Episode 13: Wife versus daughter

WE GOT A BABY!

 

To celebrate Choeun joining the family, the couple decided to take her to the large park just ten minutes from their house. Since the weather was good and the sky was clear, it was the best opportunity for some outdoor activities.

As soon as the family of three arrived at the park, they realised that there was a festival going on. There were various different stalls set up – food, games, shops, and a lot of other ones that were hard to categorise because they were just too diverse to do so.

The young girl who was holding onto her father’s hand was obviously interested in the game stall. No, it was more like she was interested in the plush toys that were at the back of the game stalls. Because of those, she started to quicken her steps and drag the older man along with her. Though she wasn’t talking to him, because of her shyness (as told by her biological mother), Taekwoon understood her intention fully – she wanted him to play those games and win those toys for her.

As her husband was being dragged away by her daughter, Jimin had no choice but to follow behind them. As much as she wanted to be beside them, she couldn’t do that, mainly because Choeun did not trust her as much as she trusted Taekwoon. If Jimin was to walked next to them, Choeun would feel uncomfortable and for the sake of the small child, Jimin continued to walk behind them.

The father and daughter stopped in front of a typical shooting stall. Choeun had her eyes on the hippo plush behind the counter and she used her puppy eyes on her father, knowing full well that he was weak against them.

Taekwoon sighed. Even though they haven’t been together for long, he had a feeling that this child would be very much spoiled by him. He paid the stall owner the appropriate amount of money and a BB gun was handed to him. Because of the hazards of the gun, Jimin pulled Choeun back slightly and due to Choeun’s eyes being fixed on Taekwoon, Jimin got away without making Choeun uneasy because of her presence.

Bang! Bang! Bang!

Taekwoon easily shot down three of the targets. Though he didn’t get a perfect score, he scored enough points to win something. He handed the BB gun back to the stall owner and bent down to Choeun’s level.

“Which toy do you want?” he asked the young child softly.

Instead of answering verbally, as predicted, Choeun pointed at the hippo plush. Taekwoon followed her finger and line of vision and saw the hippo toy. He stood back up and told the owner which prize he wanted and the owner gladly passed the soft toy onto the winner of the game.

Once the hippo was in Taekwoon’s hand, Choeun jumped up for the man’s attention. She wanted to toy quickly and she knew her onscreen father would fulfil her wish as Taekwoon quickly handed her the plush without further ado. With one hand holding onto the hippo toy and the other onto Taekwoon’s hand, Choeun walked towards another store, leaving Jimin by herself walking behind them.

Though Jimin had told herself many times that Choeun would be a little distant because of the lack of trust she had in her, Jimin couldn’t help but feel a little disheartened because her husband was only paying attention to their daughter. The whole time they were there, Jimin didn’t join in on any of their activities but instead, she was just merely their follower, holding onto the things that they weren’t able to as they were playing games and laughing at things. The only time the father and daughter would turn to Jimin was when Choeun was thirsty of hungry. The more time they had spent in the festival, the more Jimin’s heart sank.

 

 

The family of three sat down inside a restaurant after a day of playing around in the festival. As predicted by Jimin, Taekwoon and Choeun sat side by side, while she was by herself on the other side of the table.

Suddenly, Choeun wanted to go to the toilet and therefore nudged Taekwoon, who was next to her. But because of the gender differences, Jimin was the only option she had. And as much as she didn’t want to go with her onscreen mother, her bladder did not allow her to be picky at times like this. Choeun reluctantly went with Jimin to the ladies room.

Sometime later, Choeun came towards the table, raising her arms so Taekwoon could help her to her seat. Following closely behind her, Jimin came and sat down on her own chair. Taekwoon raised his head and frowned.

“What happened?” he asked.

Jimin was wet all over. The ends of her hair were wet and on her clothes, there were evident wet patches.

Jimin shook her head. “I’m fine.” she replied, though Taekwoon was well aware that something had happened in there because Jimin was not the type to be this careless to get herself wet with water.

 

 

“I’m actually really disappointed.” Jimin said honestly to the PD.

The older male frowned. It was unusually for the jolly Jimin to be this dejected. “Is it because you felt left out?”

“Yes.” Jimin nodded sadly. “I mean, I understand that Choeun might not really like me but… for Taekwoon oppa to neglect me as well…” Her voice showed clear disappointment in what had happened during the day.

“Are you mad?” the PD questioned. “About what happened in the bathroom?”

The interviewee shook her head. “No, I mean, if there is a person I don’t really like and I was a four-year-old, I would probably do the same as Choeun.” she chuckled lightly.

 

 

“Did you forget about Jimin-ssi because you were too focused on Choeun?”

“No.” Taekwoon said. “I didn’t forget about her.”

“Then how come you didn’t interact with her at all?” the PD followed up.

“I couldn’t.” Taekwoon was speaking quietly. “I knew she was upset but Choeun doesn’t seem to like her much so I thought about not making Choeun upset because she is still adapting to us.”

“So you chose Choeun over Jimin-ssi?”

“No…”

“What are you going to do about this situation?”

“I should have done something back then…” Taekwoon bit his lips. “I’m not sure…”

 

 

Misun sighed at the current situation. “It looks like Jimin-ssi will suffer quite a bit with Choeun like that.” She pitied the young female. As a mother herself, Misun understood what parents had to do in order to make their children happy, even if it meant hurting the other parent.

“It’s such a shame.” Nayoung said. “And to think that they looked like a really happy family as well.”

“What happened in the toilets?” Jongmin asked curiously since there was no footage from inside the ladies room.

“I’m guessing that Choeun just splashed water all over Jimin-ssi and when Leo-ssi asked her what was wrong, she didn’t want to tell him because Choeun was there.” Nayoung explained. “Plus, she’s not the type to tell on children like that.”

“Oh dear,” Misun sighed again. “Let’s just hope that Leo-ssi can handle this. He’s got to solve this problem or the family will break apart…”

 

 

After sending Choeun to sleep in her room, Taekwoon came out to the dining room, where Jimin was sitting with a cup of coffee in her hands. As Taekwoon sat down in front of her, she slid the other cup of coffee across to him.

“What really happened back in the restaurant?” Taekwoon asked. He wanted to make things better for all of them and seeing how dejected and upset Jimin looked, it hurt him to think that he was able to do anything for her.

Jimin sighed. There was no way out of this. She had to tell him one way or the other, or he wouldn’t let go of the topic.

“Well, when it was time for Choeun to wash her hands, I had to lift her up so she can reach the sink.” Jimin said. “So, to make things easier for her, I put her on the counter and helped her with the water but I didn’t think that she would start playing around. Even though I told her to just wash her hands and not play with the water, it seems like splashing me was more fun for her.”

Taekwoon held the cup in his hands and closed his eyes. After letting out a sigh, he opened his eyes and looked at Jimin.

“I’m sorry.” he said. He felt responsible for not paying attention to his wife as well as his daughter. He felt like he had failed at doing his job.

Jimin shook her head. “It’s not your fault, really.” she said. “Plus, there wasn’t anything you can do to stop that from happening. I only got water on me – it’s not a big deal.”

Taekwoon looked at his wife. “Are you mad?”

“I’m not mad.” Jimin replied.

“You are.” Taekwoon said. “I can tell.”

“I’m not mad. I’m just…” Jimin paused. “A little disappointed.”

Before Taekwoon could open his mouth, Jimin stood up. She took her empty cup and went into the kitchen. She headed straight to the sink and turned the faucet on. She let the water run over the cup in her hands and let the last couple of coffee droplets wash away.

Taekwoon followed her instantly and once he was close enough, he wrapped his arms around her, engulfing her in a back hug. The surprised girl gasped and the cup in her hand nearly fell into the sink due to the sudden jolt from Jimin’s body.

“I’m sorry.” Taekwoon whispered into her ear. “I don’t want to explain because I don’t have anything to explain for myself. I know I should have done better and I know I should have paid more attention to you rather going around with Choeun all the time.”

Jimin turned the tap off. She dried her hands on a nearby towel and took Taekwoon’s arms off her. She turned her body and looked at her husband.

“You don’t have to be that sorry about it.” she said. “I should have seen it coming. I thought by taking her there will make us a little closer but it seems like she really doesn’t like me…”

Taekwoon smiled lightly. He knew she wasn’t upset anymore, she didn’t act aggressively towards him and that was a good sign.

“It’ll take some time.” he said. “It’ll be fine in the end.”

Jimin’s lips curved upwards. “Well, on the bright side, at least she doesn’t hate the both of us!”

Taekwoon rolled his eyes and chuckled. “How can you think like this when you’re supposed to be upset?”

Jimin laughed. “Well, always look on the bright side. Isn’t that what they all say?”

Taekwoon shook his head helplessly and knocked on Jimin’s head, indicating that there was nothing for him to say against that.

 

 


Hello my lovelies~ Here’s another update!

Since I’m sick and I’m at home, I decided to write something to distract myself from my coughs and whatnot! XD

So how was this? Choeun’s being very difficult, isn’t she? But please don’t hate on her!!

Oh god, if only Taekwoon can back hug me like that…