The First Song

The Playlist

The university president walked up in the middle stage and taps the microphone a couple of times before he began to talk. “Good day everyone. I’m so happy to welcome you all to the Rangsit University...”

The man began on droning on about this and that, perfectly assuming that he got the crowd’s attention. Pie and her friends like to talk rather than listen to the man onstage.  It was the same speech last year. The only variation to it was the highlighted success of the different departments that gathered prestigious awards in education.

Pie was drinking her Chocolate drink while scanning the crowd. She stopped when she saw Kim and Zee talking to each other on her left. Zee must’ve been telling a funny story because Kim started to laugh. For the first time, she was fascinated by Kim’s laughter. She kept on smiling as Zee continued her tale.

“She never smiled like that before…this would be the tempting smile I’d ever seen from her.” She murmured.

 “She never smiled like that before… tempting and kinda cute,” She murmured.

She keeps staring her until Jane budges her and asked, “Did you say something?”

“Nothing. I just sighed,” she answered.

Jane went back to Pei to search for handsome boys in the crowd. Pie went back to staring at Kim and Zee. And then the extraordinary happed. As if some cosmic bodies finally aligned and set all things right, Kim turned to look at her direction and their eyes met. Suddenly her heart began to pump loudly and she felt her skin tingle. Kim smiled at her and blushing, she smiled back.

“Enjoy your years here in Rangsit University!” The university president concluded. He gave the microphone to the emcee as the crowd applauds. 

“Okay. We know what you are waiting.” The emcee said. He sounds like a DJ in radio station.  The General Acquaintance Party was the new idea the SGA (Student Government Association) came up with to entertain the students before going to academic battles.

All of a sudden, someone strums a guitar. The curtain on the stage was still shut. They could hear the guitar playing and it was the best guitar plucking played in years in Rangsit University.  

“Saturday morning jumped out of bed and put on my best suit…” the voice was y and very intriguing. Who owned that voice?

Got in my car and raced like a jet, all the way to you”

The thud of the drums vibrated as the drum’s beat joined the guitar’s groove. The bass guitar joined in and the crowd starts to feel it.

Knocked on your door with heart in my hand, to ask you a question

‘Cause I know that you’re an old fashioned man…

Yeah yeah.

Slowly, the curtains opened, revealing the band. The members were wearing formal black and white suite with tie giving a vintage feel to the band. Center stage as lead singer is Kim, the rhythm guitarist is Zee and two closest boys in them were on bass guitar and drums. The crowd joined the Kim at the chorus.   

‘Can I have your daughter for the rest of my life?

Say yes, say yes ‘Cause I need to know.

You say I’ll never get your blessing till the day I die, ‘Tough luck my friend but the answer is No.’

“Why you gotta be so rude?” Kim sang. Her image as a shy student was suddenly wiped away when the curtains finally revealed her and the rest of the band. The girls began to shout her name. They joined her in singing the Rude by Magic. The entire student body was on their feet. Kim rocked the stadium with Zee’s extraordinary talent in playing guitar.

“I didn’t know she could sing!” Pei yelled at Pie and Jane.

Pie nodded at him. “I think I like her!” She yelled back. Jane and Pei stopped dancing and looked at her. “What? Did I say something wrong?”

Pei and Jane leaned at her with their puzzled face. “Did you just say you like Kim?” Jane asked.

Pei pinched Pie’s hips, “Your mother will kill us!”

Pie was shocked with their reactions. At first, she didn’t get what they are saying but after Pei mentioned her mom. “Oh my God! Are you saying that I ‘like’ Kim?”

“You just said it.” Pei and Jane simultaneously answered.

Pie laughed. “Crazy! What I mean is. I like her because she’s good. Not the ‘like’ you have in mind!”

“You better be, Pie.” Jane said while Pei nodded.

She smiled at them and turned around to sing along with Kim. The band picked “Rude” by Magic to change the perception of the students that their school can only play one variety of music: Rock.

The students are enjoyed the event prepared by the Student Council. They can’t get over about the new vocalist of their school band. Kim surprised everyone in school with her talent in singing. She was known to be a shy type person. She loves to play video games than flirting and drinking outside. Compared to Zee, she’s simple but very tricky. Her appeal is like a lightning. Once it struck you, you can’t move.

***

 “You go ahead Zee. I need to go to the comfort room.” Kim said.

“Okay! The same spot Kim. We’re going to wait for you.” She replied. Kim nodded.

As she walked toward the comfort room she saw Pie stumbling over a small stone. She was able to hold on her hand so that Pei didn’t hit the ground face first but Pei lets out a small scream and she knew not everything is okay.

Kim knelt next to her, “Are you okay, Pie?”

***

Pie could feel the pain and not able to speak. She wanted to cry but felt cautious of Kim. Kim examined her for injuries and when she probed on her left ankle she lets out an involuntary gasp.

“Looks like you sprained your ankle.” Kim said with a frown.

 “I’m…I’m okay.” She tried to stand up but her ankle throbbed painfully that she went down again.

Kim sighed and said, “You’ll only get your injury worse if you walk.” Kim offered her back. “Here, let me carry you.”

“No you can’t…” she mumbled.

 “Why? Are you afraid that your mom will find out that I touch you?” Kim inquired, staring down at her.

Pie was surprised of what Kim just said to her. How did she know about her mother’s dislike of Toms? Kim had never met her mother, Pie thought. When she looked at Kim, Kim was staring at her expectantly. “It’s…not that.” Pie began to say.

“Then let me carry you.”

“No…I can walk.”

Kim shook her head and carried her before Pie could protest. She was stiff in the beginning but after a while she began to relax. Resting her head on Kim’s shoulder, Pie could smell a hint of vanilla. Somehow, it made her smile.

“You’re not that heavy.” Kim said, walking in the hallway.

 “What? Am I that…” she fumbled.

Kim chuckled and stopped in front of the clinic. “Here you go.”

“What happened?” the nurse asked.

“She got her ankle sprained. She stumbled over a rock and fell.” Kim said and helped Pie to sit on the wheelchair.

“Oh. Okay. Let us see your ankle inside.” The nurse said.

 “Kim!” Pie called.

Kim turned to her. Her brown dark eyes stand out even more. "Beautiful eyes..." she murmured and trying not to look too much into Kim's eyes and face down.

"My eyes are beautiful?" Kim frowned. 

Oh my god! She heard me! Pie said to herself. 

"I...I ah...thanks." Pie said. Kim smiled at her and nodded. "You're first song...is amazing," Pie said as the nurse pushed the wheelchair inside the clinic.

 

 

"My first song was amazing?" Kim says thoughtfully and smiled at herself as she walked down the hallway.