That's my person. Mine.

A guide to romance

Believe that you have it, and you do.

Just, maybe show it a little, too.

(from the Latin quote: crede quod habes, et habes)

--

Kyungsoo fixes his jacket nervously. Does it really look good? Well, it must, because Chen tampered with it to fit perfectly. Black is a good color for Kyungsoo, Chen said so himself. Since when Chen’s opinion matters so much he doesn’t know, but he doesn’t doubt the guy is a genius who knows fashion. Baekhyun clapped in approval when he saw Kyungsoo in his new and absurdly expensive black suit, so it must look good. Chen is well dressed too, in a sleek grey suit that normal people like Kyungsoo see only in high fashion magazines and fashion weeks somewhere around the world. If he looks any bit as well dressed as Chen, then he is happy.

But he is having this mini doubt-everything-about-your-existence panic moment before the big event. So. Does it really look good?

They walk on the large pavement alongside the green, finely trimmed bushes that surround the huge, marble building, which looks like a hotel. The place is in the middle of the bustling life of the city and they couldn’t park Chen’s car somewhere near, so they have to walk a bit. Kyungsoo doesn’t mind. The cold air helps him calm his nerves.

He shouldn’t really feel nervous. There is nothing to feel nervous about. Kai invited him to an event for his birthday as a friend. Just a friend; like any other. Even Baekhyun is invited, so the invitation is just a friendly gesture and nothing special. Kyungsoo is not special.

But he kind of is. He has spent a few more nights and mornings with Kai, some more drenched in guilt than others, but, generally, things are not as bad as they used to be for his mental state on the morning after. He still feels like Kai is dangerously close to him and he is still trying to convince himself that he should stay away and that Kai is just like all the others. But then Kai says those things that hit right at the centre of Kyungsoo’s sappy romantic illusions –and he looks like he means them too. He has also inadvertently admitted that Kyungsoo is the only one he has been sleeping with since they met –for some reason, being unofficially exclusive seems strange to Kyungsoo, considering the status of someone like Kai. Kai is handsome and rich and he could have anyone he wanted, in parallel with Kyungsoo even, and Kyungsoo would never know, if Kai wanted to hide his relationship with the other lover.

But no, Kai has a mindset to kill Kyungsoo’s poor heart.

“Okay, boys, here we are” Chen announces, stopping in front of the –very– luxurious hotel.

“Isn’t it supposed to be an exclusive club?” Baekhyun asks, eying the extravagantly expensive facilities, which is definitely a hotel, with grooms and visitors at the lobby and everything.

“It’s on the roof garden; on the private section of the roof garden to be exact” Chen informs. Chen has been to this club before and today he tagged along to show the way –since he is not invited– and because he said it was a good chance to get some fresh air himself, presumably not at the private section of the roof garden –the guy is rich, he can afford a night out at an expensive hotel’s roof garden by himself. “Good thing it’s not raining tonight”

“So, you’ll be next door?” Baekhyun asks and Chen confirms his assumption. “But Kai is a fan of your work; maybe he’ll invite you to come over” Baekhyun chirps hopefully. Chen only laughs at that lightly, looking ever so charming and cool under the city lights.

Kyungsoo shoots Chen a glare. He doesn’t want to think about that prospect, Kai meeting his idol designer Chen and swooning all over him –if Kai is even able to swoon; but even if he is, Kyungsoo doesn’t want to find out about it this way. Chen is a friend, not the enemy, and Kyungsoo would like to keep a good relationship with him. Baekhyun notices the look on his face and smiles, leaning closer to him.

“Don’t worry, Chen is not interested in guys like Kai, unless they are modeling for his clothes. He is looking for a stable relationship; he really does, unlike some others…” Baekhyun judges him with a short glance but Kyungsoo dismisses it without caring much. “He prefers softer guys or really nice and kind girls” Baekhyun concludes. Well, that’s good to know then. Kyungsoo feels a bit more comfortable around Chen now.

They walk inside the hotel and Kyungsoo swears he heard a whistle somewhere near them, but he ignores it anyway; he has bigger concerns right now. Because he will soon be meeting Kai’s friends, rich people that have nothing in common with him, people who will judge him and not approve of him necessarily. He doesn’t need to be necessarily approved either, but it would be nice if he could have a good relationship with Kai’s social circle…No, no Kyungsoo, it doesn’t matter; because it’s not like you’re his boyfriend, you’re just another friend. He hopes that if he repeats that enough in his head, it will start making sense.

Once in the quiet elevator, Chen leans on the wall, preparing for the long ride upstairs, and Kyungsoo stands on the side, a bit more stiff. He wishes he could be more like Chen, relaxed and confident. Chen emits this natural aura of power and high status, he is refined and elegant, always saying the right things, always cool and comfortable and confident in himself.

“Is my eyeliner okay?” Baekhyun asks, turning away from the mirror, and Kyungsoo checks it briefly. His friend’s puppy eyes are sparkling and that is a blush on his cheeks, unless the lighting here has suddenly turned pink.

“It’s good” he answers and Baekhyun sighs in relief.

Baekhyun is a different sort of person. He is cute without even trying and, when he dresses up like this, he is se*y without even knowing. He’s one of those people that wear this little bit of natural eyeliner and look a thousand times more radiant, because they are truly beautiful. And even when he is nervous, Baekhyun is not stiff, like Kyungsoo; he is smiling in excitement.

Kyungsoo can read beyond that smile however, not only because he has known Baekhyun for so many years, but also because he knows the reason why Baekhyun is nervous: it starts with Park and ends with Chanyeol.

When they were having the discussion about Baekhyun’s love future a few weeks prior, as any true best friend ought to do, Chen had a revelation, which he later shared with Kyungsoo: Chanyeol is Baekhyun’s prince. Because, just as Kyungsoo described, Chanyeol walked in a room one day, he smiled and swept Baekhyun off his feet. When they went to wake him up the other day, Baekhyun called Chanyeol’s name in his sleep as well, and Chen gave him a knowing smirk; he is right. Chen is also right about another thing; Baekhyun is oblivious. He has no idea he has started to fall in love with Chanyeol. Chen advised Kyungsoo against meddling or even hinting at the fact, and letting Baekhyun find out on his own; Chen has been friends with Baekhyun for longer than Kyungsoo, so Kyungsoo trusts him and plays ignorant. He is not exactly envious of Baekhyun, but he does wish he had a similar fate, a storybook love.

“How do we look?” Baekhyun asks nervously, just a few floors before they reach the roof garden.

“You look fabulous; I dressed you, remember?” Chen answers with a smile and a wink.

Now, honestly, to the whole universe out there: Why does Kyungsoo have to be that sort of person who goes rigid and looks like he is about to murder someone in a snap whenever he is anxious? Why can’t he be as charming and elegant as Chen? Or as adorable and sweet as Baekhyun?

The doors open to the roof garden and Kyungsoo gulps uncomfortably. Chen leads the way until a man appears by their side.

“Good evening and welcome to the Roof Garden Bar and Restaurant. Would the gentlemen like a table?” the man asks with a polite smile. Chen explains their purpose for being here and asks for a seat by the bar for himself, with ease and calm confidence, like he owns the world. The man glances at Baekhyun and Kyungsoo.

“Are you guests of Mr. Kai?” he asks with an approving smile, and Kyungsoo answers affirmatively. “Well then, Suzy!” the man snaps his fingers and a lady appears, walking closer to them with a smile. “Show the two gentlemen to the private section. And you sir, follow me to the bar please” They part ways with Chen, the latter giving them a thumbs-up and a wink before disappearing. They follow the girl across the fancy restaurant under the stars, until they reach a door on a wall of thick, green bushes. The girl holds it open for them and they walk to the other side of the roof garden.

It’s every bit as magical as Kyungsoo had imagined it; the flowers blooming in the middle of winter, twinkling decorative lights, furniture with high class design, a private bar, soft and prestigious music, young people dressed to the nines lounging around and smiling as bright as the twinkles of their jewelry. The place looks like it is floating in the sky in the middle of the starry night, and there is a sea of colorful lights and buildings underneath their feet. Everyone is wearing designer clothes styled to perfection and they carry an aura of refinement, sophistication and elegance. It’s a place where Kyungsoo doesn’t necessarily fit but he has dreamt of visiting all his life.

“Soo!” a familiar voice calls almost immediately after they step foot on this side of the roof. Kyungsoo turns around and sure enough Kai is approaching them, wearing a classy black suit and a huge smile. Kyungsoo smiles back politely. Thankfully, he is too nervous to notice how inhumanly and illegally hot Kai looks in his suit, so he doesn’t ogle much.

“Happy birthday” he says when Kai is close enough. For a moment there, seeing how Kai is not slowing down, Kyungsoo has this terrible fear that Kai will hug him or kiss him on front of all these people, and his eyes open wide as the smile freezes on his lips. In the end, however, Kai only swings his arm over the smaller’s shoulders; which is not exactly a hug, but it’s not as impersonal as it should be either.

“Not yet, Soo. You’ll wish me happy birthday later” Kai murmurs with a seductive smirk. If Kyungsoo was the type to blush, he would be as red as a beetroot right now, but he settles on fidgeting uncomfortably instead. There are so many people around; what is Kai doing?

“May I wish you happy birthday then?” Baekhyun asks kindly, flashing an innocent smile. “Happy birthday, Kai”

“Thank you, Baekhyun. Wow, look at you, beautiful as ever!” Kai makes Baekhyun spin once in demonstration. Kyungsoo is not jealous of Kai’s compliments to Baekhyun; Kai likes Baekhyun and he makes sure to show it. That is nice, because, on the one hand, Baekhyun is a kind soul worthy of praise and, for another, it’s comforting to know that the person Kyungsoo has closest to a best friend and the person he has closest to a boyfriend are on good terms. “I’m so glad you came tonight; we haven’t seen you in so long”

“Work, work, work!” Baekhyun chirps cutely, making Kai and Kyungsoo smile.

“Okay, now that you’re here, how about I start introducing you to some people?” Kai suggests with a wide smile, his arm still resting on Kyungsoo’s shoulders. Kyungsoo shrugs Kai’s arm away.

“Okay” he agrees. It has to happen at some point…Kai pouts slightly, confusing Kyungsoo. Why is he pouting? Is it about the arm? Well, Kyungsoo would rather be introduced to all these new, rich people without getting intimidating or suspicious stares from them because Kai is so touchy with him. Things that happen in the bedroom should stay in the bedroom.

“Well, I’m kind of popular around here tonight and I don’t think I can manage both of you. Baekhyun, can I trust you to Chanyeol for the introductions?” Kai suggests. Just for the sake of confirmation, Kyungsoo watches as Baekhyun’s eyes go slightly rounder and his smile strains a bit. Chen is definitely right.

“Sure, I don’t mind” he answers politely. Just ‘don’t mind’? Come on, Baekhyun! See it already, you’re happy beyond belief with this arrangement!

“I’ll send him to you then! And so, Kyungsoo” Kai announces cheerfully, bringing Kyungsoo’s attention back to his own situation. Taking advantage of his height, the taller hooks his arm around Kyungsoo’s shoulders again and this time, when Kyungsoo wiggles subtly, trying to shrug away, Kai holds him even tighter, making it clear that he doesn’t want to let go. Kyungsoo feels slightly frustrated at that; this stubborn man will make the introductions so much more awkward than they need to be…And all just for the sake of holding Kyungsoo close? “You got the birthday boy as your companion!”

“Lucky me…” Kyungsoo mutters begrudgingly, shooting Kai a strict glare, as the latter leads them away from the safety of Baekhyun’s moral support. Kyungsoo is a stranger who hardly fits in a place like this and he is glued against his will to the side of the man who is the centre of attention for the night. Great.

--

Chanyeol has to be honest with his feelings: he is thrilled to have Baekhyun around, he is glowing with happiness and he is seething with jealousy.

When Kai told him that Kyungsoo and Baekhyun were invited to his party, Chanyeol thought that finally this party would be somewhat interesting, and not just the same spoiled, sassy, rich brats, trying to convince everyone they are successful by spending their parents’ money and doing stupid things. Bitter much? No. He felt very excited and his expectations started to grow greater with every hour and day that passed, looking forward to this party. He didn’t care to hide his excitement either; like today, while he was waiting for Kai to get dressed and pick a tie, Chanyeol was humming silly tunes and giggling with no reason, just because the tension of excitement was too much to bear. When Kai pointed out that Chanyeol was acting weird, he just shrugged it off and relocated to Kai’s living room to wait for him. He gazed out the window without seeing anything but the reflection of his huge smile on the glass and then he started rocking on his heels restlessly. Yes, Chanyeol was really looking forward to this party.

When they arrived at the roof garden, there were a few people there already –thanks to heavy Saturday night traffic that made Chanyeol’s car follow like a snail behind Kai’s –but no Baekhyun yet. That was okay, Chanyeol could afford to wait a while longer. He socialized with the guests, cracking jokes, sharing stories of the past year with some who had been travelling to Europe all year, smiling politely to the rest and pretending to hear them with interest. Some are good company, just like Chanyeol remembered, some are engaged now, some have started their own business, but some others, Chanyeol found he doesn’t like them anymore; they are just too silly and reckless, so far away from Chanyeol’s everyday lifestyle and obligations in business and so far away from what he wants in his life in the future. Living without a care in the world is fine when you are a rich teenager, but eventually you have to grow out of that state.

And then came Baekhyun. Chanyeol couldn’t believe his eyes. After all these months and all these messages, Baekhyun was finally, finally standing obliviously just a few meters ahead of him, waiting for him as Kai instructed. Chanyeol felt excited and happy beyond words! Not to mention how stunned he felt too. Baekhyun is just like he remembers; cutely petite, breathtakingly beautiful and undoubtedly se*y. Wearing black, tight pants of great quality, a crisp white shirt and a well tailored vest, black in the front and silver on the back, which shows off his thin waist, he looks like the most seductive thing alive, combining elegance, modern fashion and some old romanticism in a sophisticated look. Why would anyone need a suit if they looked like Baekhyun in those clothes?

Chanyeol had some trouble at first when he approached Baekhyun for two reasons: one, his words suddenly seemed gone with the wind and he couldn’t remember his own name when Baekhyun looked at him with his twinkling puppy eyes and his dazzling smile, and two, he had to constantly remind himself that he should not act creepy and that they are in public and that no, he is not allowed to hug Baekhyun or hold his hand or touch him in any way to make sure he is real.

He fulfilled his obligation to introduce Baekhyun around. He started with the people he personally likes, introducing Baekhyun with great pride, smiling gloriously because Baekhyun was by his side and Chanyeol could call him ‘his’; his friend, but his nonetheless. Then, other people started to flock around, drawn in by Baekhyun’s natural charm and sweetness. Chanyeol was not very happy about that. He got more protective of Baekhyun, because he knows how venomous these vipers can be, whilst Baekhyun kindly tolerates everyone patiently. 

They all seem very fascinated by Baekhyun, listening to him talk about his work, dazzled by his smile, and trying to present themselves so grand in his eyes. Eventually, Chanyeol started to feel depressed, because he does not monopolize the attention of his little guy; Baekhyun smiles to other people and he laughs at their jokes cutely, seemingly forgetting about Chanyeol’s existence on earth. That is why Chanyeol is jealous; because all these people have Baekhyun’s attention and Chanyeol is sitting with some other people by the bar, talking with them without really paying attention, having lost his sense of existence on earth. His mind is constantly on Baekhyun, standing a bit further away, and his dazzling beauty as he chats with people. Chanyeol is desperately trying mentally to get his attention, ‘Me, me Baekhyun, look at me!”, obviously to no avail. His frequent, unnoticed glances are sometimes hurt puppy eyes and some other times lethal; because he is not the only one with eyes in the room. There are many hyenas of both genders, eyeing Baekhyun’s nice frame and his sultry hips, circling around him and distracting him with polite smiles and charming talk. Chanyeol wants to claw their eyes out and then strangle them for daring to think about Baekhyun like that.

“Hey, everyone, listen! How about we make this party a bit more fun? Drinking games!” Tiffany exclaims and everyone else cheers. Chanyeol is not paying much attention at first, watching how Baekhyun cutely blinks questioningly at everyone’s enthusiastic reaction. So cute~ But then he realizes: Baekhyun doesn’t drink. Sunflowers.

He scampers away from the bar hurriedly, trying to reach Baekhyun first of everyone else. Unfortunately, there were many people around Baekhyun before and now most of them, boys and girls, are clinging and pulling at a very confused Baekhyun, trying to convince him to be their partner. Baekhyun is only smiling politely, not sure of what they are asking.

Here is the gist of their teenage drinking games: they play in pairs, the penalty for whatever game is a drink, but only one of the two partners drinks –usually the taller or the shorter of the two, depending on what they decide every time –and the other is responsible for managing their partner during the game and taking them home safely after that. Having Baekhyun manage them and then take them home, or having to manage Baekhyun and then take him home, is a great catch for everyone; that’s why they are all pleading at poor Baekhyun, who looks more stressed with every new request.

Chanyeol keeps his eyes set on Baekhyun, walking to him as fast as he can with resolve. No one else is partnering up with his guy; Chanyeol has already spared them Baekhyun’s company for longer than they deserve and now he is claiming him back, and that’s that, deal with it. Some girls tug on Chanyeol’s sleeves, slowing him down, asking to be his partner, but Chanyeol shakes their hold in a not-so-polite way, not even glancing at them or caring to answer their requests. When he reaches Baekhyun’s back, a few people who are in the way step aside, intimidated by Chanyeol’s tall body. He grabs Baekhyun’s shoulders and pulls him closer, colliding Baekhyun’s back with his chest. Baekhyun looks around, more confused than ever and slightly scared, but Chanyeol simply holds him in place.

“Baekhyun is my partner!” he says cheerfully in his booming, deep voice, smiling at the people who are still trying to get a hold on Baekhyun. Maybe it’s just Chanyeol’s imagination, but he feels as if Baekhyun pressed up against him even more just now at the sound of his voice; he must be so scared of the sudden attack from people who were friendly and smiling just a moment ago, and he is searching someone safe to lean on. Baekhyun thinks Chanyeol is safe; that is a nice thought in Chanyeol’s head…

Some of the people leave immediately, blending in with the rest of the chattering room in search of a partner, but some others are unnervingly persistent. They give Chanyeol weird looks or irritated and indignant grimaces; and Chanyeol even smiled, trying to be polite…

“Come on, Chanyeol! We asked him first!” Sandeul complains with a smile, in an attempt to hide his true colors from Baekhyun and intimidate Chanyeol. As if Chanyeol would be ever swayed by someone like Sandeul…A few others around agree with him.

“And Baekhyun has the right to choose, right?” Victoria adds further, gaining a deathly glare from Chanyeol. The hums of agreement are a bit more timid this time, seeing Chanyeol’s determination.

Chanyeol has had enough of these people and the possessive fire flickers in his chest. He lets Baekhyun’s shoulders free and circles his arms securely around his throat, pulling him closer –making sure he is not chocking him, of course– and resting his chin on Baekhyun’s shoulder. He has a really strong urge to nuzzle his nose on the side of Baekhyun’s neck but this is neither the time nor the place, even though Baekhyun smells deliciously sweet. Baekhyun goes rigid in his arms from the sudden proximity. Please, Baek, hang on for a while longer and then all these people will go away, I promise.

“Well, this Baekhyun is mine; go find your own” he announces stubbornly. He is trying to put a childish touch to his stance, so that they will not suspect anything weird. Because claiming a person yours is not very common and normal, whereas the Park Chanyeol sticking stubbornly and imperatively to what he wants until he gets it, like a spoiled child, used to be something common, when Chanyeol used to be a brat.

“Are you serious?” Victoria asks irritated, scrunching her eyebrows. Chanyeol puts on a serious poker face.

“Yes, I am very serious” he says in a final tone. These people recognize this side of Chanyeol; the self-centered, stubborn and ruthless kid, whose word is the law, much to the other’s displeasure, and he doesn’t even care about what they think. With soft murmurs of irritation, they all let go of Baekhyun indignantly, shooting Chanyeol begrudging glances. Like he said though, he doesn’t care what they think.

When they are all safely a bit further away from Baekhyun and their presence is no longer giving Chanyeol the irritating headache of his life, Chanyeol lets go of Baekhyun and walks around to face him. Baekhyun blinks up at him dazedly in silence –he is probably still horror struck. Chanyeol tries to lighten the mood, putting a smile on his lips.

“Okay! Now that everyone is gone, are you feeling any better?” he asks but Baekhyun doesn’t answer immediately. Chanyeol waits a bit longer, giving Baekhyun some space to adjust and time to process the last few scary moments of his life, when billionaire piranhas decided to chase after him all of a sudden. But Baekhyun looks completely petrified; almost literally so.

“Hey, Baekhyun? Are you there?” Chanyeol waves his hand in front of Baekhyun’s face but Baekhyun only keeps blinking and staring at him, with round puppy eyes, and this situation feels slightly familiar…“Hey, Baek, don’t give up on me now. Are you breathing?” Chanyeol asks concerned, dropping the smile, but Baekhyun still doesn’t respond. As cute as Baekhyun looks, shocked and frozen like that, with his small lips plum and numb, and his eyes round and twinkling, Chanyeol is deeply concerned. So he does the only thing that comes to mind. “Baekkie, can you even hear me?” he asks with a cute smile and pokes Baekhyun’s soft cheek with his finger; Chanyeol’s cousin does that to him when he spaces out, so of course it’s childish, but it might work.

On a side note, he cannot believe he is touching Baekhyun’s face, oh god, but it is not the time to fanboy right now. Baekhyun jolts suddenly, coming back to the world of the living.

“Chanyeol, I-I’m sorry, so sorry…I, I didn’t…I, um…I was…erm” Baekhyun stutters cutely, cupping his cheeks with his hands to hide a soft blush and blinking furiously, looking at the ground and everywhere around him.

“You were in shock” Chanyeol offers with a small smile, so casually, even though his brain squealing about Baekhyun being so cute!

“Ah, yeah…what was all that about?” Baekhyun focuses on the crowd behind them, who are starting to form pairs.

“It’s a drinking game and we all need a partner” Chanyeol explains the game and the rules, as well as the reason of the sudden frenzy around Baekhyun “But, if you don’t want to play, I seriously don’t mind” he concludes and Baekhyun’s eyes finally turn away from the crowd and focus on him, making his heart stumble a bit. “I have played many times with these idiots and it’s not even that much fun” he shrugs his shoulders nonchalantly. Baekhyun surprises him with a smile.

“After the brave fight you put up for me? No, it’s okay, we can play. It might be fun” he says in a cheerful, sweet voice. Chanyeol feels his heart melt a little; Baekhyun is willing to go through this for him.

“Hey, guys, short ones drink!” Jonghyun announces, receiving mixed responses. When a particularly loud ‘why?’ is heard, Jonghyun motions everyone to quiet down. “Last time it was the tall ones, so it’s only fair!” he explains. Well, he has a point, so everyone in the crowd might keep their disappointed faces but they don’t protest any further. Chanyeol turns to Baekhyun with a look of concern.

“Baekhyun, honestly, I know you don’t drink, so, if you want us to leave the game, or even leave the party, then just-”

“Chanyeol” Baekhyun stops him with a soft, kind smile on his lips “We will join your friends in this game and we will play for as long as I can keep up with them. Just take good care of me, okay?”

Chanyeol nods reluctantly. If Baekhyun wants to play, then that’s okay. Chanyeol will be there, watching over Baekhyun. He will try to make sure that Baekhyun doesn’t have to drink much and he will stop their participation the moment he sees Baekhyun starting to show signs of weakness due to the alcohol. He won’t betray Baekhyun’s trust. He will keep him safe and then return him home safely as well.

Because Baekhyun is Chanyeol’s partner and he is responsible for him. And because Baekhyun is precious to Chanyeol. He is also so sweet that he agreed to play this foolish game just to fit in with Chanyeol’s friends, for Chanyeol’s sake, trusting Chanyeol more than the latter would ever dare to ask for.

--

“Happy birthday man! Still looking good for an old fellow” Woohyun gives him a real smile and bumps shoulders with Kai playfully. Kai shoves him slightly with his free hand, as both men walk in the midst of other people towards the grand table where they are going to play.

“Says the man who’s in truth older than me” he snickers as Woohyun’s eyes grow wide and search the unaware faces of the people in vicinity to make sure no one heard; age is a sensitive topic for him, god knows why, since he’s still young and gorgeous, and it looks like he will continue being a stunningly handsome man for many years forth, until that lucky gene pool starts aging well…Well, that doesn’t stop Kai from making teasing comments on it; that’s what friends are for, right?

“Tsk, you ungrateful brat, show some respect, will you?” Woohyun nods his nose animatedly and fixes his expensive grey jacket, smoothing his hands over the lapels and buttons with finesse. That just now looked so mature. Is Kai going to become like that too? Sungkyu makes a face at him from the distance when their gazes meet randomly and Kai sticks his tongue out in retaliation. Well, that goes to answer his former question…

“Aye, aye, you still look good too” Kai amends and Woohyun smiles again, his eyes reducing to charming lines. Without looking away from his conversation partner, Kai reflexively pulls Kyungsoo closer, sensing too many people flocking to one direction, raising the chances of a mindless somebody accidentally stepping on his little Soo. “Wow, is that a wrinkle?” he squints his eyes pretending to examine closely the now horror-struck face of Woohyun.

And if you thought there was truce earlier, the temptation was too much and the opportunity too good, and that’s all Kai has to say for himself.

“If it weren’t for this fine gentleman you’re clinging to, you would have probably been shoved by now” Woohyun stirs the conversation away from topics that Kai can exploit to make fun of him and he smiles at Kyungsoo, who takes his owl eyes away from the crowd around them and directs them at Woohyun. “Please, don’t listen to this idiot; I’m still in my early twenties” he reassures playfully and Kyungsoo cracks a kind, heart shaped smile. Kai scoffs, feeling a small pang of jealousy; Kyungsoo never gives him his smiles as easily.

“I wouldn’t have thought you a day older than that” Kyungsoo answers with a dazzling smile and, oh my god, is he flirting?! Kai makes a huge effort to keep his jaw in place and his feet moving, aware that, if he freezes now with so many people around, it will create a scene.

The two men introduce themselves, ignoring Kai, who is still a bit stunned –or a lot, actually. He’s like a walking zombie who stares at an innocent enough Kyungsoo as if he has two heads and orange skin with purple dots and yellow stripes. The amount of smiles, giggles and compliments between the two men –who ignore Kai completely, never mind he is standing right in between them and is currently coping with jealousy issues over flirting with third parties and him being ignored– is entirely normal. Because this is civil, friendly conversation, between two young men, who meet for the first time in a setting where flattery and charisma are expected, if not required. But it is just enough for Kai to confirm, to his great horrification, that, holy freaking sunflowers, Kyungsoo is flirting!

Truthfully, the problem is not that he is flirting; it is that he is flirting with someone else, other than you. He never flirts with you, he always bickers and bites back.

Well, thank you for your kind observation, brain, but you’re not really helping anyone here!

What green monsters, we are past that stage, way, waaayyy past it, like, if Woohyun hadn’t been a lifelong friend to Kai, he wouldn’t be breathing air anymore, he wouldn’t even have lungs to fill with air, and his eyes would never reopen in this dimension, there wouldn’t even be particle traces of his existence on earth left. Kai instinctively holds Kyungsoo even tighter, pressing him against his side and nearly squeezing him unconscious. He pretends he can’t hear the surprised yelp of the smaller man, nor feel his struggles to regain his breathing privilege.

He knows this jealousy thing is not his style and he also knows it is completely unreasonable, because Woohyun ‘plays for the other team’ and Kyungsoo might be feisty sometimes but he’s mostly a scaredy-cat so he wouldn’t dare flirt with someone else when Kai is right there. At least, so Kai thinks, the theory has never been put to the test –neither do we want to test it, thank you. But, in that moment, it strikes Kai like lightning during a midsummer’s day, that he has no rights over Kyungsoo. There is nothing to show the world that Kyungsoo is actually his and others had better Not Touch.

Because, in spite of all the times they’ve been with each other, all the things they’ve done and shared, all those amazing bedroom moments and all those other comfortable and sweet moments, those are all private moments, and it’s not like they’re official, they might not even be mutually exclusive –although, Kai is a firm believer that you should honor the person in your bed by not polluting it with others, for as long as your exchanges last –and how could they be, I mean, Kyungsoo would definitely freak out at the prospect and wow, Kai is slightly freaking out too, because who knew he would have even wanted something steady like that, but, sunflowers, he thinks he does, and-

Okay, stop. You sound as chaotic as Chanyeol. Kai huffs and makes his life easier. Meaning, he overrides all the warning codes in his brain.

“This is Kyungsoo” Kai makes a belated and unnecessary introduction in a stern, decisive voice, giving Woohyun a pointed glare “My Kyungsoo.” At least, for now, he is. ‘Now’ is one of the things that matter most to Kai. “Mine. Entirely, undoubtedly, completely mine” he takes the extra step to hug Kyungsoo with both hands, ignoring the way the mass of people around them stares. Let them see. Let them know who Kyungsoo belongs to. At least, currently –and preferably, in the future too. No, Kim Jongin your brain did not just think that.

“Oh boy” Kyungsoo grumbles and facepalms, hiding as much as he can from the public’s eyes, and Woohyun giggles, casually waving off Kai’s silliness. Baekhyun and Chanyeol give him two almost adorably identical ‘what the flowers are you doing?’ looks of confusion from across the table. Because, Kai realizes very late, they have reached the table now and literally everyone is gathered around and have forgotten about the game momentarily to stare at Kai, who is still possessively asphyxiating Kyungsoo.

Looks like he just made them kinda official. Oops.

--

They are a good team. They have managed to survive many rounds, but there are so many people in the game that the elimination process is rather slow. They have survived to a decent degree though. Baekhyun looks like he is enjoying it too, laughing with the others and joking and cheering when he gets a right answer. Many other players cheer for Baekhyun too, and Baekhyun cheers back for them. Baekhyun is innocent above petty rivalry and everyone seems to join his mindset little by little, making the game so much more enjoyable for everyone.

Chanyeol watches quietly, sitting behind Baekhyun. He speaks only when he has to ask a player a question from the cards and for the rest of the game he observes their opponents, smiling faintly and feeling comfortable near Baekhyun. When they get an answer right, Baekhyun always turns around to smile at him and Chanyeol smiles back widely, encouraging him. When they get an answer wrong, Chanyeol always asks Baekhyun if he feels alright, immediately after he finishes the designated drinking punishment.

When Chanyeol is not too busy focusing on Baekhyun, he glances at Kai and Kyungsoo, who, as a team, are sitting close to each other, leaning on each other, and Chanyeol wonders if he will ever be sure enough of himself to do that with Baekhyun. He is not shy in front of his friends; he doesn’t care about what they or the world might think and, as far as he cares, he wants the whole world to see him with someone as perfect as Baekhyun. But he wants to be more sure of himself, he doesn’t want to just do it, lean on Baekhyun and link their hands under the table and kiss his hair like Kai kisses Kyungsoo’s neck every now and then, thinking that no one is watching; he wants to do it and mean something.

The whole game must be a bit too loud and annoying for the customers on the other side of the roof, with all the cheers and shouts and loud laughter, but the unspoken law of the rich says that whoever pays more is right and, in this particular case, they pay more in the private area, so no one complains. Most girls are the shorter half of their team and their loud, bubbling laughter echoes on the roof –but none of it sounds as nice as Baekhyun’s singing laughter.

After the third glass of alcohol, Chanyeol leans forward again to check on Baekhyun. Even Chanyeol would have started to feel a bit off after three full glasses like that.

“Are you okay?” he asks in a soft, low voice, so that he will not disrupt the ongoing game. He expected Baekhyun to nod again, like the other times, with a small, reassuring smile on his lips. But Baekhyun looks at him in the eyes slightly thoughtful, with a steady gaze for a moment, and Chanyeol doesn’t wait any moment longer. This is hesitation; Baekhyun is not okay.

“Guys, we’re pulling out” he announces and Baekhyun remains silent at his decision. Everyone on the table lets out mild protests of disappointment.

“Why? You’re such a good team!” Seohyun exclaims, pouting cutely. Chanyeol smiles politely to appease the crowd.

“Baekhyun is not feeling very well” he explains in a soft voice.

“I didn’t hear him complain! He looks just fine to me!” Sungkyu protests from across the table and some agree. Well, of course Baekhyun would never complain; he would continue to take it chivalrously until he could no more. Why does Sungkyu care anyway? If Baekhyun is out, there are more chances for his team to win. Not to mention that Chanyeol is the one managing Baekhyun and no one else, so what any other thinks simply doesn’t matter.

“No, it’s true! Baekhyun doesn’t drink” Kyungsoo comes to the rescue. Some chant ‘so cute’ around the table, others look surprised and some simply accept the fact that Baekhyun has to go.

“Since when do you care about your partner and not just winning?” Victoria jabs from across the table, eliciting some knowing smirks from some people there. Chanyeol rolls his eyes at her; ugh, vengeful vipers. “Do you remember that time when he was playing with Tiffany? He was so set on winning that poor Tiffany had to pass out, completely drunk, before he pulled out! You are not known to be the most considerate partner, quite the contrary, Chanyeol” She smiles, pleased with herself. Chanyeol shoots her an angry glare. Well, he has not always been a good person, remember? He is not very proud of some things he has done while thinking only about himself, but he accepts them nonetheless because he grew a better man after them; but still, he would rather Baekhyun didn’t have to hear those things.

“Okay then, Chanyeol, please take Baekhyun home safely!” Kai dismisses them, grinning brightly to save the day. Chanyeol was not planning to answer Victoria anyway, so he gets up from his chair calmly. If you are out of the game, you can choose to stay and watch, but that will probably only cause Baekhyun a headache, so it’s better if Chanyeol takes him home; you’re always allowed to go home if you are not feeling well, like Chanyeol claimed for Baekhyun.

They greet everyone and wish Kai happy birthday once again. Just as Chanyeol is about to leave, wearing his coat already, Eunji approaches him and kisses him on the cheek, slipping something into his coat pocket; Chanyeol realized her hand in his pocket only because he jolted away from the sudden proximity.

“Will you come back later?” she asks angelically, despite the obvious indecent proposal. Chanyeol smirks –as if he would ever take such an offer, especially now, when he has Baekhyun to take home…

“No. Baekhyun lives a bit far and it’s already late. Nice seeing you tonight; bye” he refuses indifferently and takes Baekhyun out of the private area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a/n. Part one of fluff bombs, I hope you enjoyed it! There’ll be more on the next chapter –yes, that is possible–, continuing this night and maybe a bit of the morning after? You’ll see kkk~ I am sorry if the guest stars of various bands seemed like not-so-nice people, but I assure you, I have nothing against them and I included them randomly. If anything, the fact that I remember their names means I like them.

Can we please take a moment to appreciate Kyungsoo, Kai and Chanyeol being possessive and jealous cuties? The natural urge to “own” someone (have a deep, meaningful bond with them and wanting to protect them) is partly why our species is still alive, if you think about it. Jealousy is a way to express yourself in a relationship too, and as long as it is not compulsive or passive-aggressive, it can help communication and resolve issues between partners.

Next time, there’ll be revelations about Baekhyun & the koala pattern, sweet sides of Chanyeol, a zing moment for Kaisoo and a bit of hunhan (because we haven’t seen them in a while) Subscribe, upvote, squeal, fangirl/fanboy and share the happiness! Thank you for reading & you can be sure there is at least one person in the world who loves you all! (that's me) Happy Spring! kitty~