Why So Serious?

Special

[ Onew ]


"Do I have to repeat myself?" Onew groaned in response to the stunned silence that followed.

"What do you mean? We're going to break out?" Krystal gulped, her hand automatically jerking. The waterbottle Taemin had been holding flew out of his hand and hit the wall.

"Hey!" he exclaimed.

"We're breaking out as in escaping this prison, not like zits as stuff," Victoria explained. Everyone stared at her.

"No one assumed that you guys meant breaking out with acne, Victoria. Literally no one," Key sighed.

Onew noticed that Luna was quiet, eyes closed and brows furrowed slightly.

"Luna?" he said gently, watching as her features flickered out of focus for a second. "Are you okay?"

"Feeling around," she replied shortly, much to Onew's confusion. "I sense a wall of energy around the prison here. Is that what's keeping you here?"

Right. Energy manipulation.

"When the Specials first started being discovered, the weakest of them were caught by the government. One of them were the force field manipulators," Sulli informed her bitterly, shaking her head. "The Normals managed to form some of their DNA into a technology that blocks us off from the outside."

"Yeah, I would have busted out of here a long time ago if that force field wasn't there," Amber griped. "They'll be doing that to all of us if we don't get out, though. Take our genes and morph them into weapons or some crap like that."

Luna visibly stiffened, and Onew wanted to rub the tension in her arms away. However, he had a reputation, and that involved not acting like a ert in dire need of help. Instead, he sent her a sympathetic smile, which she didn't return.

"That's the problem with our plan. The flaw. We don't know how to get out, and even when we get out, we don't know where to go," Victoria grumbled, crossing her arms as Onew began to unlock his room. It was usually his room or the empty one across from his room that the others piled into for a meeting. Now that Luna occupied the empty space, it was inevitably his room. She didn't question why they were suddenly shifting over to his room and merely followed.

"How's your foot? I sort of forgot about the sprain," Amber admitted sheepishly. "But my healing energy basically spreads throughout, so it should be enough for a sprain."

"It's fine. It feels weird, but it's better, I think." Luna smiled softly as Onew offered her the seat in his rolling chair beside his desk. She sat down and played with her dream catcher necklace with gentle fingers. Onew noticed that she tended to brush her hands over the little charm. He figured that it was a constant comfort for her.

Krystal knelt down and opened Onew's mini fridge. She wordlessly handed Minho a water bottle and sent him a pointed glare before she grabbed an ice pack. Then she shifted over to Luna and held it out to the dark-haired girl with a sweet grin.

"For your foot," Krystal explained as Luna took the cold pack slowly. She shot Minho a challenging look as she sat on the floor beside Luna before Minho sighed and settled beside her. "I think we should have the other Specials help us, like T.O.P. and CL and stuff."

"Yeah. I mean, if we're setting all the Specials free, we might as well have them back us up, right?" Amber agreed.

Onew and Victoria shared wary glanced.

"The thing is . . . we don't know if we can get everyone out," Onew admitted. He immediately tried to explain as everyone him with horrified expressions. "I mean - I mean, we'll get them out! But not right away. We want to somehow get the whole government to let all the Specials go and walk around . . . but we won't be able to help everyone escape all at once. So some might be stuck in here more than others."

Luna shook her head. "I don't want that. I don't want less and less people to be here, trapped and alone and feeling betrayed. I don't want the government treating them worse because we're not there, and they'd be alone and vulnerable. I don't want them to do that to them." Onew kept Luna's gaze, silent, because he knew exactly what she was thinking. Like they did to her.

"Don't worry about it," Victoria assured Luna, patting the younger's head affectionately. "We never had a reason to worry about this. The government took the weaker links to test, not one of us since they wanted us to train more. Naeun was a blow to us because of Taemin, but . . . the plan was barely formulated then. But you . . . we'll take the risk. We have to act on this by next week."

"But why me? I mean, I know I'm a part of your dorm but . . ." Luna glanced at everyone briefly. "I just came here a few days ago."

Onew kept a blank expression as Victoria stared at him pointedly. In reality, he wanted to pounce across the room and wipe the smugness of Victoria's face - preferably with his fist. But then again, he also had a reputation of not abusing people. Most of the time. Without good reason.

"You know what? You and Luna should go out and check the boundaries," Key chuckled. Jonghyun elbowed him, snickering, and Onew shot them both icy stares.

"Luna's foot is hurt. We can't go around anyways," he retorted. He snapped his fingers, and the small palm tree in the corner of his room whacked Jonghyun across the face. The latter growled at him and let his eyes crackle with electric gold before he stuck out his tongue.

Luna stood up slowly and shook out her foot. "I think we should listen to them and check out the force field. I want to see if my abilities can do anything to the wall. Onew felt his face warm up and he agreed readily. Hesitant, he offered an arm to support her while she walked. Luna faltered, looking him up and down. It wasn't critical; it was more reluctant.

Doing his best to keep his smile bright, Onew lowered his arm and gestured for Luna to follow him outside. Before they even left the building, he heard Key's smug voice ring through his head.

You can thank me later. Have fun - but not too much fun.

Oh, shut up, and get out of my head, for the last time, Onew thought bitterly, stuffing his hands in his pockets.

Fine, but Amber wanted me to tell you to be nice to Luna or she'll break your neck.

 

 

It was a long walk, but Onew was good at keeping the conversation going. He found it pleasant that Luna didn't keep a cold exterior and responded to him rather than letting his questions go unanswered. It saved them from awkward silences. In fact, Onew didn't even have to think up random topics to fill up the quiet. He genuinely wanted to talk to her.

"This is the border," Onew announced as they reached the top of the hill. He pointed to the tall gates several yards away from the bottom. "It's not rigged with anything, since that's pretty much useless compared to the other powers some Specials have here. Pretty much all of them. The force field technology does all the work." Luna crouched down with Onew when they spotted a couple Normals walking along the edges.

"What are those things in their hands?" Luna whispered. Onew tensed.

"Probably one of their weapons they made from a Special's DNA. They randomly pick us off by powers. It could be an electricity Special, maybe a hi-tech taser. It could be a simple metal manipulator gun, too." Onew shivered. "It's rare that anyone goes to the borders. It's dangerous, and they're usually put on probation or hurt pretty badly when they try to climb the fences. We have about a three feet limit walking up to the gates."

The two stood up gradually, Luna shaking her head.

"I want to feel the force field up close, but I don't think we should risk it. I'll try deriving as much information as I can without getting too risky," she huffed. She was slow to walk back down the hill, heading towards the dorm again with a dejected sigh. Onew felt bad, and he wanted to make it up to her somehow. He wasn't even sure why he was feeling guilty for it. Before he could say anything, though, he noticed two Normals walking up to them.

"Subject names. Now," one of them demanded roughly.

"Onew," he answered suspiciously. They were quite far from the gates, and it never mattered what your subject name was to the Normals at all. If you were offending something of their rules, they would immediately take action without a second thought.

"Luna."

The Normals immediately started muttering to each other. Onew managed to catch a few phrases. "Is it her?", "Looks like it", and "Keep it alive." Without a second of hesitation, Onew tackled Luna to the ground, shielding her with his body as he felt electricity shoot up his spine. He arched his back with a shout of pain and heard Luna gasp. He writhed on the floor, wincing in an effort to hold back his screams. Their technology had improved, and the effect was much more . . . shocking.

"Leave the boy! Make sure the experiment learns her lesson!" This voice was female, and she was yelling at the man beside her, who had tased Onew. He sniffed in irritation as he reloaded the gun, the barrel snapping with a bright silver-gold.

[I know what a taser gun looks like. But the taser gun in my story looks cooler. Like a tactical AK47 or something. Because I can.]

Onew groaned as the electricity coursing through him zapped the nape of his neck before striking his head with a glorifying ache.

"Onew? Onew! Get up!" Luna demanded in panic, struggling to pick up the taller male. Onew shook her off, shaking his head painfully as he motioned for her to leave. They wanted her, not him. "Damn it, you lazy !"

I get called an for trying to save a damsel in distress, Onew thought as Luna stood up, shifting into a defensive stance. She leapt forward and jumped off her left leg, kicking the male's taser gun out of his hands. She whirled around and elbowed him across the face, her right foot whipping up to kick him right between the legs.

Onew reminded himself not to mess with Luna. She sprinted towards the girl, who had pulled out a flamethrower.

"DUCK!" Onew screeched out, despite the huge throb that bursted in his temples whenever he spoke. Luna obeyed, just in time before a long flame lashed out in a smooth arch. Stupid scientists and their ability to take the Special's powers. Onew struggled to sit up, reaching out for the taser gun lying on the ground. Luna shrieked when the man jumped her, wrapping his arms around her neck and tugging her back. The woman kicked Luna in the stomach before she held out the flamethrower again.

Onew finally gripped the gun and held it up with shaking hands. It hit the Normal, and she collapsed on the ground in a howling heap. The male Normal consequently freaked out, spinning Luna around. The necklace that was always around her neck snapped, and the dream catcher fell to the ground. She stared at it with wide eyes, and Onew watched as her heart broke through her irises.

He scrambled forward, groaning slightly, and shot the second Normal down. He wailed as the light surrounded him like a net, and Onew wondered if that was how he'd looked just a few minutes ago. That would be embarrassing.

"Luna. Hey, it's okay. Calm down," Onew coughed, stumbling forward on his knees. Luna sank to the ground, fists shaking as they clenched around her broken necklace. Onew thought he saw it glow for a second, but he ignored it when he saw Luna's eyes gleaming white again. "Luna, please calm down. Don't do anything rash again." Onew wrapped his arms around her tightly, shaking slightly.

His eyes darted over to the Normal that had broken her necklace. His mask had slipped off slightly, and his mouth had fallen open in shock. The Normal's eyes were locked in Luna's gaze, and Onew could practically see that his energy was being drained.

"Luna, stop! It's okay; I'll fix your necklace. Please. I thought you didn't want to be a murderer," he hissed. That seemed to do the trick; Luna's expression flickered before she slumped against Onew, trembling slightly. Onew was smart; he knew that she wasn't shivering in fear. She was quivering with anger. And the effort to control herself. "Good?"

"Good," Luna ground out through clenched teeth. She brushed his arms off briefly, standing up and limping forward. "That hurt my foot again."

"First I'm an , now he is?" Onew tried to joke, although his attempt was weak and futile. Luna glared at him, continuing towards the dorm. Her eyes went from side to side, looking for any more attackers.

"You're still an ," she snapped.

Onew smiled half-heartedly, freezing when another wave of daze rolled over him. Luna looked at him warily, but he smiled again and shook his head.

"We have to go back and t-tell them what happened," he declared, rigid as he tried to hold in his pain. That damn taser lasted longer than he'd expected. "This . . . is going to backfire on our plan. A lot."

 

[ Luna ]


"I literally just healed you," Amber whined, opening the door to Onew's room before Luna even knocked. The latter pulled back her hand in surprise. "Key sensed Onew's thoughts. Something along the lines of stupid and I'm not an or something." She took in the sight of the two, tired and stiff, and narrowed her eyes. "Yo, you guys sent them out on a date or something but I think you guys just kicked them to hell."

"What happened?" Jonghyun demanded, tugging the two in by their hands. Amber sat Luna on the bed and began to work her healing magic, hands pressing against Luna's foot gently.

"Jumped by two Normals," Onew admitted, sitting on the floor and slumping against the wall. Luna watched as he leaned his head back, eyes closed, and twitched. She knew that he was still feeling some of the after effects of the taser, but he hadn't said anything on the walk back. Well, she had given him the cold shoulder. But still.

"What the hell? Why?" Minho asked, crossing his arms.

"Me," Luna interrupted, bitter. "It's all my fault. They're keeping a close watch on me. They called me 'the experiment' before they attacked. It doesn't matter if I'm a mile away from the gates now. I can't go anywhere near escape."

"Which will make it about a thousand times harder for us to go through with Especially," Onew announced bluntly. He opened up one eye to meet Luna's glare. "Sorry."

"You should be sorry for using that stupid name again," Sulli scoffed. Onew grunted indignantly.

"I think Luna's fine. A bit busted up, but her foot will work after a nice sleep. That little swelling of your lip will go away, too," Amber chirped. She turned to Onew and glared at him. "Your turn." Onew shook his head silently.

"I'm fine. Finish healing Luna," he mumbled, looking like he would pass out any minute. Luna suddenly felt a wave of guilt; he must have been so tired.

"Don't lie, jerk. I can sense where the pain is coming from, and right now, you're feeling pain everywhere." Amber patted Luna's knee affectionately before she stalked over to Onew and placed her hand on his back. "Oh, damn. They hit you straight at the bottom of your spine." Onew shivered as Amber pinched the nape of his neck suddenly. Luna watched with fascination as a warm glow made its way down his back. She could see the light through his thin cotton shirt as it moved. "Electricity guns? Must be why my powers are making him look like a Christmas tree."

Luna focused on Amber as she worked on Onew's injuries, although she could feel everyone's eyes on her. Onew was the leader, sure, but he needed his weapon. His surprise attack.

Her. She was the surprise attack.

"I need to train," Luna whispered, pulling her broken necklace out of her pocket. She rubbed her thumb over the dream catcher and eyed the snapped chain warily. She would fix it. Sometime. "I need to strengthen myself so I can somehow break that force field."

"And we need to find allies. People who won't sell us out because they're too scared." Onew had said that, and although he wasn't facing Luna, she could practicall hear his dull expression from his montonous tone.

"I can't go back to those battling rooms. Tomorrow, I'll train somewhere else."

"You should go to sleep," Onew hissed out when Amber suddenly kicked him. "What was that for?!"

"Did that hurt?"

"Yes!"

"Did it like . . . hurt like before? With the taser?" Amber tried again.

"No . . ."

"Okay, you're good." She grinned, which let on that she knew she didn't have to kick Onew to see if he was alright.

Luna decided to take Onew's advice and said goodbye to everyone quietly, slipping out of the room. When she collapsed in bed, she placed her necklace on the pillow beside her head. She pursed her lips and, with a sigh, rolled on her side to sleep.

 

 

She wasn't awake, but she was staring at a blank wall. Her dreams were usually nightmares, and this nightmare was starting out rather pleasantly compared to the ones she usually had. Boring, but pleasant.

Where am I? Luna wondered before two gasps met her ears. She whirled around, mouth open slightly when she was met with the face of a middle-aged woman. Her features hinted at a young beauty, but her face was weighed down with many experiences . . . sad . . . empty.

"S . . . Sunyoung," the woman coughed, putting a hand to her chest. "It worked."

"How do you know my real name?" Luna questioned suspiciously, stepping back. She surveyed the woman's outfit, which looked like a nurse's scrubs in black.

"It's - I - you've grown so tall. And your hair -" The woman broke off, the hand on her chest moving to . Luna was startled to see that tears were glistening in the stranger's eyes.

"I'm sorry. Ma'am. But I don't know you. Where am I?" Luna asked, a feeling of fear creeping onto her.

"Sunyoung-ah," the woman whispered. "You don't have to call me ma'am. Call me Mom, okay?"

 

 

 

AUTHOR'S NOTE


Oh, my dubu.

I don't know why I used that term, but I believe in Onew, so it works

idek

This post took me a bit longer

I don't know if you guys noticed

LOOOOOORD, I HAVE BEEN SO BUSY

AND THEN MY LAPTOP AND GRAahahaahahAHAAAAA

Sometimes I just slip into a daze and think about things all lost and

/stares into space contemplating life then gives up/

A little bit more cursing than usual in this chapter?

Lots of . Heh-heh.

I don't know, maybe it helped me vent out my frustrations.

kekeekekeke

If you guys have any problems right now, feel free to let me know.

It makes me happy to make people happy so I am open to all

BECOME MY FRIEND BECAUSE WHY NOT?

HUGS

Man, I'm tired.

And hungry.

I want boba.

Fact about me: I'm always hungry. Or thirsty. I always want to taste something.

hehe confessions of a food addict

Please excuse my fatty confessions huheueheuhe

Thank you for being here! Feel free to FEEL MY LOVE

WATAAHAAHAHAHAH LOVE HEART POWERS ZAP ZAP