Family first

The Playlist

Chapter III: Family first

Zee jumped out in bed, when Kim banged at her bedroom door. “Zee! Open up!” she shouted. “Get up!” Kim yelled again. Zee slowly crawled out of bed with eyes closed and headed towards the bathroom. She usually doesn’t open the door and let Kim look for a way to get in. A half hour later, she came out from the bathroom with her bathrobe while another towel was wrapped on her hair. “Looks like she didn’t find a way to get here.” She said. She was untying her bathrobe when suddenly Kim leapt from behind her.

 “Surprise brother!” Kim shrieked.

Zee’s bathrobe fell in the floor and revealed Zee’s whole body. “Ahh!!!” her loud voice echoed in the dorm. It was like a girl being harassed. Kim turned her head while Zee picked her bathrobe and covers her body. “You little brat!” Zee yelled angrily. She swatted Kim’s head with a magazine and kicked her in the . “Knock Kim! My god!” she yelled. When she had her fill of hitting Kim, they both laughed and settled down to Zee’s bed.

“I’m sorry bro.” Kim said, trying to school her face.

“Just please. Knock my door with gentle hands. And don’t sneak in my room like this.”

Kim got up and sat beside her. “I’m sorry okay?”

Zee got up as well and tapped her shoulder, “You’re forgiven. You’re my little brother.”

Kim stood up and reached for something in her pocket. “I came here to give this to you.” She handed her a small box.

“Are you proposing?” She kidded. Kim tapped Zee’s head and pinched her cheeks. “Happy Birthday brother!” Kim would never forget her birthday. She always has surprises to Zee. Give her valuable gifts or organize party for her or even prepare foods for her. For Zee, she was blessed to have Kim as her family. Loving daughter, brother and sister and friend.

“You’re y, bro.” Kim teased and ran off before Zee can kick her again.

“Spoiled brat.” She huffed. Hearing the door closed, she opened the cute black box. “What now, Kim?” she thought. It was a bracelet. A silver chain bracelet with small plain steel that had Brothers carved on it. Zee smiled.

***

Kim was in the girl’s locker room when her phone rang. An unregistered number. Curious, she picked it up. Immediately, the person on the other line said. “Live your life to the fullest.” The caller quickly hanged up. Frowning, Kim redialed the phone number but it would not connect. It was already out of the line. She kept calling to no avail. She couldn’t tell if it is a man or a woman. The caller used a voice changer so she can’t recognize him or her. She gave it a second to consider but then decided to just ignore it. Kim slid her feet into her worn athletic shoes, tied it and went outside for a jog. It was her daily routine for better health.

 

Yam called her while she’s on track. “Yep?” she said while maintaining her pace.

“Where are you?” Yam asked, sounding a bit frantic.

 “I’m in the field. Why?”

“Someone called me…”

Kim stopped from taking another step. She looked around the field but she can only see students. Worried, Kim immediately asked, “Did the caller says, live your life to the fullest?”

“Yes…Please come over Kim. I’m scared.” Her voice was clearly trembling now.

“I’ll be there. Just lock the door.” Kim headed back to the dorm to change clothes. Kim sent a message to Zee to be careful and call her right away if there’s a problem. Zee was already out with Beam when she got in the dorm. She quickly changed her clothes went to Yam’s place.

 

Ding dong…

Yam opened the door and she was suddenly wrapped in a hug. “Kim!”

Kim closed the door lock behind her and led Yam to the small but spacious living room. “Have you called your mom?”

 Yam shook her head and looked down.

“You better call her Yam.”  She said. She was scanning the room when Yam suddenly pulled her in a kiss. It wasn’t a kiss of a friend. Kim was stunned and was not able to react right away. Yam’s lips started to caress hers. She wrapped her arms around to Kim like she owned her. But Kim never kissed her back and pushed her away. “What are you thinking?” Kim snapped.

Yam didn’t say anything. “Did you do a prank call to me?” Kim asked, infuriated. She stared at her viciously. Kim was Yam’s first crush and first love. She loved her for almost five years. Kim knew it but it hadn’t really mattered up until now.

“No I didn’t…” she replied.

Kim showed her the unregistered number on her phone. “Do you know this number?”

“Why are you asking this? Can we just talk about us Kim? How long will you ignore my love?” she protested.

Kim stood up but Yam held on to her hands. “You know that I love you…the first time that I confess my love to you.” She began to cry. “You said no. Because we’re too young and you don’t know what you want in your life…what you are!” She hugged Kim so tight but Kim’s hands rested on her sides. In the beginning, Kim was not attracted to Yam at all. Her sweetness is natural that any girl could misinterpret it. She’s protective to anyone and Yam got the wrong idea about it.

“Yam…” Kim began.

“Why can’t you just give us a chance?”

 

She heard Kim’s heavy sighs. Yam buries her face to Kim’s chest. She’s very attached to her. She wants Kim more than she wants anyone. She feels Kim’s hands holding her waist.

“I do care about you… but the love you wanted…is not the love I can give back.” She whispered to her ears. The ringing of Kim’s cell phone breaks the tension. Kim grabbed it off from her pocket and said, “Kim’s speaking.”

 

She almost cried when she says those words to Yam. She didn’t want to hurt her feelings but she can’t lie to her either. Telling the truth always hurts. Telling a lie is worse.

“Call some back up. Some freaks want my girlfriend. Battle Records Studio.” Zee said and hanged up. Battle records studio is the place where they practice their songs. They usually spend time there to jam with the band or just play. Kim separated herself from Yam and turned to walk away.

 “Where are you going? Let’s talk about this.” she asked.

Kim didn’t turn to her. She just looked from her shoulder “Blood is thicker than water. We’ll take some other time.” Kim said and with that, she went off.

Kim called their band mates to help Zee and drove off to the studio. Luckily, their band mates were strolling around the streets when Kim called. They met up at the entrance of the studio, steel bars on their hand. “Those freaks…” Mike said, the heartthrob drummer of their band. They went inside and saw some thugs stayed outside the studio 3 door. They charged and beat the hell out of them. Kim opened the door while the others are beating the thugs behind her. Upon entering she saw three men kicking and punching Zee on the floor. A person with a bonnet was holding Beam in the corner. She grabbed a bottle of beer she found on her left side and throws it to Beam’s watcher.

“Kim!” Beam shouted.

“Get out now!”

“Zee! I can’t leave her here!”

Kim swung the steel bar into the back of a man with a tattooed dragon on his shoulder. He fell down and Kim charge towards the rest. She kicked a man on his head but got caught in a punch in the stomach by another. “Damn you! You have guts to fight us!” He tried punched her again but got caught by Beam hitting him with the steel bar on his head and fell down. It wasn’t hard enough to kill the man but it was enough to make him unconscious.

Zee was on the floor somewhat still conscious. There was a blood gushing out from her nose and lips. Bruises on her arms and some ripped parts of her clothes. “Get Beam out.” She said, trying to get on her feet.

Kim scanned the room and located Beam in the corner, trembling and afraid. She ran towards her and gave her the phone. “Call the police. Okay? Run now! I’ll take care of Zee!” she demanded.

Beam sneaked out from the room and saw the commotion outside. Mike and another member of the band kept punching, kicking, and wrestling the other thugs. These are gangsters and people don’t want to intervene in their business. They just watch and stand there. They just don’t want to get hurt that’s all. Maybe and hopefully, someone called the police by now.

Kim grabbed Zee’s arm and kicked the guy in the .

“Run!” she yelled.

When they about to exit, another man grabbed Kim backwards and swung his fist at Kim’s jaw. “You b*%@h!” he shouted. Kim could feel the weight of the pain in her jaw. She didn’t see it coming and didn’t get the chance to cover up. The man was beating her and Zee rushed back to smash him with the steel bar. When the man was down, she helped Kim to stand up.

“No one messes with my brother!” Zee said and kicked his face one last time.

They’re all down when they go out. The police responded to the area but too late. Kim, Zee, Mike, and the other member directly are sent to the hospital for their injuries. Their parents rushed in the hospital to check their kids.

“What in the hell happened to your face?” Kim’s dad asked.

Zee and Kim just laughed. It is the best thing to do right now before getting machine words from Aunt In. “And you’re happy with that? Good job girls!” he cheered them up. Yes. He was supportive dad and uncle for both of them. He never wanted to let his girls be beaten without fighting.

“And you encourage that?” Aunt In said, poking his head. She turned her attention back toward the girls and World War III began. Honestly, Aunt In was scarier than the gangsters they had just fought with. It was the first time that they involved to a fight with gangsters. They looked at In and smiled like guilty puppies who wants to be forgiven. 

“Don’t look at me like that. I’m mad!” she said.

An officer suddenly appeared. He was not that tall but very intelligent looking man. “We need your side of the story.” He said, holding a green folder with papers inside of it.

All of the involved persons in the incident gave their statements before leaving the hospital. “We will call you after the investigation. Stay out of trouble.” The officer reminded them. Beam’s parents picked her up in the hospital and drove her to their home. Mike went home with his guardian while the other member went home went his mom.

“Do you want to stay with us tonight?” Aunt In’s voice was calmer this time. Zee and Kim shook their heads and kissed Mr. Buraphan and Aunt In cheeks.

 “We’re fine. Just drop us to our dorm.” Kim said and Zee nodded.

This is would be the talk of the town tomorrow and surely, they will visit the administration office.

“Stay out of trouble okay?” Kim’s dad reminded them.

“Call us when you need anything.” Aunt added.

 “We love you!” They said. When the car disappeared from their sight, they slowly walked to their dorm. They walked like zombies. Their whole body in pain but they just laughed about it. Perhaps this was the first time they got involved with gangster but not the first time to kick some asses.

They got each other’s back. They promised that in front of their mom and dad. From that day, they’re inseparable. Zee looks out to Kim and Kim does the same. Zee doesn’t want to hurt Kim. She witnessed how Kim struggled to live after her little brother died. Zee stood as her big brother that protects her. She taught her everything she know and helped her in her studies and plays with her when she had time. This is how they lived for years.

Some say, Kim was influenced by Zee. She may have been influenced by Zee in some ways but never her decisions. People always get the wrong impression of Zee. However, their parents were supportive and very understanding. They accepted them without asking it from them.

“Be who you want to be, not what others want to see.”

The very touching words coming from a mother. It had always kept them strong, stand firmly with principles and enabled them to love and respect to others. Kim is always reminded of Zee’s words when she first came out.

“Never sacrifice who you are Kim. Just because someone has a problem with it.”

Upon reaching their room, Kim immediately put her iPod attached to her iPod stereo system. She played It’s Time by Imagine Dragons before preparing their dinner. Zee helped her while singing their favorite lines from the song.

It's time to begin, isn't it?
I get a little bit bigger, but then I'll admit
I'm just the same as I was
Now don't you understand
That I'm never changing who I am