Jessica's Past Haunts Her Again

Runaway Groom

            It was a perfect day in the Choi’s residence.  Jessica, Yoona, and Seunghyun sat on the porch of the extravagant house.  Yoona took a teapot and poured some tea into Jessica’s empty cup.  She gave her older sister a big smile as Seunghyun swayed on a rocking chair.  It was a perfect day.  The sky was so blue, the gentle breeze was just right, and the flowers were beginning to bloom. 

            “Jessica, why won’t you start dating again?” Yoona suddenly asked.

            Jessica tried to process it in her mind, but she just couldn’t.  She didn’t know why.  She thought that the scars of being left in the altar would heal by now, but she was wrong.  It still hurt a lot, and thinking about being in a relationship again scared her. 

            “I’m already in a relationship with my career,” Jessica laughed.

            Seunghyun sat up, “I don’t get it.  Why did you become a wedding planner?  I would never be able to after what happened to you.”

            Yoona’s face scrunched up as she pinched Seunghyun roughly on the side.  He yacked in pain as he rubbed the affected area.  Yoona looked at her unnie and felt apologetic. 

            “Sorry about that, unnie!” Yoona apologized, “Men aren’t very sensitive about anything.”

            Jessica shook her head, “Don’t worry.  That didn’t offend me.”

            She watched her younger sister and her brother-in-law bicker.  She was honestly jealous of them.  She wasn’t jealous to the point where she hated her own sister, but she had to admit that she was jealous of what they had.  They had love, compassion, faith, and trust.  She wanted that, and Jiyong took it away from her. 

            From all of the careers in the world, people always wondered why she wanted to become a wedding planner.  She originally wanted a career in music, but she amazed everyone by becoming a wedding planner even after Jiyong heartlessly left her.  The real reason why she continued on with her plan was because she loved seeing happy couples.  She was jealous of them, but she just loved seeing them linking their souls together through the process of matrimony. 

            A few hours later, Jessica drove home to her lonely condominium.  She faced a drastic setting change.  She went from Yoona’s joyful and loud home to her quiet, deserted condo.  As soon as she entered her home, she plopped onto her bed.  She didn’t even change her clothes yet.  She looked up at the white ceiling and with her hands on the surface of her forehead, she thought about what happened four years ago.

 

            Jessica was nervous as she fiddled with her fingers.  She looked at the engagement ring on her left ring finger.  Soon, a wedding band was going to be added.  She sat in the limo as she checked her hair in a small mirror.  Her wedding dress was just grand.  People complimented her for looking like a princess. 

            She anxiously sighed as she waited for Yoona to knock on the window indicating that it was time for her to get out of the stretched car.  She had been planning this wedding with Jiyong for about six months.  Six months of hard work was going to be showed off to the whole world.  It was their time to shine and most importantly, they were going to tie the knot.

            Time went by slowly as every minute ticked by.  Jessica grew more nervous and decided to finally roll down the windows.  She rolled it down slowly and beckoned for Yoona to come closer.  Yoona bit her lip nervously as she walked over to Jessica.

            Jessica observed her younger sister.  She had sweat beads across her forehead and her eyes were traveling around as if she was searching for someone.  She leaned in closer to Jessica.

            “Yoona, what’s wrong?  I’ve been waiting for quite some time.  Is everything okay?” Jessica asked.

            Yoona’s voice grew squeaky, “Unnie, we can’t find Jiyong oppa.  I called his phone more than ten times and it said that his phone was disconnected.”

            Jessica felt a variation of mixed feelings.  The dominant sentiment that she felt was concern.  What if something happened to Jiyong?  She quickly got out of the car and began to walk around in hopes that she would see Jiyong.  She was hoping that Yoona was playing another one of her pranks again.

            “Yoona ah, this isn’t funny!  Where is he?” Jessica asked in a shaky voice.

            Yoona hugged her sister and whispered in her ear, “I don’t know.”

            Being as stubborn as she was, Jessica stayed in the chapel for five whole hours.  The guests left because they knew that the wedding was cancelled.  Jessica thought that Jiyong could walk through those doors with the most bizarre reason to why he was late.  Jessica didn’t care what reason he would throw at her.  She just wanted to get married to him—with or without the guests.  Jessica sat on a church pew.  Her hair was messy, her makeup was smeared from all of the crying, and her dress was dirty.  Yoona hugged her sister as Seunghyun patted her back.

             "Jiyong has been my best friend since high school, and he would never do something as cruel as this!" Seunghyun exclaimed.

            “I’ll just wait for another hour or so,” Jessica informed them with a hopeful smile, “I’m sure he’ll be here any minute!”

            “Unnie, he won’t be,” Yoona whispered as she cried softly.

            “Yoona, stop it!  He’ll be back!  He loves me and because he does, he will come here to marry me!” Jessica yelled.

            A priest slowly approached them.  He knew what was happening and it was the first time he saw this.  The groom never left the bride.  The bride was usually the one to leave.  He gave Jessica a folded note and walked away.  Jessica unfolded it slowly and read it.  She just couldn’t believe her eyes. 

 

Jessica,

I can’t marry you.  I’m sorry.  You’re not the right girl for me and I don’t think I’m the right guy for you.  You can keep the engagement ring and please take care of yourself.

Sincerely,

Jiyong

 

            Jessica ripped the note into shreds and threw it on the tile floor.  She stood up as she made her way towards the exit.  Right when she stood up, she felt her head getting heavy.  Her body grew weak as her mind finally processed the fact that Jiyong had left her in the altar.  Her vision blurred as she saw nothing but blackness.  Then she fainted.

            Jessica walked into the office of her growing business.  She could hear her employees greeting her as she gave them a quick wave.  She didn’t even smile one bit.  She walked into her office and sat down.  Her secretary already set up the coffee and donut that she ate every single day.  Jessica leaned back on the office chair as she checked her agenda.  She was booked for the next six months.  Jessica took a few bridal magazines and skimmed through it nostalgically.  She was interrupted as her secretary knocked on the door gently.

            “What do you want?” Jessica asked.

            Her secretary opened the door fearfully and pushed up her glasses.

            “We have some business right now.  Ms. Sandara Park is here to talk to you about some very important manners,” her secretary said quickly.

            Jessica put down the magazine.

            “Are you talking about the actress?” Jessica questioned.

            “Yes, she claims that she is a friend of Yoona sshi’s,” her secretary informed her.

            Jessica thought about it for a while, “Okay, send her in.”

            A skinny woman walked through the door with a bright smile.  Her brown hair was down and she bowed as soon as she walked inside the office.  Jessica understood why she was claimed to be one of the most beautiful actresses in Korea (alongside Yoona).  She had a gorgeous face and a skinny body.  Her skin was also flawless.  Jessica gave a smile.  She may be y towards her employees, but when it came to a client, she tried to be as polite as she can.

            “Jessica sshi, my name is Sandara Park.  I attended Yoona’s wedding a while back and I was just amazed at everything.  The décor was extravagant.  The venue was unbelievable, and the food and entertainment was superb!” Sandara gushed, “I’m jealous because I want all of that.  She told me that everything was made possible because of you.  I would like to hire you as my wedding planner.”

            “I really don’t know.  I had to pull all-nighters four times for my sister’s wedding.  I don’t think I’ll be able to do that again.  The only reason why I did that for her was because she’s my sister.  That wedding was the hardest wedding that I have ever planned.  I know that you would like your wedding to beat Yoona’s, but I don’t think I can help you with that.  I can only go to that extent for my family members,” Jessica confessed.

            Sandara looked completely desperate.  She didn’t know Jessica for more than an hour, but she grabbed her hand and pleaded with sorrow in her eyes.  Jessica was taken aback by Sandara’s cry out for help. 

            “I’m not asking to beat Yoona’s wedding!  I’m asking for you to plan my wedding.  I don’t want to even compare to Yoona’s wedding because I know how great it was.  It was called the wedding of the century by the Korean press.  I would just like to have a nice wedding.  I’m very picky and I think that you’re the only person in this country that can make it happen for me.  Please help me out!” Sandara begged.

            “I have regulations then!” Jessica negotiated.

            “Sure!” Sandara’s eyes lit up.

            Jessica added, “I will only work from 8 am to 4 pm on your wedding.  I will only work five days a week, and you can’t complain about anything.  About the pay…”

            Sandara scoffed with humor at her statement.  Jessica probably forgot that Sandara was the third highest paid actress in Korea.  She was willing to spend a lot of money for her wedding.

            “Money is no object.  I’m rich and my fiancé’s rich.  If that’s not enough, which I highly doubt, my parents can step in and pay, too,” Sandara grinned.

            Jessica knew that her agenda was already booked.  Adding Sandara’s wedding was going to make things more hectic.  Jessica went through her planner and looked at her best friend’s schedule.  Her best friend, Hwang Tiffany, ran the wedding planning business with her.  She wasn’t as good as Jessica at planning weddings, but she was exceptionally good.  Jessica figured that she could pass some of the weddings that she was scheduled to plan to Tiffany.  Tiffany’s schedule was almost empty.

            “Okay, I agree to plan your wedding,” Jessica agreed.

            Sandara was so happy that she hugged Jessica tightly.  Jessica’s eyes grew wide.  Sandara reminded her of Yoona.  No wonder they were friends.  They acted alike.  Sandara let go of Jessica and fished in her purse for her cellphone.  Once she got a hold of her cellphone, she dialed a number.  She pressed the phone against her ear and after a few seconds, she began to talk to the person she called.

            “Baby, I got the wedding planner!  She’s just perfect!  You’ll love her when you meet her!” Sandara cheered.

            Jessica took her planner and put Sandara’s name on an empty spot.  Jessica needed the groom’s name so that she could write his name next to Sandara’s.  Jessica planned on asking her after hung up.

            Sandara added, “Jiyong, when are you returning from California?  I want you to come here so that we can finally start planning the wedding!”

            That name made Jessica choke on her own saliva.  She assured herself that there were hundreds or thousands of Jiyongs in Korea.  Just hearing his name made her uneasy.  She breathed in as she closed the planner and set the pen aside.  As soon as Sandara hung up the phone, Jessica tapped her shoulder gently.

            “I need to know who your fiancé is,” Jessica informed her.

            “Oh, it’s Jiyong.  Kwon Jiyong,” Sandara told Jessica.

            “Ji-Jiyong?  Which Jiyong is it?” Jessica asked nervously.

            Sandara looked through her phone and showed Jessica a picture of her fiancé.  Jessica wanted to faint after seeing his face again.  The picture of Jiyong was recent.  His head was shaved, but he still looked handsome.  Jessica clutched onto the hem of her skirt as she sighed loudly.

            “Is there a problem?” Sandara noticed her weird behavior.

            “N-nothing!” Jessica stuttered, “I just thought that I knew him, but I don’t.”

            Sandara was suspicious, but because she was happy that Jessica agreed to plan her wedding, she ignored it and kept a smile on her face.

            “Well, I’ll see you in a few days.  Jiyong is arriving in Seoul in about two to three days.  See you then!” Sandara said.

            Sandara gave her an awkward, quick hug.  As soon as she left, Jessica raced to her laptop and typed in Jiyong’s name on Google.  On an official website, it claimed that Jiyong was the heir to an airline company.  Jessica was informed that while they were dating, a middle-class family adopted Jiyong as a baby.  It irked her to find out that he had probably lied to her about his family’s background.  Jessica put her head down.  She didn’t want to plan their wedding, but she couldn’t back out.  She didn’t want to be unprofessional.

            “What have I gotten myself into?” Jessica asked herself quietly.


A/N:  I hope you guys liked it!  Please subscribe and comment...if you like! :)