Chapter: V

Football ± Theatre ± LAN = Us

 

Quick note, Happy Birthday for Seungcheol appa! You're damn old this year lol hurry debut 주세용~ Wishing you all the best + God bless! 승철이 화이팅! 

By the way, Ying and Mingming will appear next chapter, so look forward for it!

 

-dee

 


 

"Mrs. Moon, did you call me?" Kiky asked as she poked her head in the drama studio. 

The room was quite dim. The only light coming was from the stage and it's only one spotlight. Someone seem to be working on the stage lighting cause the color and the style of the light keeps on changing. Some noises can also be heard from behind the stage, meaning that there're some people working behind.

"Ah, yes Kiky, come in" Mrs. Moon greeted. She showed her genuine smile, as usual. But she was also holding a folder with Kiky's name on top of it. Kiky immediately know that she's in trouble. Her theatre grade must be failing or at least, her grade was dropping from before. She admit, she kinda feel that her performance these days weren't as good as how it used to be, but what can she do? The stress from her other subjects are already overwhelming. 

As Kiky stepped in, she noticed that there was also another boy sitting on the audience's seats. He was from another class, cause his teacher was also talking to him. Probably because he was struggling with his grade, but who knows?

"Kiky, what happened?" Mrs. Moon started her words "You grade is constantly dropping for this semester. You were all great last year. Your performance, your reports, your assessments, everything. But why're you dropping now, when you're suppose to be improving? This is your second year for theatre class and dropping grade for a higher level students like you is very unacceptable"

"I'm sorry, Mrs. Moon. I have quite problems to face lately and school just got too overwhelming for me" Kiky admit "I'm not saying that I'm placing this class aside compare to the others, but I guess my acting performance degraded down that influence my grade the most"

"True.. So then, would you agree to do extra work for my class to get extra credit, Kiky?" Mrs. Moon asked "We're gonna do the annual drama performance, and I would personally purpose you to take the main character role. I will give you extra credit based on your performance later. I cannot promise if your grade's going to be as good as how it used to be,  but I will still give you extra points from this. So, do you agree to work for this performance?"

Kiky bite her lower lip. Shall she take this offer? She's quite done with her works, so this performance shouldn't be a big problem for her, right? It's not her first time taking the lead role, anyway. So shall she take it?

"What's the drama about, Mrs. Moon?"

Mrs. Moon smiled, "It's a Shakespeare's work. I know you love his works the most, that's why I'm offering you this role. You can be any role you want, but I think the main female role would suit you best. It'll gives the most extra credit, too"

"Oh, well.. I still have several proposals to redo," Kiky remind herself "but I think I can participate in this performance."

"Yes? Oh, thank you Kiky! You're just perfect for the lead female character" Mrs. Moon said before heading to the other teacher that was talking to his student.

"Mr. Namgung, we have ourself the main female actor"

"Ah yes," Mr. Namgung said before turning back to his student "so are in too, or not?"

The boy let out an audible sigh. Quite loud cause Kiky who was standing a few feet away from him can still hear it clearly, "Fine"

"Great!" Mr. Namgung clapped "We can start our rehearsal soon now. I'll send the two of you the script tonight, but don't worry. You guys will have the hard print too by tomorrow. Just read through the script, find your soul in the story, and we'll break the stage just fine"

"Sanghyuk, are you not going to greet your partner?" Mrs. Moon said to the still sitting down boy. Her smile was still in presence yet sarcasm was define and hold on her tone. Kiky was quite surprise to see her one of the most favorite teacher to ever show such tone. This boy must be quite a pain for turning such nice teacher into a sarcastic one.

"Hi, I'm- You!" The boy shouted as he stood up from his seat.

"You! What're you doing here?!" Kiky yelled back in disbelief. This Sanghyuk guy's the guy that messed up the computer lab the other day! But wait, he's the guy she's gonna have to act with for the performance?! 

"I'm not doing the drama with you!" Sanghyuk shouted.

"Yah, don't flutter yourself. I wouldn't want to agree for this performance too if I knew it was you that I'm going to act with!" Kiky snorted "Mrs. Moon, I'm very sorry but I cannot work with this boy. I'm fine with any role, any story, as long as he's not in the same production as I am"

The boy rolled his eyes, "Yah, stop being such an all important missy, the performance needs me most, not you"

"Yeah, right. You haven't even participated in such important productions I bet" Kiky scoffed.

"Both of you, stop it!" Mr. Namgung cut in range "The production needs both of you, not only Kiky nor only Sanghyuk. We need you both. And remember, the two of you also need this performance for your semester grade. We can search for other actors, if you walk out. They might wouldn't act as good as the two of you, but it'll do. Remember, it's you two that needs the credit the most, not us"

The two then lowered their heads in embarrassment. The ego for not working with each other only after a ridiculous matter made them held their heads too high to think that it's the production to need them, not the contrary. It's the two that needs the credit. Not Mr. Namgung, not Mrs. Moon, not the school, but them.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Namgung, Mrs. Moon. We didn't mean to sound arrogant or anything" Kiky apologized "And yes, the both of us will work together for this production"

"Yah, what're you- Oof!" Sanghyuk stopped his words as Kiky elbowed him.

"We'll do our best to make this performance as best as you expect" Kiky said again.

"Good," Mr. Namgung smiled satisfied "The rehearsal would start soon. The schedules will be sent to your emails when it's ready"

The two then nodded in acknowledge. They were about to leave, until Sanghyuk turned his head again and asked the most important question yet forgotten all along, "Mr. Namgung, what kind of performance are we exactly performing?"

Mr. Namgung smirked, "Romeo and Juliet"

"What?!"

***

"Where have you been?" Seungcheol asked. He was lying on the bed lazily when Kiky stepped in. She looked tired. Messed up, to be in fact. Her blazer was somewhere no one knows and her hair was tied in a messy hair bun that it barely tie any of her hair strands.

Kiky raised an eyebrows, "I thought the first rule was to not interfere to each other's business"

"I was just asking" Seungcheol shrugged.

"I had a late meeting for my upcoming theatre performance. So damn tired" she said as she jumped on the bed "And it was late enough that there were no more buses and cabs passing through so I need to walk for quite some distance"

"I thought you would've gone home with your friends or something" Seungcheol said, sitting up as he felt quite wave of guilt but his tone was still steady and flat "Why didn't you call me anyway? I could've pick you up"

"I did, but you didn't pick up so I thought you have late practices" Kiky answered. Her words trailing away as sleepiness start to rush into her "My friends went by themselves already and they either ride bike or with their couple. I couldn't tag along, of course"

Seungcheol quietly take his phone out. There were 4 missed calls, all from Kiky. He'd turn his phone to silent cause he wanted to have an evening off. Today's only the day that he has no practice and Jeje surprisingly had her own plans already so he has some time off. He wanted to stay free so he turned his phone to silent, but he didn't think that it'll cost Kiky quite pain.

"U-Um, yeah.. I had last practice earlier. I couldn't pick you up, sorry" he lied.

"Doesn't matter. I'm home now, so" she said, sitting up from the bed "I'm gonna take a bath. If anyone calls my phone, just tell them to call me tomorrow. I'm really tired right now, I can't deal with any other stuff"

Seungcheol nodded, understanding. Kiky does look really tired. Her eyes were getting puffy from heavy sleepiness. She wanted to just go off to dreamland, but her body was sweaty and she knows if she doesn't take her bathe now, she wouldn't get a good sleep either.

As Kiky walks away, Seungcheol then laid back on the bed. But before his back could meet the mattress, Kiky's phone vibrated. He took it and immediately raised an eyebrow. It was a text from an unknown number. Seungcheol was quick enough to take her phone and see the text only from the notification bar cause he doesn't know her password.

'Hey, Ms. Know it All, it's me Hyuk'

Who's Hyuk? Seungcheol asked. He doesn't know any of Kiky's friend, but seeing this random guy to pop out of no where, he can't help but to grow suspicion and a bit.. Jealousy?

Before Kiky came out of the bathroom to reply, another text appeared,

'I want to say sorry for being such jerk, you said. Cafe Chu, after school, my treat. I'll wait for you on the parking lot'

Seungcheol knitted his eyebrows again. Say sorry? What for? 

"Did someone call?" Kiky asked, surprising Seungcheol who was staring at her phone deeply.

"Oh um, no" he said, shifting himself to a less awkward position "But someone texted. A guy named Hyuk"

"Hyuk?" She questioned "Oh, Sanghyuk"

"I don't know, he only said Hyuk"

"Let him be then. I'm too tired to deal with him. Such pain"

Seungcheol raised an eyebrow. He pulled a pillow and place it on his lap, looking like he's really interested about this Hyuk guy and was expecting for a long exciting story from Kiky, "Why? What happened? Who's he?"

"Stop talking, I'm trying to sleep" Kiky said as she jumped on the bed, burying her face on the pillows.

"You're really that tired, huh?"

Kiky hummed.

"Sorry.."

"What for?"

"For not answering your calls"

"I told you, it doesn't matter anymore" she said between her yawns.

"It does for me" Seungcheol sighed "I promised you that I'll treat you the way you deserve to be treated, earlier this week. Yet I've broken it already"

Kiky didn't answer.

"Yah, I'm sincerely apologizing, right now"

Still no answer.

"Yah, why are you-" Seungcheol immediately stopped talking as he moved his body, facing Kiky. The barrier was not even placed on yet Kiky's already fast asleep. She's usually the one to get really fussy with the barrier division, yet she's the one who's already asleep now. She's surely tired, huh?

Seungcheol laid down, face facing the fast asleep Kiky. Her face was half buried on the pillows, half buried under her hair strands. Seungcheol tucked her hair strands away and examine her tired face. He felt terribly sorry for what he'd done. He didn't mean to ignore her or anything. He should've known better.

Before Seungcheol could compliment Kiky's sleeping figure any further, he stopped his action. He remembered exactly what the other night has given him such warn. He understand that his condition now is far more complicated than what he thought it'll be. He has two, not one, but two girls as his responsibility right now. And it's surely confusing him on what to do.

 

- flashback -

"It's really good luck that we can get a table here tonight. I forgot to reserved before the match, but well. I guess it really is our luck" Seungcheol said as he closely pulled Jeje around her waist.

The two of them had just arrive at their favorite restaurant. It was such a fancy place for high schooler like them, but hey, the two of them are children of wealthy family anyway. They're really used on going to that place when normal people would only come only once a month at most. And because of how often then come, they don't even care that they're only dressed in casual outfit while others dress really nicely.

"Well it shall really be our luck, cause we really need some time together now" Jeje said. She smiled and thanked Seungcheol who just pulled her a chair. The two looked like real classy couple and boy, how good they look together.

The two then ordered their meals. The wait for the food to come feels like mere seconds cause the two were having real quality talk. They're trying to regain the moments they've lost and that night was surely the right time.

"How's your marriage?" Jeje asked as she placed a piece of steak cut inside . She doesn't mean to sound rude or anything, but someone the words come out in a sarcastic way "Have the two of you start to get used to each other?"

Seungcheol swallowed his food, "Yeah, kinda. Kiky nags a lot. And I mean, a lot. I've always remember her as a fussy girl back in our childhood but I didn't expect her to be this fussy! She orders around, complains around, nags around. God, sometimes I wish I can just shut with my dirty socks. Her nags are kinda useful though. I'm getting used to take breakfast before school, spend some more time with my parents and Hansol, and also take care of myself better. Having her as a wife doesn't seem like as bad as I thought"

Jeje smiles bitterly. The twinkle on Seungcheol's eyes never leaves as he talks about Kiky. It aches her heart to see him this way, but he looks happy with it. And what can she do now, anyway? He's legally hers. Fully, hers.

"I see you're quite satisfied with your marriage" Jeje said with a cracking tone. She placed her cutlery down and place her hands under her chin, trying to find the most comfortable angle for her to listen to his happy words. Eventhough it silently cuts her heart "Are you happy with her?"

"Of course I am but she's- Wait, babe.. Don't think of this in the wrong way, okay?"

She shook her head with a bitter smile, "I'm not thinking of anything"

"Babe, please.." Seungcheol begged. He realized that he'd spoken too much. Not to mention wrong excitement to show "I didn't mean to look like I'm happy about this marriage or anything. I mean, I can't help it. If I could, I'd reject it. But you know I did, and it didn't work. I'm just trying to enjoy whatever I have now. Babe please, don't do this"

"I'm not doing anything" Jeje said, tears staring to form on her eyes "I just- I don't know, okay. I don't know how to react. How to act. How to understand. I just don't know what to do right now. You know I was never such girl to know no manner and be egoistic, but I can't shake the fact that you're not entirely mine anymore off of my head. It disturbs me. I'm just- I'm scared, okay"

Seungcheol stood up from his seat. He then squat down next to Jeje's chair and hugged her close, "I know.. That's what I'm facing at the moment, too"

"I'm sorry, I really am" Jeje said "I didn't mean to demand too much. I didn't mean to be rude at you wife. I didn't mean to-"

"Shh, it's okay, don't say sorry anymore" he said as he start to pat her back "Jeje, babe, listen to me," Seungcheol said before cupping her face to see him straight on the eyes "I'm married to Kiky, doesn't mean my love for you would decrease any bits. I've told you that, right? And when I say Kiky's nice, Kiky's not as bad as I thought, I didn't mean that she's in any level of my liking like how I like you, how I love you. You know I love you. Only you. And there's nothing that can change that. Not even this marriage. Not one bit"

Jeje's sobs then gradually stopped. A weak smile starts to crept on her face from Seungcheol's sweet words. He always know how to soothe her heart, even when he's actually not a good talker. He just know the right words on the right time.

"Promise?" Jeje asked.

Seungcheol smiled, "Promise"

"Then can I ask you a favor?"

"Anything"

"I'm begging you, please," Jeje started her words "Whatever the two of you gonna do, whatever's gonna happen next, please don't make her fall for you. Don't show her too much affection nor care. Don't give her hope. Don't make her fall for you. I'm begging you, please. I know you must've want to treat her well, as friends at least. But please, don't let her fall for you or vice versa. Please, I'm begging you"

Seungcheol smiled before pulling Jeje's hand and kissed it, "I promise"

- flasback ends-

 

Seungcheol bite his lower lip. He doesn't know what to do in the present time, now. Kiky needs him, but also is Jeje. These two girls are now the most important or at least, the ones that needs him and lean their shoulders on him. Basing on legal status, Kiky's surely suppose to be his ultimate priority. But seeing his real relationship status, Jeje's the one he needs to focus on.

He was never a person to talk his problem to someone, but even if for once Seungcheol wants to tell his whole stress out to someone about his problem at the moment, whom shall it be and how could the person give him any advices? The kind of situation he's facing right now isn't the type of your usual teenage love story. It's a lot more complicated than that. Then whom shall he talk to, then?

The more he thinks, the more he gets confuse and dizzy from all the demands and begs from different sources. He's holding too much responsibility and to admit, he made too much promises that it's getting overwhelming.

God, this is getting more and more complicated than what I expected..