Chapter: IX

Football ± Theatre ± LAN = Us

 

Crisp laughter can be heard from the meeting room. It was another day for theater rehearsal but the crew agreed to just talk about the production first before doing another stage rehearsal. The crews had fill in the room but the happy aura wasn't radiated from them. The only excitement radiated was only from the two crew.

The Romeo and the Juliet.

"Okay okay wait, this one is good" Hyuk said as he scans his script "Then I'll be Romeo no more"

"Who are you then?" Kiky read the next line with her so called Juliet tone.

"By name, I don't know what to tell you, but- Naah I can't imagine doing this scene with you" Hyuk cracked in laughter "Heck, I can't imagine doing any of these scenes with you! I'll roll on the floor from laughter instead of being all sweet and romantic like Romeo"

Kiky chuckled, "Pft, you can't act from the first place, so"

"See? There you go again with your sarcasm!"

"What, I was just saying the truth!"

"What's going on?" Ying asked as she came. Her eyebrows were knitted all together and puzzled look was obvious on her expression.

"What?" Kiky and Hyuk said in sync.

"That what" Ying questioned "Why're the two of you so close like this? I mean, last rehearsal the two of you were the hardest to work with"

"Oh, we settled down already" Hyuk said, casually placing his arm over Kiky's shoulder "Now we can work perfectly fine, can't we Kiky?"

"Not quite, but well, we can work just fine for now" she said, pushing Hyuk's arm away.

"Okay.." Ying said, looking really suspicious at the two. Hyuk is a friendly guy like he can be friend with anyone he wants but he's such a dork whenever it comes to gaming, yet Kiky's such a sarcastic girl eventhough she's actually a warm hearted girl. Then how can they be friends so close like this? They still act like Tom and Jerry the other day. But whatever, Ying thought. The rehearsal must go on. No time shall be wasted cause it's a full production and they wouldn't get any extended time, so it really was a tight scheduled performance "Is everyone here already?"

No one spoke up in sign if someone was missing. Looking around, Ying then nodded to herself and started the briefing. These past two days of rehearsal had been trusted fully from Mr. Namgung and Mrs. Moon to Ying as the stage director. She might be one of the sophomores, but she's one of the most organized and discipline student of all, so no wonder the teachers appointed her.

About half an hour passed already and the rehearsal went quite smoothly. The actors, stage crew, music crew and understudies seem to be working with each other quite well. It was a real clear targetted objectives meeting but laughter and jokes are still placed in between so no member was feeling really bothered with it. Maybe it's one of the perks to have a student as your chief, no matter how strict and decipline she is, she's still a student and she can still have some mercy on her friends' work load. But the meeting seem to about to bump into some bumpy road, just when everything seem so smooth.

"Okay, so I can see the properties are well prepared already. We'd only need the costume later which's gonna be fitted about a month from now" Ying said, making notes on her papers "How about lights? I haven't heard a thing from the light crew"

The people responsible so for the light crew could only throw glances at each other "Um, we're working on it" a boy named Dongjin finally spoke up "I mean, we've done our parts as what you emailed us, noona. But we don't know if it's ready yet cause it's Mingming hyung's job to put all the scenes together and make the sequences and also the timing, so.."

Ying sighed, "Where's your light manager, then? Where's Mingming?"

The light people remained quiet. They look at each other before looking down at their feet. To tell you the truth, the lighting manager, Yao Mingming, was not in present since the beginning of the rehearsal. The lighting people didn't realize that he wasn't there, or at least they thought he'll come anytime soon cause he's often late. But even until now, he still hasn't showed up. The lighting people wanted to tell Ying that their leader wasn't there, but come on, who would have the gut to tell her that? She'll fume in anger if she knows, right?

"Where's Mingming?" Ying asked again "Why didn't anyone say anything when I asked if someone was missing?"

No one made a sound.

Ying sighed, "If no one cares about their own-"

"Sorry I'm late" someone said as he entered the meeting room. He quickly stands behind the rest of the crews who're now staring at him. His facial expression and body language shows no guilt of being late nor fear to be scolded because of it. He looks just as relax as ever.

Has this guy lost his mind or what?

"Mingming-ssi," Ying breathed "Where have you been?"

"I had something to do" he shrugged simply. He then turn into one of his lighting crew, "What did I miss?"

The lighting crew reminds quiet. More like everyone reminds quiet. They know exactly that Ying's gonna explode at Mingming for being late and act like it's no big deal, yet the person in crime still acts like nothing was wrong.

"Mingming-ssi," Ying hissed "I am seriously questioning your commitment for this production. Are you really going to work with your crew or half way so or even not at all, cause you're not showing the right amount of effort right until this point"

Mingming scoffed, "Why do you always act like your the big boss here? You're just the stage director, Yingying"

"Yes, but Mrs. Moon and Mr. Namgung had given me permission and privilege to give them names of people who're not working as hard as they should, and Mingming-ssi, you're seriously on my warning list"

"Tell them whatever you want, I don't really mind" he shrugged "I've told Mrs. Moon and Mr. Namgung anyway that I would be late for my rehearsals and if this productions ever disturb my personal problems, I'll resign my name from the list. So, Miss Liao YingYing, if you want to tell them to kick me out of the production, you are welcome to do so"

Yingying breathed her anger in. She's getting tired of Mingming, 101% sure on that. But seeing how easy and shrug off he is when she threatened to kick him out, she knows that he'll be even more pleased to be out of the production. And surely, she doesn't want that. Enough game this Mingming guy is doing.

"Ying, calm down" Kiky said as she sense the tension to heat up. Even Hyuk who was goofing around stopped his jokes and just remind silent.

"I'm not gonna kick you out cause that'll be like giving you your own freedom" Ying said, glaring at Mingming. The boy only stare at her blankly like he didn't expect Ying to interperate his words that way. He looks completely blank. Like his soul was wondering around somewhere else or maybe thinking about Ying's words. No one knows but him. But taking more than enough of a Mingming for a day Ying then closed her folders and let out a big sigh "Rehearsal today's finished. We'll continue next week"

"But we're not even fi-"

"We finish today's meeting today" Ying glared and cut Hyuk's words "We can continue next week for whatever's left. And I suppose whatever isn't finish yet shall be done by next week, righ Mingming-ssi?"

Mingming nodded with a goofy grin, "Damn right"

The crew then one by one leaving the room, including Kiky and Hyuk. Somehow they created the bond to be the production's joker or something cause the two seem to always have something to laugh at. But in this situation, it doesn't help that much.

Only two people were left on the room, the stage director, and the lighting manager. Ying was tidying her folders in annoyance that it actually mess the whole arrangement, but who cares?! The only thing she cares about now is to leave that room ASAP.

The lighting manager? He's just standing and stare at Ying, amused at how pissed off she is yet she still doesn't show that much of anger towards him. Compare to what she's capable of, Mingming sure that this was nothing.

"Hey, I'm sorry" Mingming said "For being late"

"Your mistake wasn't just for being late, Mingming-ssi. And even by only that one mistake, you're making the whole crew to waste their time for today"

"Yeah, but I wasn't the one giving them pass to leave early now, was I?"

Ying sighed, "They leave early because they know they earn it. If I were you, I would be ashamed for causing such trouble to the whole crew. The lighting crew at most. And if you still have common sense in your head, you'll stay and do whatever work you're not done with. Dongjin told me, the whole crew had done their job. It's only your work left to arrange all the little pieces, so"

Mingming remained quiet.

"I'll leave now" Ying announced "You must be a very talented or at least, you know how to work with the lighting best for Mr. Namgung and Mrs. Moon to pick you cause they never play around for the annual performance's crew. But to see how layed off you are right now, Mingming-ssi, it'll be such pity if in the end you really are gonna be replaced by someone else"

Ying left, making the room to become quiet. The goofiness on Mingming's expression changes into a blank one. What Ying said were all right, but he has his own reasons to become late and look all laid off like this.

If only he wasn't such a closed person, things would've been easier.

***

Most of the lights on the High School buildings were already off. It was 8:45 pm. Only a few students and teachers were still there. Either they had late art performance or late clubs. And this involves Ying.

She'd just finish her math lesion with her tutor. She might be a discipline, organized, and all scheduled person, but one thing she always lack and would forever will at, probably, math. Compare to her other scores, math is the most lacking one and it eventually affect her whole semester grade. So no matter how busy she is with her clubs, on few nights scheduled, she needs to stay at school till night for her extra lesson.

As she walks on the hallway, Ying noticed that the lights from the theater room was still on and the door was partially opened. She stopped her track and walk to the room. She remembered well that no one entered the room cause today's rehearsal was done on the meeting room, not the theater room. Besides, Mr. Namgung and Mrs. Moon were also out for a teacher meeting outside the school. So whom might it be?

"Hello?" Ying called as she stepped in. The main lights were off but the stage lighting were on. Different colors and different type of blink were shining the stage "Hello? Is anyone-"

Ying stopped her words. She look up at the small room upstairs where the technical equipments were placed and raised an eyebrow. Someone was sleeping there. His face was buried under his arms so she can't recall whom it was. But one thing made her sure who he is it. It was the snapback placed right next to him. The snapback only one person in this whole school wears.

Mingming's snapback.

She walks closer to him, coming up the stairs and try to make no noise. The boy looks really tired and looking from how mess up the lighting equipment was, she can tell that he was working with it. A small smirk appeared on her face. He actually has responsibility to his works, huh?

Then a new question appears. Shall she wake him up? But if he awakes, wouldn't the atmosphere turn awkward later? So should she just leave him like that? But it's already late, the guards are gonna lock the gate soon. So what shall she do?

Aish, you're such a pain, Yao Mingming.

Getting an idea, Ying then escaped the room quietly and hide on the next class. She take out her phone, scrolling her contacts and hesitated for a moment before sliding her screen for a phone call. Once the number was dialed, she waited for the other person to pick up and she could swear to every math exams she failed at, from every beep as she awaits, her heart beat escalated.

"Yeah?" The person picks up.

"O-Oh, um, Mingming-ssi" Ying answered, startled as he actually picks up "I was just calling to um.. Make sure about the lighting? Yeah. I mean, has your crew send you their works already? Dongjin told me that they have, but if they haven't then I can just call them now to send it to you"

Mingming yawned, "Yeah they have. No need to tell them to do more works or anything. It's enough pain you caused for them"

"Y-Yah, I didn't cause any pain, I was just giving them works they need to do!"

"Work is a softer way to say pain, Liao Yingying" He said sleepily "You know what, you're disturbing my sleep. If you need anything, just call me tomorrow morning or just come right to me at school. Don't make me do school works outside school. My working hours there is more than enough already"

What, are you gonna continue to sleep there? In the theatre class? Pft, stupid Mingming, Ying thought "Oh well, okay then. Sorry to disturb your sleep" Ying said, hiding her laughter from the last words "And no, I don't need anything for now. Thanks, Mingming-ssi"

"Yeah no prob" He answered "And don't call me 'Mingming-ssi', I feel like an ahjussi"

Ying chuckled and hang up. For once, eventhough he still sounds very sarcastic and annoying, the two of them didn't get into a fight. Maybe it's because she knows that he was working so she didn't nag too much? I don't know. Or even maybe, she realizes that there's more of this Mingming guy for her to know about?

As she thinks of the possibilities, a sound from the theatre room can be heard from the class Ying was hiding at. She peeked from the windows and saw Mingming locking the doors as he made his way out. He was dressed as usual, but this time no blazer to cover his so called rated M shirt ' Off'. God knows how many shirts he has that's printed in that word or simply he just never changes his shirt.

Maybe there really is something more to know about you, Mingming.