A Night Together Again

Runaway Groom

He felt the air rushing through his body as he jumped off the boat.  With a lifejacket clutched into his right hand, he hit the water and the impact was great.  His body felt the abrupt change in temperature as he began to paddle through the water.  He was motivated to swim faster as he saw Jessica's body slowly sinking down the surface to the water.  Jessica had always been a weak swimmer.  He went under the surface after inhaling enough air and began to search for Jessica.  The waters were pitch dark, but he didn't want to give up.  He didn't want her to lose her life.  He swam through the black waters and finally felt her in his hands.  He wrapped his arms around her tiny waist and brought her up to the surface so that she can breathe.  

He brought his ear next to as he listened for her breathing.  He heard harsh, troubled breathing and a smile finally flashed across his face.  She was breathing and she was still alive.  He strapped the lifejacket around her torso so that she could stay above the surface of the water.  He saw the ship slowly moving away from them, but a staff member that was walking on deck was seen.

"Sir, please help us!" he yelled at the top of his lungs.

The staff member squinted his eyes and then saw that two passengers had gone overboard.  He quickly nodded and took out a circular floater that was attached to a sturdy rope.  The staff member threw it towards him as he called for more help.  Fortunately, two other staff members helped the first staff member that was helping the two.  

As he held Jessica, he clutched onto the floater as the three men pulled them up with the rope.  

"Mr. Kwon?  You're the one that jumped overboard?" the staff member asked.

Jiyong panted as he tried to catch his breath.  Jessica was laying down on the floor to the deck as Jiyong began to crawl towards the unconscious woman.  He looked over her and felt her pulse to check if she was okay.  As soon as he touched her skin, he noticed that she was awfully cold.  Her body was shaking as if she was in snow.  Her wet bangs stuck to her forehead as he pushed them to the side.

"Bring her to the ship clinic," Jiyong ordered them.

________________

Jiyong entered his room and suddenly felt lonely. He had the room to himself because Yuri and Jisun didn't want to share their room with another person. His clothes stuck to his skin because it was soaked with sea water.  He sighed as he ed his shirt and took off his pants.  When his clothes were off of his body, he took a quick shower to get the scent of salt water off of himself.  He originally planned on going to bed right after he took a shower, but he couldn't.  As he laid on his bed, he stared at the ceiling as Jessica's face flashed in his mind.  

What she did made him feel angry, but he had to admit that he felt more concerned.  What made her want to jump off the ship?  Did she hate him that much that she would rather die than be on the same ship with him?  Was she suicidal?  He knew Jessica to be very strong, and it was a shock when he saw her climbing to the other side of the railings.

He quickly sat up and put on a pair of jeans and a jacket.  He needed to see her, and he needed to make sure that she was okay.  When he dated her, he remembered that she would get sick very easily.  She always had the worst fevers and colds.  He paced back and forth in his room as he tried to make a decision if he should check up on her or not.

"Why are you like this, Kwon Jiyong?" he asked himself aloud, "Why are you so scared to visit her?  What's so wrong with it?"

___________________

Jessica woke up as she began to wince in pain.  She didn't know why, but her legs felt as if they were weak.  Her head was hurting and her stomach was twisting in agony.  She saw the nurse with a gentle smile on her face.  Jessica saw the familiar face and tried to smile, but was unsuccessful.

"I didn't know you were a nurse," Jessica said in a low voice.

"Unnie, it may be hard for you to speak normally.  You're very weak right now.  You have a high fever and I'm pretty sure that your body is weak from trying to keep yourself from drowning.  You had a lot of water in your lungs, but fortunately, you coughed it out on your own," Min smiled.

Min was one of her colleagues in her theater class along with Yoona, Seunghyun, Jiyong, Tiffany, and Taeyeon.  It was surprising that she was now a nurse.  Jessica tried to get up from the clinic bed, but was stopped when she felt her legs aching.  She took a deep breath.

"Can I go to my room now?  I need to sleep," Jessica requested weakly.

Min replied, "Actually unnie, I can't really transport you to your room because I'm awfully small and tiny.  The wheelchair is broken so there's no equipment to move you to your room.  I don't think I'm capable of carrying an adult.  I was told to stay here until the morning or until someone picked you up."

Jessica grimaced in pain as her left leg contracted in a cramp.  She started to breathe heavily as she ran her fingers through her hair.  She felt like crap and she also felt like throwing up.  She tried to shift to her left, but she was too exhausted.

"Do you want medications for the pain?" Min offered, "There isn't much alcohol in your system, so it's safe to take painkillers."

"Yes, please," Jessica nodded slowly.

Min warned, "Unnie, I just want to warn you that it's going to make you really dizzy.  They're the only painkillers that we have in stock for the ship."

"It's fine.  I just want the pain to be gone," Jessica accepted.

Min took two pills from a bottle of painkillers and helped Jessica sit up so that she can take them.  She gave Jessica a bottle of water to take with the two painkillers.  As soon as Jessica swallowed them, she rested her head on a white pillow.

Min smiled at her colleague as Jessica went to sleep.  Min put away the painkillers and sat down on a chair next to Jessica.  She heard footsteps coming towards the room and grew a bit apprehensive.  It was past midnight and she didn't know who would be visiting at such an hour.  Min stood up and looked through the window.  She jumped up in surprise as she heard a gentle knock on the door.  She looked through the window some more and saw another familiar face.  Min smiled tiredly as she opened the door.

"Oppa, you scared me," Min admitted.

"I didn't mean to startle you," Jiyong assured her.

Min was highly aware of what had happened to Jiyong and Jessica.  Min was one of the guests in the wedding and she was one of the many that was shocked to find out that Jiyong had left her in the altar.  Min raised her eyebrows with curiosity to see that Jiyong was there.  It seemed that he had just showered because his dark hair was slightly dampened.  

"What brings you here?  Were you injured when you jumped in the water?" Min asked.

Jiyong shook his head.  He didn't even have a scratch on him.  His eyes drifted towards Jessica and saw that she was sleeping soundly.  Jiyong walked towards her and just stared at her.  It seemed that Min had changed her clothes into a big, loose hospital gown.  Jessica looked so tiny in the large gown that it brought a smile to Jiyong.

Min watched him carefully as he continued to admire the blonde beauty in front of him.  Min tapped her foot as she raised an eyebrow with interest.  It was obvious that he still cared for her.

"Isn't she cold?  Those blankets look awfully thin and that hospital gown isn't very warm.  What if she gets sick?" Jiyong interrogated.

Min answered, "Those are the only blankets and clothes that are available on this ship.  We don't have a full hospital here; we only have a small clinic.  Just to let you know, she's already sick.  She has a high fever."

Jiyong's eyes bulged out of his face as he quickly felt her forehead.  Her forehead was burning.  Jiyong brushed his hand over her bangs and pushed any stray hairs away from her face.  He didn't know why he was so concerned over her.  It grew awfully quiet in the small clinic.  It came to the point where Jiyong could hear his own heavy breathing.

"You could take her to her room if you'd like," Min suggested, "If no one takes her, she's going to have to sleep here."

"She's going to get even more sick!" Jiyong exclaimed.

Min replied, "I'm sorry, but I tried to make her as comfortable as I can.  I already gave her three blankets, and I already gave her some painkillers because she was complaining how much her body and head were hurting.  It seemed so excruciating to her."

"She's hurting?" Jiyong whispered.

"She was hurting," Min corrected him, "The painkillers stopped her from feeling excess pain.  She's resting right now, but the medications have some side effects.  They include dizziness and minor hallucinations."

Jiyong didn't know if he should take her to her room or not.  He didn't want to leave her in the clinic because she wouldn't be able to rest well, but he also didn't want to get involved with his ex-fiance.  He sighed because his heart had won the battle against his brain.  He walked up to Min and made his decision.

"I'll take her to her room," Jiyong decided.

"Great," Min grinned, "I can finally leave the clinic and get some sleep in my room."

Jiyong and Min wrapped Jessica in one of the linen sheets to keep her a little warmer on the way to her room.  Jiyong scooped up Jessica into his arms.  Jiyong stepped out of the clinic as Min began to lock up the room.  Min had to go to the left and Jiyong and Jessica had to go to the right.

"Ah, oppa.  I need to get to my room now.  Do you want me to help you carry her to her room?" Min asked.

Jiyong shook his head, "I think I can handle carrying her to her room."

Min gave a bow and a friendly smile.

"I'll see you both in the morning then," Min said her goodbye.

Jiyong watched Min walk towards her room with satisfaction that she didn't have to spend the night on a clinic chair.  She was given the chance to sleep on a comfortable bed.  Jiyong continued to walk towards the elevator so that he could reach the top floor.  After getting off the elevator, he made his way towards Jessica's room.  He knew that Jessica shared her room with Yoona and Seunghyun.  He laughed to himself as he imagined her feeling gloomy because she was the third wheel in the room.  She always hated being the third wheel.

He suddenly halted as he stood in front of the door to Jessica's room.  He read a little post-it note that was on the door.  He narrowed his eyes as he realized that it was Yoona's handwriting.

Sica unnie!

Please open the door with your key.  I took a sleeping pill and Tabi is drunk.  We won't be able to hear you knock.

Love, 

Yoona

"," Jiyong cursed under his breath.

He tried to look for her key in Jessica's hospital gown pockets, but they were all empty.  Her key was probably lost in the ocean when she almost drowned.  He grunted in disappointment because he didn't know where to bring her.  He then suddenly felt her shivering in his arms as he wrapped the blanket tighter around her fragile body.  He walked towards his sister and mother's room.  He figured that Yuri and Jisun could let Jessica sleep over in their room.  He knocked on the door, but he didn't get a reply.  He sighed after remembering that Jisun had probably taken her night medications that made her really drowsy.  Yuri wouldn't be able to help because even if she didn't have to take medications, she was the type that would sleep through an earthquake.

"I-I'm cold," Jessica stuttered.

Jiyong had no other choice but to let her sleep in his room.  He didn't want to do it because he knew that he would pay for it in the morning, but he was thinking about her comfort more.  He reluctantly opened the door to his room and set her on the bed.  He went into his bathroom and shut the door as he began to change out of his jeans and into his pajamas again.

Jessica tried to open her eyes as she attempted to move her frail body.  She let out a low grunt of pain while she tried to shift on the soft bed.  She wasn't very aware of her surroundings, and everything felt like a complete dream to her.  She felt as if she was weightless.  Her condition didn't benefit her because she practically thought that she was in a dream.

Jiyong exited the bathroom to see Jessica trying to move in her sleep.  He slowly walked over to her and realized that it still looked as if she was drunk.  He contained his desire to laugh at her demeanor and decided to keep silent.  If she was really awake, she would probably kill him for laughing.  The smile on his face quickly disappeared as he stared at her face.  She wasn't supposed to look attractive.  She was drugged with painkillers.  Her hair was disheveled because of the late bath that she took with Min's assistance.  She wasn't wearing a cute outfit.  He blinked as he realized that she was still beautiful despite her appearance.

Jessica flinched in her sleep as her eyes fluttered open.  Her eyes were only half open and Jiyong didn't know if she was consciously awake or not.  He tapped her shoulder to check if she was actually awake.

"Jessica...are you awake?" he asked.

"N-No," Jessica answered.

Jiyong sighed, "It must be the medications that's making her drowsy."

Jiyong grabbed the pillow that Jessica wasn't using and walked to the closet to get an extra blanket.  He was planning on sleeping on the couch because he felt that Jessica would be upset if he slept next to her.  As he made his way to the couch, he heard her scream out.  Jiyong dropped the pillow and blanket and ran to Jessica's side.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

Jessica moaned, "I'm so cold.  Don't leave me.  I'm scared."

Jiyong quickly scratched his head as she took the blanket that he had dropped on the floor and wrapped it around Jessica's body. He climbed to the other side of the bed and laid down as far as possible from her.  Jessica's body began to tremble terribly as she quickly scooted next to Jiyong for body warmth.  Jiyong's eyes grew large as he looked at her trying to find a comfortable position while snuggling into his chest.  He made a quick assumption that she wasn't in her right mind.  He was pretty sure that she thought she was dreaming.  Because she thought she was dreaming, she thought she was free to do whatever her heart and mind wanted to do.

"You're a jerk," she said drowsily, "A big jerk."

"I know.  I'm sorry," he whispered slowly.

Just then, her body began to shiver because of the lack of warmth.  Jiyong quickly hugged her to provide more body heat.  He already checked the heater, but it was already on full power.  He figured that it wasn't working as well as it should be.

He began to curse in his mind because of how much weight she had lost.  When he started dated her, he found her to be really cute because of the fat on her face, but now that it was gone, she looked more mature.  He didn't like the fact that her arms were awfully thin and her legs looked frail.  He guessed that she had not been eating very well for the past few years.

"Y-you said you loved me, but you're not the stupid one.  I am because I believed you," she mumbled.

"I'm really sorry," Jiyong breathed in her ear.

Jessica muttered, "No...I-I'm sorry that...I'm sorry that my stupid heart still only loves Kwon Jiyong."

Jiyong closed his eyes after seeing the expression on Jessica's face.  Her lips were in a frown as her eyes tried to open.  He saw that the corners of her eyes were moist and that she wanted to cry.  He couldn't believe that she cried in her sleep.  He closed his eyes shut because he didn't want to see the hurt expression on her face.  His heart couldn't handle it.  As he closed his eyes, his mind and heart began to reminisce about the past.  He softly groaned as a bittersweet memory flashed in his mind.


Flashback...

"Jiyong, what's your problem?!" Jessica yelled out.

Jiyong's hand was around Jessica's wrist, but she flicked it away.  She seemed so irritated as she gritted down on her teeth.  Jessica and Jiyong were in the Jung residence as they suffered their first big argument.  Jiyong walked up to Jessica as Jessica tried to get away from him.

"Get out of my face!" she warned.

"No, I'll always be in your face!" Jiyong countered.

Jessica exhaled slowly as she began to think of what to do to Jiyong.  He was usually the one that worshipped her, but now, he was going against her.  

Yoona walked out of her room and then stopped in her tracks as she heard the couple arguing.  She was planning on leaving the house early to study with Seunghyun, but after hearing the couple bickering, she decided to go back in her room and wait for the both of them to cool down.  The last time she tried to cross paths between them during one of their small arguments, they made her choose a side.  She didn't want to go through that again.  Yoona shut the door discreetly as she texted her boyfriend that she might be late.

Jiyong looked at Jessica and gave a disappointed sigh.

"You're never eating!  Do you want to die?  Look at you...you're getting so thin!" Jiyong argued.

"I don't see how this is an issue," Jessica replied with attitude.

Jiyong pointed at the unfinished plate of food that Jessica had left on the coffee table.  Jiyong had ordered food for her and Yoona from a restaurant and had it delivered to them.  After Jessica texted him to thank him for the food, he asked her if she had finished eating the whole plate.  Yoona had finished her plate of meat, rice, and dumplings in less than twenty minutes.  Jessica, on the other hand, only ate a few bites of rice, two small pieces of meat, and the skin of one of the dumplings.  More than three-fourths of her plate was still full.  Nonetheless, she lied to him and told him that she had finished the whole plate.  Their argument broke out when he made a surprise visit to check if she had actually eaten the whole thing.  He had noticed her significant weight loss and grew worried for her health.

"Why are you trying to lose weight?  You're not fat!" Jiyong exclaimed.

"I finished the food!" Jessica lied, "That's Yoona's plate on the table."

Yoona heard Jessica's lie from her room and poked her head out of her bedroom door.  Jiyong looked at Yoona as she gave a faint smile.

"Just for record, I devoured my food in roughly twenty minutes," Yoona stated before she closed her door.

Jiyong crossed his arms disapprovingly as he caught Jessica in a lie.  Jessica looked around the room nervously as she slowly bit her lower lip.

"Okay, I didn't eat it!  I wasn't hungry, okay?" Jessica lied again.

Jiyong grew frustrated, "Why can't you just be honest with me?  I know you're hungry!  Before you met me, you didn't worry about your weight.  Why do you even have to worry?  Even if you eat a ton of food, you don't gain a single pound.  It runs in your family.  Maybe I'm not what's best for you.  If I'm making you do this, I won't be able to live with myself."

He didn't expect what happened next.  Jessica had burst into tears.  For the first time in their relationship, she was crying in front of him.  He initially didn't know how to handle an upset woman, but with Jessica, it felt natural for him to hug her right away.  He felt like a culprit because he thought that she was crying because of him.

"I'm sorry, Sica," Jiyong mumbled in her ear, "I'm sorry for making you cry."

"Isn't a guy supposed to be happy when his girlfriend is trying to keep herself from getting fat?  That's what everyone says," Jessica teared.

"What are you talking about?  You're already perfect," Jiyong replied.

Jessica tried to wipe her tears with the back of her hand, "I always see girls trying to talk to you.  They flirt with you and they're always getting touchy with you.  I try to ignore it, but I can't help but think that you'll leave me for one of them.  They are just so perfect.  They're all toned.  They don't have a single percent of body fat.  They have perfect hair.  Their skin is flawless.  They're prettier.  They're just better than me."

Jiyong could not believe one word that she was saying.  He didn't want to admit it to her, but he always thought that she was out of his league.  He always thought that no matter what he did, he was not good enough for her.  It was a strange feeling to know that she felt the same exact thing.  He kissed the top of her head as he pulled her into his chest.

"Jung Jessica, I love you with all my heart.  My heart only belongs to you.  Not another woman can take me away from you because you're irreplaceable.  Even if you get fat or old, I'll continue loving you.  I love you so much that it's incomparable to anything else in this world.  I'll do anything for you," he whispered in her ear.

Jessica's sobs quieted down as each word soaked into her mind.  She knew that she was going to remember those words forever.  She closed her eyes as she rested her chin on the crook of his shoulder.

"You love me?" she confirmed.

"With all my heart," he vowed.

Jessica's tears stopped flowing down her eyes as she embraced her boyfriend.  A gentle smile rested on her lips as she recited his words in her mind.  She believed it, and she knew that it was true.


Jiyong opened his eyes again to escape the flashback.  He looked at Jessica's face and realized that she was now fully sleeping.  Her gentle breathing was heard as she continued to sleep with ease and serenity.  Jiyong cupped his hand around her left cheek softly as he kissed her forehead.  

"I really miss you," he whispered, "Good night, my love."

_______________________________________

Jiyong woke up as he heard a powerful pounding on the door.  He heard Seunghyun and Yoona's voices on the other side as he checked the clock.   It was still six in the morning.  He yawned as he hopped off the bed and made his way towards the door.  The knock on the door was so rough and strong that he thought that it was probably Seunghyun who was banging on the door.

As soon as he opened the door, he grew amazed to see that Yoona was the one that was knocking on the door.  He seemed to have forgot about her supernatural like strength.  He lowly chuckled as Yoona and Seunghyun entered the room.

"Jiyong ah, I can't find my sister!  I haven't seen her since last night!  What if she's missing?  I'm afraid! Seunghyun and I have been looking since five in the morning and we're tired!" Yoona sulked.

Seunghyun saw Jessica sleeping on the bed, but Yoona didn't notice her because she wasn't looking at Jessica's direction.  Seunghyun patted his wife's shoulder, but she grew irritated and brushed it off.

"Seunghyun ah, stop.  I'm worrying about Jessica," Yoona cried out.

"Babe, she's on the bed," Seunghyun informed her.

Yoona's eyes drifted towards the bed and saw Jessica there with a loose hospital gown on.  Jessica probably wasn't wearing any shorts under the large hospital gown.  It almost looked like an oversized shirt.  Yoona's eyes grew wide with suspicion as her eyes darted from Jessica to Jiyong.

"Oh my," Yoona finally said.

________________________

Jessica felt a major headache bang inside her head as she slowly got up on her elbows.  She opened her eyes willingly despite the brightness in the room.  She saw Yoona sitting on the foot of the bed.  Jessica looked around her and saw that she was sleeping on Yoona and Seunghyun's bed.  They were still on the cruise because Jessica saw the small twin sized bed next to the bed she was on.  Yoona crawled to Jessica and laid down next to her sister.

Jessica's whole body felt sore, but she was feeling better than yesterday.  Yoona stared at her as she waited for Jessica to explain everything.

Jessica stated, "I had a dream last night and it was weird..."

She realized that her younger sister was staring at her immensely as she cupped her chin with her hand.  Jessica grew suspicious and decided to ask what was up.

"What's wrong with you?" Jessica asked.

"What's wrong with you?!" Yoona fired back, "What happened last night?"

Jessica tried to remember what happened to her last night, "I think I drowned in the water.  The last thing I remember is that I was in the clinic with Min. Min was taking care of me.  She gave me medications and then I knocked out."

"Unnie, that's not all that happened.  I was looking for you since five this morning!  Do you know where I found you?  In Jiyong's bed!  I didn't even talk to him after I saw you on his bed.  I told Seunghyun to immediately carry you to our room!" Yoona blurted, "I didn't know how to react."

"Wait, I was in Jiyong's bed?  That's impossible!" Jessica shouted.

"Well, you better believe it.  It's as real as it can get," Yoona declared, "By the way, what was your dream about?"

Jessica looked up at the ceiling as a thousand thoughts rushed in her head.  She had so many questions to ask, and she was impatient to have them answered.

"Never mind," Jessica said in a low tone, "My dream isn't very important."


A/N:  I hope that you enjoyed this chapter.  Sorry for the lack of TopYoon lol.