Doubts

Runaway Groom

Jessica felt her fingers trembling as she looked at the cellphone in her hand.  I'll be glad to have dinner with you tonight.  Pick me up at 6?  She was about to text those words to Onew.  She closed her eyes to compress the tears that wanted to fall.  She needed to do this.  She just needed to move on.  Jessica swallowed her pride and pressed the send button on her phone.  She finally dropped her phone in her bag and tried to clear her thoughts.

"Yah, what's wrong?" Yoona asked.

Yoona was in Jessica's condo while eating a bowl of diced mangoes.  Yoona put another spoonful of mangoes in as she looked at her sister with a skeptical look.  Yoona's cravings had taken over ever since she found out that she was pregnant.  She was only two months pregnant, but she was always eating.  It didn't make a difference because it looked as if she didn't gain a single pound.

"It's nothing," Jessica assured her, "I'm just stressed about work.  Sandara's wedding is coming up soon."

"You're not going to do anything?" Yoona questioned.

Jessica raised an eyebrow, "What are you talking about?"

Yoona had to be completely honest with her.  It surprised Yoona that Jessica didn't know what she was talking about.  Yoona gently set down the bowl of mangoes on the coffee table and raised her feet up on the couch.

"This is the part where you confess your love for him.  This is the part where you fight for him.  I know that Dara is my friend, but they aren't compatible.  They're two complete different people.  Tiffany told me that he confessed to you that he loves you," Yoona told her.

"I'm going to kill Fany!" Jessica cursed.

"It doesn't matter!" Yoona shook her head, "All that matters is that you love him, too!  I know you do, so don't try to deny it."

Jessica lowered her head, "Just stop it, Yoong.  It's too complicated.  I don't want to change my life."

"You're content with how you're living your life right now?  Do you seriously want to be single forever?  Do you really want your whole life to revolve around your career?  Do you want to spend your entire life making the fairytale ending for several women, but not having yours?" Yoona asked with her arms crossed.

Jessica fiddled with her fingers as she nervously bit her lip.  She honestly didn't know what to do.  She just knew that she couldn't be with Jiyong.  It was too complicated with him.  She then made her hand into a fist and stood up.

"Unnie, where are you going?" Yoona asked as she observed that she was making her way towards her bedroom.

Jessica turned around as she reached the door to her bedroom and gave a faint smile.

"I'm going to go on a date.  I'm going out with Onew tonight," Jessica informed her.

Yoona's eyes grew big as she spit out the mangoes that were in .  She was going on a date for the first time in four years! Yoona didn't know whether or not to feel excited.  Jessica was going to go out with one of Yoona's best friends!  Yoona felt that it was bittersweet.  On the negative side, Jessica was trying to conceal her feelings for Jiyong by going out with another guy, but on the bright side, she was finally making an attempt to move on with her life.

"Unnie, don't do this if it's only going to hurt you more," Yoona murmured.

"Don't worry, Yoona," Jessica assured her, "I'm not going to get hurt."


Jessica stared at herself in the mirror as she forced a smile on.  Yoona had helped her pick out an outfit for the date, but then Yoona had to leave because she wanted to get home before Seunghyun got back from work.  She was very excited to show Seunghyun the printout that the doctor had sent them of the baby's ultrasound.

Jessica wore a beige skirt with a white blouse while wearing a pair of heeled wedges.  Her bangs were braided to the side while the rest of her hair was straight and down.  Jessica had light make up on only wearing lip gloss, mascara, and eyeliner.  She finally gave herself approval over her appearance and tried to force another smile on her face.  She grabbed her handbag after hearing the doorbell ring.

She walked towards the entrance to the condo and unlocked the door.  She saw Onew with a big smile on his face.  Onew had a white long-sleeved shirt with a pair of black slacks.  They were going to an aquarium and planetarium because of a benefit event.  Their mutual friends, Taemin and Minho, were brothers that worked together on a project.  It was the grand opening to the aquarium and planetarium that were linked in the same building.  Minho was a well-known marine biologist and Taemin had just started off his career as an astrologist. 

"Jessica noona!" Minho waved at Jessica.

The tall man hurriedly walked up to Onew and Jessica and gave them friendly hugs.  It had been too long since he last saw them.  Taemin then joined his brother and greeted the two.  Taemin wore a blazer with slacks while Minho settled down with slacks and a long-sleeved polo shirt.  

"Both of your hard work paid off," Jessica complimented them, "The planetarium looks great, and the aquarium is filled with exotic creatures!  They're both fascinating!"

Onew agreed, "Your grand opening is successful.  A lot of big celebrities and politicians made it just to see your work."

Minho and Taemin bowed to them.  Onew and Jessica bowed back to the two men.  Jessica smiled at them to know that they were finally achieving their goals.  

Slowly, the smile on her face disappeared on her face as she saw a few guests walking by.  They were obviously waiting for a word with Minho and Taemin to congratulate them on their work.  Onew noticed the small crowd forming and immediately informed the two.

"I think you two have fans waiting for you," Onew joked, "We'll just go straight to the dining room and wait for dinner to be served there."

Minho nodded while Taemin waved at them.  Jessica lowered her head as they began to walk to the dining room.  She saw Jiyong in the crowd of people waiting for Minho and Taemin.  Jessica immediately frowned to see that Dara was right next to him.  Dara didn't notice her because she was so absorbed with the discussion with Minho and Taemin.

She quickly looked away knowing that Jiyong had seen her.  She didn't know why, but it hurt her seeing him with Dara.  It didn't initially bother her before, but it ached her heart to see them together.  She was clinging onto his arm while he dug his hands into his pockets.  Jessica felt the tears forming in her eyes as she continued to walk with Onew to the dining room.  She couldn't handle it anymore and decided to take a break.

"Onew, I think I'm going to go to the restroom," Jessica informed him, "I need to freshen up."

Onew quickly nodded and decided to freshen up in the men's restroom, too.  Jessica broke apart from Onew and entered the restroom.  She quickly locked the door and headed towards the toilet.  She closed the toilet seat and sat on it.  Jessica buried her face into her hands and began to cry silently.  If she couldn't stand watching Dara clinging onto Jiyong's arm, how could she handle watching them getting married?  She stood up from the toilet seat and looked at herself in the mirror.  She looked disgusting with her mascara running down her cheeks.  She grabbed a napkin and began to wipe it away.  She then reapplied her makeup before leaving the restroom.


When Jessica got home, she felt even more alone.  She felt so isolated from the world.  She went directly to her bed and rolled up in a ball.  With her knees against her chest, she continued to cry.  Jessica's tears landed on her knees as she sniffled.  How was she going to get through this?  She tried dating another man, but it didn't work.  The whole time she was with Onew, she thought of Jiyong.  

Jessica jumped up from her bed once she heard a sudden noise.  She looked around her room and saw that she had just received a text message.

To:  Jung Jessica
From: Kwon Yuri

Sica, please meet me in Mercy Hospital right now.  It's urgent!

Jessica stared at the text and immediately went to get dressed.  She knew that Yuri was serious about something.  Jessica's heart began to beat because of how nervous she was.  She knew in the bottom of her heart that something was wrong.

______________________

Jessica rushed into the hospital room.  The nurse recognized her and told her when she entered the hospital that she was needed in room 143.  Jessica opened the door abruptly to see the sullen look on everyone's faces.  She then saw Jisun laying on the bed as if she had all of her energy stripped away from her.  The woman that was full of life had turned into a weak patient.  Jessica slowly walked towards her and covered with her hand.  She had gotten even skinnier than before.

Jisun bravely gave an uplifting smile as tears began to stream out of Jessica's eyes.  Jisun wasn't related to Jessica.  She wasn't her mother-in-law, but she was a friend that Jessica would never forget.  She was close to her, and she felt as if she was her real mother.  Jessica nervously swallowed as Jisun weakly raised her finger up in the air.

"I would like to speak to Jessica alone, please," Jisun announced frailly.

She looked up at the worried faces to see Yuri, Jiyong, Yoona, Seunghyun, Sooyoung, and Daesung.  They slowly evacuated the large hospital room and shut the door behind him.  Jessica took a seat next to Jisun and gently held her fragile hand.  The tears continued to escape from Jessica's eyes to see Jisun so weak.  There were so many machines hooked on her body.  She had an IV through her hand, and she even needed a breathing tube through her nostril to help her breathe.

"If you didn't know, I'm going to die soon," Jisun joked.

Jessica's face showed the distress she felt at the fact that Jisun tried joking around when she was so weak and frail.  Jisun began to gently pat Jessica's hand as Jessica began to sob to herself.

"Please don't joke around.  You're going to be fine," Jessica assured her.

Jisun shook her head, "No, I was supposed to be gone from this world a few years ago.  I know what Jiyong did.  He made a bargain with the devil.  I found out a few weeks ago that he made a deal with the Park family.  He would have to give up the love of his life for my health, his father's company, and your dreams. He thought it would bring happiness to everyone.  He thought you would achieve your dream of being a singer, he would uphold his family's honor by leading a successful company, and he would help me escape the hands of death by beating cancer."

Jessica continued to cry because she was reminded on how her life was ruined.  She wanted a life with Jiyong.  If she had married him four years ago, they would have probably had children by now.  She would be a happy mother and wife.  Jessica's hands grew shaky.

"When is Jiyong's wedding?" Jisun questioned.

Jessica replied, "It's in two days."

Jisun frowned and gave a disapproving expression.  She had nothing against Dara because she was a beautiful, bright woman, but she knew that Dara was only fooling herself.  She only wanted to marry Jiyong because she thought that he would complete the ideals of a perfect life for her.

"That doesn't give you much time to stop the wedding," Jisun stated.

Jessica shook her head.  She had been this many times with several people.  She was not going to stop the wedding.  She had no right to stop it.  The past did not give her an excuse to stop the wedding.

"I'm not stopping the wedding," Jessica confirmed, "Jisun, I'm the wedding planner.  I'm not going to sabotage the wedding."

"But Jiyong loves you!" Jisun's eyes filled with tears, "Why would you want to live a life in which you helped the man you love marry another woman when you know deep down that he loves you, too?"

"It's for the best," Jessica expressed.

"It's not the best for anyone," Jisun disagreed.

______________________________________________________________________

Jessica had a solemn look on her face as she held the warm cup of tea in her hands.  Seunghyun and Yoona were sitting on the couch across from Jessica's chair.  Yoona invited Jessica for dinner at her house after they visited Jisun.  The doctors thought that she was going to pass away at that moment, but miraculously, she didn't.  She even nagged at the doctors for expecting her to die so soon.  Jessica wished she was as strong as Jisun.  Even though Jisun was faced with death, she had a grin on her face.

Seunghyun carefully watched his sister-in-law as she held that blank expression in her face.  He knew that she was thinking about so many things.  When Yoona and Jessica were talking in the hospital, Seunghyun had a chance to speak with Jiyong.  Jiyong told him everything.  He told Seunghyun about how much he still loved Jessica.  He told Seunghyun how important Jessica was to Jiyong.  How could she act like nothing was wrong?  The man that she was in love with was getting married, and she didn't make a single move to stop the mistake of Jiyong and Dara getting married.

"How can you do this?" Seunghyun suddenly questioned.

Yoona glanced at her husband with a confused expression.  Seunghyun and Jessica were always the type that had a love-hate relationship.  They loved each other like family, but they displayed it through pranks and jokes.  

"Jagi, what's wrong?" Yoona asked.

Seunghyun answered, "Jiyong confessed his love for Jessica, and she doesn't give a damn!  We all know that you still love him!  From the moment I saw you after Jiyong broke off the engagement, I knew that he would never leave your heart no matter how wrong he does you!  You love him!  Why won't you stop the wedding?"

"Seunghyun, this is none of your business," Jessica said calmly.

"Unnie, is this true?  Why are you being like this?  You're digging your own grave!  You know that it will kill you to see him get married to another woman!" Yoona yelled.

"I don't care," Jessica shrugged.

Seunghyun grew extremely frustrated with her.  Yoona looked very upset at Jessica's lack of interest.  Yoona turned to Seunghyun and gently held his hand.

"Jagi, can you please give me time with my sister alone?" Yoona requested.

Seunghyun nodded and planted a gentle kiss on Yoona's forehead.  Before he left the room, he turned around and gave Jessica his final word about the subject.

"Jess, don't do anything that you will regret," Seunghyun said before he left.

Yoona couldn't believe that Jiyong had confessed his love for Jessica.  It was even more amazing that Jessica didn't give a single care about it.  Jessica continued to sip on her tea as Yoona paced back and forth while she placed her hands on her waist.  

"Unnie, I don't understand you anymore.  You're still in love with him.  He has always loved you!  Why won't you fight for what you believe in?" Yoona interrogated.

Jessica threw her head back and closed her eyes.  She needed time to think.  She hated being smothered with so many questions.  

"I am fighting for what I believe in!" Jessica exclaimed.

"How are you doing that?  You're like a sitting duck!  You're not doing anything!" Yoona interjected.

Jessica swallowed, "Yoona, do you really expect me to prance into Dara's home, and tell her that I used to be with Jiyong?  Do you really think I'm going to tell her that Jiyong confessed his love for me and that I love him back?  What if she really does love him?"

"He doesn't love her!" Yoona pointed out.

"It doesn't matter," Jessica shook her head, "I'm not going to be the cause to the pain I felt four years ago.  Did you ever think of how I would be affected if I knew that I broke a potential marriage?  I know how it feels to be left at the altar!  I'm not going to be the reason why it happens to another woman!"

Jessica broke into tears as Yoona embraced her older sister.  Yoona finally understood why Jessica was acting like that.  It wasn't because she didn't love him.  She thought of the consequences.  Jessica personally carried the scar of being left in the altar, and it wouldn't feel right if she allowed it to happen to another woman.  


"Dara sshi, Taeyeon and Sunny had just texted me an update on the flowers.  Everything is going by just fine," Jessica told Sandara.

Dara nodded and took a deep breath.  She was obviously nervous about everything.  Her wedding was going to take place the next day.  She sat next to Jessica and held her hands.  Jessica was caught off guard that Dara held her hands anxiously.  Jessica tilted her head as she waited for Dara to talk.  Dara bit her lip.

"Sica, I'm scared," Dara confessed, "I'm afraid to get married."

Jessica froze, "W-why?  Don't you love Jiyong?"

Dara nodded.  Of course she loved Jiyong.  

"I'm afraid that my career would be affected!" Dara worried, "What if I don't have enough time to even work once I get married?  I don't want children yet either.  I don't want to be off work for nine months!  I don't even know how to take care of a baby."

"Everything will be fine, Dara sshi," Jessica smiled, "You and Jiyong will get through anything together."

"Ugh, I have something to tell you!" Dara exclaimed, "I need to tell someone!  I just need to!  I can't tell Jiyong because he'll freak out."

Jessica knew something was going to be wrong.  She sensed it. 

"I was offered a major role in a high-budget film," Dara bit her lip.

Jessica bowed her head, "Congratulations."

"No, this is bad!  I really want to do it.  I don't want to turn it down, but I'm getting married.  I'll have to be gone from Korea for more than ten months!  To add on to that, I'll have multiple kissing and bed scenes with a famous actor from Canada if I accept the role!  This role can make me into a world star, Jessica.  I just don't know what to do.  If I get married, I know Jiyong won't let me go," Dara complained.

What was her point?  Was she canceling the wedding?!  Was she going to call it quits?  Jessica felt her heart race.  She could not let this happen!

"Dara sshi, I think you should discuss this with Jiyong.  If he fully understands, he'll accept it and he'll let you do this project.  Have trust in the love you have with him," Jessica advised.

Dara hugged her, "Thank you, Jessica.  Sometimes, I wonder why you're still not married.  Any man would be lucky to have you as a wife."


His breath wreaked of heavy whiskey as he sat on a chair.  He closed his eyes as her beautiful face flashed before his sight.  Why did it have to end this way?  He overhead Dara and Jessica's discussion, and Jessica seemed eager for them to get married.  Why couldn't she love him?  Why was he in love with the wrong woman?  He loosened his tie and drank the remaining whiskey in his cup.  He refilled his cup and brought it up to the air.

"Cheers to the crappy, lonely marriage I will have!" Jiyong yelled aloud.

He knew that it was going to be lonely.  Dara would do anything she wanted.  From leaving the country to working long hours, she would do anything for her career.  He knew that she wanted to get married because it was what everyone wanted her to do.  Her parents wanted her to get married, her fans wanted to see a wedding, and her friends were all married.  

Jiyong sighed as Jessica invaded his mind again.  Was she really going to stand there and watch Dara and him get married?  Could she really handle that?


A/N:  Sorry for not updating in sooo long!  I hope you guys enjoyed it.  The end is near.