Recruited?

An Unexpected Life(ON HOLD)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

Flashback:

 

 

"What are stocks?" I asked while stirring the rice porridge on the stove.

"Stocks are something that belongs in a company. However, anybody can buy stocks from a company, and when you do that, you become part owner of whatever company you bought the stocks from." he replied drinking his morning fix of coffee. I was making him breakfast as he sat down on the stool behind the counter top. I had asked this question to him because early that day when I came over, I overheard him on the phone with somebody. He was speaking Korean, and even though I was starting to be fluent in the language, I was questioning myself if I had heard what I thought he said. I didn't necessarily know how to say "stocks" yet, but I did remember him talking about it in one of our lessons. Halapeoji brought up the term when he was talking about some sort of business. I didn't pay much attention to what he was saying on the phone as I just made my way to the kitchen to start cooking up what was in the fridge. With a nod, I shrugged off the thought of it and continued to cook the rest of the food. 

We sat down across each other at the dining table, like we always do. I was stirring my bowl of soup when I finally muttered out "So basically you're becoming an owner when you buy a stock?" 

Dropping his spoon on the side of his bowl, he looked up at me and said "Well, it depends on how many stocks you buy. If you buy a certain amount of stocks, then the easier it is for you to become a shareholder. Don't get to ahead of yourself though kiddo, depending on what company the stocks are from, the prices will vary. A single stock can be around fifty dollars to even a hundred or more."

"Woah, so were you talking about stocks early today?"

"Yes I was. Glad you understood what I was saying. You've picked up a lot these past couple months. I'm proud of you." he smiled brightly at me making me feel proud for what I've accomplished so far. I was learning so much at a time that I didn't realize how much of it I started to pick up on. I smiled back.

"So, are you by chance a shareholder?" I asked.

"No, actually I used to be. Not anymore though." he was now eating his soup. His action stopped me from thinking about anything else any further. Therefore I continued to eat with him. Something I've picked up from him over the years is that when he's eating, he likes silence to go with his meal. I never questioned him on that. 

 

 

Ailee's POV:

 

 

I was too shocked to even mutter a noise out. Partly because the guys in my class were here, and partly because of what Baekhyun said. Girlfriend?! Since when?! And how the hell did they end up in my apartment? What is this? A prank show? Is this forreal? Oh my god, am I hallucinating? I stood there with my mouth wide open and I'm sure they were all shocked to see me here too, because all of them had exactly the same facial expression I had. Everyone stopped talking and silence crept over the atmosphere...well actually my music from my earbuds was so loud, it could be heard throughout the apartment. That's how silent it went. And it didn't help that "Tearin Up My Heart" by N'Sync was now playing. I was feeling a bit embarrassed, but was too confused to even let that take a hold of me. I blankly stared at Kang Jun. He was looking back and forth from them to me occassionally and he obviously didn't know what just happened. I was still staring at him when he finally asked "So you have a boyfriend now?" while scratching the back of his head.

An "Uhmmm" was faintly heard from the directions of the boys. I didn't answer him back, but instead I got to the point and asked 

"How did you guys get in here?" now scanning the boys for an answer. 

"Wait! What?!" Chen startled everyone in the room and now the focus was on him. "Since when did you speak Korean?"

The spotlight was now on me and I quickly answered him, "Since six years ago, and can someone answer my question?!" I took my other earbud out and paused my music. 

"Well, these boys introduced themselves when I was in the hall, and told them that I wasn't the owner of this place but you are. I was the one that invited them in." Kang Jun replied. 

"Ohhkayyy..." was all that came out from me. Still confused I asked a question again. "So does that mean you guys live across the hall?"

"Yeah we do." said Kris in English. He was comfortably sitting on the couch with an arm casually placed across that Sehun kid. 

"Like all of you?" I replied back to him in English too. 

"Yup, you got that right. All of us." Baekhyun shouted from across the room. 

"Hold on. Let me get this straight. YOU LIVE HERE?" Tao asked me with his eyes wide opened.

I creepily replied back, "Yeessss..."

"How long have you been here?" Xiumin asked me this time. 

"I've only been here for a couple of weeks." 

"Who would've thought my girlfriend lived right across the hall from me. We could've baked cookies together." Baekhyun lightened the atmosphere with his witty comment leaving me giggling at his funny remarks. 

"Even if you guys were dating, it would have only been a couple days Baek." Chen retorted.

"Okayyyy, so now let me get this straight. You guys already know each other?" Kang Jun asked pointing to all of us with his hands.

"Yeah, we have homeroom together." I said. 

"Ok, not to get all personal or anything, but this means you are rich then." Suho, I think his name was had spoken up. 

"Correct." 

"And you speak fluent Korean?" Kyungsoo asked.

"Yes."

"And you live here by yourself?" Luhan joined.

"Right." 

"And you are my girlfriend?" Baek questioned.

"Yea- wait no!" This time the whole room was laughing at me. I tried to pull the straightest face I could, but turned to Baekhyun who was shooting hearts out to me. That did it, and now I was fully laughing with them. 

The boys who were standing at the window were now making their way towards the couches in the living room as Kang Jun and Suho brought over some drinks to hand out. I slowly approached the side of the coffee table in the middle where no one was at and sat down as I took a milk tea can. 

"So were you trying to fake speaking Korean?" a tan skinned guy asked me.

"I admit. I was planning on not revealing that I could indeed speak the language, but I wasn't going to keep up with it for too long. I just wanted to find out what people thought about

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter