Shadow

Special

[ Luna ]


Onew took his seat beside Jonghyun, smiling at Luna invitingly as he gestured to the empty chair beside him. She sat, although every fiber of her being was warning her to stay cautious. People with smiles as bright as his were people that could easily be trusted. Too easily, in Luna's opinion. Trusting the Specials here, in Luna's complex way of thinking, meant trusting the government. So she was on guard.

"Did you get lunch yet?" Sulli asked, jerking Luna from her thoughts. A sheepish smile graced her features.

"No. The line seems too long," Luna admitted. Her smile faded into a puzzled frown when Onew pushed his plate towards her.

"That's why you have to get here a bit early," he advised her. "You can share some of my lunch. The garlic bread here is the best."

"No thanks," Luna said. "I'm not hungry." That was a lie. She'd barely gotten any food on the ride to this place. Onew seemed to sense the fib, because he gave her a pointed look until she picked up one of the slices of garlic bread. She ignored the way Jonghyun shouldered Onew with a pointed look.

"After this, we'll be headed to the sparring rooms in Building A," Amber announced, placing a hand on Krystal's shoulder. "This girl wants to get in the ring." Krystal pushed her platinum blonde hair out of her face with a smile, which faltered when she met Minho's eyes. He was frowning.

"I just want to get some practice in," Krystal said aloud, although it seemed like she was talking to him only. "I'm fine being a Level Six, but I haven't trained in a long time." She looked down at the table and pursed her lips. Everyone simply nodded and went back to their own separate conversations, but Luna watched as Minho continued to glare at Krystal's lowered head. He wasn't glaring at her, Luna could tell, and she could also tell that Krystal could feel his gaze on her.

Luna flinched slightly when warm breath met her ear.

"It's complicated," Onew's uniquely angelic voice sounded softly. Luna glanced up at him questioningly. "You noticed Minho and Krystal, too, right?" Luna faltered, then nodded. That dazzling smile flashed again, and she tried to focus intensely on the food in her hands. "Krystal is the youngest here, and she hangs out with Sulli because she's the second-youngest. Minho likes to say that he feels protective of her, as an older brother."

Raising an eyebrow, Luna gave Onew a dubious look. Just an older brother? Really?

"I know," Onew snorted. "We all know. But we have to let them figure it out. Those three - Minho, Sulli, and Krystal - knew each other before they were even admitted here. Before the government found them. Their history goes way back, so I trust they know each other better than we do."

The two fell into a comfortable silence as they ate. As the ten walked to Building A, Luna decided to ask.

"What exactly are the sparring rooms?"

"Specials work on their abilities in confined rooms. It uses the two-sided mirror technology so that we can see inside, but the people can't see out until after the fight. We always have Normals watching us, but they aren't there to make sure someone doesn't die. They're only there to evaluate whether or not you can boost up a level." Victoria paused. "In fact, they don't really care if you're killed outside of the ring either. Unless you're a high level."

"Because if you're a high class Special, the government wants you for a weapon," Jonghyun finished.

Luna knew that that was exactly why the government was keeping her.

As they entered the main building, she realized that there was a crowd of people heading the same way behind them.

"Are these battles usually this popular?" she asked, eyes darting back.

"Mm, the Specials usually watch only if their friends are there or they're bored. It's particularly crowded when one of the higher Specials like us are competing," Onew explained, glancing back at the mob behind them. "But I think it's especially attracting attention today since you're coming, too." Luna wasn't the type to start blushing if a guy complimented her, but it was a nice praise.

They entered a wide room lined with cushioned bleachers. It faced a huge window that showed a white room, black lines running across the expanse. Luna could see some of the stiff pandas Normals in one corner, opening up a tile to access a control panel. As they moved their gloved hands over the buttons, the scenery inside changed from an empty, white room, to a wrestling ring, then to your average living room. Luna followed everyone else as they took seats at the front, Krystal walking past them.

Luna's eyes followed her to the corner of the viewing room. A door opened, and a Normal led her inside. Seconds later, she appeared inside the living-room-that-was-once-an-empty-white-room-until-technology-changed-it. Minho got up to join Krystal, obviously trying to convince her not to do this.

"Uh-oh," Onew said under his breath. "Minho is going to be pissed. It looks like the others are here."

Others? Luna glanced at the door they had entered from, and five boys walked in. Behind them came four more girls, and they all had a similar feel. Somewhat exotic, powerful, and confident. A girl with blue hair, one side longer than the other, spotted Onew and immediately walked over to him.

"Hey, flower boy," she greeted, eyes raking over Luna briefly. "Are you ready for a rematch?"

"Already, Dara?" Onew responded, laughing. He shook his head. "No, I'm here to watch Krystal."

"Ooh, Krys? That means she's going to go against my boy, GD," Dara said. A blond walked up to her and wrapped his arms around her waist. Dara looked at Luna and pointed to the boy. "This is GD."

"G-Dragon. The dorm leader," Luna greeted. "I'm Luna."

"We know," a girl with red hair said as she took a seat behind Luna. "Everyone knows about you now. Miss Level Ten."

"Ten plus," Key corrected, shooting Luna a critical stare.

"I'm Minzy," the redhead greeted. "I'm a fire manipulator, but unlike Minho, I'm only Level Six. I just can't seem to control it the way he does." Minzy began to introduce everyone, pointing her finger casually. "Dara here is an ice manipulator."

"There's a difference between ice and water," Sulli informed her, "but it's pretty much the same at some point."

"This girl here is our leader, CL." This girl was a blonde, but her hair was more golden compared to Krystal's platinum strands and Jonghyun's practically white hair. "Teleportation. Level Six, since she is usually within a distance in teleporting. This one is Bom. I like the name, it's like bomb, because her power literally just explodes."

Luna's eyes widened comically. She quickly blinked several times, trying to compose her facial expression when Onew burst out laughing.

"No, she doesn't blow things up," Minzy reassured Luna. "She has shield powers, and when she throws it out, it goes pang! Like a bomb of force fields," Minzy said, waving her fingers in the air animatedly. "Really useful. Level Five because it's mostly a defense mechanism."

"Eh? I can use it as offense, too! I just choose not to," Bom harrumphed.

"Yeah, yeah." Minzy waved her off. She moved on to the guys, and Luna learned that T.O.P., the highest level along with Minho and Victoria, was what he called a time keeper. For a limited amount of time, he could slow down objects, slow down and speed up himself, and get access to the past.

"I don't have control of what happens in the future, which is why I can't speed up other things or go into the future. And I can't affect what happens in the past so it will cause something in the future, or my power turns against me," the dark-haired male said, eyeing Luna curiously. She wanted to shrink away from all their gazes.

Taeyang was a Level Seven sound manipulator, and Daesung could control animals. He was a Level Five. Seungri was a Level Six portal manipulator. He was higher than CL because he had a farther range to open up portals, and he could move more than just himself. G-Dragon, the one to fight Krystal, was a shadow manipulator. Luna wasn't sure how that would work, but she supposed it must've worked efficiently since he was a Level Eight.

"So what do you do?"

Ah, there it was. Luna had been waiting warily for that question to pop up, because it always did. She smiled tightly, not answering for a few seconds, but the others waited for her to say something.

"She's not spilling," Onew answered for her with a careless shrug. "She's not even telling me. Don't look forward to it. Good luck, GD."

"Good luck?" Minho had come back out of the room, obviously unsuccessful in convincing Krystal to back out. "Does that mean you're going against her?" He pressed his finger against G-Dragon's chest. The latter tilted his head and gave a big smile, nodding once as he raised his eyebrows. "What? Krystal can not go against someone two levels higher than her!" Sulli sighed in exasperation, rolling her eyes and grabbing her brother's wrist. She tugged him to sit down as the others took their seats one row above.

"You have to trust Krystal, oppa. She's not that little girl we used to know in grade school anymore, gosh," Sulli groaned. Nonetheless, Minho continued to glare at GD's back, even when the door closed behind the blond and he had entered the "living" room.

"Stop shooting daggers through my boyfriend, Ho," Dara sang, tapping Minho with her shoe.

"You just want him to beat her to get revenge on my leader for whipping you this morning," Minho spat bitterly, crossing his arms.

"Ouch," Taeyang commented with a little wince. "Don't mess with him, Sandara."

 

~

 

Everyone silmutaneously hissed as Krystal's body hit the window, falling to the ground immediately. Eyes turned to Minho, whose once chocolate brown orbs were flaring with lava red, fists clenched.

"Minho, you're going to burn holes through your jeans," Key said gently, trying to calm his friend down. Minho slapped at the telepathic's hands, Key pulling back with an insulted "ow!"

Krystal got up slowly, hand pressing onto the wall for support. G-Dragon had his arms held out, black clouds swirling around him as he grinned wickedly. Luna let out a breath she hadn't realized she'd been holding when Krystal took a few stable steps. She was okay. GD jumped over the coffee table, pouncing on Krystal with the shadow mist in his hand starting to go around . Through the speakers, everyone jumped as they heard Krystal cry out.

But it wasn't a shout of pain; she screeched as her elbow made contact with her opponent's cheek. She brought her hand out, and a lamp flew over, knocking G-Dragon over the head with a sickening crash. Dara stood from her seat instantly, only to be pulled down by CL.

"He's fine, see?" the blonde assured her as the boy clutched his head and stumbled forward. Krystal quickly brought her arm around, the table flying across the room. For a horrifying second, Luna thought Krystal was going to smoosh GD against the glass using the table; it would've been really awkward to see the boy's face pressed against the window, face contorted and cheeks squished.

Then again, Luna should've brought a camera if that was going to happen.

Instead, Krystal brought up the table in front of her, using it as protection.

"The girl really doesn't like to hurt people," Taemin muttered, leaning forward in anticipation as the fight continued. GD moved his hands from his head, revealing the blood running down his forehead. Luna cringed. The boy took another step forward and let a blast of dark shadows go over the table with a deep, bellowing battle cry. Krystal dived to the side, rolling behind a couch and using her telekenisis to hit GD with a remote. She raced to the bookshelf and focused, her hands trembling as all the picture frames, books, and knick-knacks rose from their position on the shelves, surrounding her.

"What are you trying to do, girlie?" GD teased, shadows crawling along the floor toward her at a tense pace. Krystal waited stiffly as a black tendril wrapped around her ankle.

"What is she doing, what is she doing?" Minho whispered as the shadow tightened around her leg. The objects were still floating around her, no help in defense at all. GD jerked his arm back, laughing maniacally as the shadow tripped her.

"UGH!" Krystal whipped around as she fell, all the objects acting as a series of onslaughts shooting towards the other. GD looked as if he were being hit by bullets as the frames and books collided with him. There must've been a lot of force in the blow. For a second, Luna thought Krystal really had a chance. The girl pushed herself up with her thin arms shakily, awfully strong despite being skinny.

Then, GD roared, letting a shadow crash over him like a wave, coming straight towards Krystal.

"STOP!" she screeched in perfect English. The shadow froze, and GD popped up from under the black wave like a seal.

"What?"

"Oh, my god," Krystal continued, pushing her bright hair away as she fanned herself. "Yup. I'm done here. So out."

The anxiety and concentration of the audience instantly deflated as the living room transformed back into the original white room. Krystal and G-Dragon shook hands, both looking completely spent as they trudged out of the battle room. Everyone began clapping and showering them with compliments.

"You actually had a really good chance of beating him!" Amber shouted insistently. "I mean, you could've died at some moments, too, but that's not the point." Krystal smiled at all of their comments, shrugging now and then. Then she looked at Minho, who was simply shaking his head.

"You're never doing that again, okay?" Minho ordered. "Even though I know you won't listen . . ." Her smile deflated, and something flickered in Minho's eyes. He sighed, but then his hard expression was back suddenly. "Is that a bruise on your cheek?" Krystal put a hand to the left side of her face.

"Oppa," Sulli said, examining the light coloring on Krystal's perfect skin. "It's barely noticable, though."

"It'll get worse. We have to get it checked!" Minho declared. Luna loved watching their interactions. It was like watching a drama.

"No, we have to get GD checked! We're taking you to the medical center. Now," Dara commanded, dragging GD out of the room. He simply shrugged when Krystal tried to apologize for the cut on his forehead. The others from Building D and E followed the two.

"So, how did you like it? The whole concept of battling," Onew inquired. Luna jumped at the sound of his voice.

"It's . . . interesting," Luna said slowly. She wouldn't do it willingly, exactly.

"I know. I wouldn't volunteer for this unless it was absolutely necessary, too," Onew said. Luna gaped at him.

"Are you sure Key's the one who can read minds? Out! Out!" Luna declared, covering her head. "Who has foil manipulation power here?! Someone get me a foil hat or something!"

Everyone stared at her, but she was far too disturbed by the fact that Onew could read her so easily. She didn't like that someone else could tell what she was thinking or feeling like she was an open book.

What she wasn't aware of was that Onew simply understood her.

 

 

[ Onew ]


While Minho and Sulli brought Krystal to the medical center to check out her tiny bruise, Victoria announced that she was heading to the Main City. Onew took one glance at Luna's confused expression and explained that it was a small section of this confinement, which was actually really big. If you walked down the path to the left of the main building, you would reach Main City, which was a place that contained the library and restaurants and whatnot.

"No way. I'm knocking out at the dorms," Amber announced, rubbing her neck.

"I'm going back, too," Key decided, along with Jonghyun and Taemin. "Hyung?" Onew shook his head. He wasn't sure where he wanted to go, but he wasn't quite ready to retire to bed yet. Maybe he would head to the Main City later on for dinner as well. "All right. Luna?" Onew turned to the new girl, who wrinkled her nose in thought. Up close, he realized, she was pretty cute. Not as intimidating as he had once thought.

"I think I'm going to look around some more," she finally said.

"I'll help you," Onew offered. He ignored Jonghyun, who glanced at him knowingly. The boy kept teasing him about flirting with Luna, but that wasn't how Onew was trying to approach at all. He was just being friendly.

Just.

Being.

Friendly.

"Um . . . sure," Luna agreed. Onew deflated a bit when Luna hesitated. He guessed she wasn't that attracted to him. As a friend. That's what he meant.

Onew and Luna ended up walking to Main City. They decided to look for Victoria, walking along the streets as the sun set.

"We should look for some food, too," Onew decided. Luna nodded eagerly, still hungry after only eating two pieces of garlic bread for lunch. Onew smiled as he stopped at a fast food restaurant. He ordered fried chicken, giving the cash as he received the bucket.

[I had to add the chicken. I know Onew's not addicted but . . . It's an Onew fic. I had to add the chicken.]

The two ate in comfortable silence as they walked. Onew figured that Luna didn't really talk much, so he told her about himself.

"My parents used to own a meat shop. They loved me very much and knew about what I could do, ever since they found me making a bed of roots for a few stray dogs I found. In thin air." Onew smiled at the sky as he reminisced. "Mm, they kept it a secret and managed to until I was in high school. My neighbors caught me while I was saving a cat from a tree. I should've jumped or climbed I guess, instead of making the branch grow two feet downwards."

"You're good with plants and animals, I'm noticing," Luna noted. They shared a laugh. He found hers pleasant, and he decided that he liked the way her eyes and mouth looked when she smiled.

"I was sent to this place in my second year of high school. I met Jonghyun and Taemin first, and Minho and Key came later. When it came to voting, they thought I was the most responsible, surprisingly. Then again, I was the one who went from a Level Two to Level Seven in a couple months."

Luna arched one brow as she bit off a piece of chicken.

"Did Victoria warn you not to get me angry yet?" Luna nodded. "Well, don't. In fact, don't get any of the Specials angry. The human race is not one you want to mess with, especially our type of humans." The two continued to talk and joke as they walked. Onew managed to get some small snippets of Luna's life as they conversed.

They were along these lines:

"Super boring."

"Pretty much a load of crap."

"Mental institution, probably."

Onew simply smiled, not questioning or pushing for more information. He could tell that Luna was grateful for that. In the end, they couldn't find Victoria anywhere. With a sigh, he started to go back to the dorms. Luna stopped him partway and pointed to a figure in the distance, racing towards them.

"ONEW! ONEW, wait for me!" a girl's voice called.

Onew froze, tugging on Luna's wrist. "If I asked you to run right now, would you be able to keep up with me?"

"Hell yeah," Luna scoffed. "I would probably beat you. But why? Isn't that girl calling for y-"

"Start running," Onew said shortly, taking off. He felt a little guilty when Luna gasped and started to race alongside him.

"What the hell?! Can you at least explain first?!" She broke off, throwing her hands in the air. "Oh, yeah, it was such a great idea to eat a bucket of greasy fried chicken before running from a girl. What, is she the spawn of a demon or something?!"

"Maybe worse," Onew panted, picking up the pace when he realized that the girl was running behind them, too. "She's my ex."

 

 

 

 

AUTHOR'S NOTE


SHOCKED

Okay, first of all. Wow. I did not expect to see this many subscribers or feedback.

Like. Right away.

I mean, I know I asked for it, but I wasn't expecting it.

When I saw the notifications on my phone, I was just like

yo, hold my watermelon, somebody

I must fangirl. And then I kept seeing the notifications go orange and I just

GASPPPPP

SUDDEN CAGE OF EMOTIONS RELEASED

I knew I was excited for this fic, but I'm glad to know you guys are, too!

And by the way, I just chose Daragon because I saw the tags here and there

So I thought, why not?

If you guys have a request for any pairings, I'll consider them!

Daragon~

Speaking of which, please fill out the following poll for Minstal

I want to know if I should have a few chapters focused on these two characters

I have a sort of plot in my mind for them, and I want to post it in here, but I don't want it to affect you guys too badly.

Minstal Poll, people

And you can obviously see that I'm going to have a love rival for Luna.

ooooooh

I'm thinking it should be Jung-ah, since there had been rumors about her and Onew?

I really don't know. Can you guys leave me some suggestions in the comments?

No story today, guys! Sorry! See you next time~

bai-bai~