Symptoms

Special

[ Onew ]


"I think I'm going to be sick," Onew declared. "Nevermind, I'm currently sick." He quickly ran for the edge of the cruise ship and promptly hurled into the sea. He felt a rough kick to his spine and choked.

"Don't dirty the water any more than it needs to be!" Sulli snapped.

Onew made a sound in his throat that was supposed to sound indignant but only led to some gagging. He felt a soft pat on his shoulder and glanced up to the side, through his bangs, to see Luna wrinkling her nose at him. This was not the best image he wanted her to see. He groaned and looked back into the shifting waves. Not a good idea. More vomit.

He had managed to survive the first twenty minutes of the cruise, but then Sulli was distracted by dolphins and the boat lurched - along with Onew's stomach.

"Sulli, you don't have to work on speeding up the ship anymore," Minho told his sister, ruffling her hair. The younger slapped his hand away with a huff. "I think we should give Onew's tummy a rest, and the people on this ship paid for a nice, long vacation. We're not in a hurry."

"Well we paid for a quick trip to America - wait, no, we didn't pay. We technically snuck on, so we're not even supposed to be here. But anyways, we're trying to save a whole race here," Sulli protested. She knew she had no point; she just liked arguing, especially with her older brother.

"Just find an empty room, guys," Hina ordered, "and those who can't, Chanyeol and Taeyeon will be housing the leftovers in one of the supply rooms just below deck."

"Leftovers," Key scoffed. He was ignored.

When Onew thought he could walk in a straight line again, most of them had left to find their rooms already. Taemin and Amber were completely fine with sleeping in a closet, so they wandered off to enjoy the luxuries. Onew straightened and was (not very) surprised to see Luna leaning against the railing beside him.

"There are some Normals on this boat" was the first thing she said. Onew smiled weakly. "They probably have Normals on all the boats leaving Korea. Planes, too. Looking for us." She turned to look Onew straight in the eyes. "Looking for me. And they're on this one."

"That's nice," Onew giggled.

"Is it possible to be drunk off seasickness?" Luna wondered aloud as she helped Onew up from the railing. He leaned heavily against her, trying not to sway. "I'm pretty sure the others left me with you on purpose. s."

Angels, he corrected her mentally. Luna managed to find a room with no signs of energy inside and apparently used "telekinesis" to unlock it. She let Onew fall onto the bed and roll around while whining.

"Stop moving around. That's not going to help." Luna opened the porthole, and Onew wondered if salty sea air would help him, fresh or not. "The cruise is going to be quite a long one, since there will be some stops. Do you think you can handle it?"

Onew grunted in response. Luna crossed her arms and stared out into the moving sea, eyes narrowed.

"Who can we trust now?" Luna smiled when a confused silence met her. "I mean, I was useless when it came to that hybrid - Jung Ah. They've tapped into the Specials' energy source, learned how to control it, so I can't tell what sort of energy they have until it's too late. And all those powers. They'll simply combine anything, maybe everything. Then what good am I?"

She turned to see Onew squinting at her, still looking sick but also calculating. Onew waved her over, patting the spot beside him on the bed.

"Do I have to kiss some sense into you again?"

"What?!" Luna picked up the nearest object - an alarm clock - and chucked it at him. She leaned back as a precaution.

"Ow," Onew complained, tossing the alarm clock away from him. "I'm serious. You're much stronger than those hybrids, Luna - physically and mentally. They're just robots programmed to do what they're told, but you have a passion. A reason. And you control energy, damn it. They might be able to hack others' energy, but they haven't captured an energy manipulator, right?"

"The scientists are getting closer to figuring it out. What if they don't need me to produce a poweful, energy-manipulating, super-charged-"

A quick peck, not nearly as long as their first - Luna turned red - kiss, but it shut her up nonetheless. Onew grinned mischeviously and leaned forward, making to steal another press of their lips, most likely. Luna quickly hit his forehead with the heel of her palm.

"Ow. Again," Onew huffed.

"No, I got it, now. My common sense is back. I'm good. I don't even know why I questioned my abilities. Thank you. Very much. I should go now and rethink my whole life and my decisions." Speed walking for the door, Luna left hastily without sparing a glance back. Onew couldn't help but smile to himself, snuggling back into the sheets. The boat rocked suddenly, and he clapped a hand over his mouth.

Crud. It was a good thing that the rooms had bathrooms.
 

~
 

By the time Onew was able to walk on his own again, everyone was sitting cruise ship's banquet hall. Onew nearly threw up again as he was met with the extravagant room, but not from seasickness. Victoria waved him over to their two conjoined tables, and he settled between Taemin and Chanyeol.

"This makes me feel sick. Imagine how much the tickets would cost to get on this ship," Onew choked, glancing around. The banquet hall was enormous, two stories with a balcony around the wall so the vacationers could settle by the window. The place was amazingly clean, and everything seemed to be clear and sparkly crystal.

"Yep, but it's a good thing we didn't pay to get here," Amber chirped. Victoria immediately clapped a hand over Amber's eyes; Onew figured she hadn't used her poison manipulation when she glared at the other, but there was certainly venom in her stare.

"Can you eat?" Luna asked. She wasn't sitting at Onew's table, but at the one next to his. But she was directly behind him, so he was satisfied.

"Yes," Onew replied eagerly, eyeing the expensive-looking steak that Jonghyun was scarfing down. "But . . . how can we afford this?"

He dreaded the smirk that slowly curved Key's lips.

"Don't tell me you played with someone's head again."

"Nonsense," Key gasped, obviously lying. "But let's just say everyone has an all expenses paid card in their pockets now." Eyes shifted away from Onew's glower guiltily. "Hyung, come on. We don't want everyone to starve, and it's not like we have money. Plus, I didn't steal them from anyone. Krystal managed to sweet talk one of the crew members, and then I sort of. Got them to give us the cards."

"What?" Minho deadpanned.

Onew shook his head, waving off the subject. Key handed him his own card, which he used to order a much needed meal. He tapped his fingers against the white-clothed table in order to calm his hunger. He'd taken a long (and also desired) nap on an empty stomach, and it was now growling to express its disagreement with that decision. It was a lot more painful watching everyone else eat, so his eyes happened to wander to the one person who was barely eating anything.

Luna poked her fork at her side dish, eyes staring off into the distance. Frowning, Onew shifted a bit in his seat and rested his forearm on the back of his chair. Then he sat quietly, blinking until Luna took notice of him.

" . . . What?" she mumbled, stuffing a piece of lettuce into .

"What are you thinking about?" Onew muttered back.

"Food." The answer was short and followed by a faint blush on her cheeks. Onew smiled, almost relieved. So she wasn't stressing over something trivial. Which meant she was thinking about him, perhaps? His smile widened. "Stop grinning like that. You look like a creep."

"Hyung is a creep," Taemin noted through a mouthful of pork, elbowing his leader. Rubbing his side with a scowl, Onew turned back around. His scowl was once again replaced with another bright smile when his food arrived just on time. He realized, then, that Hina was sitting across from him. And looking at him in a not-so-nice way. "That's the look girls use when they want to kill you."

"Why does she want to kill me?" Onew's eyes narrowed at the younger. "And how do you know that?"

"Because you're making moves on her long lost little twin, duh. And I had some girlfriends in middle school." Taemin rolled his eyes like it was no big deal.

Onew met Hina's murderous gaze and bowed his head sweetly before digging into his meal. Her gaze turned disgusted, but he shrugged it off. He had more important things to worry about, like battling the top-notch technology of Americans and potentially saving the world and savoring this amazingly flavorful steak.


~
 

There was a whopping fourteen Specials plus one human crowded in Luna's room. Onew wasn't usually claustrophobic, but with the cruise ship swaying like this, he didn't know if he would last. He sat at the corner of the bed, head leaning against the wall and hugging a stiff pillow tightly. He kicked away T.O.P.'s feet, which had settled close to him.

"The Normals are definitely close," Luna announced.

"When I checked, a couple of staff members had connections to the government," Key whispered. Onew noticed and waved to Bom.

"Can you set up a force field for a sound barrier?" She complied immediately, flicking her wrist towards the door and walls.

"As soon as we land on America's coast, we leave in separate groups. Cover up and try not to look too suspicious," Hina begged. "We land on the West Coast."

"West Coast?" Amber piped up. "I have some connections. We should meet at the Hollywood sign."

"Are you kidding me? That's a dead giveaway!" Krystal protested.

"The Hollywood sign is ancient now. Like, early 2000s. Just like Seoul. I used to know some Specials who lived in L.A., and they basically had a hideout, too. Just not as underground - but, anyways, trust me on this, guys."

"We should put our faith in Amber for now. She did originally come from America," sighed Krystal. The others knew that Krystal had been an on and off resident of America, due to her parents.

The others began to separate into their own conversations, discussing seriously. Onew sat hugging his pillow firmly; he liked to think to himself. America. It had been a long time, but he felt himself growing nervous as sudden memories hit him. He blinked several times before letting his eyes wander to Luna yet again (he needed to stop doing that). She was staring seriously at him, and he quirked his eyebrow up. He was shocked; she was almost never looking back.

"Do some of the Specials you know have connections?" Onew was sure her question was directed to Amber, but she was still staring straight at him. The room quieted down, and Amber shrugged uncertainly.

"What type of connections?"

"My parents could be anywhere; the answer to our problems could be anywhere in America. I figured we needed some more information to find out where to go," Luna explained. She continued to stare at Onew, eyebrows scrunching together in confusion. Onew realized that she must've felt something come off from him when he thought about - he shuddered.

"Okay, I admit it. I know someone." Onew rolled his eyes in annoyance when everyone glanced at him. Damn it. He really didn't want to talk about this. "Ugh. This girl . . ." Onew rubbed his hand to his forehead in frustration when everyone raised their eyebrows at him. "No, it's not that. Eunsook and I are just . . . ugh." His eyes narrowed in distaste.

"Ah! Eunsook-noona!" Jonghyun clapped his hands together. When Onew nodded in confirmation, Jonghyun clapped his hands together and burst out laughing. "I remember you telling me about her!" He laughed some more, jumping on the bed and burying his head in Key's calf. The latter slapped him away in irritation, turning a curious gaze to Onew.

"Eunsook? Who's that?"

"A human, but she works pretty close to the government. She's a good person, though, definitely, but . . ." Onew dreaded admitting this, so he buried his head in between his knees. "In the past-"

"Oh, my god," Krystal gasped (in English, Onew noted). "You had a past with this Eunsook girl?" Luna slapped the younger girl's shoulder, muttering something about not being nosy.

Onew brought his head up and stared at Krystal as if he were going to throw up again. Ew. Then he met Luna's questioning gaze and cleared his throat.

"No! Gross. Eunsook is . . . okay, when we were little and she still lived in Korea, people said we looked like twins. But we're not! She's just my cousin, okay? She's just, maybe, a little bit weird. But she's super smart, which is why she went overseas to study and scored a pretty official job in America." Onew let his bottom lip jut out. "So if we look scarily alike, she looks like me, okay?! And not the other way around! And she acts pretty off, too, but it's not genetic! It's just her!"

In all honesty, it had been so long since he'd talked to his older cousin. He hadn't seen her since she left for America, and their letters and e-mails were brief and sent after long periods of time. While in their prison, he had never been allowed to send or receive communications as well. He almost forgot that he was related to someone in America. His only family had been the other Specials beside him at this moment; he had forgotten most of his past. He was getting a headache from suddenly remembering: his cousin, his old school and friends, the meatshop his parents used to own before they lost it because of him . . .

"So basically you're worried we'll think you look like a girl. And that you're crazy," Taemin snickered. Low and muffled snorts echoed throughout the tiny room. Onew narrowed his eyes and nodded slowly.


"Don't worry, Onew. We already think that," Minho chuckled almost pityingly, patting his leader's shoulder. Onew turned his glare on the taller.

"I will literally throw you off this boat."




 

AUTHOR'S NOTE


Um. That part where they're at the banquet hall
I might have been a bit hungry typing that up
Then again I'm always hungry

yum go bois eat

Also YES I USED EUNSOOK
I couldn't think of another freaking girl who would fit the role
Plus I put enough jealousy-pieces in this fic
Let Onew have a chill cousin

eheheuheuheueh ewwww still cute

Ehuehuehuehueheuhe....
And in all honesty, I was thinking
"Ok, why did Onew not remember his cousin before they mentioned America"
So I produced some flashback and explanation (whispers: not really)

Anyways
I am obsessed with Red Velvet's Ice Cream Cake
And 4Minute's Crazy
And I really want to make a choreography but I'm too lazy and untalented

yes go

This chapter isn't really a filler but it's nothing too big
Not YET don't coMPLAIN TOO MUCH

lunew gif

Plans for the future MWUAHAHAHA and using lunew gifs bc I can
So, yes, I'm trying to update frequently. Everyone's out on spring break
I'm here at home. Doing anything related to kpop in my room

amazing~ wait. no.

also hAPPY BIRTHDAY JJONG

y jjong
happy jjong
cutie jjong

Thanks for reminding me, asarielsims, kekeke

Thanks for reading and putting up with the fail updates
ALL ONEW CHAPTER BC ONEWWWW = BIAS
Bai~ until next time