The First Couple shirt

The Playlist

Chapter IV: The First Couple Shirt

“After all, you are one of my top students here in Rangsit University and this is the first offense. I’ll let you go this time and your band. However, if this kind of incident happens again, you and the rest of the band are suspended.” The admin concluded one hour of tedious speech later. They were all wearing sunglasses to cover their black eyes. The incident had spread out in the university just a day after it happened. Zee was holding Beam’s hands while walking heads up.

Kim’s phone vibrated on her pocket couple of times. “You go ahead. I’ll take this call.” She looked at the caller id. It was Yam. “Hello Yam?”

“I heard about the incident yesterday. Are you okay?”

“We’re fine. Still alive.” At Kim’s mention of the caller’s name Zee roller her eyes and growled wordlessly. “We have to talk. After your class. In the fields” She hanged up. Beam and Zee glanced at Kim when they saw Pie with her friends walking towards them.

“Hey Kim,” Beam called.

“Cutie is here.” Zee teased.

Kim was caught off guard. She saw Pie with Jane and Pei. They stopped when Pie’s eyes met hers. They stared for a minute when Beam and Zee distracted them with their crazy dancing. The students around laughed at them. They seemed to enjoy their craziness right now. Their cuteness seemed to erase all the tension around them. It’s like a normal day for them.

The bell dinged and students rushed to their respectively classrooms. They passed each other by with a smile on their faces. Kim’s smile isn’t that much though because of the bruise on the right side of her lips. Just one smile they light up everything.

***

 “I don’t know what you’re talking about Kim.” Yam said. She was holding her hand begging to believe her. Kim sighed and closed her eyes. “Please Kim believe me.” She insisted.

“I believe you…but I’m not happy with it. You can just ask me to go Yam.” She replied. She was beyond furious and she can feel it boiling underneath her skin. She hates pranks. The reason is that pranks can be true and sometimes the truth becomes a joke.

“I’m sorry. I promise it won’t happen again.”Yam said. Kim stared at her and ruffled her hair. She always do that to her since they met in their first year in University.

 

Pie saw them not far from where she was standing eating her hotdog with bun. Pie saw them clearly. They were like a couple dating in green fields. So, they are couple. She felt a twinge of something green and ugly when she thought about it. Pei budged her and handed her a soda. He scanned the field and noticed what Pie was looking at.

“They are not couple, Pie.” He said. Pei took a bite of his fries while looking at Pie.

“And so? I didn’t ask anything.” She snapped.

Pei chuckled and gave her a small mirror. “Look at yourself. Since Kim helped you with your ankle you got Kim’s side effects.” He said grinning. He was right. The day Kim smiled at her, before transforming into Ms. Handsome vocalist, it knocked her off her feet. That one smile. Everything changed.

“Stop saying that.” She groaned. Pei laughed at her more. He was sure that his friend here has a crush on Kimhan.

“That’s the truth, girl. I’m not against it, but be careful. Your mother will kill you.” He pointed. Yes. He’s right. There will be no problem with her friends but with her mom, surely will.

“Kim is just a friend, Pei.” She took a bite of her snack again and glanced at them. She could hear them laughing together. She felt annoyed with Yam’s laugh.

“Like I said, they’re not a couple.” Pei reminded her.

Turning to him she snapped, “Stop it Pei!” But then she realized Pei wasn’t even there anymore. She glanced around and found everyone in the area was staring at her. He may not have heard her but everyone else sure did. Then she looked at Kim’s direction and she was looking at her as well. Their eyes met and Kim smiled at her. Oh stop smiling like that Kim. I can’t think straight!

She spotted Pei’s retreating back yards away and ran off with him. Stay away green eyed monster. She isn’t even mine. Pie thought.

***

Pie stayed in her room the whole afternoon reading in solitude. Jane was out with her new love of life after the dramatic break up with her ex. She loves reading books. It was the only thing she could do now to relax and keep away from Yam’s existence. The ringing of her cell jolted her out of her concentration. She folded the right top edge of the page to mark it. “Hello?”

“You need to get out from your room.” Kim said.

“I’m tired.”

Kim chuckled. “I’m in the front of your room. I’ll wait here till you get out.” Pie’s stomach fluttered. She must’ve gone silent longer than she thought coz she heard Kim asking her.  “Hello? Are you there?”

Her stomach jumped. Stop doing that Pie. “Yeah, I’m here.”

 “Great. I’ll wait here.” Kim said and hanged up. Pie’s dresser opened and clothes started flying.

 

A few minutes later, Pie came out of her room. She was wearing a white shirt with a big smiley icon on it and jean shorts. Her dark brown hair tumbled in waves to the curve of her back. She walked up next to Kim leaning by the wall and fiddling with her phone. “So where are we going?” She asked.

“Beam is having this small party with friends and I’m a bit lonely.” Kim replied pocketing her phone.

Then she glanced up at her and suddenly her heart beat began to beat faster. Kim was looking at her. Like really looking at her. Kim blinked. She had long eyelashes and curled at the ends. Up close her beauty became more apparent. She moved closer to her. Oh God. What are you doing Kim? Oh please…she thought. Kim leaned in closer then wipes the corner of her lips. “You have…” she muttered. Kim’s breath fanned over her face but Pie didn’t move back. Her face was so close to her, their noses almost touching. If either of them would just lean in a little bit more…

Then Kim’s phone rang.

They continued staring at each other. Neither of them moving away. Kim’s phone incessantly ringing at the background. There was a sudden lull when the call dropped. But then it began ringing again, breaking the tension. Kim sighed and grabbed her phone. She stepped away from Pie to answer the call.

It may have just been her imagination but she thought she heard Kim muttering something about a missed chance under her breath.

 “We’re coming,” she heard Kim saying.

“I’m with Pie.” She continued and winked at her. Can someone get an ambulance? I’m having a heart attack. Pie thought to herself. Kim conversed with the person on the other line a little more and then hanged up.

“C’mon, let’s go.”

***

Beam rented a local restaurant for her party. It’s a small place but her parties are popular and it is very crowded. Apparently, people didn’t mind Beam’s adamant hate of smoking and her non-smoking policy to parties she organize. There were people everywhere. The music was pounding so loudly, Kim could feel it pulsating through her whole body. She could see some girls and boys drinking. It’s as though they didn’t get into trouble yesterday.

“Hey there!” Beam greeted, squinting against the bright strobe lights that had begun flashing with the next song.

Kim kissed her cheeks. “Beam, I assume you know her.” Kim said pointing Pie.

Beam nods. Zee jumped behind Kim. “Finally my brother invited her sunshine!” She yelled. The music is so loud and they can hardly understand each other.

Kim elbowed her discretely to silence her. She smiled wickedly when she heard Zee grunt. “Thanks brother.”

Beam offered a handshake to Pie. She was so kind and friendly. She invited everyone that is close to her and their friends. “Nice to meet you, Pie.” She heard Beam say to Pie.

“Nice meeting you too, Beam.” She replied and they shook hands.

“Kim, why don’t you give Pie something to eat,” Beam suggested. She turned to her girlfriend, Zee and winked.

“Good idea.” Kim nodded and led Pie to a table filled with foods.

“What do you want to eat?” Kim asked. She grabbed a plate and offered it to her.

“I can’t decide. Everything looks delicious.” She replied. Kim put some special sliced chocolate cake into her plate and grabbed a bottle of drink. She was serving her like her girlfriend. “Don’t you want to eat?” Pie asked.

“What?” She can’t hear her clearly.

“I said,” she yelled. Kim lowered her ears near to Pie’s lips. She felt rather than heard Pie take a breath. “Don’t you want to eat?” Pie continued, her voice coming out a bit hoarse. Kim turned to look at her and suddenly their lips are only few inches away.

“There’s no extra plate.” She replied, not looking away from Pie’s gaze. This almost situation again. The air was cackling with pent up frustration. Kim wondered how long she’d last before she finally snapped. Then Pie bit her lower lip and Kim’s gaze shifted at it as she felt her control slipping on the edge. She wanted to do something wicked about it. Problem was Pie probably isn’t ready for any of the thoughts running her head right not.

 “We can share one plate.” Pie took another sliced chocolate cake and put it in the plate, oblivious to Kim’s wondering thoughts.

 

The crowd was enjoying the music played by Beam’s DJ brother. Students were dancing to on the dance floor. They were hanging out at a table with large leather sofa. Beam and Zee were cuddling in the corner discussing something private. Opposite them were Mike and some brunette Pie doesn’t recognize, a girl who leaning over him a lot. She was sitting beside Kim listening to her talk to someone. Red empty plastic cups of beer were stacked on their table. Pie would have to admit that she was more than just tipsy tonight. But she was so comfortable with Kim next to her. Pie loves to see Kim pouting her lips, acted like a kid, mocking some of her friends or just smile. But most of all she liked it that Kim never forgot that she was there, no matter how many people had approached her. She always returns to Pie and spends time with her, asking her if she’s enjoying, if she needed a drink or anything else. When the guy Kim was talking to left, Kim turned to her. “You alright?”

“Fine and dandy,” Pie was smiling as she nodded. She took a swig at her beer, emptying its contents and stacked it along with the other cups.

Kim looked at the red cups. “Think you might be having a bit too much beer tonight?”

Pei blushed but answered a comeback, “Only as much as you did.”

Kim laughed at that. “We all need a little bit of fun.”

“I agree. In less than two months time, we are going into a survival examination,” Pie said nodding once more.

Changing the topic, Kim said, “You maintained your name in the Dean’s List. Impressive.”

“I need to. I’m a scholar. My grades should be higher than the cut off grade.” Pie replied.

Zee and Beam sneaked from behind and threw colored powder over them and then the main event of the party started. Colors exploded everywhere. Pink. Blue. Magenta. Green. Yellow. Every color Pei could imagine. The sound of laughter filled the air as students played around like kids. Beam’s color party is definitely a hit. Everybody was having fun. It’d be a great memory to pack before trudging back to reality and facing the world of professionals.

Today is so much fun. Pie hasn’t experienced it before, attending parties that are a bit wild but not too much. A mix colors tinted their shirts, their faces, hair and everywhere.

Even when the party started to wind down and groups of students started to leave, Kim and Pie were still laughing and playing with the colored powder. That was when Zee and Beam spotted them.

Beam grabbed Pie’s hand and firmly guided her to the comfort room. “Here, I have extra clothes here. Wear it.” Beam first went in to the stall to change. When she came out she was wearing a shirt with the word ‘Taken’ boldly printed on it.

Pei held her shirt then and blushed when she saw the shirt has a statement printed on it as well. “I’m hers” it says.

“Change your shirt, Pie.” Beam’s tone left no room for argument.

Her shirt was covered in colored dust and she’d rather not leave rainbows of dirt behind when she walked in to the dormitory. She went in and start changing her shirt while Beam waited for her outside.

“All done, Beam.” Pie said. Silence greeted her. When she came out from the stall, Beam was nowhere to be found. She folded her shirt into a size that can fit in to her bag before going outside.

“Where did she go?” she muttered. As soon as she closes the door, Kim was standing in front of her. She changed her clothes too. Kim smiled at her and turned around. “She’s mine.” It says at the back.

“You like it?” Kim asked.

Pie stared at her, eyes wide with clear surprise. Kim’s lips twitched before she pulled Pie flush against her. The alcohol was definitely not helping her thought process to have any idea of what’s happening.

From the corner of the hall, Beam and Zee jumped and yelled, “Say CHEESE!” The camera flashed as pictures of them in a couple shirt were taken. Then just as quick as Beam and Zee appeared they also left, leaving Kim and Pie alone once more.

Pie could feel Kim’s gaze at her. She was vividly aware how her ears and face are flushed with warmth, her heart beating fast and butterflies in her stomach going wild. Good lord! You can take me now! She thought. The flash of lightning and thunder grumbling after it had her quickly amending, “I was joking.”

“You were saying something?” Kim asked.

“Uhm. We have to go back now. It’s going to rain.” She looked up at Kim for a second before she remembered what they were wearing and focused her attention to her shoes and the tiles on the floor. She suddenly developed an interest in the imaginary images on the marble tiles.

 “Pie.” Kim started.

 “Yep?” she didn’t look up even as Kim ran a hand over her face. Stay down Pie. Stay down.

“I think my lips are bleeding.” Pie’s eyes widened. Whatever she was expecting Kim to say, that was definitely not it. She was about to lift her chin when Kim caught her off guard again. She kissed her cheeks. She could feel the moisture of Kim’s lips on her cheeks. Soft lips she longed in her dreams. She wanted to kiss Kim.

Kim pulled back just enough to look at Pie but left her hand her face. Their face just inches apart. Their gazes locked; one pair of eyes seeming to ask permission, the other pair waiting for the other to make a move.

Pie felt a shiver run up her spine as she looked at Kim’s dark eyes. Her emotions are running high and stirring out of control, leaving her an impression that she was falling. For Kim. Or maybe it’s just an innocent crush.  Pie more than admires Kim. That much she could admit to herself but not to her friends. But as she felt Kim’s breath brushing her face, she remembered Kim’s soft lips on her cheeks and knew she wanted more.

Kim leaned in, about to kiss her on the lips this time. Pie felt her heart beat hard a couple of times, and she had to draw a breath, because for a second, she was short on air. Then Kim blinked, realizing what she was about to do and pulled away. Her eyes skimmed the floor.

“We should go now.” She murmured.

***

We almost kissed. Pie thought, touching her un-kissed lips with a finger. She was sitting on the passenger seat of Kim’s car as they silently started back to the dormitory. It seemed neither of them had anything to say.

When they arrived, Pie noted that most of the students had already settled down for the night. There were no lights in the dormitory rooms except for one room on the third floor. Only the utility lights in the hallways and parking lot were kept on overnight.  Kim hurried to her side, locking the car as she closed the distance between them. When she reached her, she grabbed her hand. Kim’s moves are so unpredictable. It excited her, not knowing what will happen next.

“I’m sorry.” Kim blurted.

“For what?” she frowned, suddenly disappointed. Don’t be sorry Kim. Please.

 “For what I did.” Kim stated. As if that’s all the explanation she’d need. Someone came downstairs and Kim automatically let go of her hand. The girl didn’t notice them. She walked pass them while talking to her phone.

“Don’t mind it.” She heard herself say. A long silence fell between them before Pie spoke again. “I have to go now, Kim. Jane might be looking for me.” Kim nodded but didn’t say more other than a muttered goodnight. The day had been long but a happy one. More and more Pie treasured every moment she spent with Kim.

 

Settle down with me

Cover me up, cuddle me in

Lie down with me, hold me in your arms

And your heart’s against my chest

Lips pressed to my neck

I’ve fallen for your eyes

But they don’t know me yet

The feeling I forget, I’m in love now

Kiss me like you wanna be loved,

wanna be loved, wanna be loved.

This feels like I’m falling in love,

Falling in love, falling in love.

Settle down with me

And I’ll be your safety, you’ll be my lady

I was made to keep your body warm

But I’m cold as, the wind blows

So hold me in your arms

She was lying down in her bed listening to the music. The song was fitting her mood she decided as she reflected on Ed Sheeran’s Kiss Me. I almost kissed her. Her thoughts fleeted back to Pie. She has the softest skin she ever touched. “You have no idea how hard it is to keep my feeling for you, Pie.” She flipped her phone to look at their picture. “How hard it is to pretend that I don’t like you in front of people.” She continued.