Danger (Pinocchio)

Special

[ Onew ]


The vines waved dangerously close to his skin, winding around Onew's neck and tightening enough so that he could feel the squeeze. He tapped out immediately, just a bit uncertain of Luna's ability to control the plants right.

"What, no confidence in your pupil?" she inquired, disappointment evident in her tone as she let the vines retreat.

Onew nodded earnestly, finishing off the last of the natural ropes himself. He silently cursed the other manipulator - D.O. or something like that - for ditching him in today's practice. After realizing that Luna definitely returned his feelings (but in fact couldn't, really, because of the whole save-the-world deal), he wasn't sure how to approach her anymore.

So he approached her normally. Less affectionately, but still friendly. He could tell that Luna seemed a bit more relaxed because of that.

Now, they both smiled uncertainly at each other, Onew's fingers pressed to his throat and Luna wringing her hands.

"Uh, sorry," she apologized a moment later. Onew chuckled briefly, waving his hand to reassure her. Luna had gotten a lot better at manipulating nature; she could even lift tree trunks from the ground with less effort than Onew had ever used.

"Don't worry about it. I think you can move on to the next trainer," Onew grunted, plopping down on the ground. He hid his smugness when he saw the look of hesitation cross Luna's face. He let her linger there, pretending to stretch her arms. Onew watched in amusement as she retreated with exaggerated slowness from their practice area, but then she suddenly froze. Onew frowned. "What's wrong?"

"There's a different energy here; I thought I was already accustomed to everyone's," Luna muttered. She and Onew shared suspicious glances, and then they were sprinting towards the main center.

"Someone's here!" Kai was shouting when they arrived. The rest of the Specials and Hina had already gathered, quickly discussing the possibilities. "Sunny felt the borders being entered."

"Sorry; I'm not strong enough to have a force field that could cover this whole area thoroughly," the short-haired girl huffed. "The intruder's coming from the northeast. It's only one person, as far as I know, so we don't have to send everyone." She glanced at the newcomers pointedly, who looked away as if they didn't know what she was talking about.

"Luna, come with me, Taeyeon, and Suho, then. I want you to tell me how stong this intruder's energy is so that we know if it's a threat," Hina ordered. 

"I'm coming, too," Onew said shortly. And, so that no one would get the wrong idea, he added, "And Victoria. As leaders."

"Everyone wait here. If we need assistance, come running," Suho directed. When everyone nodded in confirmation, the leaders took off.

"The only entrance in this direction is under the Seoul bank, and it's hidden very well," Taeyeon shouted as they ran. "I have no idea how this person got in alone."

All six of them skidded to a stop when they saw a girl lying crumpled on the ground in front of the opening in the dirt. Her tiger-colored hair fell gently over her face, eyes closed and breath coming out softly. Onew and Luna exchanged bewildered glances.

"She's a Special, but her energy is different," Luna announced. "It's low, though . . ." She trailed off, eyes narrowing at the unfamiliar figure. Onew had a feeling she still wasn't sure about the girl, and he felt a slight distrust for her as well. The figure shifted, a soft grunt coming from the girl. She struggled to sit up, arms shaking and making her look incredibly vulnerable. She blinked up through her long eyelashes, confused.

"Wh-where am I?"

"That's funny that you're asking that, seeing as it takes at least five locks to break down before you can go through that entrance," Suho scoffed. His hand was held out defensively, a swirl of water forming at his palm. The stranger's eyes dilated, and she scrambled back.

"I-I don't want to h-hurt you! I don't know - remember - how I got here. Please don't hurt me!"

Hina walked up to the girl and stared her directly into the eyes, standing over the kneeling girl with an aura of authority radiating around her. Onew admired Hina for being a human yet looking as intimidating as any of them. He didn't question the fact that she was related to Luna (that, and they were nearly identical).

"Take her in." The command was brief and almost nonchalant, but there was a hard set to Hina's expression.

"Hina," Luna protested sharply. Her sister shot her a warning glare. The stranger stayed on the ground as Hina stormed towards Luna.

"We trusted you right away. What gives you the right to say no to her? You just got here!"

"That's different. I'm your sister," Luna hissed. "I don't feel good about this. I can't sense the physical threat but . . . it just doesn't feel right." Hina clenched her teeth, eyes narrowing.

"She reminds me . . . of me. A human, okay? I just want to help." Hina shook her head slowly, a soft sigh escaping her lips. "There's over twenty of us; she can't do much to us, right?"
 


Her name was Jung Ah, and that was all she remembered about herself. She looked around at the large group of Specials and swallowed anxiously.

"What is it that you do?" Chanyeol demanded. Jung Ah flinched away from the tall boy, obviously intimidated.

"I-I don't know."

In all honesty, had Luna not told them, Onew would have thought that this girl was a regular human. She ran shaky fingers through her brown hair, a sign of nervousness, and shrank away from the others. She met Onew's eyes, blinking widely, and he sighed. He sort of pitied her.

"Back up, guys. Don't scare her." Onew sensed Luna glance at him briefly, but when he looked back, she was staring at the newcomer. Jung Ah cleared .

"I was in the bank when I woke up, and I just broke into the safe."

"You broke into the Seoul National Bank safe that easily?" Taeyeon asked incredulously. Jung Ah frowned.

"It was easy." The others wore similar expressions of disbelief.

"For now, let's just let her rest here. We'll figure out what to do with you tomorrow," Suho told Jung Ah, who nodded eagerly. "Don't cause any trouble. Luna, I'm putting you in charge of her."

"Me?" Luna said flatly.

"Then Onew."

"Nevermind; I can do it."

"Then both of you."

No one bothered protesting since Suho's eye was starting to twitch.

 

[ Luna ]


She just couldn't bring herself to trust Jung Ah. It wasn't just the way she seemed to hang onto Onew despite the fact that the both of them were supposed to be watching over her. It wasn't just the way she seemed to ignore everything Luna tried to say, too intent on talking to Onew, and in turn making him lose focus on Luna. It wasn't just that.

There was something else off about Jung Ah, but Luna couldn't quite figure it out. At least not fully.

"Is that where you guys can grow your food?"

"I'm not sure," Onew answered, scratching the back of his neck. "I haven't been here for that long." Jung Ah's eyes lit up.

"Oh, really? How long have you guys been here?"

"The others and I - Luna - got here not too long ago," Onew muttered. Luna appreciated his effort in bringing her into the conversation, but she wasn't really so eager to join it anymore. She didn't feel like talking at all, actually, not in the other girl's presence.

"Oh. Is there another place to say that's safe for me then? Where there's more of you?" This time, Jung Ah's eyes flickered over to Luna and studied the stiff girl silently. Luna and Onew didn't answer her; at least she was smart enough not to push it.

Luna analyzed each and every suspicious thing about Jung Ah. When she wasn't being fake, talking to Onew, Luna noticed that her expression became distant. Unnatural. And everything about her just seemed too perfect, from the way she moved and talked to her ignorance to just about anything. When Luna asked about what else Jung Ah could manage to remember, her blank expression reappeared.

"I'm afraid I can't recall anything like that."

How boring. How odd.

The day ended much too slowly, and Jung Ah agreed to room with Luna. After Onew left the two, the newcomer turned to Luna.

"Onew told me he was an earth manipulator. What about you?"

Luna smiled thinly. "I sure don't manipulate plants."

Jung Ah was obviously not satisfied with that answer.

"What are you, then?" Luna inquired. She interrupted the other as soon as she opened . "Let me guess. You don't remember?" Jung Ah closed . "Why don't you just try it out? I'm sure your power will respond with your energy." Luna could see the controlled energy at Jung Ah's core. It was odd; it seemed suppressed, and it refused to truly reveal itself.

"I can't use my power if I don't know what to use it on," Jung Ah said shortly. Luna decided to let it go and went to sleep without questioning the girl any further.

 


When Luna woke up, the blankets beside her were empty and Jung Ah was nowhere to be found. Luna still didn't trust the girl, so she rushed to get ready and search for her. She found Jung Ah at the bonfire, conversing animatedly with Onew, who stood beside Jonghyun awkwardly. Eyes narrowed, Luna approached them slowly and casually eavesdropped.

"I've really never seen anyone manipulate the earth before! Can you demonstrate?"

"How can you remember seeing anyone manipulate anything if your memory's gone?" Jonghyun muttered loud enough for her to hear. Jung Ah shot him an unapproving look. "Fine, use it as an excuse to flirt, damn . . . Ah, Luna!" Jonghyun visibly brightened, rushing forward to throw his arms around the petite blonde. Luna's eyes nearly bulged out of her head as the short male squeezed her. "Aw, look at your bedhead!"

Luna hurriedly patted down her tangled mass of hair after she managed to free one arm from Jonghyun's hug. She caught Onew staring at them oddly, and Jung Ah too, with that infuriatingly blank stare. Jonghyun dropped Luna with a huge grin and poked her back hard so that she stumbled forward.

"Look, hyung!" he chirped. "Luna!"

"I can see that," Onew huffed.

"You can go with her. I'll stay with, uh, Sun Ah!"

"It's Jung Ah," she corrected, irritated. Her eyes flickered over to where Luna now stood next to Onew. "I want to go with them."

Luna glanced up at Onew, who couldn't seem to say no (then again, she couldn't say no either. That was rude, as much as she wanted to toss dirt in the other's face and refuse). With a sigh, she walked over to Jonghyun.

"Then I'll go with Jjong," Luna declared; she felt a secret twinge of gladness when Onew frowned. "You can go with Onew."

"Never mind. I'll go with Jonghyun-ssi, too, then."

Luna held back a nasty scowl. What was this girl? Didn't she want to stay with Onew? Luna let the gears in her mind work for a moment. Or perhaps, was she trying to stalk Luna? Her thoughts were interrupted by Onew clearing his throat loudly.

"Why don't we just all go together, then?" No one disagreed, so they did. Luna crossed her arms, staring at the ground as they walked. She simply couldn't shake the feeling of dread around this girl. She felt Onew's arm brush hers with a bit more force than usual, and she glanced up. He gave her a concerned look, which she returned with a reassuring smile.

The four continued walking around the underground city of Seoul, Jung Ah asking questions periodically. At one point, they ran into Hina and Taeyeon.

"New girl!" Hina stalked forward confidently, and Luna wondered how much her human sister had gone through to gain such sass. Or perhaps it just ran in the family. Hina seemed much more relaxed as she stood in front of Jung Ah, and Luna was reminded of the comment she had made before about being human. Luna sighed and glanced away from her twin guiltily. Maybe she would accept Jung Ah for now, so that her sister would have another close-to-normal friend. "How is it here?"

Jung Ah blinked. "It's great, compared to where I was before."

Luna's eyes narrowed.

"So you know?"

Jung Ah flinched, and her empty stare replaced her features immediately. She blinked again. Hina and Luna exchanged uncertain glances as Onew stepped forward. His eyebrows furrowed as Jung Ah stared directly at Luna, expression unwavering. Her lips parted, and then she spoke eerily.

"Subject Located - Luna - Park Sunyoung," Jung Ah uttered, voice soft and monotonous. Her irises glowed, and Luna stumbled back.

"Crap," she hissed.

Onew grabbed Jung Ah by the shoulders without hesitation, slamming her against the nearest tree and trapping the girl to the trunk with vines. Expressionless, Jung Ah froze and lifted her chin as the vines receded from her.

"What the heck?!" Onew gasped.

"I'm running for backup!" Jonghyun shouted, sprinting away. "Intruder - I mean - wait. No, we let her in. Backstabber!"

"Subject Named Luna has been found and will be brought back as soon as possible." Jung Ah lifted a hand almost robotically, eyes staring straight through Luna, and a blast of fire shot forward. Luna threw up her arms, the flames pushed around and behind her. When the heat died away, everyone was gaping at Jung Ah. Luna could see it now - the suppressed energy was now a bright and throbbing orb of power. "Subject has shown signs of resistance. Level of force will be enhanced."

Suddenly, Jung Ah had Luna pinned against a trunk, just like Onew had, except her forearms were keeping Luna from moving instead. Luna's eyes widened comically.

Earth manipulation . . . fire . . . super speed . . . super strength.

She couldn't possibly be an energy manipulator as well, right?

"Hybrid," Hina snarled. Luna glanced at her sister, startled. Hybrid? She vaguely recalled her telling Luna about those hybrids - robots - which the government was experimenting on. Still wide-eyed, Luna turned back to Jung Ah. So this girl had been poked and prodded at, genetically modified to give her those powers? Had she once been a normal human, too? Or an innocent Special?

Jung Ah's fingers wrapped around Luna's throat, squeezing hard. Luna choked, grabbing the other's wrists and struggling.

"Luna!" she heard Onew shout as she shoved Jung Ah away from her. This hybrid might have a lot of powers, but Luna knew that somehow and someway, she could control all of them.

", we let a hybrid infiltrate our hideout. We're doomed, guys! Goodbye, world! The government will be here any minute to shut us down!" Taeyeon shrieked.

"Get everybody out of Seoul now! We have no time," Hina ordered, grabbing the hysterical girl by her collars. She shook Taeyeon a few times before the shorter nodded and sprinted away.

Jung Ah had lunged for Luna again, a streak of freezing ice capturing the blonde's wrist. Luna clenched her fist and broke the hold, ducking forward to tackle Jung Ah to the ground. It was a messy battle of various powers, and Luna noticed that what Jung Ah controlled was limited to earth, fire, water, speed, and strength.

In minutes, Jonghyun returned with the original twelve, plus Taeyeon and Chanyeol.

"Where are the others?" Luna could hear Onew demand in the midst of it all.

"Suho's leading them away. Chanyeol and I are staying; we don't want to risk numbers, and many weren't willing to . . . risk it," Taeyeon admitted through her teeth. "I-Is Luna okay?"

"She tends to focus only on me, but yes, I'm more or less surviving!" Luna shouted, tossing Jung Ah aside. She managed to take a couple of breaths before she was pummeled with large stones. She could definitely feel several bruises all over. "Can you please just chill!" Luna let an avalanche of ice trap Jung Ah securely. In the icy blue cage, the hybrid glowed brightly in an effort to melt the ice.

Amber snorted. "I see what you did there." Everyone stared at her. "You know. She told her to chill. And then she was like wa-pah freeze ray. Was it just me?"

It was just Amber.

As soon as the ice melted, Luna was ready for another punch or two, but Jung Ah didn't move. She stood straight, eyes changing into multiple shades before settling down into its original color. Luna watched, intrigued, as Jung Ah's energy settled down as well, back into the core of her body like it was nothing again.

"Test Hybrid Number One has failed to commit and succeed in the task. Retreat for further stimulation of abilities."

"No!" Luna lunged forward, along with Onew and Hina, to hold Jung Ah - or whatever it was - back, but the hybrid had already sped off. Luna didn't bother chasing her.

"I couldn't even tell she was one of their little experiments," Taeyeon breathed. Panting, Luna stumbled forward. Onew automatically caught her by her shoulders, steadying her, and she sank into his warmth.

"They're getting better at masking their true form. Humanifying them, besides the whole repeating their orders thing," Chanyeol muttered. "We ran into a couple of them on some missions, but they never got inside. I wonder how they found us."

"What if they found the passed out Normals and investigated?" Krystal gasped, but Hina shook her head, waving off the concerns.

"If anything, they could have processed or used a Special with X-ray vision or something. We would've been found out at some point. I can only hope that Suho can find the others a quiet place to settle and pretend they're human. At least for a while."

Luna ran her hands through her hair and stepped away from Onew. She sighed heavily. "This . . . is going a lot faster than I expected."

"I agree. There's no choice now," Hina stated firmly. The others glanced at the twins warily, unsure of what was happening.

"What do you mean?" Victoria asked for everyone else.

"We're going to America."

"Now."







 

AUTHOR'S NOTE


Oh, no she DI-DN'T

Haha, I had to use Jung Ah because I ran out of girls.

DID YOU GUYS SEE LUNA AND AMBER DURING THEIR PERFORMANCE OF SHAKE THAT BRASS?
SOMEBODY CATCH ME I'M ABOUT TO PASS OUT

OMIGAH

If one day I have a designated Minho to catch me when I faint
I would probably faint

AWWWWW HE SO CUTE IN THIS GIF

I'm using all these SHINee gifs because I've been stalking these SHINee blogs lately
shoutout to aegyo-shinee and jinkijeans for posting gifs of these perfections
There are a lot of REALLY good SHINee blogs and they're two of them for me personally

Also if some of you saw I accidentally posted this chapter when it was supposed to be a draft

sweats
Whoops.
Mucho sorry for the late update because life is hard.
I feel like I'm tired everyday despite getting enough sleep
Sigh.

sigh

I hope you guys enjoyed the chapter despite the utter LATENESS OF IT
I was so happy when I finished omg I'm sooooooo sorry
I'm going to keep apologizing because it was so late

omfg

Goodbye~