There must be something going on behind closed doors then.” Hana said.

He pressed his lips into a firm line before sighing. “Actually…Well, I don’t know if I should tell you this but it might help… He doesn’t have a good relationship with his family.” Manager Kim said.

“How so?”

“Ask Jongin…If he’s comfortable with telling you he will, he never talks about this topic. He only told me because he over drank and started spewing things about his family.” Manager Kim said. “I don’t think he wants to talk to a psychiatrist. He’s very concerned about his image and all, his fans thinks that he’s happy and loves what he does.”

Hana nodded. “I’ll try to talk to him when I go check up on him.” She said. “Is this his first time being hospitalized?” She asked.

Manager Kim nodded. “He refused to go to the hospital because he was afraid that it would get out to the press that he’s sick and what not. He’s supposed to have his comeback stage tomorrow and as much as he wants to perform, I hope he doesn’t because at his rate, he’s going to get very sick if he over works himself again.” He said.

“I understand.” She said dryly. “I’ll …make sure he stays here for the night and tomorrow. Anything else?”

Manager Kim shook his head before touching her arm. “A-Ah.” Then he pulled away. “Are you…okay? You didn’t look too good before…” He said.

Hana shook her head. “I’m fine.” She whispered before walking away.

 

Meanwhile

Nurse Min came in to check on Kai, she pressed the button on the IV drip before glancing at him.

“Excuse me…”

Nurse Min looked down when she heard a small voice. “Yes?”

Kai looked over. “That doctor…what was her name? She looks so sad, why is that?” He asked although he saw, he just needed to make sure.

“Dr. Jung.” Nurse Min said. “Ah, are you concerned about her? She has depression.” She shook her head. “Poor thing, although she looks fine on the outside, she’s torn up into pieces on the inside.” She sighed.

Kai shook his head. “I mean her real name.”

“Hana, Jung Hana.” Nurse Min said. “Why?”

He took a deep breath and looked around at the uninviting vicinity of the emergency room. “She’s different from all the doctors I’ve met, she didn’t try to stab me with a needle like all the others…she calmed me down without it.”  

“Ah, right? Hana is known for that, even though she’s a bit young she takes in what the patient has to say before anything, she considers the patient’s preferences.”

“Young?”

Nurse Min nodded. “She’s only twenty six; you could ask her about it soon, alright? For now, sleep and get some rest, you can get discharged in two days.”

“Why not tomorrow?”

“Doctor’s orders.” She simply said.

 

Hana walked down the halls with her hands in her pockets, she stopped when a face caught her eye. She looked up to see Kai on a music program, his hair was swooped up and he had the dark smoky eye, his eyes were a different color and he looked so energetic and charismatic. “He’s nothing like that in real life.” She mumbled.

She walked into his room and checked his vitals, he was sound asleep. Hana glanced at him, he looked so fragile and vulnerable in the hospital gown.

Kai opened his eyes when he heard the beeping noise, sitting up, he saw Hana by his monitor.

“Dr. Jung…” He whispered.

Hana turned around. “You should sleep more.” She said. “You’re overworked, your body lacks a lot of nutrients and you’re emotionally scarred, are you sure you don’t want to see a psychiatrist?” She asked.

Kai shook his head.

“Jongin-shi.”

“It’s Kai.” He reminded her. 

“Kai is the giddy man I saw on stage and Jongin is the mere human sitting before me.”

Kai raised an eyebrow. “What are you talking about?”

Hana sighed. “Kai and Jongin? They’re two very different people.” 


[a/n] How was chapter one? Hope it didn't disappoint >< 
Heh, who else is excited to watch their love story unwind? ;^)