Progress.

A Second Chance At Love.

We arrived at Sungjong's house and went up to his room. I guess they must've been really close friends for Sungjong to lend L his house key. His parents were really kind about it too and allowed it, even though we would be alone since it was during the time when they were at work.

There was silence as we both sat down. L scratched his neck and glanced sideways at me. 

"So, should I...begin? I don't know where to begin though." He bit his lip, at a loss for words. That simple action seemed to wash over me in the form of a heat wave. I coughed uncomfortably. 

"Er, how should I sing for the sound to come out properly and nicely?"

He pointed at his stomach area. "Don't sing from your throat, but through here. Let's try a simple scale as warm up then." And with that he sang a few notes beautifully. It made my heart flutter and I wasn't sure why, but I tried to surpress the feeling and tried to follow his example.

He shook his head. "You're singing from your throat. Sing from your diaphragm. Think about it while singing. Like this." He sang a few more notes for me. I tried again, but he still shook his head. "Push from your diaphragm.  You should be feeling some tension there. Try again."

Embarrassed, I only managed to squeak out a few notes. Sighing, he walk over to where I was sitting on the floor and kneeled down beside me. "Sing from heeeere." He pressed his hand against my stomach and told me to try again. Feeling more flustered, I did worse than before.

He looked up at me. "I don't feel your muscles clenching here. Look, here."

He brought my hands up to my stomach amd pressed his hand over his. "Sing and imagine the sound vibrating from here." Determined not to embarrass myself again, I focused and sang a chord perfectly. His eyes brightened. "You got it!" I smiled, relieved. "Alright then, I think I kind of got the hang of it. Should we compose the lyrics first before we try singing?"

"Sure. Let's listen to the music that they composed then. L got up the fidgetted around on Sungjong's laptop, searching for the music that he and Bora has finished. He pressed play and sat back down beside me while we both listened to the piece (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM9mutlMumc).

I nodded along, enjoying the first verse; it was light and enjoyable. As the music progressed into the chorus, I felt an impact and looked over at L He looked back at me, both of us with our eyes slightly widened.

When the music ended, I smiled at L. "They did such a great job with it!" He cracked a smile back at me. "Now I'm going to feel burdened about the lyrics. We need to decide on a genre for it."

I paused and thought about the melody. "It sounded romantic, like the beginning of a love story. I think romance would suit as the genre for this song."

He thought about it and nodded. "Ne. We have to start on the lyrics right away. We have two days to write it, two days to sing it, and one day to edit it. This needs to be perfect.". I looked at him, suprised at his determination. "Okay. Should the lyrics be about the beginning of a love story?"

With that, we worked on the lyrics for hours, debating on a few lines and editing the words over and over again. At nine in the evening, we finished most of our parts. I smiled in triumph as I looked at our lyrics sheet. I can't believe our lyrics sounded so beautiful and romantic...

The door to Sungjong's room opened and we looked back, startled. Sungjong walked in tiredly and when he saw us he jumped. "Yah! You guys are still here?! It's NINE O'CLOCK!" 

"MWOH?!" I checked my phone. 9:00 P.M.

"Omo, I didn't even realize how late it was! It's all dark out!" I scrambled up and looked through the window. How do I get home like this?

Sungjong walked over and and tapped my shoulder. "It's okay, I can walk you home. Just pack your things quickly before it gets even darker." I turned and looked into his tired eyes. He must've worked really hard on his project because he eyes were a little bit bloodshot and he kept rubbing his temple.

"Aniya, Sungjong you look really tired. I'll just be careful and walk quickly." I hurried and began to pack my bag, troubled thoughts clouding my mind.

L must've sensed it because he stood up and coughed awkwardly. "Uh, I can walk you home. I have time anyway. You won't be safe walking home alone when it's this dark. Do you even live close to here?" I shook my head.

"Exactly. Hurry, let's go." I hesitantly nodded and finished up packing my things. Sungjong walked us to the door and bid us goodbye.

As we started walking, I kept peering around me, feeling increasingly worried as the night got darker. L glanced at me. "Why do you keep looking around?"

"It's really dark..." I looked around nervously and quickened my pace. He took longer strides to catch up to me and pulled me closer to him. "Then don't walk so far away from me. I don't bite," he muttered. My heart skipped a beat at the action but I quickly brushed it off as just fear of the night. "I never said I was afraid of you.."

He peered down at me.

"You have been painfully awkward around me, you know?"

I looked up, surprised at being discovered "M-mwoh? Ani..." He raised an eyebrow at me. "See? Awkward turtle right there. Lighten up Hwayoung-ah. You sound like you're speaking formally to me even when you're not!"

I looked down and frowned. Did I? I didn't realize. I can't help it though...

He nudged me. "Let's become closer Hwayoung-ah. I can't work with you like this. You're too stiff!" I scowled at him

"I am not stiff! But fine, I'll try to be less awkward...oppa.". He leaned over.

"What was that?" I jerked away. "N-nothing! Nevermind!" I walked quickly ahead, mentally scolding myself for such an embarrassing failed attempt.

L laughed behind me. "I heard you call me oppa!" he called, jogging to catch up to me.

"S-shut up! Why'd you ask if you already heard me?" I shoved him lightly to the side. He laughed nudged me back.

"Well it worked didn't it? You're more like a normal person now." I scowled at him and ignored him while walking home for the rest of way.

I guess he wasn't that unapproachable after all.


Annyeong readers! I'm terribly sorry if you found my chapters short or boring ): They're definitely not filler chapters, but I'm trying to give you information leading up to the plot so you won't be lost. Forgive author-nim? TT^TT Please read on and tell me what you think! It's my first AFF after all $: Please give it lots of love! (: Thank you!