A Step Forward

Life Couldn't Get Better
Please log in to read the full chapter

Sungmin's POV ~


It took Sungmin two whole days to gain all the courage in his heart and go visit Hankyung in his apartment. Since his conversation with Eunhyuk, he'd been thinking about ending this sick relationship he was in, preparing himself for facing Hankyung. And now, as he was sitting in front of him, he understood it would be even harder than he had thought. Imagining their conversation, it had been much more simple than actually facing Hankyung and his eyes, that held the innocence that surprised even Sungmin. He couldn't believe that this guy was the one who was hurting Heechul all this time along with Sungmin. But Sungmin knew that he couldn't go on like this. That it was hurting not only Heechul, but also Hankyung and him. Because when the three of them tried to be happy at once, none of them really was. 

Besides, he promised Eunhyuk he'd at least try.

"Hankyung, I can't go on like this."

He watched the other's face as he frowned trying to understand what Sungmin meant. "Like this?"

Sungmin looked down at the glass in his hands. The orange juice was just what it should look like, but he found the sudden and irrational interest in it. Or maybe it were those two ice cubes that were getting smaller and smaller, clearly not aware of the fact that soon they were going to disappear. Sungmin envied them. He would do anything to not be aware of the situation he found himself in.

He poked one of the ice cubes with his finger. He watched it as it moved to the side, running away from him. But it didn't have anywhere to run. Just as Sungmin. He moved his finger away and examined it. Small drops of juice were quickly rolling down the length of his hand and to his wrist. He it off and looked at Hankyung one more time. 

"I just want to say..." Sungmin took a deep breath. "You are with Heechul and you won't break up with him. You go to me every time you feel he's neglecting you. You don't even care about me and don't try to deny it, because it's true." Sungmin smiled bitterly. "I love you. I really do. But I deserve more than that. I deserve someone who would love me. That's not you. But I'll find this person. They have to wait for me somewhere, even if I don't know where right now."

Sungmin saw it that his words had an incredible effect on Hankyung. He was looking at the other with wide eyes, for sure he hadn't expect Sungmin's visit to turn out like this. Especially when Sungmin had asked him over the phone if Heechul had been away.

"But Sungmin, you can't..."

Sungmin frowned and fought back the tears of frustration. "Of course I can! You won't tell me..."

"Sungmin?" The said boy froze. His heart suddenly felt as cold as the voice that had spoken his name. He turned around and faced Heechul. "What a nice surprise to see you here. You came long ago?"

Have you two had fun? Heechul didn't have to say it out loud to make Sungmin understand.

Sungmin swallowed heavily and looked Heechul straight in the eye. The other boy knew. Sungmin was aware of that all this time. But he preferred to pretend. It was so much easier. And as he could see right now, Heechul was quite good at pretending, too. But his eyes told Sungmin everything. 

Leave right now.

Sungmin really had enough of this whole situation. He could still remember when those eyes had looked at him with friendly concern. He remembered all those times when Heechul, glued to Hankyung, had about not having anyone. How he had told Sungmin that he'd have to find someone for him because Sungmin hadn't been able to do so himself. All said in this seemingly uninterested Heechul's tone. But Sungmin found someone. Though for sure he had been searching in a wrong place. 

"Don't worry, I'm leaving right now. And..." He smiled at Heechul and bowed lightly. "You won't see me here ever again. I'm really sorry for everything. I was terribly wrong and stupid."

Then he turned to Hankyung. "Please, don't visit me."

Sungmin sighed. He'd love it all to be simple like this. But he wasn't stupid. They were all going to see each other everyday. Even today, they were going to have a practice and he'll have to pretend everything's all right, everything's cool between th

Please log in to read the full chapter