Welcome to the family

The Playlist

Fingers sneak across the pillow and push Kim’s hair away. She opens her eyes to look into Pie’s beautiful eyes. “Good morning.” She grin. “Good morning.” She smiles, inching closer to her. Kim glances at the hands of the analog clock on her nightstand and hop out of bed. “Where are you going?” she calls softly, her sleepy eyes gleaming. “I’m going to prepare our breakfast.”

“It’s too early to have breakfast. Don’t go yet. Come back to bed,” she says, rolling over onto her stomach and rising on her elbows. “Oh baby. I can’t. When I lie next to you like that, being all alone here. All I can think about is…naughty things.” She smiles at her. She knows what exactly she’s talking about, she’s even thinking about it all night. “Okay, but let me help you prepare breakfast.” She raises her arms and asking to carry out from the bed. “Silly.” She carry her out from the bed, hugging her and swaying her all around the room before going outside. They eat their pancakes together with their hands intertwined, Pie’s legs over Kim’s. Pie feeds her and vice versa. Sweetness overload. How they wished to wake up together, cuddling under the sheets, first person to greet good morning and first person to say I love you.

Zee stepped in their house. She saw her mother in the kitchen with their maids. They were all busy preparing food. Her mother always wants to celebrate her husband’s reborn. She believes her husband is living in another life. Celebrating his reborn will always bring them all together. When her mom saw her leaning against the wall, she run to greet her. “Finally you’re here.” her mom kissed her on the cheeks, “Why? You need a hand with all those dishes?” she answered. Beam steps in and greets Zee’s mother. “Beam! Oh my little girl.” She says and glances at her daughter smiling back at them.

“You need a hand Aunt In?” Beam asks as she put her bag down on an empty chair. “I’ll go to my room to change.” Zee says and directly grabs her bag with her. From stairs, the first room at the right side is hers, across to it is her parent’s room. The center room is used to be her father’s study room. After long years, Zee opens the door to see the room once again. Their house cleaners always cleaning it every day, her mom doesn’t want to leave it dirty and became a stock room. It was her husband’s favorite place to stay when he’s at home. Zee and Kim always play hide and seek here but after her father’s death, she didn’t come back. She looks around the room and starts to reminisce all her memories with her father sitting on the chair with his rounded glasses while studying all papers of the company. He always brings all the documents back home if the company is having problems or planning to expand their merchandises around Bangkok.

Years ago, Zee saw her dad and Uncle talking to each other while peeking from the open door. Her Uncle put down a brown envelope in the table and shaking his head couple of times. There’s a frustration on their faces. “I don’t know how it happened, Thap. I already checked the financial transactions of the company but still, I can’t find the half million income from last two months.” Her Uncle said. Her father pours the two glasses of wine, “I saw the given reports by our accountant, not only a half million but five million.” He says, and gives the other glass to him. Mr. Jittaleela took out all the documents in the envelope and let her father look at it. Her father looks up at him from over his reading glasses. He opens his mouth to say something, but her Uncle look at him seriously. At one look, they understand each other. The two were best of friends from high school to college, and there’s no question why their daughters were close too.

“I’ll talk to our accountants as soon as I finish reading these documents.” Her father says and sips his liquor. Zee enters the room and run towards her father, “Papa!” she calls. She climbs to him and sit on her father’s lap. “What is that Papa?” she asked. Financial Reports, she could see those italic bold letters on the papers with big amount of numbers under it. Her father told her that it was his assignment, her Uncle Burapahan is just helping him to answer it. What could you expect to a little girl? She can’t understand those financial reports. ”I can help Papa to answer his assignment, Uncle.” She answered. She’s a confident girl. They both laugh at her, “Well, you’re just a little girl Zee. Maybe you could help your Papa soon. That subject is pretty difficult to answer.” Her Uncle said. She looks at her father and he smiles at her. “Your Uncle is right. You should go back to your room now. It’s late. You have class tomorrow.” He said and kissed her forehead. Zee obeyed her father but before she could exit the room, she looks back at them and makes a promise in front of them to solve her father’s assignment if she grows up. She will be the same as her dad. Her father gave her a nod and then she went back to her room.

Few hours later, soft music Autumn Leaves by Ed Sheeran plays from the bedroom. Pie is putting lip-gloss when she notice Kim’s reflection in the mirror. She was standing with one shoulder supported against the wall, watching with hands on her pocket. “Am I beautiful?” she ask her, trying to focus to put make up while she’s watching her doing it. Kim was wearing long sky blue sleeves folded in ¾’s with pants that brought out her natural charming looks. Wet towels are hanged outside the veranda to keep it dry, while Pie’s small make up kit is scattered across the table and her clothes hangs behind the door.

Pie was wearing the blue dress that Kim chooses to her. It compliments her, it’s a knee long dress, and sleeveless that reveals her smooth, crimson skin. “You’re not just beautiful Pie. You are…perfect.” she answered. Pie smile and blush at the same time.

“Guys will go crazy when you go out from here.” Kim said. It actually makes Pie laugh. The thought that Kim will get jealous of other guys who will try to flirt with her. What Kim looked like if she gets jealous with someone? Pie stand up and step close to her. “I am yours, Kim.” She whispers hotly against her lips. Smiling, “And I am yours too.” She says and winks at her. She slips her arms around her waist and Pie place hers around Kim’s neck. “I always wanted to dance with you…like this.” Kim said. As she starts to move in circle, they were dancing with the rhythm of the song. Pie listens to every lines of the song while Kim draws her closer and she can smell his cologne-armani code. She breathe her in and intoxicated by her scent. “You smell…so good, and seductive”

“You like it?”

“Hmmmm…definitely yes.” She rests her head to her shoulders and find all the comfort and feel secure to her arms. “We have to go,” she murmured against her ears but instead of letting her go, she kisses her lips. She can feel Pie’s y smile against my mouth while she’s kissing her, “We have to.” Then manage to break free and turn around to get her small bag and throws it to her shoulder. They’re still smiling at each other when they get in the car. Kim hits the gas and takes off, but before they could reach the intersection, she pulls over. “Why did you stop? Is there something wrong?” Pie asked. “Well, since you’re going to meet my whole family. I want to introduce you personally as my girlfriend even though they know about us but for the formality sake. You’re part of my life Pie and I want you to be part of my family.” Pie look at her in surprise. “Kim, I-uh. It’s my pleasure to meet your family Kim.” She answers and cups her face.

Minutes later, they arrived in the house. “Don’t touch the door. Wait for me.” She said. She hurriedly opens the door and guides her out. When she lift her head up, the house is so big and simple. It’s a two storey house, made of wood and concrete, the beautiful landscape outside matches the whole area. Kim recognizes her dad’s car outside, “Let’s go.” Kim said.

The maid bows her head when they Kim and Pie enters the house. “They are in the living room, Kim.” She said. Kim nods at her and continue to walk across the living room. “She just called you Kim?” Pie asks. Kim hold her hand, “Yeah. All the maids here call us on our name except for dad and Aunt In. They wanted to call them madam and sir to give respect.” Kim replied. Kim’s eyes met hers, “Zee and I don’t want to be called ‘miss Zee or miss Kim’ since it’s awkward.” Pie laughs at her. When they reach the living room, her dad and Aunt In talking to each other. “Hello everyone!” Kim calls. She immediately kiss her dad and Aunt In. The two were smiling at her girlfriend, “Awww! The beautiful Pie!” Mr. Jittaleela said and suddenly kissed her cheeks.

“I’m glad to meet our Kim’s girlfriend. Welcome to the family, Pie.” Aunt In said. She hug her and gave a kiss to her cheeks. The butterflies actually like dancing inside her stomach, her hand pounds and she’s a little bit nervous-no, she’s totally nervous. Welcome to the family the very touching words keep running through her head. They take her away from Kim and lead her to the dining room where Zee and Beam prepares the food. Beam looks amazing. She’s wearing a white colored dress that shows her perfect curve body with a necklace which Zee gave to her. Zee looks pretty good herself in her simple ¾’s shirt. The bond of their family is incredible. Zee was close to Kim’s father and Kim also close to Zee’s mother. They look like a perfect happy family. “Nervous? I know how it feels like.” Beam whispered to Pie. When she turns to her Beam gave her a wink, “I’ve been there.” Beam taps her shoulders.  

Two flavorful and juicy roast chickens served at the middle of the table. A hot and sour chicken soup, white wine, rice, looks like everything you need is here. “Hey, little sis, aren’t those your favorite?” Zee asks, pointing her silver spoon to the roast chicken. “Uh. Yes.”

“Why don’t you take slice for her Kim? I marinated the chicken for hours and cook it well. I put our secret ingredient to it so I’m sure she’ll like it.” Aunt In said. Zee just called her little sister. At first, she felt nervous but when they start having conversation, it faded away. Beam was right, it’s going to be nervous when you’re eating with your girlfriend’s family. You don’t know what they are thinking about you. Do they like her? “So, let me tell something,” Mr. Jittaleela said. He put down his spoon and put his both elbow on the table and become serious and they all stop eating. “Everything okay, dad?” Kim asked. She heard her father sighed and look at her, his left hand extends to hold his daughter’s arms and gazes to her sister at the right. Aunt In knows what her brother about to say to them. Her Aunt pushes her chair and stand up, she went to the living to and went back with two black box, 12 inches long with 5 inches wide. She gave it to her daughter Zee and Kim. “Before you open that, “Aunt In said and took a seat. She gazes to her daughter, “Few months from now, both of you will be professionals and we’re so proud of you.” She starts to be emotional. Her brother hold her hands, “All the ups and downs of our family, we stayed together as one. We know how hard for both of you to conquer everything.” He continued. Zee and Kim looked at each other, their girlfriends held their hands to give them support.

“We’re not going to be here without you and mom. Kim and I, were grateful to have you in our lives.” Zee replied. She was controlling her emotions. Beam was there to comfort her, she run her hands at Zee’s back and glances at Kim. “Zee was right dad. No matter how many times we struggle, we able to get up because you were there to help us. We are one big family with extensions.” Kim said and glanced at Pie and Beam. She was referring to their girlfriends. Their parents chuckles and wipes their eyes. “And we have new family member here.” Beam said.

Before Pie could react, Zee tugs on the cork and it goes flying. She was startled by the pop. Laughter fills the room when she spills a little on the floor and flashes a grin. Mr. Jittaleela raises a glass high for a welcome toast for Pie. “To Pie, Welcome to the family of JIttaleela.” Then they click their glasses and tears of joy well up in Pie’s eyes. Several toasts are made, not only for welcoming Pie but also for the success of Heirs Magazine, and Zee’s father reborn. At this moment, everything is perfect. Looking around the room, all she sees is the beautiful family. Zee opens the box and saw the ticket for Korea. “You got to be kidding me.” Zee reacts.

Kim immediately opens her box and saw the ticket for Korea. The two always want to go to Korea during winter. Since their family want to expand in Korea, it’s their chance to visit the country. “Korea!” Kim screams as she jumps all over and hugs Zee. “That’s our first gift to both of you.” Mr. Jittaleela said. Kim hugs her father say whisper something to him. Zee hugs her mom and then her girlfriend.

Kim suddenly wraps her arms around Pie’s waist and holds her tight. “I love you,” she breathes in her ear. When she turn to look at her, to tell her how much she love her. The maid who welcomed them in the front door suddenly appeared to take a family photo. Mr. Jittaleela and Aunt In seat in the couch while their daughters and girlfriends were at the back. Zee places her left hand to her mother’s shoulder slightly facing her girlfriend at the right side with Pie. Kim’s right hand on her father’s shoulder and facing Pie on her left. They wrap their free arms to their girlfriend’s waist. Pie catches a glimpse of Kim, the girl who makes her fall in love.

“Kim Jittaleela, the girl I love the most. The person that I will fight for.” Pie told herself. “One…two…three. Smile!” the maid says.