A Dimpled Companion

An Unexpected Life(ON HOLD)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

Flashback:

 

 

"Where's your family." I was fifteen when I finally asked him that question. We strolled around the beach a lot of the time we spent together. Just us two and that's usually when I'd ask him a question about his personal life. I had met him when I was ten, and out of all those years, it seemed like I was the only one around him. I never saw anybody around him. He was indeed classified as the town grandpa and everyone knew him here, but I couldn't stand to not know the answer. I mean, I've stuck around him for some years now and if someone were to know about his family history, it should be me. ​

"Home." he simply replied. We continued to walk the beach as the sun set; the street lights were now visible.

"But, everytime I'm at your house, there is nobody there." I fiddled with my shirt sleave nervously.

"They are home. Back in Korea." his response a bit longer this time. The only thing that I had gotten out of him these past few years was that he was a widower. His wife had died back in Korea before he came to live here in Hawaii. She had passed in a car accident on the way to the airport the night they were supposed to fly here. He told me that it was just going to be them two here, and how they would start their life anew. I didn't ask anything else after what he told me, and that was the last time I had asked something about his family. I was thirteen at the time. For some reason, he never brought up his family when we talked. The only time he did was when I would ask him something. As if he would only answer the questions I gave him. He never once willingly told me about his family background, so I took this chance to ask him more questions. 

"Do you have any kids?" I muttered slowly.

"No, Myung Hee and I never did have any kids." 

"So what about any siblings?"

"I have a noona that passed away when I was twenty-eight. She was only thirty-four when she passed. A younger brother as well, a few years younger than I am."

"Did your siblings have children?" I slowed my pace as I asked this question.

"Yes, my both of my siblings did actually. I call and ask how they're doing from time to time."

Cutting to the chase, I wanted to know more about his wife. "What was your wife like?"

He smiled at me and came to a stop. "She was beautiful, inside and out."

"I bet she was." 

"Yes, very much. She is the love of my life."

"How do you know if the person is the one for you?" 

"It's more of a feeling that you can't describe. You love them, even for the little things. One time, we ate the dinner she cooked for me, and as she was eating I cried."

"Why?"

"Because Lee ah, this is the feeling you can't describe. I loved her so much, that by just watching her made me tear up. Those tears were tears of joy. It may have been just her presence, or the way she sipped her soup, but I loved everything about Myung Hee. I think that's what love is." 

 

 

 

Lay's POV: 

We were down the hall and heading to the elevator where she had already pushed the down button. It opened immediately after she pressed it. I watched her walk in first before I did and managed to press the G floor button before Ailee had the chance. However, going for the same button, she had touched my hand in reflex. I looked at her and she sneaked a smirk; she let her hand fall down beside her as I moved a step back closer to her just in case we were stopped by the elevator and made enough room for others to move in. Together we watched the display of numbers going down each floor. 

"I thought your name was Yi Xing?" she asked, her eyes still on the numbers.

My hand reached my neck and I slowly dabbed it. "Yeah...that's my real name. I'm not Korean." I stopped there, and just when the number read eight, the elevator stopped. A couple in their mid thirties were holding hands and were in each other's arms when they entered. I moved across to the corner, opposite of where Ailee was. I glanced at her, and saw that her eyes were darting me, questioning why I had moved. I clearly made room for other people in the first place, jeez. Why did I have to move? Now she thinks I'm a bit weird. 

"You guys are going down to the lobby right?" she asked the couple; they nodded yes in response. The elevator came to a stop and the both of us let the couple out first before we made our move. We came out at the same time, nearly smacking our shoulders together. She looked over my way and asked, 

"Are you ok, sorry I bumped into you?" I nodded my head and just walked off first. I seriously need to learn how to be friends with girls. Before heading out the door passing the lobby, I could here faint footsteps behind me. She stayed behind me for a couple minutes as we walked on the sidewalk. Mini tree plants were lined along the sidewalk we were walking on making it appear darker than it already was in the night. The trees stopped appearing as we came to an intersection. It was loud in the city, car honks were pressed every minute, traffic in a one-way, and lots of citizens were walking out and about. The traffic light went green for pedestrians to walk and because the street was busy and the cars only three feet away from us, I grabbed her hand. 

 

Ailee's POV:

 

 

He grabbed my hand as we walked across the street. What is this tingling feeling? There were people all around us and the city blasted with car honks, but my attention was on Lay and why he grabbed my hand. It's warm. Those seven seconds it took to walk across felt like seven years. We were now across, safe, and sound. I expected him to let go, bu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter