Let the game begin

The Playlist

“The most expensive thing in this world is trust.” Van said. He visited his father’s tomb every Fridays for ten years. “It can take years to earn and just a matter of seconds to lose” he continued. His heart filled with so much pain and anger.

“I’m just warming up dad.”

“I can take you home Pie.” Kim said and smiled at her mom. She’s been discharge after three days but need to rest for a weeks to have full recovery. “Isn’t that too much Kim? Your dad already paid our bills and you’re taking us home.” Mrs. Manaying responds. Kim took their bags and put it at the back, as she closes the compartment “It’s okay Mrs. Manaying. I’m not asking for anything. Pie is my friend anyway.” She says.

Pie’s mother smiles at her and glimpse to her daughter and Kim. The connection of the two bothers her since the day Pie introduced her. Compared to Pei and Jane, Kim is the first person Pie never talks about. She could tell that there’s something going on between those two. “What are you taking Kim?” Mrs. Manaying asked. Pie was on her side with her face flaring with nervous. “Software Engineering, “Kim answers without taking her eyes off the road.

“Oh! Your parents must be proud of you! They got an engineer daughter.” She said. Kim smiles and slowly maneuvers the steering wheel on her left. “Mom, did you know that Kim created a website for their company? They used it to attract clients abroad. Isn’t it amazing?” Pie says and holds her mother’s hand. She was impressed. “Wow! You must be a computer geek?” she teased.

“And she can cook! Computer geek plus chef equals Computer chef!” Pie continued. Her mom seemed amazed with Kim’s personality. It was way too different with other tomboys she can see around. She was not judging Kim but she knows what Kim exactly Kim is. “Did your mom teach you how to cook Kim?” Mrs. Manaying asked and the atmosphere suddenly changed. Few seconds before Kim answers back, “I just watch her doing the ‘chef thing’ when I was a kid.” She stops the car when the traffic light turns to red. “Where is she?” Pie’s mother asked then Kim sighed. “She’s gone,” she said softly with sadness in her voice. She was holding the steering wheel with one hand while the other place on her lap. “She died when I was seven with my brother.” She continued.

Pie and her mother stare at each other, “I’m sorry to hear that.” She said. They saw the sadness in her eyes from the mirror. “It’s okay Mrs. Manaying.” She answered. It took them twenty minutes to reach their house. Their house cleaner open and close the gate when Kim park the car in the garage. She was in forty’s but moving like she’s in twenties. Her name is Nana, she helped Pie to transfer her mother from the car seat into the wheelchair. Kim takes all the bags out from the car and follows them inside.

 The house is very clean and smells good. It was like in a beach house, the foundation of the house is cement, but the ceiling and other parts of it are made of woods. “You have a very cool house,” Kim says while her eyes roams around. Mrs. Manaying chuckles, “Pie’s dad designed this house.” She said. Kim saw their family picture on the top of the old piano. Pie’s baby picture, her dad and mom, and their family picture. “Is he an engineer?” Kim asked.

“Yeah, he’s a civil engineer.” Pie answered.

Mrs. Manaying orders Nana to prepare them food while having chatting. “Where is he?” Kim asked. She put down the bags and Pie took to put them upstairs. Kim and Mrs. Manaying were left in the living room. “He’s already gone. Not literally gone,” she answered with a low voice. Kim frowns and decide to take a seat. She was facing Mrs. Manaying, Kim felt her sadness when talking about her husband. “He have another family.” Mrs. Manaying said.

“I’m sorry to-“Kim said.

“No Kim, it’s okay.” Mrs. Manaying responds.

Kim plays with her keys, she has no topic to bring up with her. Until Mrs. Manaying ask, “You said, you have a brother?” Kim nods at her and suddenly Pie came downstairs, she changed her clothes and tied her hair. “What’s up?” Pie said and Pie glanced to her. Her heart beats so fast, did her mom asked Kim about them? Her face looked pale and starts panicking.

“Yes,” Kim said.

Pie gazes at her and gulp couple of times. “Yes? What?” Pie asked.

Oh my god. Did she confess it? Oh no! I’m dead.  She said to herself. “What happened to him?” Mrs. Manaying asked. Him? Who’s him? Pie asked herself. Maybe she was so worried about their relationship or whatever they have. She’s afraid that her mom might abandon her if she knew about her and Kim.

“He died in a car accident with mom,” Kim answered. “I was there when the accident happened. I was sitting at the backseat with my brother while mom is in the driver’s seat.” While she was telling it, they could feel her sadness and pain. “The front tires blew up and mom didn’t have the chance to control the car. Our car collides with a truck and everything turned black.” She could remember everything that happened that night while talking.

When Kim opens her eyes inside car, her brother was lying unconscious beside her. Windows shattered into pieces, twisted metals, and blood everywhere. She can’t move her legs, she was calling her mom but hear nothing. She tried to shove her brother but he didn’t opened his eyes. She heard someone rushing to the car, he was an old man with a beard. “Can you hear me?” he said. The man tries to open the door but it was stuck, he kicked it couple of times but it didn’t open. “I’ll be right back.” He said.

“Don’t…leave…” she struggles to speak. She reaches her brother again to wake him up but still there’s no answer. She was trying to let go of her legs, screaming in pain, exerting all of her efforts and suddenly her mother wakes up. “Kim?” she said.

“Mom? I’m here…” she answered back. She reaches for daughter’s hand but she can’t move any further. Her chest was pinned by a twisted metal from the window, she tried to look back to see her kids. “Kim, your…brother…” she said.

Kim checks her brother but still no response. “He’s not moving…mom…I wanna go home…” she answered. She was crying, begging her mom. She tried to look back again and saw her son, he was bleeding to death she assumed. He got wounds on his head. “Live on Kim…I love you…I love you both…” the last words seems like a knife that cuts her heart. Everything turned black…

“That’s my story…” Kim said to them. “About my…accident…it’s hard for you to-” Mrs. Manaying said. But Kim smiled at her, “I don’t want to stand there and do nothing…” she said.

Mrs. Manaying asked Kim to have lunch with them but she refused. She needs to go back to the university to attend her afternoon class. Pie walk with her to the garage while her mom talk to Nana. “Are…you…okay?” Pie asked and held her hand. But Kim squeezes hers softly, “I’m fine Pie. Take care of your mom, I’ll call you when I get there. Okay?” Kim said. She took out the keys and put in the key hole of her car, as she opens it Pie kissed her cheeks. “Okay. I will. Drive safely. Call me okay?” Pie said. Kim nods and went in the car. She smiled at her before leaving, “Tell your mom I look forward to her homemade recipes.” Kim shouted from her window.

“How’s Pie’s mom?” Zee asked. They were eating the vegetable salad made by Beam. She always stays in their room if she has free time. They used to play xbox 360 together, play cards, movie marathon, or simply sing along with Zee and Kim. “She’s fine.” Kim replied. She added more dressings to her salad, “We’re going to join the second batch of the graduating students this incoming weekend. I changed our schedule.” Beam said.

“Why? Something happened?” Kim asked. She takes out a pill from a medicine box and swallows it with water. “The president rescheduled us because of the invitation they’ve received from the community.” She replied.

Zee and Kim glance each other, “It’s a festival. The local officials want to hire us play music for their festival.” “I think it’s not a bad idea. It will be an exposure for us.” Kim said. Zee and Beam agreed to her. “We have the whole crew behind us.” Beam says and stares at Kim. “Why are you staring at me like that?” Kim asked. She checks her face if there’s any dirt on it.

“Oh! I know! Pie would be there!” Zee teased and stood in front of Kim. She pinched her cheeks, “Pie is going with us. Don’t worry.” Beam smiled. Kim shook her head and chuckled, “Don’t fool around Beam.” She replied. “Oh I’m not fooling around! She’s one of the volunteers to give free medicines. So, you’re not going to worry to be stuck with Yam around you.” Beam replied.

Two days before the community visit, the band is practicing their list of songs for the festival. Pie and Kim are both busy for their responsibilities. Kim has to practice with the band while Pie helps to prepare the boxes of the medicines. The only time they have for each other is dinner. Kim picks her up and eats their dinner together in her room. “You are really good Kim! I wish I can cook like you!” Pie praises her.

“I can teach you how to cook Pie.” Kim replied. Pie pops another fried chicken balls to , “Promise me that!” she said. “Oh God this is so freaking delicious!”  Kim only laughs at her while Pie keeps eating the chicken balls. “Slow down…I’m not going to compete with you.” Kim said. Spending little time together is something always to remember. The moments when they shared their laughs, talk nonsense, jokes around, ask each other how their day is, or just sit back and play music.

It's just another night
And I'm staring at the moon
I saw a shooting star
And thought of you
I sang a lullaby
By the waterside and knew
If you were here,
I'd sing to you

You're on the other side
As the skyline splits in two
I'm miles away from seeing you
I can see the stars
From America
I wonder, do you see them, too?

So open your eyes and see
The way our horizons meet
And all of the lights will lead
Into the night with me
And I know these scars will bleed
But both of our hearts believe
All of these stars will guide us home

 

Kim played the song of All of the Stars by Ed Sheeran. Pie was sitting on the chair outside in the balcony. Her heart beats fast while Kim is singing beside her, she enjoys every song Kim played. When Kim finished the song, she put the guitar inside and went back to Pie to sit beside her. They both watch the stars, drawing lines, and wishing. “Thank You. For saving my mom…” Pie said. Kim holds her and kisses it, “I didn’t know that she’s your mom until I saw her ID.” Kim said, “I will always do the same thing. If someone needs help, someone has to help.”

“Still, I want to say thank you.” Pie said.

Pie’s phone rings, it was Jane. “Where are you? We need to pack our things. Are you with Kim?” she yelled. Pie move away her phone and laughs, “Did she just scold me?” she said. “She’s with me Jane. Don’t worry. She’ll be there for ten minutes.” Kim yelled back and Pie hung up.

“You better go now. Jane will get mad at me.” Kim said. When they reached the door, Pie turns and get so close to Kim. Again, their distance is so close and they are staring each other, waiting for each other to make a move.

When Kim’s eyes went down on Pie’s lips, she was tempted. Pie gulp couple of times, she was staring at Kim’s too. Their breath mixed in the middle, the wind suddenly enters the room from open window. It was magical moment, Pie was holding Kim’s arms while Kim’s hands on her waist. Kim did the first move, she move towards her gradually while Pie step backwards until she leans the back door. Nowhere to go.

As Pie tries to swallow another, Kim catches her lips with hers. She was kissing her. Pie’s hands slowly reach Kim’s neck and put around her. She was kissing Pie softly, their lips are moving with their heads. Oh God. I want to kiss you more Kim. Pie thought. They won’t stop, they were catching their breaths while kissing each other. Until Jane called again, “Snap it!” Pie snaps and pull Kim towards her. Kim was laughing at her, “Answer it,” she said.

“Pie! Where are you!” Jane asked.

“I’m coming, okay?” she replied and hung up.

They didn’t kissed again but laugh at each other. “I better go now. My second mother is freaking out right now.” Pie said. Kim chuckled, “I can take you there.” Pie shakes her head and smiles at her, “No Kim. I might not let go of you. Let’s call it a day. I’ll see you tomorrow.” She replied. When she went outside the room, Kim was about to kiss her and instantly Pie wants to kiss her back in the lips but Kim kisses her cheeks. “Good night, Pie.”

“Good night, Kim.” She replied and walk away.

“How’s the plan going?” Van asked the caller. He was staring at the pictures of Jittaleela. Mr. Buraphan was on his study room and Van left in the living room to wait for him. “All set. Everything is ready. Everyone will think about it as an accident.” The caller replied. “Good. I’ll wait for the bad news.”

Van cuts off their conversation. He was staring at the big portrait of the Jittaleela family. The father, mother, brother and Kim. “You will never have a perfect family now.” Van murmured.

“The tires are in place.” A guy with hood said.

“Let’see, how can he manage to live his life if his beloved wife and kids die?” Van said.

“Let’s make it a good and dramatic car accident. I can jam the signal in that area so that they cannot contact anybody.” The guy said.

Van zoned in, “Even police won’t help you to save your daughter.” He murmured. “Everyone will remember her died in an accident.”

“Just like what I did to your wife and son”