My Fruity Teenage Love 1

Fruit Basket
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Let the drama begin…

 

 

Chaerin’s POV

 

Puberty . I thought when I have my period just like Hyori Unnie keeps on telling me before, I’ll grow taller and have a y curves. However, all I have is a round fatty body and pimples on my chubby face. Looking myself in the mirror, I can’t help but curse my chinky eyes. It’s as if I am always asleep because they disappear whenever I think or laugh. ‘They are too small for me that they can’t even see properly! Now I have no choice but to wear my eyeglasses.’ My hair doesn’t help either. They keep on sticking out of place and just won’t listen to me whenever I tell them to behave inside my pigtail.  To top it all, I have this annoying heavy bangs that emphasizes my chubby face. ‘This is overly frustrating!’

 

Mommy told me that having baby fats are just normal for teenagers like me. Unfortunately, living my life surrounded by gorgeous French teenagers doesn’t look normal to me. Some fourteen years old girls are having the time of their lives while me? I have to deal with my overweight body and boyish personality. Yes, with my oversized hoodies and baggy slacks, I definitely look like a guy instead of the other way around.

 

I was never like that when I first enter high school. I started my freshman year in the same way I carried myself before. I used to wear cute dresses, cute headbands and cute shoes…until I grow bigger than my usual size. Maybe cute dress won’t make a cross eyed chubby girl pleasing in the eyes. Also, being an Asian gave me a bad time dealing with those bullies who know nothing but to make fun of anything they seemed funny. Good thing my brothers never back down helping me and that was the time I decided to copy their personalities. I only have few friends because of my appearance and my nationality. I was fine with it in the beginning. I don’t need to be pretty like them anyway because I know someone’s already waiting for me back in Seoul. 

 

Or is he really waiting for me?

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Rinnie, help me fix the table. Your brothers are coming!” my Mom yelled from the kitchen. I sigh and fix my eyeglasses before leaving the mirror alone. Many things have changed ever since we migrated to France. Minho Oppa became outgoing and gained more friends outside his usual circle. Seunghyun Oppa became the serious type and likes to join underground rapping. Hyori Unnie went back to Korea after being accepted as a trainee thru her previous audition. My Unnie wanted to become a singer and Mom and Dad are willing to let her go and pursue her dreams. My parents didn’t change that much, although Daddy became too busy with his work. I, on the other hand, became the aloof teeny which is far from the Chaerin everyone used to know.

 

“Mom, can I join Oppa’s gig tonight? I just wanna watch his rap battle. They said, a talent scout will be present and they might recruit the winner as one of their trainees.” I ask while helping her preparing our dinner.

 

“Aigoo Rinnie, you’re too young to go outside at night. No.”

 

“But Mommy…I am already fourteen! Most of my classmates are already allowed to drink and enter clubs by their parents. Come on, I will be safe and Seunghyun Oppa is there, you know.”

 

“No Rinnie. Your Oppa will be busy with his competition and he can’t monitor you. As for those classmates of yours, they can wander at night because their parents don’t love them. Their parents let them go because they don’t want to see their faces! Don’t you like to stay with me instead? Mommy likes looking at your beautiful face Rinnie. Or we can watch movie here if you like. I’ll even cook you some waffles, how’s that sound?” she tries to convince me.

 

“Mommyyyy….” I whine.

 

“My decision is final Chaerin. It’s a NO. If I were you, I’ll just look for the new mails on the rack. I think I find—“

 

Before she can finish her sentence, I already dash towards the mail rack. I can’t contain my excitement while looking for a particular letter I’m receiving from someone every month. Once I spot the pink letter, I squeal in glee and kiss it multiple times. I know I look like a retard for doing so but this has been my constant reaction whenever he sends me a letter. I don’t know why but his words keep on touching my heart. He’s the only one who can uplift my bruise ego. Whenever I feel like I am the ugliest girl in the world, his words never failed to make me feel like I am the most beautiful one. His words of encouragement are surely effective!

 

I caress his written name and thank God for sending me my energy booster. The guy who promised to wait for me no matter what happened. Maybe if I tell my classmates that I have a childhood sweetheart, they won’t believe me. Imagine an ugly and fat girl having a sweet suitor? It’s a funny scenario right?

 

But for him, it’s not…

 

I giddily open the letter and read its content.

 

 

Dearest Strawberry,   How are you my Chaerinnie? I hope you are well and miss me in the same way I feel for you.   Sorry if I wasn’t able to call you more often this month. I am having a hard time now because YG Hyung told me that I might debut next year. Imagine that? After so many years of waiting, it’s finally happening! I know it’s too early to anticipate a good result but can you promise to support Oppa? I’ll do my best every day to be the best idol in Korea. If that happens, I promise to send you plane ticket as well as the ticket to my first concert in return.   Anyway, Christmas is approaching again! Is there any chance that you will go back here to spend your holiday with me? I have so many pending gifts to give you. Mommy told me that most of them won’t suit you anymore because you surely grew up into a fine lady now. I had a good laugh after she said that. She doesn’t know anything about our promise yet.   PS: I know that at this moment, you already know about my real intention before. Things might change between us but please give me a chance first before you back out from our vows. I am not joking around when I told you about my feelings. I maybe a kid that time when I told you one day I’ll marry you but my feelings is genuine. I really like you Chaerin…   Lots of love, ‘Jingyo Oppa’

 

 

I prevent myself from squealing out loud when I read the last sentence. ‘Seriously? How can he make me feel like I’m the prettiest girl in this planet? It’s been what? Almost eight years but he’s still there rooting for me.’

 

Or maybe he’s still rooting for the old Chaerinnie. The cute little girl who seems to be loved by everybody? ‘Will his feelings for me change once he sees me now?’

 

I dejectedly fold the letter and hide it in my pocket. ‘I hope to see him real soon…but how can I? For sure Mom and Dad will opt to spend our holiday here like the usual.’

 

I sigh in frustration.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Third Person’s POV

 

A week after receiving Jiyong’s letter, Mr. Lee announces the heartbreaking news about his eldest daughter…

 

“Your Hyori Noona/Unnie can’t spend her Christmas this year with us…”
 

“What?!” Minho immeditaly reacts.

 

“Why is that Dad?” Seunghyun asks while sipping his coffee.

 

“Her agency called us last night explaining that Cherry is too busy with her practice. As the last girl who made it to the lineup of their upcoming girl group, she can’t afford to travel from Seoul to France. That is why I had to discuss this bad news with you. I know that most of you already have plans for holiday break but—“

 

“Dad, we can’t spend the Christmas without Unnie!” Chaerin whines.

 

“Strawberry…” her mother tries to explain but she talks back again.

 

“Eating our favorite fruits together during Christmas Eve is already a tradition to our family. We can’t break that tradition just because Unnie can’t go home!”

 

“I know my daughter that’s why—“

 

“Besides, my only plan during holiday break is to sketch. I think I can still do it wherever we go. Why don’t we just go back to Seoul and spend our Christmas with Unnie?”

 

“I was just about to say that.” Mr. Lee sighs. “If only you let me finish talking first.”

 

“We’re going back to Korea?” Minho can’t contain his excitement.

 

“Do we really need to?” Seunghyun nonchalantly asks.

 

“Why, you have other plans Banana?” their

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter