Darkest secret

The Playlist

“Dad, what are you doing?” Van asked. He saw his dad with a knife on his hands. “Please, calm down. You’re scaring Waen.” He looks from him and back to his dad. “Tell them I didn’t took it. Tell them Van!” his dad yelled.

“Okay. Okay. I will dad, just please. Put down the knife.” Van tries to calm him. “No! You have to tell them now! Now! Now!” he yelled and starting to act violently. Van never seen his dad like this before. He was an image of a perfect father to them. A perfect man who never abandoned his responsibility as a father when his wife left them. Then all of a sudden he stopped, “It’s all bull! He never trust me all these years! Every word comes from his mouth is all lies Van. Trust me. You have to trust me!”

“I trust you dad…I always trust you…” he said.

“No! No! Tell them to reinvestigate! Tell them I didn’t do it! Van! Please….son…” he cried but then out of control. He’s screaming everywhere and stopped again when he heard his second son, Waen. “Shh…Waen, it’s okay. Daddy is here.” He carried his son and kissed him on the forehead. He was looking at the blade in his hand and look back to his youngest son. “Dad, please put him down. Don’t hurt Waen.” Van beg.

Everything turned black…

Emergency Hotline: Emergency Hotline, what’s your emergency?

Van: Send an ambulance now! Please! He’s bleeding!

Emergency Hotline: Calm down, tell me where you are?

Van: Sukhumwit 69. (screaming)

Emergency Hotline: Okay. I’m sending someone now. Hold on. What happened to him?

Van: I stabbed him. I stabbed my father! There’s so much blood, I can’t make it stop.

Emergency Hotline: Where did you stabbed him? Sir?

Van hung up.

He woke up from the nightmare if his past. Sweating and catching his breath. He glanced to his digital clock beside his family picture. He could recall every detail of his past. From the ambulance, they were watching the medics doing their best to bring their father to life.

He climbed out from the bed and went in the bathroom to take a shower. After half an hour, he came out from the bathroom with only towel covering his lower part of his body. He took out his two Button Black color Notch Lapel from the cabinet and lay it down on his bed. His phone rang, “Hello?” he said. Few words came from his mouth and then later, he smiled and ended their conversation.

Zee received a message from Kim telling her that she can’t go with her and Beam in shopping mall. “Kim can’t come with us.” Zee said and put her arms around Beam’s waist. “Why? Is she on a date with Pie?” Beam asked and grabbed moved her hand away from her waist. “Please behave. We’re in a public place.” She continued.

Zee shook her head and grinned at her, “She’s going to meet her father,” she replied.

It’s raining heavy outside when Kim drives to meet her father in their house. She was using her Bluetooth headset while driving. “Hello?” Pie answered. She was doing her homework with Jane. They stayed in the room because of the heavy rain outside. “You need a break with your homework Pie.” Kim said. “How did you know I was doing my homework, Ms. Kim the Spy?” she chuckled. Pie heard her laughing and the sound of the horns of cars with it. “You’re a studyholic person Pie.” She replied.

Jane looked at her friend and smiled then went back to her homework. “Where are you? Are you driving?” Pie asked. Kim saw the red light blinking and she slowly hit the brakes. “I’m in the road right now. Dad wants to meet up so, I drive alone.” She replied while looking at the traffic lights. “Please be careful,” Pie said softly.

“I will, I’ll call you later. Okay?” and she hung up.

Pie put down her phone and resumed to her homework. When Kim was about to hit the gas, she saw a woman with plastic bags on her hand soaked in the rain. The woman called for taxi but ignored her. Kim drives off but still looking at the mirror to check the woman. A taxi suddenly stops in front of her and let her in. Kim turns her attention back on the road. She was not far from the taxi where the woman was in. Unexpectedly, she heard a loud bang behind her. She stopped the car and look back. The taxi flipped over. She immediately get out from her car and went in the incident area.

Pieces of shattered window glass scattered on the road. The tires are still spinning and foods scattered everywhere. Kim bent down to check everyone inside, some of the locales run towards the taxi to help the victims trapped inside. “Maam? Can you hear me?” Kim asked.

Blood coming from the woman’s nose, she have wounds on her arms and legs. While the driver is still unconscious, some locales stopped the car who accidently collide with the taxi. “He’s drunk!” a guy shouted. They seized him while others try to open up the wrecked door of the taxi. “Call ambulance!” the girl in scooter. She parked her scooter and help Kim. “I’ll get her…” Kim said. She crawled inside to check the woman’s pulse. She put her two fingers on the neck and she can feel the pulse. “She’s alive!” Kim shouted. She carefully assists the woman to get out from the taxi while some of the locales trying to get the driver out his seat. “I have a car...I’ll driver her to the hospital.” Kim said while tying a piece of cloth to the woman’s legs. The girl helped her to carry the woman towards her car. “Can you come with me? You need to talk to her.” Kim said.

They were all soaked in the rain. Bloodstains are on her shirt. “Okay. I will.” The girl replied. Kim starts the engine and head to the nearest hospital in the area. “Can you hear me?” the girl said. The woman was conscious but her eyes are almost closing. The pain is all over her body. “Ye-ess.” She can talk but unable to move. “We’re almost there okay? Hang on. Don’t close your eyes.” The girl demanded.

The woman nods at her. “Aren’t we there yet?” the girl asked. “One block away…” Kim replied. They arrived after five minutes in the hospital. Kim immediately calls for assistance while the girl opened the passenger’s door. “What happened to her?” the doctor asked. She was checking the vital signs o the woman and flash a light into her eyes. “Her taxi was hit by a car behind it.” Kim said. “We will take care of her.” The doctor replied.

Kim and the girl felt relieved when they turned over the woman in the hands of the doctors. “You’re shaking, are you alright?” the girl asked. Kim looked pale and shaking, “I’m fine.” Kim replied. A nurse approaches them and gives a form, “Are you the relatives of the patient?” the nurse asked. “No, we just passers in the incident.” The girl said. “We need you to fill up this form. We need her information.” The nurse said.

“You wait here, I’ll go check the car.” Kim said. She was shaking but she manages to walk through her car. Blood everywhere, the accident happened many years ago suddenly flashed back. She was searching all over the passenger seat. “Damn it!” Kim yelled.

There was a wallet in her foot when she glances down. She took it and runs inside to give it to the girl. “I found this.” Kim said. The girl opened it saw an ID. “Solada Manaying.” The girl said. Kim turns swiftly when she heard the woman’s name. “What did you say?” Kim asked. “Her name is Solada Manaying. Do you know her?”

Kim immediately called Pie to confirm if she knows Solada Manaying. “She’s my mom Kim.” Pie answered. She was talking to Jane when Kim called. “I need you to come here, now.” Kim replied. A nurse suddenly interrupts her, “Please sign here,” the nurse said. “What happened Kim?” Pie’s voice is trembling. She got and looks for her jacket and umbrella.

“Where are you going Pie?” Jane asked. Pie starts to cry softly asking Kim what happened. “She’s in the hospital right now. Stay calm, please.” Kim said. She was crying heavily and Jane is alarmed. She changed her clothes to go with Pie. “I’ll go with you.” Jane said.

“Where are you Kim?” Pie said. They grabbed the umbrella and jackets and then went off. Jane was rubbing her back and holding Pie’s hands. It took them fifteen minutes to get in the hospital. “Where’s the emergency room?” Jane asked. They were in the receiving counter of the hospital. Kim was sitting beside the girl while waiting for the doctor to come out.

Kim could hear footsteps and voices around but ignore it. She has to calm down. Her trauma might rule her again. She needs to relax and empty her mind for a while. “Kim!” Pie called. They hugged each other. “What happened? Where’s mom?” she asked. Kim held her hand wiping her tears on her cheeks. “She’s in the emergency room,” she said. Pie broke down and cries on the floor.

“Pie, shhh. She’ll be alright.” Kim whispered into her ears and hugged her tight. They helped her sit in the blue chair attached on the walls. Kim didn’t let her go. “I was just about to meet my dad when I saw the accident. She was waiting for a taxi. When I passed her by, she got in a taxi but it just happens without warning. A drunk driver collides with the taxi.” Kim told them.

“Are you okay? You’re shaking…” Pie said with a low voice. “I’m fine, just cold.” She replied.

“We rushed into the taxi to check. She (Kim) was the one who pulled out your mom inside.” The girl said. She glanced at Kim when she was telling them what happened. Zee and her Kim’s father suddenly appeared in the hallway. “Kim!” Kim’s fathered called. He looks so worried and very tensed. “What happened?” Zee asked. Kim covered with bloodstains. The very first thing they have in mind, Kim’s trauma might go back after what happened to her brother.

Pie let her go and wipe her tears with Jane’s hankie. Kim hug her father and Zee, “I’m fine, nothing to worry.” The last words assured them. “Oh God! I thought something happened to you!” Mr. Buraphan hugs her tight and kisses her cheeks, “He called me as soon as he got the call from you.” Zee says and taps her shoulder. “Good to hear that you’re okay.”

The doctor finally came out from the ER, “the patient is in stable condition and she’s safe. Nothing to worry.” He said. They were all relieved from the news. “Thank God.” Pie spoke. Mr. Buraphan saw her behind Kim’s. He nods at Kim, asking her who’s the girl.

“Pie,” Kim said. She stood up and pay respect to Kim’s father. “Dad, this is Pie.” She introduced. “Hello Pie. Nice to meet you.” He said and offered a hand. “It’s my pleasure to meet you Sir.” Pie replied and glanced at Kim. He already noticed the connection of the two girls. She was Kim’s love of her life. “Can I borrow my daughter for awhile?” he said.

“Dad, can I stay with her for awhile?” Kim insists. Zee throws her arms around her shoulder. “We need to talk about something. Okay? It won’t take long.” She said. Pie nudges her telling her to go with them. “Jane is with me. I’ll be fine.” She said.

Kim followed her father in the counter. Pie could see them talking seriously. Zee was holding Kim while talking. Her father signed a check and handed over to a nurse. They paid the bills of Pie’s mom. “You have to see a doctor.” Mr. Buraphan said.

“I said I’m fine.” Kim replied.

“Can you just please…listen to me?” Mr. Buraphan answered back. After discussing with her father, she went back to Pie. “Pie,” Kim said. She was watching her mother when Kim enters the room. “Hmmm” she faced Kim.

“I need to go with Dad,” she said. Pie hugged her and cried on her shoulder. “Thank You so much…” she said. Pie heard her laugh softly, Kim was touching her head and slowly slides on it. “It’s okay.” She whispered. Kim wipes her tears, “I’ll be back soon. Okay? I promise.” She said and kissed her forehead. Pie nods at her then let her go.

“In, what are you talking?” Mr. Buraphan was on the phone in the study room. “Someone just delivered here box with pictures of us. Me, you, Kim and Zee.” In replied. “Is there any note? Maybe is just a prank. You know people nowadays.” He replied.

“There’s a note, ‘You will pay your debt with your life’ it says.” In said, she was scared for them. What this prank is true? But who will try to do this? “Debt?” he said. They never had a debt to anyone. “Check the mailing address,” he said.

“There’s no mailing address, it was left outside my house. My maid took it.” She said.

“Okay, calm down. I’ll send Van right now to investigate it. Okay?” he said and hung up. Van was standing in front of him wearing his business suit. “Is there any problem sir?” he asked. Mr. Buraphan glanced at him, “I need you to assist my sister. Someone delivered a suspicious box to her. I want some answers.” He said.

“I understand. I’ll report immediately when I have a lead.” He said and turned around. When he reaches the door, Mr. Buraphan called him. “Where’s your loyalty?”

“My loyalty is yours, Sir.” Van said. Mr. Buraphan smiled at him, “I trust you.” He said.

As the door closed, Van glanced back over his shoulder, the way we do when we know someone’s watching us. Kim saw him smiling. It was like an evil smile. “Who are you?” Kim asked. She walks towards him, staring at him without blinking her eyes. “My name is Van, Ms. Kim. I’m your father’s legal counsel for business.” He replied with a smile.

She had a bad feeling with a new guy. Before she could ask another question, her father came out. “Oh Kim!” he said. “Hi dad.” She replied. She didn’t look at her father but instead looking at Van. “Oh, by the way. I want you to meet my legal counsel. Van.” He introduced. Van offered a shake but she didn’t allow herself to handshake with him.

“I’ll go to Pie this afternoon.” She said.

“Okay but be careful,” he said and turn swiftly to Van. “Give me a ride in the office. Will yah?” he continued. Van bowed his head and smiles at him, “Ofcourse Sir.” He said automatically.

They leave the house immediately after Mr. Buraphan kissed Kim’s cheeks. Even she feels dizzy, she went to check Pie in the hospital and bought some fruits for her mother. Outside, she saw Pie talking to a doctor. “What happened?” she asked. The doctor left and Pie turns to her.

“Your father paid all the bills here.” She said.

“Yeah,” Kim replied.

“I will pay it soon. I promise. I will” she said and looked at her. Kim smiled at her and gave a basket of fruits. “Your mom need this.” She said. Kim was the peeling the orange while Pie went outside to buy their food for lunch when Pie’s mother woke up.

She wants to say something to Kim but she struggles to speak. “I can’t understand you…wait, I’ll call the doctor.” Kim said. “No,” she replied. He voice is rough but she manages to speak. “I’m thirsty.” Kim instantly poured the glass of water and let her drink while assisting her.

As she finish drinking, she glanced at Kim and recognized her face. She was the girl who took her out from the ruined taxi. “I know you…” she said.

“I’m here. Let’s eat, Kim.” Pie said as she enters the room. “Pie,” her mother said. Pie hugged her immediately and kissed her all over her face. She was so worried about her. Kim leaves the room to give them time to talk.

“I thought I’m going to lose you too…” Pie cried. Her mother caresses her cheeks and wipes the tears. “I’m here now Pie. Stop crying.” She replied and gazes outside. Her beliefs changed at one incident in her life. Being tomboy is not acceptable for her, a disgrace in society, people who are gays for her is like people who have mental disorders. But everything changed, Kim may be a tomboy but she’s human like her. She may not understand now but she’s willing to give a chance to her Kim better.

“Kim?” Pie said. She was leaning against the wall when Pie called her. “Uh?” Her mother can see them talking outside. She was studying Kim from head to foot. What’s her relationship with her daughter. “Mom wants to meet you.” Pie said. Kim’s face turned red and glance inside. “Are you sure you want me to meet your mom?” she say while smiling at Mrs. Manaying.

All of the sudden, Pie grabbed her hand and went inside. “Mom, this is Kim.” Pie said. “Pie’s friend.” Kim continued and Pie gaped at her. “Oh, my savior is my daughter’s friend. I’m glad to meet you Kim.” She said.

“Me too Mrs. Manaying.” Kim replied.

“And thank you for saving me out there.” She said and glanced at her daughter. She felt Kim’s hand is shaking at sweating. “You’re welcome Mrs. Manaying. But I’m not the only one who saved you. I was with someone. She was the one holding you at the back of my car.” She said.

The atmosphere became still when they started to talk to each other. Laughing and joking around with Pie’s mom. She light up their day with her smile and with a song.

If I don't say this now I will surely break
As I'm leaving the one I wanna take
Forget the urgency but hurry up and wait
My heart has started to separate

Oh oh oh, oh oh oh, be my baby
Oh oh oh, oh oh
Oh oh oh, oh oh oh, be my baby
I'll look after you

There now, steady love, so few come and don't go
Will you, won't you be the one I'll always know?
When I'm losing my control the city spins around
You're the only one who knows how to slow it down

 

She sings the ‘Look after You’ by The Fray. She wants to tell Pie’s mom that she will look after her and Pie. That she will do everything to make them safe. Her voice is so calm and Pie’s mom fell asleep.

What's mine is yours to leave or take
What's mine is yours to make your own

Pie is falling for her even more. The puzzle of her heart is slowly picking up the missing pieces. She don’t want to push it but instead feeling it. She wanted to be sure if she loves Kim. More time, she needs more time to confirm it.

Mr. Buraphan’s phone rang, “Did you like my gift, Mr. Buraphan?” the caller said. He turn his head and stare at Van. “Who is this?” he asked. “You’ll know me soon Mr. Buraphan. But first, my second gift is already in your desk.” The caller replied.

It was an envelope with a black ribbon on it. Van took it open, photos of dead bodies. When Mr. Buraphan look at it, he went off balance. “You! Who the hell are you!” he yelled. He slammed his fist on the table. “What do you want with my family!” he continued.

“I assumed you saw the pictures. What I want Mr. Buraphan?” the caller chuckled.

“I want your family dead.”