Nightmare

Special

[ Luna ]


"You're kidding, right," Luna breathed, jumping over a rock. She turned her head slightly to get a good look at the girl. She seemed pretty, with a cute face that could easily be put to her advantage once pouty.

"No, I'm not kidding," Onew grunted, not even glancing back as he threw his hand up. The trees along the pathway stretched their branches, tangling together to form a firm wall of oak. "Her name's Lizzy, by the way."

"Ah, yes, charging the opposite direction as her ex-boyfriend introduces her. The true way to greet a person," Luna sighed blissfully, facing forward again to stare up at the sky.

"I don't appreciate the attitude," Onew huffed. Luna shot him a dull glare.

"I don't appreciate the sudden exercise," she shot back as she gestured to her running legs. She automatically ducked when she heard a blast behind them, a wave of heat rushing over her skin.

Holy crap. Luna and Onew slowed down slightly to evaluate the damage. The wall of branches had been shot, a black, smoking hole revealing the girl racing through the smoke. She didn't look as cute anymore.

"What kind of power is that?" Luna deadpanned, pointing to the gaping space in the tree branches.

"Nature manipulation, too," Onew groaned. "Level 4. She tends to use it negatively, as you can see, which is one reason why I left. HUOFFF!" Onew let out the oddest sound Luna had ever heard as Lizzy tackled him. He toppled backwards, the grinning girl on top of him.

"Hey, Onew! You didn't see me?" she quipped happily. Luna stood awkwardly beside them, scratching her head as Onew forced a smile. Didn't see her? They were just trying to escape her literally two seconds ago. "I haven't seen you in such a long time!"

"You trapped me inside a bunch of tomato plants just last week, Lizzy," Onew grumbled, trying to subtly push the girl off.

"Yeah, but you got out pretty quick. Ran away before I could really say anything. I love the way you say my name," Lizzy sighed dreamily. Her eyes drifted upwards, to Luna. An immediate frown replaced her light expression, but Luna didn't take it to heart.

The knit brows seemed more curious, rather than belittling.

"My name's Luna," she said, waving slightly, since Lizzy still hadn't said anything.

"Lizzy," the chestnut haired girl replied. She puffed up her cheeks, and as Luna had expected, her pout was flawless. "I'm Onew's girlfriend." She paused dramatically before continuing. "From before."

"I'm one of his dorm . . ." Luna trailed off, waving her hands around to finish the sentence. Lizzy nodded slowly, eyes narrowing as she looked between the two.

"Wow, look at the time! I should be getting to bed now. And check on the others to make sure Jonghyun hasn't electrified Amber. Or Krystal hasn't accidentally hit Minho over the head. On purpose."

Onew finally shoved Lizzy off before grabbing Luna's wrist. As he dragged Luna back, she shook off his grip.

"That was a rude farewell," she commented. Onew raised an eyebrow at her incredulously.

"She grew roses in front of my door because she thought it was romantic before. I stepped in the thorns and had my foot wrapped up for a week."

"Oh. Well, that lie about the others at the dorm abusing each other was a bit far-fetched," Luna argued. Onew grinned widely and tugged on one of her electric blue locks.

"I wasn't lying about that. You'll get to know the others, and then you'll know better," Onew promised. Sure enough, by the time they reached the dorm, Taemin was being lectured by Victoria for ruining her hair when he lost control of his wind powers. Onew shook his head and walked up to them. "Yah, Lee Taemin. I told you to stop practicing inside. If you're going to play with the air, do it outside."

"But there's air inside, too," Taemin protested. Onew punched the younger lightly in the stomach, causing him to double over with a grunt. "Fine, fine." Onew snorted and threw an arm over Taemin's shoulders.

"It's getting late. Let's go to sleep, okay?" Onew suggested, glancing over to Victoria and Luna. The two nodded, and they went up to their rooms. Victoria went into her room first, but not before letting a cloud of smoke drop over Taemin's head. The latter snapped his fingers, and the smoke dispersed, although it hovered around him irritatingly. They shot each other challenging scowls and disappeared behind their doors.

Onew smiled at Luna, his eyebrows pulling together in an expression that read, What can you do? His bangs fell over his eyes as he glanced at his palm, fingers splaying out. Luna watched with interest as a small, green bud sprouted from his hand. Her eyes widened as a stem grew out, and a tulip bloomed. From his hand. Onew's smile widened as he plucked the flower off his palm and held it out to her.

"Doesn't that hurt?" she wondered aloud, taking the flower and examining it to make sure it was real.

"A little sting, but isn't it cool? I can produce small things from my hands if I concentrate enough, and the biggest I've managed were some roots. They die pretty quickly though, but I'm working on it. My powers usually manipulate with nature, but I think it's even cooler to make some of my own," Onew explained, smile falling a bit when the tulip started to wilt. "Well. It was a record."

"It's cool. Maybe one day you can grow a tree from your palm," Luna joked. Onew beamed, and Luna retreated to her room. After a moment's hesitation, she retrieved an empty vase from her top shelf and placed it on her desk. She filled it with water before plopping the slowly dying flower in the vase. Luna bit her lip and glanced at her fingertips. A white aura was dancing along her hand, twitching and spazzing now and then.

Luna gently wrapped her hand around the flower stem. The corners of were graced by her smile as the flower started to bloom again; it would live for a bit longer. Suddenly, the energy Luna was using began to grow.

"Crap," she hissed, grabbing her wrist. She squeezed her eyes shut and tried to contain the power. She exhaled in relief when she could finally control the light, and it faded back into her palm. "I am never trying that again." It had been a long time since Luna had toyed with her abilities, and she was a little unsure of why she had just used it then.

At least she hadn't blown up her whole room. Maybe even the other dorms.

She jumped slightly at the sound of rapid knocks on her door. Was it Onew again? Luna made sure her energy was restrained before she went to answer.

"Izzy?" she said once she saw who was outside. She never realized how much taller Onew's ex-girlfriend was compared to her. Then again, everyone was taller than her.

"It's Lizzy," said girl corrected Luna. She looked pointedly to Onew's door, which was closed. Luna mentally willed for it to open so that Lizzy would talk to him instead.

"Um, yeah, you're at the wrong door," Luna informed her, pointing. Lizzy shook her head.

"No. I know where Onew's room is. Duh," Lizzy said in exasperation, bangs bouncing as she shifted her weight to the other side of her hips. "I came here to talk to you. I should've known you would've gotten the only other empty room. I wish I was a Level Five and not a Four so I could be here."

Damn it. Luna rubbed her eyes tiredly and squinted as she glanced up and down the hall. Nope. No one was there to save her. "If you think I'm sort of threat to you, trust me, I have no interest in Smiley Boy."

Lizzy raised a perfectly arched brow and smirked. "Fine. Whatever you say. But everyone's just dying to know what you're capable of, since you seem to be so secretive about your powers. A lot of people are betting on what you are. And me? I put my money towards you being a lot weaker than everyone makes you out to be."

Luna gave her a thumbs up and smiled sweetly. How she wished it was a different finger than her thumb that she had flashed. "Awesome. Good to know. Are we done here?"

Lizzy shook her head. "I challenge you to a battle, Luna. Tomorrow, at noon. Do you accept?"

Luna could never turn away from a challenge.

 

 

[ Onew ]


"You what?" Onew demanded, grabbing Luna by her shoulders. She wrinkled her nose and swatted his hands away.

"I didn't what. Lizzy what-ed. I just went along with what she what-ed," she defended herself.

"What?" Jonghyun chimed in.

Onew sighed and ran his hands through his lengthy hair. When he looked up again, Luna had her bottom lip jutted out and was frowning at the ground.

Aw, you think she's cute, Key's voice invaded his thoughts. Onew glowered at him. Right. Out of your mind. I'm leaving now.

"I thought you said you didn't know what your powers are," Onew accused, crossing his arms over his chest. He couldn't help but let his responsible side show now, but at least Luna would know he had some manlier traits to him.

"Well, I don't know exactly what they are, but I can use them," Luna mumbled. "Besides, I can't just back out. That's weak." Onew scrutinized Luna as she smiled confidently, eating her breakfast. He narrowed his eyes. The smile wasn't genuine; he knew what fake smiles were. He'd used them many times. Nonetheless, he decided to let it go this time. Luna didn't seem like the type to comply easily.

"I'm sure you can kick ," Amber declared. "And if anything, I can use my healing powers to aid you if your gets kicked."

"Not helping," Krystal sang. She examined the apple she held in her hands before putting the cool fruit to her bruised cheek. She winced before she sighed in relief. "Besides, I think Luna can beat Lizzy. I trust her."

"Thank you," Luna said matter-of-factly, giving Onew a pointed huff. His lips twisted as he straightened up defensively. It wasn't his fault that he was concerned - for a fellow dorm buddy.

"Can you at least tell us what your powers are?" Jonghyun questioned, curiosity sparking in his eyes. He leaned forward on the table, elbows propped up and chin supported by his fists. Luna wrinkled her nose in distaste. No, she couldn't, really. "Nevermind, you don't have to. I was just wondering how you would fight her if you didn't want anyone knowing."

"That's true, Luna," Onew said urgently. Luna rolled her eyes.

"I know what I'm doing. Trust me. I can just avoid all of Lizzy's attacks until she gets too tired out. She's only a Level Four, after all; it shouldn't be that hard," Luna convinced. She was about to get up and throw away her tray when someone stopped her; a boy with a lean body and prominent cheekbones smiled down at her.

Onew cleared his throat. "Ryeowook? What are you doing here?" The older male's eyes darted to Onew before they settled back on Luna.

"Well, the others dared me to go up to the Level Ten girl. I came for the money, but I'm staying for the view."

From the corner of his eye, Onew saw Key and Sulli mime gagging. Personally, he wanted to do the same, but he had a reputation of not childishly pretending to vomit in front of people. Ryeowook took the tray from Luna smilingly, throwing it in the trash for her before returning with that same damn smile. There was an awkward silence from everybody then. Onew cleared his throat. How could he politely tell him to go away? He tensed when the male started to reach towards Luna.

"Hey, there," a deep voice sounded. Ryeowook's arm immediately slowed down. In fact, his whole body did. T.O.P. chuckled as he turned the slender boy away from the table. "You can head back to your table now, boy." Ryeowook's eyes widened - very slowly - and his mouth opened. Very slowly. The syllables dragged out as he spoke.

"Ca . . . n . . . y . . . ou . . . le . . .t . . . me . . . go . . .?"

T.O.P.'s lips curled up as he snapped his fingers. Ryeowook gasped when he could move normally again. Then he rushed back to his friends, who were laughing at him from their table. Onew let out a breath he hadn't known he'd been holding. He fist bumped T.O.P. lightly; sometimes, he was really grateful for the guy's time keeping powers.

"So I heard you were going up against Onew's ex, Luna," Bom said from behind T.O.P., head popping up over his shoulder. She rested her chin on it as she wrapped her arms around his waist, batting her eyelashes at Luna. "Wo~w, I cannot wait to see you Level Ten her Level Four ."

"Why does everyone refer to butts when they talk about defeating someone?" T.O.P. commented. Bom poked his head and frowned at him.

"Shut up, alien," she ordered. He frowned and pressed his nose to hers.

"You're an alien, too," he teased. They had a random staring contest, leaning closer as they brought up the intensity of their gazes.

"I think I'm going to throw up again," Key announced, slapping his hand on the tabletop. The two rolled their eyes as they parted.

Bom sat next to Luna, squishing herself between her and Onew. He frowned as he made room for her. Bom pursed her lips and began to look Luna up and down, eyes traveling over her critically.

"Let me guess - a water manipulator?" She picked up a strand of Luna's blue hair and waved it around. Luna leaned back and shook her head. "Ice?" Luna shook her head again. "Electricity, like Jonghyun?" No. "Then why is your hair such a bright freaking blue?" Bom threw her hands up and leapt from the seat.

"It's frustrating, right? I can't get anything from her head," Key sighed. Luna looked between the two of them uncomfortably. She obviously very much liked it when no one got anything from her head.

After a bit of bickering between the Dorm Building F group and the two from Buildings D and E, everyone decided that it was a good time to head to the battling arena. Luna tried to look unfazed as the others crowded her and sent her words of encouragement, Onew could tell. He could also tell that she was actually very fazed and uncomfortable. He was casual to brush his fingertips over her wrist, and when she looked at him questioningly, he smiled.

"I'm not going to tell you that you will beat her. I'm not going to tell you to show us your powers. But I am going to tell you this - it up." He held his breath as she stared at him blankly. Maybe those weren't the right words of encouragement? But then Luna broke into the biggest smile he had ever seen her direct towards anyone since yesterday, and it left a warm feeling inside him.

 

~

 

A Normal entered a number into the panel at the entrance. Luna blinked in confusion a few times before she turned to Onew, who blinked back.

"Oh. Didn't we tell you? If you win a battle here, you get money. That's how the economy works here. It's basically the government getting you to train on your skills more by using it as a way of survival," he explained.

"What if you keep losing? Are you homeless?" Luna whispered as the Normal started to scroll through the settings for the battle room.

"No, dorms are free, but you can't get any luxuries from the Main City. You're stuck with cafeteria food everyday." Onew twitched slightly when two arms draped over his shoulders, but he just closed his eyes and sighed. He was obviously used to it by now. "Lizzy."

"Hey, Onew! Luna," Lizzy quipped, moving away from Onew but still keeping their shoulders touching. "I heard you met Ryeowook. I'm the one who brought up the dare. He thought you were cute, so I did him a favor. Isn't he sweet?" Luna shrugged and jerked her head towards the battle room. "You want to go in now? Okay! Wish me luck, Onew!"

Onew merely smiled at her, but it seemed to be enough, since she grinned back and bounced into the room.

"Good luck," he told Luna softly. She gave him a gentle scoff in return, but he could tell she was grateful for it. He headed back to the seats. If the bleachers had been filled when Krystal and G-Dragon had fought, they were overflowing now. Every single spot was packed, and some Specials even sat on the floor. They were opening up the bleachers on the other side of the battle room now, too. Of course, the high level Specials had their reserved seats up front, where he managed to squeeze in.

"I'm really interested in what Luna has to offer," CL noted. Everyone nodded in agreement, leaning towards the window involuntarily.

Onew was curious, too, but he was also concerned. He wasn't worried about Luna losing to Lizzy, no. He could tell she wasn't scared about what Lizzy could do. However, she was anxious about something else, and he could sense that as well. He had a feeling.

He had a feeling that she was uneasy about herself, and what she could do.

 

 

[ Luna ]


The window still hadn't changed into a mirror yet, so Luna could still look out and see the many people that sat in the stands. She caught Amber's eye, somewhere in the middle of all the other high levels, and the boyish girl winked at her.

"If your gets kicked, I got you," Amber mouthed. Luna snorted and shook her head, turning back to Lizzy. She had her hands on her hips and was worrying her lip with her top teeth.

"What? Are you now realizing that you're going up against a Level Ten?" Luna challenged, secretly hoping Lizzy would call off the battle. Lizzy shook her head and stretched her arms, bending down and moving her body from side to side.

"Just preparing myself. I'm really looking forward to see how you'll go against me," Lizzy chirped.

Just like everyone else, Luna thought dryly. The Normal directed her to the other side of the room. With a sigh, Luna obeyed, walking lazily. She hadn't realized how huge the room was; it was humongous. It must've been a real workout to spar in here. Luna stiffened when she saw the window flicker. Soon, the sea of people became a simple reflection of the white room, the only colorful images in the glass being herself, a tiny speck, and Lizzy. The Normal pressed one last button before announcing for the two girls to get ready.

A timer on Luna's side of the room . It had two sides, one saying thirty minutes. That must've been how long a battle could last up to. The other side read ten seconds. That must've been how long a person could stay on the ground until they lost.

Luna froze when the setting around her began flickering as well. Her eyes narrowed when flashes of green caught her eye, then brown. She closed her eyes, getting a headache from all this technology. When she opened them again, she balked for a second. Then she sighed and tried her best to relax, cursing herself for having the worst luck.

She was about to battle Lizzy in a jungle setting. A jungle setting. She was going to fight a nature manipulator in the midst of . . . well, nature. Luna whirled around at the sound of ripping. A tree towered over her, but its roots were beginning to uncurl from the dirt. She caught a flash of hair from behind the tree and guessed that Lizzy had already run across the whole room to get here. The tree was starting to tilt, and it was definitely dipping towards her.

"I am so not going to lose to a girl playing with a bunch of leaves," Luna hissed as it continued to fall towards her.

And then the thick trunk completely dropped, a swift, deliberate plunge over Luna.

 

AUTHOR'S NOTE


woooOOOWWWWww

Woooooo~~w

My sister read my story and asked me how the Specials got money to buy things, so I added that little detail

Did you guys notice? Hee-hee...

 

To whitepaper - was that TopBom okay? I looked them up and saw some things about aliens and ping-pong...

This ship is difficult to express. HAHA~ man, that scene was so fluffy for me..........

 

I'm starting school soon so

jonghyun crying gif b/c he is SHINee's crybaby honestly

I'm sorry if my updates get less frequent. I'll try to have one or two a week!

 

And I mean no hate towards the characters I choose for love rivals or jealousy starters

I chose Lizzy (thanks to the help of myonewsmile) and Ryeowook (the musical Luna was in with him)

BUT IT WAS SO DIFFICULT FOR ONEW'S EX BECAUSE HE IS A FLIRTATIOUS, SMOOTH LITTLE SHIZ.

I TRIED GOOGLE AND LOOK. LOOK.

Onew is such A FLIRT

LOOK AT HIM. HE COULD HAVE DATED ANYONE, FROM OTHER KPOP GIRLS (like Seungyeon who isn't on here) OR HIS OWN MEMBERS OR EVEN CHICKEN. HE COULD'VE HAD CHICKEN BE HIS EX-GIRLFRIEND.

But his name and Luna's is the only one with the word dating so ha.

 

AND BY THE WAY TAEMIN'S TEASER?!!???!/!?!!?

oh eM GEEEEE?!?!?!?!? OH EM GEEEEEE!!!!!

scREAMinGGggggGGGG??!?!?1!?

shrieks out of FEAR OF THE UNKNOWN BUT ALSO ANTICIPATION!!!

Okay, that's enough fangirling. Next time~

Don't be afraid to show some love (or hate, your opinion) in the comments! Thanks for reading!

HWAITING~