Warming Up.

A Second Chance At Love.

Sungyeol and I arrived to class the next day with identical bumps on our foreheads, sparking the curiosity of many others. Sungyeol didn't seem to be much fazed about it, but I was dying with embarassment on the other hand. It was the size of half a golf ball, not to mention that it was flaming red; what's not embarrassing about that? 

I had lightly curled my side bangs this morning in an attempt to hide as much of the hideous protrusion as possible, but the hair could only cover so much when it's right smack on the middle of my forehead. Sungyeol, being with three of my classes with me caused the curiosity to rise even higher as people could see that our bumps were on the same spots on our foreheads respectively. This earned quite a few whispers as to how that could've happened. Not wanting to grab even more attention, I tried to look away and ignore them, but some of them were so filthy it made me squirm.

Sungyeol noticed my discomfort and shielding me from the snarky whispers, turned around to face them. "Geumanhae! Stop making up disgusting lies. Don't you have a life to tend to?" I discreetly looked over in his direction and spotted him glaring at the few people who were snickering at us before. They stopped and looking slightly fummed, muttered a few incoherent sentences and turned back, finally leaving us alone.

I turned to Sungyeol and smiled softly at him. "Gomawo, Oppa. But honestly, this is really embarrassing, and I can't even hide it under a hat." I despaired. He nodded followed with a scoff. "Jebal, I think I have it worse than you, Young-ah. I look like I have an unicorn horn growing out of my head, you know."

I glared at him and lightly slapped his shoulder. "You have your dumb fringe to cover it, you pabo! I have nothing to cover it! NOTHING." He opened his mouth to say something but I cut him off, "Plus, you weren't the one who out from the impact, you know," I mimicked him.

He smirked. "Well, I'm not a tiny little weakling, so why would I~?" I scowled and slapped his shoulder playfully. "Yah, are you picking a fight?" I grabbed my mechanical pencil, "I will jab this onto your bump like I was popping a balloon!"

He was about to scoff again when he saw me raise it up and aim it for his head. "Yah, yah, YAH! I'M YOUR OPPA!" I laughed like a deranged lunatic, my own bump temporarily forgotten. "We're the same age okay, I'm just calling you oppa because you're a few months older than me~" Looking around and making sure that the teacher had already left us with our free period, I stood up from my seat and tried to reach for his head. 

He panicked and started to inch away from me until he hit the wall, trapping himself with me standing between him and his only escape route. "If I don't murder you with my pencil, I will poke it with my finger!" I laughed loudly and advanced on him, like a predator closing in on its prey.

His eyes widened and he dodged my first aim, scrambling to get out of my reach. "YAH! You know I have a low tolerance of pain! HAJIMAAAAA!" I ignored him, laughing at his panic and continued to aim playfully with my pencil while he squirmed around. He reached out one of his long arms and snatched the pencil out of my grip, and a look of triumph crossed his face. He smiled smugly at me as he threw it across the classroom, out of my reach.

He leaned back in his seat and clasped his hands behind his head, closing his eyes. "Aigoo, our little Young-ah doesn't have her weapon. Eottokke?" Grinning at his stupidity, I reached out a finger and poked his bump. "I still have fingers, you pabo."

He yelped and jumped, holding his forehead gingerly. "YAH! MICHEO-SEO?" I laughed, eyes twinkling as I continued to reach for his head. "Ani~"

We kept this up and unconsciously I was getting closer and closer to him, leaning over him while he leaned back. He successfully grabbed one of my hands and pulled it to his side, away from his forehead after having it get poked multiple times already. I pulled it back towards his head and continued with my other hand until he had both of my wrists in his grip.

He laughed and pulled them to his sides, causing me to spread my arms wide in a flying motion. The action made me lose balance and I fell forward, with a yelp of surprise. His eyes widened and he quickly let go of my hands to wrap his arms around my waist as I fell on him, catching me. I pulled my head back and was about to scold him when I met his eyes, like wide pools staring back at me. It made my heart race and the words on the tip of my tongue were suddenly lost.

I had my mouth agape and just kind of stuttered , stumbling over my words as I struggled to put them into sentences. He stared back at me, eyes widened and gulped. I quickly tugged my wrists out of his grip and pulled back. "Y-yah, we could've bumped our foreheads again," I managed to utter out. 

He coughed and rubbed the back of his neck. "Well, I'm careful," he turned to me and smiled, dispelling the momentary awkwardness that had formed between us. I tentatively smiled back, and shook my head at his childish behaviour. "You're cool, Oppa. Having the mind of a five year old child must be nice, huh?"

He spluttered and gaped at me. "Mwoh? Five year old child? Jebal, I'm more mature than you!" he glared and scrunched up his nose in distaste. I laughed and poked his side. "See what I mean? Childish~"

"Do you want to go? Hmm?" he challenged me playfully, feigning anger. I bursted out laughing and ruffled his hair. "Aigoo, I feel like I'm taking care of a child when I'm around you. Dumbing down everything for you~" I widened my eyes and batted my eyelashes at him playfully, pretending to be innocent. He scoffed and put a hand up to my face. "I'm so done with you, Young-ah, you bully."

I laughed and turned back to my work. "Aww, you know you can't stay away~"

He looked down at his notebook and paused for a bit before softly saying, "Yeah, I can't." I turned aorund to glance at him, picking up a weird undertone to his voice. I was just kidding, why is he so serious? What is he thinking...

I shook my head and dismissing that thought, focused on our work.

 

Going to lunch, I thought back to how my heart started beating like crazy when I was really close to Sungyeol. I frowned in puzzlement. Why do I feel like that? Do I...like him? I sneaked a peak over at him, who was walking beside me along with Bora and Sungjong. My thoughts immediately deviated to L, confusing myself even further.

Well, I guess it's about time I got over L. It's not like he'll go back to me if I continued to wait anyway. Might as well.

That is, if Sungyeol likes me.

Well, he's always been there for me, right?

He's always so caring and understanding to me.

Always patient when I ranted about my conflicts with L.

I think...

I do like him.

A myriad of thoughts clogged my mind and I had long ago zoned out of their conversations. I felt a sudden tug and looked up, clueless. Sungjong knocked the top of my head lightly and squinted at me as he let go of my arm. "Is Hwayoungie in there? You almost walked right into a guy right there, you pabo. Keep your head out of the clouds!" I smiled sheepishly at him and thanked him, deciding to stay close to him in case I get lost in my thoughts again. He turned to me as we reached the cafeteria.

"What were you thinking anyway? You looked troubled." I blinked at him, thinking to think of a believable lie on the spot. "Oh, uhm, I was just stressing over the amount of homework I have today. It's nothing, Sungjongie, let's eat," I walked ahead of him to Bora and sat down with her. Sungyeol reached my other side and sat down, while Sungjong sat in front of us between Woohyun and Sunggyu.

Woohyun looked up and pointed at our foreheads. "Feeling better, you two?" I bursted into laughter with Sungyeol glaring at me while the rest looked at us in confusion. Taking the opportunity, Sungyeol reached over and poked my forehead, causing me to yelp really loudly, turning heads of many students in the cafeteria. I shrunk down under their gazes while he in turn bursted out laughing.

Once the students turned their attention away from me, I glared at him and smacked my hand over his bump, rubbing it violently, spreading the pain as much as I could. His laughter turned into a high-pitched scream and he almost toppled back in his chair if I wasn't gripping onto his shirt to render him trapped in my hands.

"YAH YAH YAH YAH YAH GEUMANHAE GEUMANHAEEEEEEEEEEE! HWAYOUNG!" I finally stopped after give his bump one last hard press, throwing my head back and gripping my sides in fits of laughter.

He moaned and held his head as the pain spread. "I only poked you because you tried to jab my forehead with your pencil!" 

"I couldn't even find the pencil back after you threw it across the classroom!" I retorted, also rubbing my own forehead.

"That's only to protect myself!"

"I won't kill you!"

"Yah! You had a murderous glint in your eyes and threatened me! What was that, huh?!"

"Stop making things up, you child!"

"YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! YOU WANT TO GO?!"

"LET'S GO!"

"ARRRRRGHHH!"

We continued to bicker on, forgetting about Woohyun's initial question as the rest of the group watched us. Dongwoo laughed and poked Woohyun. "They seem to have gotten pretty close recently. Practically like an old married couple~" Woohyun laughed and gave him a high five. "Even donning couple looks~ Identical bumps on their heads for everyone to see~ Show-offs~"

We stopped our bickering and both stared at them. I spluttered and stopped trying to strangle him. "M-mwoh?!" Sungyeol also stopped and a blush crept up his face as he stared at them wide-eyed. The two bursted out laughing, falling over each other as if our reactions were the funniest things in the world, complete with the seal clapping, knee slapping, and I'm-running-out-of-air gestures.

The exaggerations of their reactions brought the attention of a few of the others who turned around, looking between the two of us and the other two idiots. "What happened?" asked Sunggyu.

I glared at the two of them and pointed a finger in their direction accusingly. "Take care of your pabo dongsaengs, Sunggyu oppa!" He turned over to look at them in confusion and then back to me. "Wae? They're always like that, what happened?" I found no words because I felt embarassed to say the words myself and just ended up gesturing between the two of them and the two of us awkwardly with my mouth hanging open. Sungyeol coughed and reached over to throw a plastic spoon on them, telling them to stop being so crazy, as Sunggyu lost interest and resumed his conversation with Hyorin.

The two of them finally stopped and looked over the two of us with knowing smiles. "Don't worry, our Hwayoungie, we'll keep your secret for now~" teased Dongwoo. Woohyun nodded with a mischevious look in his eyes. "If you buy us meat, we'll definitely keep it a secret until you guys decide to go official~" I scoffed in disbelief, speechless at the absurdity of the situation. They completely ignored my reaction and went over to Sungyeol, harassing him with their "congratulations".

"Yaah, you little rascal! You didn't even tell us you liked her hmm?"

"You totally need to buy us meat. We deserve it!"

"Sungyeolie~"

"My dongsaeng-ah~"

At one point, they started to pull him towards them, attempting to show their affection and teasings by forcing a kiss on his cheeks while he squirmed and called for help, looking like he was trying to escape a monster. Out of nowhere, Soyu popped up at the mention of meat. "Meat? Who's buying meat? I'd like some! Sungyeol-ah, is it you? Buy your noona some meat!" With that, she added her contribution to the harassment, poking him here and there, resulting in random high pitched screams as the three of them seemed to swallow him up.

I exploded with laughter at the sight of the ridiculous scene in front of me, making sure to keep a safe distance. Dasom and Hoya turned over, looking at me in confusion. "Who's getting harassed over there? What happened?" Hoya asked. Dasom tippy-toed to look past the three, trying to identify the poor victim. "Is it Bora unnie again? Her screams are always the loudest," she says with a hint of amusement.

I only laughed harder, clutching my sides and shaking my head harder. Hoya frowned, focusing on the screams. "Is it Sungjongie then? He has some really high pitched screams as well." Sungjong leaned over at the mention of his name. "What? Wae?"

The couple looked at him then back to me. I tried to tell them through my insane laughter, struggling to form a proper sentence, "It's...S-sungyeol...OPPA!"

"MWOH?! I never knew he had such girlish screams," Hoya said in surprise, which quickly turned to amusement, shaking his head. He got up and pulled Dasom with him, saying that they were going to head out for the remainder of the lunch period.

I noticed L looking at me, and when our eyes met he gave a strained smile before looking away again. Weird, what's going on?

I turned my attention back to the Sungyeol, who had more and more harassers by the second, all making him buy them meat. Seeing how the situation was going too hysterical, Sunggyu and I went in and dragged Sungyeol out, who ended up on the floor of the cafeteria.

He looked at the both of us, with an expression like he had just walked out of war, panting on the ground, hair and uniform messed up. He was missing one shoe and his uniform shirt was open, his wifebeater underneath riding up on his stomach, revealing a faint line of abs that I didn't know he had. They look pretty nice though... 

I flushed and quickly averted my thoughts, pulling down his wifebeater and buttoning his shirt for him while Sunggyu went to find his shoe. He looked down, a bit embarassed but too exhausted to do anything about it. "G-gomawo, Young-ah," he said with a hoarse voice, "But you should've...saved me...earlier...I feel...like I got...trampled on by...a stampede of lions." I laughed, finishing his last button and reaching over to fix his hair. "It was too funny, Yeol oppa! I was dying from laughter~" he glared at me while I laughed in response, "It was really daebak~"

He groaned. "They have my wallet," he whined. Desparate, he took off his other shoe and went back, grabbing the wallet out of Sungjong's hands and snatching all of his money back. "I'll treat you guys to a meal for dinner, okay? I don't have the money to buy you all meat, you sharks!" the group cheered as he glowered at them, returning the contents to his wallet. "Now give me my shoe back."

♫~◄~♔~►~♫

After school, I walked with Sungyeol to my locker, packing my bag. "Are you sure you want to treat the others, Oppa? They're going to rob you," I laughed. He shook his head and sighed. "Gwenchana, it's just once. They'll pay next time." 

"If you say so, Oppa."

He looked down at his hands nervously before looking back at me. "Young-ah, you know the restaurant near your house? The one that's around two blocks away?" I nodded slowly, not understanding why he was being so awkward for.

He cleared his throat. "Do you want to go there for dinner tonight with the group?" I laughed, "Wae, Oppa? Because it's cheaper there than other restaurants? " He hurriedly denied it, gaping at me. "Ani! Do you think I'm cheap or something? I was just asking..."

"Then why did you ask me like that?" I questioned, furrowing my brows. His eyes darted between my locker door and me. "Well, dinner is going to be at 6, and if I go there it'll take really long, so...I was wondering...since it's already 3...do you mind if I just went with you to your house...?"

I felt heat start to creep up my neck and forcefully chided myself that Sungyeol just didn't want to waste time. I nodded slowly, closing my locker door, "S-sure, let's go to your locker first."

The walk home made my heart race when even though we only had normal conversation. I felt the same thrill of when L first walked me home in the beginning of our relationship, and I'm not sure if that was a good thing or not.

Arriving to my house, I brought some food for the two of us and sat down on the couch. "What do you want to do while waiting?"

"Blow off homework," he laughed, "It's a Friday! " I laughed and nodded in agreement. "We still need to find something to do."

He thought for a bit. "Let's just watch a movie, they help time pass by quickly. Do you have any DVDs?" I shook my head. "Not unless you want to watch children's movies-I haven't bought them in a while." 

He raise an eyebrow at me. "What have you been doing all these years then, you entertainment deprived child?" I laughed and slapped his arm lightly. "I watch dramas online! Movies are too short for my liking." He looked at me with disapproval. "Such typical girl behaviour; you're so sentimental towards the characters and plots!"

I glared at him. "What is wrong with that, hmm? Dramas are daebak! The characters are so amazing-I mean the males leads are just way up there-and the plot just draws you in within a few episodes without fail and-" I paused, looking at Sungyeol, who looked like he was trying hard and failing miserably at stifling his laughter. "Wae?"

He finally bursted out laughing. "Aigoo, you should've seen the light in your eyes when you were talking about dramas! Complete devoted passion! Kyeopta, Young-ah~"

I gave an embarassed smile and placed a hand on my hot cheek. "Well, I really like it..." He just continued laughing, amused at my sudden outburst of excitement. An idea popped into my mind and I dragged him upstairs to my room. He looked at me questioningly, then slightly horrified. "Y-young-ah, w-what are you doing?"

I turned around to scowl at him before continuing up the stairs with him in tow. "Get your mind out of the gutters, Oppa! My computer's in my room. You're watching a drama with me whether you like it or not. A new episode just came out today~!" I practically skipped up the steps to my room, opening the door and the abruptly closing it again with haste, turning to him.

He raised an eyebrow at me, peering at the door. My eyes widened and I quickly turned him around. "I forgot to clean my room! Wait a minute," and rushd into my room, hiding all the things I didn't want him to see and straightening a few items out before opening the door again.

"Come in, Oppa," I said with a sheepish smile, "Mianhae, I didn't mean to make you wait." He chuckled and touseled my hair. "Gwenchana, just go watch your drama." I grinned and pulled up another chair beside mine's in front of the computer and turned it on.

The episode today was the , ridden with emotions, leaving me in fits of laughter in one moment, and tears streaming down my face in the other. The episode ended at a tearful moment, and I turned to Sungyeol to see him with tears b in his eyes. I giggled and gave him a tissue. "See, Oppa? I told you it was daebak! You're tearing up~" He scrunched up his nose at me and wiped his eyes. "Ani...but let's rewatch the past episodes."

I laughed and obliged, going back to the first episode. After a couple of episodes, I found myself nodding off, eyes closing on its own. "Oppa," I mumbled drowsily, "Wake me up when it's time to go, I'm really sleepy." He kept his eyes glued to the screen nodding absentmindedly. "Arasso, arasso."

I woke up to find myself with my head on his shoulder as he continued to watch the drama. I secretly smiled and looked at the time. 6:15 P.M. I jumped up from the seat and quickly closed the window, shutting down the computer. He looked at me startled and whined, "Yaah, I was just gettng to the good part! Why did you close it?" I pointed at the digital clock. "Oppa, we're late! Wait in the living room for me, arasso? I need to change quickly." He looked at my uniform and then back at his. "Aish, I completely forgot about it! Do you have anything I could borrow?"

I looked at him in exasperation and ran over to Abba's room, pulling out a simple shirt and cardigan. "Here here, go change in the washroom over there. Hurry up!" We quickly changed and in my haste, I forgot to bring a jacket with me and only realized that when we were runing halfway down the path with me shivering. Sungyeol looked over, noticing me and took off his jacket, putting it over my shoulders. I looked at him in surprise.

"Oppa, you'll be cold." He shook his head and urged me forward. "Gwenchana. You look like a human popsicle right now, so I don't think you should be talking." I looked at him with my dad's shirt and thin cardigan. I pulled the jacket over the two of us as best as I could, which resulted with our sides pressed up against each other. He looked at me, surprised. "We can try to be warm together, Oppa," I laughed, and he smiled, wrapping an arm around my shoulder to secure the jacket from falling as we continued running. "Arasso."

We arrived to the restaurant to see the entire group staring accusingly at us, complaining about how late we were and how they had to wait for us on empty stomachs because they were nice enough to wait for us before ordering the dishes. They saw us walk in, shaking off the cold and sharing one jacket. Dongwoo and Woohyun grinned at us like two pabos. "Eyyyyy, see, I told you two! Don't worry, your secret's safe with us," Woohyun winked, "But you owe us an extra dish. Price doubled up!" 

Turning a bit red, I scowled at the two of them and threw Sungyeol's jacket at their faces, causing them to erupt in laughter while the rest of the group looked at us in confusion. "What secret?" Sungyeol and I took a seat beside each other on the edge, in front of L and grabbed a menu. "Nothing. Didn't you guys say you were hungry? Let's order food already," Sungyeol muttered, as I peeked over his shoulder at the menu. I caught L staring at us and looked up. Like earlier today, he just gave me a strained smile and looked away. 

I frowned, thinking about my feelings for Sungyeol. L is the past. I think I like Sungyeol now and the past feelings are just pulling on. It's nothing. Don't think about it, Hwayoung-ah. 

I returned my attention to the menu when Sungyeol poked me, asking me if I wanted some soup. 

A memory will always be a memory. You can't revive the moment that the memory was created. I have to move on.


I'm back with another update! Sorry it took so long haha, I've been busy lately. In addition, I created another fanfic, which also pulled my concentration apart ^^;; Feel free to check out Autumn Aspirations ! It's of a more different genre and setting, and is an EXO fanfic (: Please enjoy that too! And thank you to WhiteWings, SilverFeathers, InspiritEXO-L and LoveToInfinity for subscribing! My subscribers are growing! :'DD I will continue to work hard and try to update often, delivering a great chapter each time. This chapter was over 4000 words LOL. To make up for my absence, I made a longer chapter (: Until next time, bye!