Going Overboard

Runaway Groom

Jessica pouted as Yoona and Seunghyun began to pack their bags.  She crossed her arms across her chest as she listened to her sister remind her husband to bring their phone chargers.  Jessica stood up slowly and helped Yoona back some of her pajamas into the large luggage.  Yoona was surprised when Jessica visited to inform them that they were now going on a cruise with Jiyong and his family.  Jessica was informed by Yuri that a group of other friends would also be coming.

"Sica, it's a good thing that Jisun likes you.  You scored us a free cruise on a high class cruise!" Seunghyun grinned.

Yoona lightly slapped her husband on his shoulder because she knew that Jessica didn't want to go.  For one thing, Yoona knew that Jessica would feel pain at Jiyong's presence.  Going on a vacation with his family would only remind her how it would feel if they had actually gotten married.  Yoona zipped her luggage and gave a smile of content to know that she was ready to go.  Yoona decided that she needed to talk to her sister alone.  She turned to her husband and gave an innocent smile.

"Jagiya, can you please go downstairs to check if the dinner is ready?  Make sure that the servants have some kimchi as a side dish!" Yoona requested.

Seunghyun listened to his wife and nodded.  He wasn't finished packing yet, but he figured that Yoona wanted to be alone with Jessica for some reason.  He bent down and then gently kissed her forehead.  He gave a smile of satisfaction.

"Of course," he agreed.

Jessica observed the married couple and realized that when Yoona really wanted something, he would give in without a question.  It was as if he understood what she was thinking without her speaking a single word.  She had admiration for the both of them and realized how great of a husband Seunghyun was.  Seunghyun gave in to what Yoona wanted every single time.  He was the man that traveled to China just to get a limited edition pair of Jimmy Choo heels that Yoona secretly wanted.  He was the one that declined a role in a prestigious movie because one of the dates to film had landed on Yoona's birthday.  Jessica told herself that she would one day find someone that could make her happy like how Seunghyun had made Yoona happy.

Seunghyun left the opened luggage and left the room immediately.  Yoona walked over to his luggage and began to finish packing for him.  She gave Jessica a look that almost .  

"Unnie, I think this is fate," Yoona stated.

"I don't believe in it," Jessica replied.

Yoona showed her excitement, "Oh come on, unnie!  Aren't you just excited?  It's been four whole years.  For four years, you have been independent and strong, but you shunned away all of your friends and you rejected the thought of love!  Ever since you met Jiyong oppa again, you have become more radiant!  You met up with Sunny, Taeyeon, and Yuri!  Your icy heart is finally melting.  I know that this sounds bad because Dara's my friend, but he doesn't belong with her.  He belongs with you!  Don't you think that there's a reason to why you're his wedding planner?  The fates had decided that you two have to fall in love again."

Jessica straightened out her satin dress and took a deep breath.  Yoona was still a hopeless romantic.  Jessica wished that everything was just as simple as Yoona thought, but it was more complicated than ever.  

"Yoona, my life isn't a fairytale," Jessica reminded her.

"Your life is like a book that hasn't been finished yet.  You may think that it's finished, but it's not!  You think that nothing in your life will change.  You'll continue to be one of the best wedding planners in Seoul, you'll continue to be an ice princess, and you'll continue to be single.  It's not over.  You're still young, and you still have a chance at love," Yoona responded, "Just let him back into your heart.  He already admitted that he loved you!"

Jessica grew more frustrated as Yoona continued to talk.  Her heart felt like it was breaking while her mind told her to it up.  She sniffled as she finally lost it.  

"Yoona ah, stop it!" Jessica exclaimed, "He's not the right one for me, so stop forcing it on me!"

Yoona grew silent as she saw tears welling up in Jessica's eyes.  She knew that she was trying to hold them in.  Yoona felt guilty for making her almost break into tears.  Yoona knew for a fact that it would take a lot for someone to make Jessica cry.  Yoona walked up to her sister and gave her a warm hug.

"I'm sorry, unnie.  I just want you to have the happiness that I have when I'm with Seunghyun.  I thought that Jiyong oppa would be the only man that can make your heart content.  I just want what's best for you," Yoona whispered.


Jessica frowned as she sat on her bed. They were on the cruise and all of the guests were getting their belongings settled.  Jessica shared a room with Seunghyun and Yoona.  The bedroom that they were given had a queen sized bed and a twin sized bed.  There were two possible sleeping arrangements.  Seunghyun and Yoona could take the queen sized bed while Jessica took the twin sized bed or Jessica and Yoona could share the queen sized bed while Seunghyun slept along on the queen sized bed.

"Unnie, me and you can sleep on the bigger bed if you'd like," Yoona offered.

Seunghyun plopped on his belly on the queen sized bed and gave a sulky expression.  Yoona sat on the queen sized bed while Seunghyun pulled her in and wrapped his arms around her waist while she sat up.

"Jagiya, that's not fair.  We're supposed to sleep next to each other because we're married," Seunghyun argued.

Yoona rolled her eyes, "I packed one of your teddy bears, so you can sleep next to that instead."

"I'd rather sleep next to you," he complained.

Yoona giggled as she gently pushed his head to the side.  Jessica didn't want them to be apart during the night, and plus, she was sure that Yoona would rather sleep next to her husband than her sister.  Jessica decided to help out Seunghyun for a change.

"Yoong, I think you should sleep next to your husband.  I'll sleep on the smaller bed by myself.  I really don't think Seunghyun would even fit on the smaller bed.  He's too tall!" Jessica claimed.

Seunghyun gave Jessica a thankful smile as Jessica gave a little nod.  Seunghyun was a good husband to Yoona, so Jessica figured that she should give him this.  

Jessica hopped off the bed and straightened out her shirt.  She was dressed in a pair of denim jeans with a t-shirt.  Her black sneakers rubbed against the carpet as she made her way to the exit of the room.  Yoona turned around and saw how eager she was to leave.

"Unnie, where are you going?" Yoona asked.

"I think I'm going to walk around for a bit.  I want to see the sights that this boat has to offer," Jessica informed them.  

Yoona stood up and grabbed a jacket from her luggage.  She tossed it over to her older sister while Jessica caught it with one hand.  

"It might get cold.  Wear it so that you don't get sick," Yoona told her thoughtfully, "And don't forget your key to the room!"

Jessica smirked sarcastically while she dangled the room key in the air, "Yes ma'am!"

Jessica stepped out of the room and made her way into the elevator.  The cruise line had four floors of passenger rooms.  Jessica was still in shock to know that Jiyong and his family had rented out the top floor just for their guests and for themselves.  Jessica still didn't know who was invited and she was very curious on who she would run into.  She made her way on the deck floor and found many shops to her delight.

It amazed her that Jiyong could afford something as grand as this.  She didn't want to make it look as if she was looking down on him, but four years ago, he couldn't even afford anything close to this.  It amazed her how much he had transformed.  It was shocking to know that he was now rich enough to rent out one whole floor of rooms for his family and his guests.  

Jessica continued to walk around the deck and stopped as she saw the sun setting.  She walked over to the metal railings and set her delicate hands over the cold metal.  She leaned towards the railings as she watched the sun slowly descend to the horizon.  It had been a long time since she had watched the sun set.  She had occupied herself with her work that she forgot about enjoying the little things in life.  She found a genuine smile on her flawless face.  She leaned her elbows on the railings and rested her chin on the palm of her hands.

"It's a beautiful sight, huh?" she heard a voice say.

She turned around at the familiar tone.  She grinned widely to see a close friend again.  She jumped up and gave him a hug after he opened his arms out to her.  

"Jess, it's been a long time!" he exclaimed.

"Donghae, I haven't seen you since...my wedding that was cancelled...How's the industry?" Jessica questioned.

Donghae was Jessica and Yoona's neighbor when they were children.  Because those three were the only ones that were close in age around the neighborhood, they were the ones that hung out frequently.  Donghae always protected Yoona and was Jessica's best friend.  Jessica let go of his embrace as she saw a new man in front of her.  It was amazing how much he had changed.  He wasn't the prepubescent teenager that Jessica had always remembered.  He was now a mature man, and he looked highly successful.  With a black blazer over a button up shirt, he seemed as if he was from Hollywood.  

"It's been good to me so far," Donghae nodded, "I'm actually going to direct a movie in a few months.  I'm really excited because it's my first movie with A list celebrities in Korea."

Jessica replied, "That's great!  Your dreams of becoming a successful director will come true.  You have always had a deep appreciation for films."

Donghae joked, "So is Yoona available as an actress?"

"Well, she's married now, and I think she has planned to have a short hiatus in the business.  She really wants to start her own family now," Jessica informed him.

Donghae gave a faint smile as he realized the changes in Jessica.  Everyone noticed her change in hair color and her attitude.  She was still nice as before, but he had a feeling that she was now different.  Before, she was was extremely happy and bright.  She didn't seem like the jolly Jessica that he had grown up with.

Donghae felt as if he was part of the reason to why she had changed.  He should have been there for her when Jiyong left her, but he went to study movies and films instead.  He was one of her best friends, and he felt guilty for not being there for her.

"About what happened a little over four years ago..." Donghae continued.

"What about it?" Jessica asked.

Donghae swallowed nervously as he began fiddle with his fingers.  He looked at her with so much guilt that he felt that the guilt was starting to eat his heart.

"I'm sorry about what I did," he said in a low tone.

Jessica felt teary as she refused to remember what happened.  She forced the tears in as she gave a forgiving smile.  She normally didn't give second chances to people, but Donghae was one of the few exceptions.  She had known him for more than ten years and he had been a trustworthy friend.  Jessica put her hand on his shoulder and then patted the side of his arm.

"It's okay, oppa.  We never stopped being friends, so don't worry," Jessica assured him.

Jessica felt someone tap her shoulder and she quickly turned around.  Yuri was standing there with a friendly grin on her face.  She gave a little wave and bowed to Donghae and Jessica.  Yuri had a pair of black shorts and a white ruffled blouse.  Her black hair was straight and sleek as it flowed over her shoulders.

"I'm sorry for interrupting," Yuri apologized.

Jessica was pretty sure that Yuri and Donghae have not met each other.  Donghae and Jessica bowed back to Yuri as Yuri gave a bright smile.  

"Yuri ah, this is Lee Donghae. Donghae, this is Kwon Yuri.  She's Jiyong's younger sister," Jessica introduced them.

"It's nice meeting you," Donghae stated.

Yuri responded, "Are you one of Jiyong oppa's guests?"

"No, I'm rooming on the second floor.  I'm actually just vacationing with a few of my close friends," Donghae informed them, "I'm just glad that I had a chance to run into a familiar face again."

Without a hassle, Donghae bowed to the two beautiful ladies one more time and then jogged to his friends who were waiting for him in a nearby shop.  Jessica turned around and hugged Yuri.  Yuri hugged her back and then smiled.

"Unnie, my mom sent me out to look for you," Yuri notified her.

Jessica felt guilty because the ship was fairly large.  Yuri must have been looking for her for about fifteen minutes.  Jessica adjusted the headband on her head while Yuri began to explain why she was looking for her.

"My mom wanted me to look for you because she wants you to visit her in her room.  Oppa won't let her out at the moment because he said that it's too cold for her.  He's afraid that she's going to get sick and catch a cold.  My mother's birthday party is tonight and she wants your fashion advice," Yuri giggled, "She still turns to you when it's about fashion."

Jessica couldn't help but chuckle at Jisun.  When Jessica and Jiyong were dating, Jisun wouldn't buy anything unless Jessica had given her approval.  Yuri was usually the one that fixed Jisun's hair and makeup while Jessica took care of her wardrobe.  Jessica nodded and accepted Yuri's request to help Jisun on her outfit.  

Jessica swung her arm around Yuri's arm and remembered all of the good times that they had spent together back in college.  Jessica's eyes lit up as she remembered something that she had always wanted to ask Yuri.  Yuri and Jessica walked into an elevator and then Yuri pressed the button for the top floor.  As the elevator door closed, Jessica began to interview Yuri.

"So, how are you and your love?  I knew that you and Young Bae were meant for each other," Jessica cocked an eyebrow.

Yuri giggled while she looked down at the elevator floor as her fingers interlaced with each other.  Jessica nudged her playfully and joined in on the laughter.

"We're engaged now," Yuri admitted, "Oppa doesn't know yet.  He thinks that I'm too young to get married."

Jessica was utterly shocked to find out that Yuri was hiding her engagement from her own brother.  Yuri was Jessica's age and it was hard to believe that Jiyong was opposed to it.  Jiyong had proposed to Jessica when she was 20, but he wouldn't allow Yuri to get married when she was 24.  

"Does your mother know?  Jiyong is stupid to think that he can control you!" Jessica exclaimed.

"My mother knows, and she agreed that we keep my engagement a secret until I grow a little older.  I would like to get married soon, but I can wait two or three years," Yuri said understandingly.

Jessica shook her head, "If you really love someone, you wouldn't have to hide the relationship."

"It's just complicated.  Oppa has changed," Yuri explained.

The elevator door opened as they heard a loud dinging sound.  Jessica and Yuri stepped out of the elevator and made their way to Jisun's room.  Jisun and Yuri were sharing a room while Young Bae and Jiyong shared another room together.  Jessica knocked before she entered the room.  She heard Jisun's voice through the wooden door.  Yuri opened the door with her key and walked in while leading Jessica into the room.

Jessica was taken aback at the sight.  The room was really extravagant.  There were two queen sized beds and she guessed that Jisun and Yuri had the best view from their balcony.  She briskly walked over to the old woman and gave her a warm hug.  Jisun smiled as she closed her eyes while Jessica embraced her.  Another new sight for Jessica was seeing the many machines in Jisun's room.

There were so many machines that Jessica couldn't tell them apart.  She had to guess that the machines were meant for medical purposes.  Jisun was hooked on to the machines as several tubes surrounded her whole body.  Yuri gave her mother a hug while Jessica stood there in confusion.  She didn't understand why Jisun was hooked onto so many machines.  

"Jisun ah, why are there so many machines here?" Jessica asked as she held in her tears.

She couldn't explain why she wanted to cry.  She knew that she had no right to cry since Jisun was not her mother, but she couldn't resist it.  It was hard to see someone that she cared about going through so much.

Jisun reached her hands out for Jessica as Jessica walked up to her and squeezed her hand gently.

"These machines are the only things that help me stay alive," she informed Jessica.

Jisun pointed at one of the machines.  Jessica was familiar with it and knew that it measured her blood pressure.

"That measures my blood pressure.  I need to look over my blood pressure at least twice a day.  And the one next to it helps me breathe when I run short on breath.  The other machines check my temperature, heart rate, blood sugar levels, and so on.  The list is endless.  On top of that, I have to take more than nine medications daily," Jisun admitted, "It's a hard life."

Jessica found herself in a whirl.  It was confusing because when Jessica had visited her at her house, Jisun seemed fine.  

"These things were not with you when I visited you at your home," Jessica pointed out.

"Yes, that is so because they were in my room," Jisun informed her, "If you didn't know, I have lung cancer.  The doctors diagnosed me with lung cancer four years ago.  They said that they didn't expect to live for another year."

"You're alive still!  You proved them wrong!  Maybe you're not as sick as they think you are!" Jessica interjected.

Jisun shook her head slowly, "The only reason why I'm still here is because of Jiyong.  He's the reason all of these machines are here.  If you didn't know, Sandara's family owns a big hospital and with their help, I was able to outlive my doctor's expectations."

Jisun tried to smile as he saw Jessica frozen as a statue.  Jessica was the type that wouldn't normally show expression or how she felt, but she ended up in tears.  She wasn't able to control her feelings and was overwhelmed by it.  Yuri ran up to her and gave her a comforting hug as Jisun patted the top of Jessica's hand with care.

"I'm sorry," Jessica apologized, "I shouldn't be crying, but I never thought that it was like this.  I feel guilty for not visiting you.  I ignored you when you needed moral support.  I'm such a bad person."

"Sica ah, you're not a bad person.  You're just confused.  I know you were and you still are," Jisun smiled.

Jessica stopped crying and looked up at the old woman.

"What do you mean?  I'm not confused.  I have a great career," Jessica replied.

"Ah, that's true," Jisun nodded, "but your heart is still confused."


Jessica was surrounded by many familiar faces as everyone sang loudly.  Jisun was finally blowing her birthday cake while everyone cheered.  The same people that Jessica hung around with four years ago were there.  It was nice to see her college friends again, but something in the back of her mind kept on telling her that because of her attitude, she had missed out on so much.  

Everyone was dressed in formal attire as they celebrated Jisun's birthday.  Jisun had Jessica help her pick a dress.  Jisun was wearing a long sleeved dress that went down to her ankles.  Jisun particularly wanted the color to be yellow because she wanted to look lively on her big day.  Because Jisun couldn't bear wearing heels, she wore a pair of white flats.

Jessica wore a long, light pink dress with a pair of strapped heels.  Jessica turned around and saw the many changes that she had missed out on.  Some things stayed the same like Jisun and Yuri.  Jisun was still a party animal despite her old age and Yuri was still as sweet as ever, but there were changes in some people that Jessica had been reunited with.  Seohyun was finally in a relationship.  She was the one that refused any dates that were offered to her, and Jessica had to respect Seungri for breaking her out of her shell.  Daesung was had finally shed his shy image.  He was the nerdy boy that secretly loved Sooyoung, but now, he was the confident and loving boyfriend of Sooyoung.  

As people began to dance in the party room, the temperature rose.  It was cold outside, but the heat in the room was getting a bit unbearable for Jessica.  She was sitting with Seunghyun and Yoona.  Seunghyun was drinking a martini while Yoona stuck to a glass of cranberry juice.  

"Sica, you don't want a drink?" Seunghyun asked her.

Jessica fired back, "Why?  You want me to get drunk and make a fool out of myself, huh?  Tell your wife to drink with you!"

"No, I don't want her drink," Seunghyun admitted, "but you look tense, so you need a drink."

Jessica stared at the shot glass that Seunghyun had set in front of her.  Yoona didn't mind if her sister decided to drink because Jessica was old enough.  When Jessica didn't want to remember something, she would drink.  She slowly reached for the drink because she didn't want to remember the day she had spent with Jiyong's family.  She didn't want to get used to seeing them often because she wasn't with Jiyong anymore.  Within fifteen minutes, Jessica had drank three shots of tequila.  Yoona had to stop her as she scolded her husband.

"Look at what you did!" Yoona lectured Seunghyun, "Stop pouring her more shots! She's going to have a hangover in the morning.  I think she has had enough."

"She's old enough to drink, darling," Seunghyun smiled.

Yoona rolled her eyes as she crossed her arms across her chest.  Seunghyun was getting drunk also, and Yoona guessed that she would have to take sleeping pills to get to sleep.  Whenever he was drunk, it was hard for her to sleep because he would move around frequently and the motion always bothered her.

Jessica felt herself sweating and decided that she needed to get out of the large room.  The party was fun, but it was getting too uncomfortable for her because  of the rising temperature.  Jessica fanned her hand to her face as she sighed loudly.  She quickly took the opened bottle of red wine next to Seunghyun and stood up.

"Hey, that was mine!" Seunghyun complained.

"I need something to drink," Jessica said, "I'm going to go out on the deck to get some air.  I'm sweating too much in here."

Yoona gave a puzzled expression as her sister walked out of the room.  She looked at her husband and he gave the same expression.

"Jagiya, is it hot in here?  I don't feel too warm," Yoona stated.

Seunghyun agreed, "I don't feel too warm either.  Maybe it's just her."


Jessica stumbled around the deck of the cruise ship as she held the bottle of red wine her fragile hands.  She drank the wine straight out of the bottle as she began to sing to herself.  Luckily, there were no onlookers because all of the passengers were either at Jisun's party or they were in their rooms sleeping.  Jessica's humming and singing grew louder as she began to dance to her own singing.

"You better run..run..run...run...run!" she sang out loudly as she danced to it.

Her drunken self was laughing aloud.  She seemed like a drunk fool that couldn't find her way back.  Jessica pushed back the stray hairs flowing over her face as she puffed out her cheeks.  She quickly ran to the edge of the ship as her hands rested on the cold railings.  She set the bottle of red wine down and took off her heels.  She climbed to the other side of the railing and hung on the silver metal.  She breathed in the fresh ocean air and closed her eyes.  Her moment of heaven was soon over when the boat suddenly rocked forward.  The waters were calm, but the boat had unexpectedly hit something.  It was good that the boat was not damaged; it was bad that Jessica lost her balance.  Jessica's grip on the railing slipped as she crashed into the waters.

The sea of cold water surrounded her as her body grew paralyzed at the sudden fright that she felt.  She knew that she was going to die.  Everyone was either in the party or in the room.  What made it worse was that she could hardly swim.  The tears that escaped her eyes were not seen because of the surrounding water around her.  She looked up at the large boat and saw it moving slowly away from her.  Her body began to sink in the waters as she tried to splash around to keep her head up.  As her head began to descend into the water, she saw someone run against the steel bars to the boat.  

"Sica, you're so stupid!" that person exclaimed loudly.

Before Jessica's eyes closed, she saw the silhouette of that person climb over the metal railings and jump into the water with a lifejacket in hand.  Jessica felt her body getting numb as she began to completely sink into the water.  With her arms flailing on the surface of the water, her head sank.  Soon enough, she felt herself swallowing the salt water involuntarily.  She knew that she was going to die and that whoever jumped from the boat would never save her in time.  All her doubts were put to rest when she felt a pair of strong arms lift her up to the surface.


A/N:  I'm really sorry for stopping on a cliffhanger, lol.  I hate it when authors do that to me when I'm the reader...aish, I'm so hypocritical lol.  I hope that you enjoyed.  Thank you for reading, and thanks for all the support.  I appreciate everything. :)