Aftermath

Runaway Groom

 

            “This will surely help me cope with the pain that bastard gave me,” Jessica whispered to herself. 

            In front of the petite, thin woman was a buffet of different types of food.  Jessica took a large turkey leg and stuffed it in .  She was in a local restaurant and because the lunch hour had already passed, she seemed to be the only customer.  She let go of the absurdly large turkey leg and then stuffed with grilled meat. 

            The last time she ran away from a wedding, it was her own wedding.  She remembered what she did after what had happened to her.  After Jiyong left her, she didn’t eat, sleep, or even talk for two weeks.  The only times she ate was when Yoona would force her to eat.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yoona’s POV (past)

            When I looked at her, I felt a sharp pain in my heart.  My only sister had hit rock bottom, and she thought there was no recovery.  I wish I knew how to mend a broken heart.  She was laying on the floor in her wedding dress.  I can’t believe that she had put that thing on again.  With her cheek pressed against the floor, I could see that she had finally grown tired to crying.  Her swollen eyes were a reminder of her pain and agony.  Her messy hair looked as if it hadn’t been combed in so long. 

            I put down the tray of food that I had just prepared for her and sat on the floor.  I began to pat her back to comfort her as she finally spoke.  I was taken aback.  She had not spoken in the past week, and this had to be the first few words to escape through her lips.

            “Am I pretty?” she asked in a weak tone.

            “Yes,” I answered, “You’re very beautiful.”

            Jessica slowly questioned, “Am I a good person?”

            “You’re a great person,” I corrected her.

            “Then why can’t Jiyong love me?” she asked me.

            Tears began to stream down my face as I hugged her.  If only she knew how great of a person she is.  She was the person I considered to be my role model.  You don’t know how difficult it is to see someone you admire to be at her lowest.  She was known to be very strong, and it was just too hard for me to look at her.

            I told her, “You’ll find someone that will love you no matter what.”

~~~~~~~~~~~

            Jessica put down the food she had in her hand and puffed out a mouthful of air.  Yoona was wrong.  She wasn’t going to find someone that would love her no matter what.  The only person that she knew that would ever look past her imperfections and stay by her side was Jiyong.  Jessica glanced at the clock and guessed that Dara and Jiyong were probably already married.  Dara was going to have the life that she always wanted. 

            Jessica glanced down at her phone and saw that the screen had lit up.  It didn’t ring loudly because she had put it on silent, but she saw that Yoona was calling her.  She pressed the power button and ignored any calls.  She already had two calls from Tiffany, three calls from Yoona, and a call from Seunghyun.  She chose to ignore them because they probably thought that she was being suicidal right now.  She had no plans of killing herself especially for a man—even though he really hurt her.

            Jessica stopped eating and just stared at all the food in front of her. It was such a waste.  She ordered food enough for five people.  She probably ate two servings of each item on the table, but she knew that she wouldn’t be able to finish it.  Jessica looked out the window and saw a few children playing outside of the restaurant.  They were playing a few street games that Jessica never got to play because of her overprotective parents.  She beckoned at them through the glass as three children stuck her faces near the glass to take a better look at the lady.  They saw all the delicious foods on her table and were quite surprised to see that she was really thin. 

            “Go inside,” Jessica mouthed the words.

            The three children nodded and entered the restaurant.  When the children made their way to the table, Jessica signaled for them to sit down as she stood up.

            “I paid for all this food already, but I can’t finish them,” Jessica told them, “Would you three do me a favor and finish it for me?  I don’t like wasting food.”

            The children looked at the food and their lips.  It was obvious that they were from unfortunate families.  They had never experienced these delicacies, and they were grateful for it.

            “Thanks, lady!” a little boy cried out.

            “No problem,” Jessica smiled, “I’m going to head out now.  I need a walk—a really long one.”

            Jessica walked out of the restaurant after telling one of the workers that she had invited the children there and to not kick them out.  The three children began to eat diligently as they waved at Jessica, who was already on the other side of the glass.

            The big television screen hung on the wall caught the eldest child’s eye.  Her eyes bulged out as she gasped loudly.

            “What is it, noona?” the little boy asked.

            “That lady is on television!” the girl revealed.

            The three children looked at the television and saw that there was a breaking story that the station was reporting.  It was claiming that Park Dara, a millionaire heiress, and Kwon Jiyong, a multimillion-business mogul, had come to mutual agreement to cancel their wedding just a few moments into the ceremony.  There was also a picture of Onew, the ballad singer, claiming that he was the one that really owned the heiress’s heart.  Another picture of Jessica popped up claiming that she was the wedding planner and that Jiyong was in love with her.

            “That lady has a complicated love life,” the little boy commented.

___________________________

            Seunghyun had finally caught up with Jiyong in an airport.  Jiyong was frantically asking the receptionist if there was a flight to Paris that day.  The lady was claiming that the last flight for Paris had already left a few hours ago.

            Jiyong was close to tears.  He was sure that Jessica would go to Paris because that was the place she always wanted to go.  Jiyong had promised to take her there numerous times when he dated her, but it never happened.

            “Are you going to cry?” Seunghyun asked.

            Jiyong looked over his shoulder and saw that his best friend was staring at him intently.  Tears began to form against the rims of Jiyong’s eyes, but he held it in.  There was nothing more embarrassing than a grown man crying in the airport over the woman he left in the altar a while back. 

            “No!” Jiyong denied.

            Seunghyun sighed, “Well, I asked Yoona and Yuri to look for Jessica.  She’s not in her office or home.  I’m afraid we don’t know where she is.  She did text Yoona before she turned off her phone.  She said that we shouldn’t worry about her and that she’s just fine.”

            “That’s not enough for me,” Jiyong shook his head, “She’s in Paris right now!  Can she even speak French?  I think not!  What if she gets lost or something?”

            “You’re overreacting!” Seunghyun told him.

            “No, I’m not!”  Jiyong yelled, “The woman I’m in love with is going to Paris!  She’s going to France just to get away from me!”

            Seunghyun scratched his head and stared at him for quite a long time.  What in the world was Jiyong talking about?  Jessica did not go to Paris.  He was pretty sure that she was still in Seoul.

            “What are you talking about?” Seunghyun asked.

            “Tiffany said she went to the airport,” Jiyong said.

            Seunghyun couldn’t help but laugh.  Jiyong was always the type that misunderstood everything.  Seunghyun was there when Tiffany answered the call from Jiyong.  She said that Jessica needed air, not airport tickets.

            “You’re really stupid, you know that?” Seunghyun teased.

            Jiyong exclaimed, “Yah, hyung!  You’re not helping me out!  You’re making me even more anxious!”

            Seunghyun swung his arm around Jiyong’s shoulders and had a goofy grin on his face.  He knew that a happy ending was going to happen between Jessica and Jiyong. 

            “I have to tell you something, and you’re going to laugh at yourself,” Seunghyun smiled, “In fact, you might even feel kind of stupid.”

__________________

            Seunghyun told Jiyong everything.  Jessica was still in Seoul and she didn’t go anywhere.  Like Seunghyun said, Jiyong felt stupid for assuming the worst.  He thought Tiffany was trying to tell him that she was at the airport.

            Jiyong was sitting in his car alone as he tried to think of where Jessica would be.  She wasn’t at her office and she wasn’t at home.  She was never good at hiding from him, so he knew for a fact that he would find her before the end of the day.  His eyes lit up as he came up with an idea of where she was.  He was very sure of where she was as a matter of a fact.

            He drove his car with his hands firmly on the steering wheel.  He finally smiled at the thought that he was finally going to see the love of his life.  He was on his way to see the woman that held his heart and future.

            Jiyong immediately parked his car on the side and exited the car.  Still dressed in his tuxedo, he locked his car and made his way to the entrance of the building.  The church looked exactly the same from it did years ago.  Chills ran down his back as he thought of the day he had abandoned Jessica.  He could have saved her from the embarrassment of waiting for him on their wedding day, but because he made his decision on the last minute, it was inevitable. 

            He pushed on the heavy, wooden doors and looking into the chapel.  Because there was no mass in session, it was completely empty.  He sighed at the fact that he didn’t see Jessica there.  He was about to turn around until he heard a familiar sound. 

            The familiar sound was a sweet melody to his ears.  He closed the wooden doors behind him and began to walk up the aisle.  The candles in the front of the altar were lit and the crystal chandeliers on top of the ceiling shined as Jiyong halted.

            He didn’t know whether or not he should laugh or keep a serious demeanor.  Jessica was lying down on a hard wooden pew.  Her eyes were closed as she hummed a tune to herself.  She sniffled as tears began to escape from her eyes.  It amused Jiyong that she was wearing her wedding dress from the time that they were supposed to get married.  Her body never really changed so the dress was still a perfect fit.  With a beer bottle in her hand, she was a bit intoxicated but had control.

            She opened her eyes and sat up with alertness.  She tilted her head in confusion.  Why was Jiyong there in front of her?  He was supposed to be at his reception.  He was supposed to be married to Dara already.  Her cheeks flushed into a beet red color as she realized that he had just seen her crying in her old wedding dress.  She looked absurd with a beer bottle in her hand.

            “Is this your way of getting over me?” Jiyong smirked.

            It made Jiyong feel good to know that Jessica still loved him.  If she didn’t love him, she wouldn’t have been sulking around in the church that they were supposed to get married in.  Jessica exhaled as she turned around to leave.  Jiyong grabbed her by the waist and brought her in closer to him.  She refused to look him in the eye as she tried to push him away.

            “Don’t let me die from humiliation,” she whispered.

            “You’re humiliated?” he asked, “I thought I would be the one that was humiliated.  I didn’t marry the woman I was supposed to marry today so that I could be with the woman I was supposed to marry years ago.”

            Jessica managed to push him away as she stared at him in disbelief.  Why did he leave another bride in the altar?  She didn’t know why, but she felt extremely outraged.

            “You became a runaway groom again?” she asked in skepticism, “Jiyong, is this some kind of game for you?  Why are you always leaving brides at the altar?  Is this some kind of sport that excites you?”

            Jiyong shook his head, “Dara and I had a mutual agreement.  She’s not even in love with me, and neither was I in love with her.  I’m in love with you.  I have always been.”

            Tears continued to stream down her face as she took a deep breath. 

            “Do you know what was on my mind when you were late to our wedding?” she asked, “I thought you were just being fashionably late during the first ten minutes.  When time continued to drag on, I was afraid.  I wasn’t afraid that you were leaving me—because I thought you would never do that to me.  I was afraid that something happened to you.  The worst scenarios were flooding in my mind—I thought you got mugged, you got into a car accident, or something.  Do you know how selfish you were?  Even if you had a good reason to leaving me, you were selfish.  You were very inconsiderate.”

            His heart softened as he saw how much pain he had caused her.  She deserved none of the pain that she had received.  She deserved a happy ending and the man of her dreams.

            “You know what even more?” Jessica asked through the tears, “I can’t love another man.  I tried so hard to love another but I just can’t.”

            Jiyong held her hands after taking the beer bottle from her and setting it down on the floor.  She led her to the front of the altar where they were supposed to be pronounced as man and wife a long time ago. 

            “In front of this altar, we were supposed to be joined,” he whispered, “You were supposed to smile at me when you walked down the aisle.  I was supposed to be star struck because of how beautiful you were in that wedding dress.  It didn’t happen, and I’m sorry.”

            He kissed the back of her hand as he looked into her eyes.  She stared at him as he dropped down on one knee while holding her right hand.

            “Jessica, our love story had never been perfect, but our love for each other is something that’s rare.  It’s been strong despite many obstacles.  I never stopped loving you, and I know you never stopped loving me either.  Will you do me the honor of marrying me?”

            Jessica was at a loss for words.  She had wanted this for so long that it felt like a dream when it was actually happening.  She saw the sincerity in his eyes and knew for a fact that he was being serious.

            What shocked him was that she had slapped him on his face.  The slap stung into his cheek as he looked at her with confusion.  She was smiling as if she didn’t slap him to begin with.

            “That was for leaving me the first time,” Jessica grinned, “Jiyong, yes.  I will marry you.”

            Jiyong got back up to his feet and lifted her up as he embraced her.  He twirled her in happiness that she had finally said yes.  As soon as he set her down on her feet, she jumped up and gave him a quick kiss on the lips.

            “I just want you to know that if you leave me in the altar again like how you left me years ago, I will hunt you down and kill you,” she playfully warned.

            He smiled, “I’ll give you the gun to kill me if I ever hurt you like that again.”

 


 

Author's Note:  So this was the final chapter.  I also would like to apologize for failing to update this as frequent as you guys wanted me to.  To make it up to you guys, I decided to write an epilogue even though I wasn't planning on it in the beginning.

I'm just glad that I finished my first story that didn't revolve around my first OTP.  I have to say that writing this story made JiSica my second favorite couple.  Hehe.  Thank you again for reading and supporting.  I appreciate every comment that was written to me and every subscriber that has subscribed to the story.  Anticipate the epilogue!  I'll be sure to include their wedding scene and a few other things. :)