Episode 5: Let’s shop and cook!

WE GOT A BABY!

 

Taekwoon walked into the house to find that the living room was empty. It was ten in the morning and he had just finished his morning workout with his bandmates at the gym. It didn’t take him long to have a shower and leave for his and Jimin’s house.

He scanned the place in front of him before making his way towards the kitchen, where he found his wife in front of the sink, washing some fruits.

Jimin heard a series of noise from behind and turned around. Though she was aware that Taekwoon was in the house from the beginning, she acted as if she didn’t know anything at all.

“Ah, you’re here.” she smiled.

“Yeah, morning.” Taekwoon replied. He looked past her and asked her what she was doing.

“Just cutting up some fruits.” Jimin replied and turned back to the sink. “I just thought that you might be hungry after exercising.

Taekwoon’s eyes widened as he heard her. “How did you know?” he asked, brows knitted together from confusion.

Jimin chuckled at his reaction. “A fairy told me~” she giggled, leaving her husband in a blur.

“Are you not going to tell me?” Taekwoon inquired, still wondering how on earth Jimin knew about his habit of eating after working out and how she was aware that he had been exercising that very morning.

“Nope!” she turned back to him and flashed him a grin. “Why do you want to know?”

Taekwoon shrugged. “I just wanted to make sure that the person who told you these things didn’t say something irrelevant.”

“Oppa, take it easy!” Jimin smiled at him but as soon as she realised what she had called him, she bit her lip and turned back to the fruits again.

On the other hand, Taekwoon was surprised for the second time of the day. Although it was sudden that she called him “oppa”, it didn’t sound so bad coming from her. In fact, he thought of it as evidence of them growing closer together, which was their goal from the start.

Clearing his throat, Taekwoon stepped around and stood beside Jimin, while she was still dealing with the fruits.

“When did you get here?” Taekwoon asked, ignoring the fact that she turned away from him due to embarrassment.

“Oh, I haven’t been here for long.” Jimin replied, also trying hard to ignore her red cheeks. “I got here about half an hour ago?”

Her husband nodded and the house became silent. Though at first it was awkward to have total quietness in the house, it was becoming more comfortable for them as they were getting used to each other’s presence.

“Ah.” Taekwoon pulled something out from his pocket. “I forgot about this.” he said, gaining attention from the girl next to him. “I got this on the way in.”

Jimin blinked at the envelope in Taekwoon’s hand. She hadn’t seen that when she walked in this morning.

“I must have missed it earlier.” she said, wiping her hands on the towel that was hanging next to the sink. She leaned closer to the male while the latter was opening the envelope.

“Dear newlyweds,” Taekwoon read the card out. “Today, you are to prepare and cook your first meal together. There are nothing in the fridge that can be used for cooking and therefore, the two of you must take a trip to the supermarket. Enjoy!”

Jimin shook her head in a disbelieving way. She was aware that the fridge was empty expect for a handful of fruits and she scolded herself for not catching onto that.

“I should have saw this coming.” she said. “The fridge had nothing in there! And to think that we’re to spend the whole day in here!”

“We should go now.” Taekwoon said. He stood behind Jimin and gently places his hands on her shoulders, steering her away from the sink and towards the living room.

“Oppa! The fruits!” she yelped and speed-walked back into the kitchen. Taekwoon rolled his eyes but followed her nonetheless.

“We’ll just come back for it later.” he said but it seemed like his wife was not listening to him at all.

“I’ve spent so much time in preparing this, I’m not going to leave it behind.” Jimin pouted – her stubborn side was starting to come out, as JYJ had predicted.

She hurriedly placed all the diced piece of fresh fruit into a square Tupperware and closed the lid tightly. She proceeded to get a couple of small forks from the drawer and put everything inside a cool bag, zipping it up before grinning at Taekwoon, who just stood there, watching her busy around the small kitchen.

“Okay! I’m done!” she announced. “We can go now.”

Taekwoon nodded and led the way out. After putting their shoes on, they went to their car. As usual, Jimin looked very excited to board the vehicle. As soon as she got into the car, she buckled herself in and plugged her iPod into the docking system.

On the other hand, her husband was very laid back. He walked casually around the car and got in. He adjusted the rear view mirror while Jimin was messing with the stereo system. He buckled himself in before turning to his right.

“Are you ready?” he asked and his wife gave him an animated nod. He pulled out of the private driveway and soon, they were on the main road. The journey to the supermarket wasn’t long but spending time inside the car with his wife made everything more interesting.

With the soft background music that Jimin was playing on her iPod, she started to sing along as well, with Taekwoon joining her occasionally when a song he liked came on.

“Oppa, can you cook?” Jimin asked, fully adapted to calling her partner “oppa” now.

“I can.” Taekwoon answered, also used to his wife’s new way of addressing him. “Otherwise out dorm would be burnt down.”

Jimin laughed at the second part of his answer. She loved it when he subtly added jokes into their conversations and the he didn’t laugh afterwards was always a fascination to her.

Moments later, their car was parked in the underground car park underneath the supermarket. They got out of the car and straightened their clothes. Taekwoon turned to Jimin.

“Why did you even bring the fruits?” he asked.

Jimin flushed. She had planned to eat them on the way here but they were so into their mini karaoke session and conversation to even remember the fruits. She quickly rambled an answer. “We’ll have them on the way back!” she nervously laughed.

Although Taekwoon wanted to roll his eyes really badly, he only shook his head with a small smile on his lips to show that he wasn’t actually angry with his wife.

“Come on.” he said quietly, beckoning Jimin to follow him. The latter obediently followed the former’s instructions and caught up with him after a very short jog. They entered the store side by side.

“I’ll-“ And before Jimin could finish what she was saying, Taekwoon had already took off in the direction of the trolleys/carts. Jimin smiled at him as he made his way back to her side. “Thanks.” she said to him.

“That’s what I’m supposed to do.” He replied naturally. Jimin was right, Taekwoon was the type of person to do things for others without words. He would unconditionally help you if he knew you had the need to be helped.

They strolled around the store for some time but their trolley remained empty – they had no idea what to buy. They didn’t even know what they were making later!

“Oppa, what are we making?” Jimin finally asked, not being able to shop for anything without having a goal.

“What do you want to eat?” Taekwoon asked but instead of receiving a verbal answer, he only got a shrug. He sighed. “Okay, what have you not eaten in a while?” he changed the question, hoping that it would be easier for his wife to answer.

Jimin thought about the question for a while before a smile was plastered on her face. “I got it.” she grinned. “BBQ!”

“BBQ it is then.” Taekwoon nodded with a small smile on his face, both because they finally came down with a decision and also because of Jimin’s personality. Suddenly, what N had said to him before seemed right – he did need someone like Jimin to lighten his life up.

“So are we getting the meat now?” Jimin asked excitedly, her grin was evidently wider than before.

Taekwoon nodded at her question. His eyes were already scanning the massive signs hanging from the ceiling for the meat section. When he saw that it was at a counter on the side of the store, he pushed the trolley in that direction and Jimin automatically followed him.

They stopped in front of the counter and looked at the meat inside the glass compartment. A middle-aged woman was standing behind the counter and smiled at them.

“Hello, what can I do or you?” she asked politely.

Taekwoon and Jimin quickly returned the greeting before looking at the meat again.

“We’re planning to have BBQ today.” Jimin told the worker. “Which type of meat is the best?”

The lady smiled nicely at them. “I see, a couple dinner, right?”

Jimin lowered her head in embarrassment while Taekwoon just nodded at the question. The woman then looked down at the selection of meat.

“Hmm, I would recommend bulgogi (marinated beef) and samgyeopsal (pork belly) for BBQ.” the woman said. “I think these will be less oily when you cook them. It’s perfect for you youngsters who don’t want their skin to get oily.”

“Ah, is that so?” Jimin nodded as she continued to look at the meat. She spotted the two types that the lady was just talking about and looked at them carefully. But before she could speak again, Taekwoon opened his mouth.

“Can we have two helpings of each, please.” he said politely.

“Of course you can!” the woman beamed. Without another word, the worker got into position and weighed out exactly two portions of each type of meat.

“Oppa, two of each makes four in total.” Jimin whispered. “Don’t you think that’s a little too much?”

“We can make something else with them.” Taekwoon replied, looking confident, even though Jimin gave him a sceptical look. “Just trust me.”

Jimin sighed. Just like herself, her husband can be equally as stubborn as her. “Fine, if you’re sure then.” she said, defeated.

When the woman behind the counter was finished weighing up the meat, she handed the bags to Taekwoon, who then proceeded to place them in the trolley you have. Jimin looked up at her and gave her a grateful smile.

“Thank you very much for helping us.” she said, bowing her head down a little. Taekwoon didn’t speak but his actions matched his wife’s.

“You’re very welcome.” the lady replied. “It’s a pleasure to have helped such a lovely couple. You know, young couples like you don’t often cook for themselves so it’s rare for someone like you to be shopping for food.” she said. “Plus, the two of you are such a cute and sweet couple, I wish my husband was like this when we were younger.”

Jimin was about to protest when Taekwoon said a quick thank you to the woman. Jimin’s eyes widened as she watched Taekwoon. The latter slowly took hold of her shoulders as he steered her and the trolley away from the meat counter.

 

 

“Why did you look so surprised when Leo-ssi thanked the lady?” the PD asked as the camera recorded the girl sitting in front of him.

“I don’t really know…” Jimin started. “I mean, I never really expected him to thank her... to be honest, this marriage hasn’t even been long so I was kind of expecting him to stay quiet, considering what his personality is like as well.”

The PD chuckled. “Were you happy when he accepted the compliment though?”

Jimin scratched the back of her neck and a bashful smile was displayed on her face. “Yeah… the way he said it made me feel important…”

 

 

Thirty minutes have passed since Taekwoon and Jimin made a stop at the meat counter. During this time, they were able to go around the supermarket and grab whatever they needed for their meal later. Vegetables and snacks were piling up in their trolley, not to mention different types of drinks, yoghurts and various other things.

Just as they were going to the cashier to check out, Jimin spotted the home section and had begged Taekwoon with her eyes if they could take a quick trip there before going home. Seeing his wife’s puppy eyes, it was impossible for Taekwoon to refuse her request. Plus, it wasn’t like she was going to spend forever in there; they didn’t even have much to buy for the house in the first place!

In that section of the store, there were all different kinds of things. Decorations, linen, tableware and much more were placed around the area neatly, ready for customers to purchase them. Since the house was equipped with enough necessities, Jimin flew past the others and stopped right where the plush toys were located.

As her eyes were roaming around, Jimin found something that she must get for the house. She lightly jogged over to the object and looked at it before picking it up in her hands.

 

The fluff felt like cotton candy in her hands and she couldn’t stop herself from the softness of the ears of the two plush toys. The pair of cats was smiling at her and she felt herself smiling back at them, very much like an idiot. She loved that the cats were in different sizes – one bigger one and one smaller one – a perfect combination.

Just then, Jimin felt a presence behind her. She didn’t need to turn around to see who it was.

“Why cats?” Taekwoon asked. His voice was quiet and soft.

“Cats are cute.” Jimin replied simply while still looking at the toys.

“But there are pandas over there.” he tilted his head though you couldn’t see him. “Why cats?”

Jimin turned around and held the two toys up in front of her so that her husband could see them better. “See why I love these?” Taekwoon shook his head, still not understanding why she preferred cats over pandas. “I mean, they already look like a part of our house! Just look at them!”

Taekwoon raised his brows and looked at the younger girl. Though he still wasn’t quite sure why she didn’t choose the pandas, he was sure that any second now, Jimin would beg him one way or the other to buy these.

“Please can we get them?” Jimin asked.

Bingo. Taekwoon said in his head. A small smile was plastered on his face. At the same time, a large grin was displayed on his wife’s face. Jimin had taken his smile as permission to buy the plush toys. Though Taekwoon didn’t technically say they could get them, it was already too late for him to say anything, knowing how stubborn Jimin could be.

 

 

“Why is it that you insisted on the cats?” the PD asked – he was just as curious as he thought the audience was.

Jimin laughed, the pair of cats was in her lap as she was being interviewed.

“There’s a meaning to these cats.” she said, not being able to hold her smile. “You see, Leo oppa’s name links to Leon, which then links to lions and since lions are cats, cats suit us more than pandas!” she laughed to herself. “Plus, Leo oppa reminds me of cats sometimes.”

The PD’s furrowed his brows in confusion so Jimin continued to explain.

“You know cats look really cold and chic on the outside but once they know you enough they’re all soft and gentle? Well, Leo oppa is exactly like that!”

 

 

“Aigoo, she’s talking like she really knows him!” Nayoung exclaims. “They haven’t even been together for long!”

“It’s quite amazing how she can analyse him like that.” Misun commented.

“Give me a pretty lady and I’ll analyse her in no time!” Jongmin grinned, causing the studio to erupt in laughter, yet again.

 

 

Once the couple’s car stopped in their parking space, Jimin jumped off the car and ran into the house, leaving Taekwoon inside the car in a blur. She immediately went into the living room and placed the pair of cats on the sofa before going back outside to assist her husband.

While they were taking their groceries inside, Taekwoon noticed how she had a smile on her all the way back home.

“Do you really like those cats that much?” he asked her. “You’ve been holding onto them the whole time in the car. You’ve even forgotten about the fruits.”

Jimin’s eyes widened. She ran back out to the car and searched for her box of sliced fruits that she had prepared earlier.

“They’re here!” Taekwoon called out from the door, dangling the cool bag on his hand.

Jimin gingerly made her way back into the house, not daring to look at her husband in the eyes – she was way too embarrassed to even look at him. She took the cool bag from the male and made her way quietly into the kitchen, setting the fruits on the counter before going back for more groceries.

Taekwoon watched Jimin as she busied herself and sighed. He shook his head and right at that moment, he caught a glimpse of two new plush toys sitting in the centre of their sofa. He took two steps closer to the soft toys and chuckled. He honestly liked this slightly childish side of his wife – it reminded him to be more easy going in life, rather than being serious and upright all the time.

He saw that Jimin was almost done placing the groceries in the right places inside the kitchen as he was walking in. She had the used plastic bags inside a cardboard box and the extra ones they accidently took were stored in the cupboard beneath the sink for future use. One thing for sure, Jimin was as organised as hell, even though she did forget about her tub of fruits, but everything else in the house was placed in their respective places and there was nothing that couldn’t be found in there.

“Are you hungry?” Taekwoon asked as soon as he stepped next to Jimin, who was busy putting things in the fridge. “Do you want to start cooking now?”

Jimin thought for a while before answering. Though she wasn’t that hungry yet, the preparation and the actually cooking would consume some time and by the time they finished everything, she would surely be hungry.

“Sure!” she answered. Then suddenly, she turned to Taekwoon. “Now I have to take everything out again!” she whined.

Taekwoon let out one of his occasional chuckles as he reached his hand out to ruffle her hair, messing it up a little for her to complain, even though she was fully aware that he didn’t mean anything bad at all.

The cooking session started as soon as everything was out and ready on the counter again. The couple had divided the tasks up and they were getting on with it quietly. Taekwoon was in charge of grilling the meat while Jimin was given the job of washing and cooking the vegetables, as well as preparing the side dishes.

Though they were pretty much silent expect for their tools clinking and clanking, it didn’t look like they were awkward at all. Instead, they were working without any verbal communication and yet, they were able to help each other out by passing certain things to each other or helping them cook and whatnot.

 

 

“They really do look like such a sweet couple from behind.” Misun said as the camera was filming them from the living room.

“It’d be nice to have a wife like that.” Danny said, clearly envious of Taekwoon.

“But you can't deny that a husband who can cook is the best!” Nayoung grinned. “Men who cook well are hard to get!”

“I know~ too bad my husband can't even enter the kitchen.” Misun replied.

“Did you ban him from the kitchen?” Jongmin asked curiously.

“I’d rather ban him from the kitchen and do the cooking myself than to line in a shelter because of a burning house!” 

 

 

The silence was broken when Jimin accidently flicked some water onto Taekwoon’s face while she was washing the vegetables. Seeing multiple water droplets on her husband’s face, Jimin couldn’t stop herself from giggling, which soon transformed into laughter.

Taekwoon blinked at her blankly. Jimin gulped. She bit her lips to stop herself from laughing again because she genuinely thought that the older male was angry at her for doing something so childish.

Seconds ticked by and Jimin was praising herself mentally for being able to stay still for that long. However, seeing another drop of water slowly making its way down Taekwoon’s face made her waver. Her lips were quivering as she felt another set of laughter growing inside her. She had to empty her hands in order to cover to prevent the disaster from happening.

Taekwoon’s eyes soften at his wife’s actions. She was just so childish sometimes that he didn’t even know what to do with her. He shook his head and went back to concentrating on the cooking meat again. However, not long after, he felt more water trickling down the side of his face. He turned around and just about caught Jimin purposely flicking water at him.

He knew he had to do something this time and he just had the perfect idea of what to do. He saw the basket of vegetables that were washed by Jimin next to him and he quickly extended his hand to grab one of them, which happened to be a piece of broccoli. Just as Jimin was wondering what on earth he was going to do with that piece of green food, he chucked it in her face, causing her to gasp with hanging wide open. She had no idea that he would retaliate like that, though she was the one to blame for starting it in the first place.

Jimin smacked her husband’s arm before going back to her vegetables and from her side she heard a little laugh from Taekwoon, who was obviously satisfied with his little comeback at her for being childish and immature.

And yes, the two of them have definitely gotten closer than before.

 

 


Hey~ sorry for the wait but here I am with an update~ ^^

However, since school has started again OTL updates may become irregular, though I will try my best to write as much as possible!!

Please do tell me what you think about this fic in the comments and please do subscribe if you haven’t already done so~

Love you all ~ ^0^