023

The Missing Pieces

NOW

APRIL 2017

 

A lot of different yhings were going through Naeun’s mind at this point of her life – her wedding just got trashed, literally, and she even received a couple of bruises on her arms and on the back to prove that – and despite having safely arrived at her house by the limo that first took her to the chapel, Naeun still felt like she was not quite ‘settled’, and the raging emotions inside couldn’t keep her head straight.

She even thought of going back to the chapel and give that woman a couple of sharp jabs down like she used to watch on TV but she knew better than to humiliate herself even further.

Naeun was home, but she was not carrying anything with her. Her hand phone, inside her purse were left inside the bride’s room, and she was certain everyone was trying to reach her by now after she disappeared earlier. And honestly, maybe she was fortunate to accidentally leave her belongings behind. She wished not to talk to anyone inside or outside her family for the time being. She needed some time on her own.

She then walked over to her room, stripped down her dirt-dipped expensive wedding dress just in front of the bathroom door before stepping in for a hot shower.

She needed to wash off all this painful memories she had today, and may God give her a cleansed heart and a peace of mind after all this terrible misery.

 

THIS was not supposed to happen. Everything – his wedding –was supposed to run smoothly without any objections or disruption, and by 12 PM he was supposed to be Naeun’s official husband.

But Lana happened, but it was his own fault. He shouldn’t have told Lana about his wedding. He should’ve known Lana was still sick for the news and her illness would ruin almost everything he planned for. Minhyuk however loathed to even considering putting the blame on his girlfriend, so instead he took a great gasp of air and slowly breathed out to calm his raging emotions.

Minhyuk sighed again, and he looked down at sleeping Lana on the hospital bed. The private room was quiet, and his parents have isolated him ever since the embarrassing occasion that took place earlier happened. He didn’t care about his parents though. He wanted to make sure Lana was fine first, and then only would he think what to do next. Everything has tangled up into a knot and he definitely needed more time to fix it. He couldn’t back out now. He needed to stay focused and let time heal everything.

That’s right. He just needed some time. Then, everything will fall back into its place.

 

“NAEUN?” He asked, slightly startled to have seen her looking rather hopeful when he first opened the door. “Hi? Wait – don’t you have a wedding reception at 7 today?”

“Can I come in?” She asked again, avoiding Jongin’s question.

Jongin fret, befuddled, and looked down to glance at his wrist watch. The time was 6.30, and Naeun showing up in his doorway suggested to him that something was rather going wrongly today about Naeun’s wedding. Or maybe he was just overthinking things.

“How’d you know where I live?”

“You do realize we live in the same apartment building.”

“No, I mean where’d you get my apartment number?”

“I downloaded your resume in the elevator just now.”

“Oh, okay,” Jongin said absent mindedly, shrugging his shoulder. He walked towards the couch instinctively, and ushered Naeun to have a seat.

“So - where were you from?”

Naeun gasped momentarily, wondered why Jongin would think so. Judging by Jongin’s gaze that fell indirectly onto her outfit made Naeun realized why he had said so.

“I was not having my evening jog or anything,” Naeun answered, eyes looking around the neat apartment. She diverted her way from the couch to the TV set in front and naturally got immersed into looking at the photo frames arranged in a straight line. She picked one up - a photo of Jongin and his other classmates in college and was surprised to see the girl he walked with the other day was also in the shot. She then put back the photo, trying to remain quiet and picked up another.

“Where’s your husband?” Jongin asked from behind, and his tone of voice somehow has managed to shock both of them.

Naeun turned around, but Jongin was too close to her that she almost bumped into his chest. Jongin took a step back, cautious, as he allowed Naeun some space.

“I don’t know,” Naeun shrugged, natural, and walked over to the couch. “Jongin, can I have something to drink, please?”

Jongin looked down at Naeun and noticed something strange from the way she avoided his eye contact. Ever since she was here she has been looking at somewhere else and pretended to be occupied with it rather than making actual conversation with him and look him in the eyes.

“Is something - wrong? Are you alright?” He tried to control his expression when he asked this, and looked carefully into her eyes but he could see nothing. She was putting up a good fight, perhaps, and Naeun being this defensive did not make Jongin any less relieved.

“I am, Jongin,” Naeun almost chuckled, and nodded to reassure him. “Trust me. I’m just thirsty.”

“You’re just thirsty?”

“Can’t I be thirsty?”

“No. I’m just very confused right now. You just got married, Naeun. You’re not supposed to be with some single guy in his house, alone.”

“You’re not gonna do anything weird to me, right?” Naeun squinted her eyes, pulling her jacket in her grip.

“You’re crazy,” Jongin scoffed as he shook his head away, slightly dumbfounded by Naeun’s words and headed into the kitchen to serve her some cold drinks.

“That kinda has been established, Jongin.”

 

JIHOO was just as flustered and mind blown and angry as his wife was, but he needed to keep his composure and not break down or scream at everything. Sofia on the other hand has been dwelling in her heavy sobs and couldn’t stop hugging onto Naeun’s morning outfit that she wore this morning before changing into the wedding gown. But everything felt so out of his control. They have been circling around Seoul since 11.30 AM and haven’t come close to finding Naeun’s trace. She was not at her apartment, and she certainly was not at Mina’s or office. His gaze fell onto Naeun’s idle hand phone that was in his wife’s lap and couldn’t help but to hold back bitter gulp.

“We need to find her, honey” Sofia repeated this over and over again. “We need to find her. She might be somewhere dangerous, and she’s just too heartbroken to think through things clearly. SHE MIGHT BE IN DANGER BUT SHE DOESN’T CARE BECAUSE EVEYRTHING HAS FALLEN APART!”

“I know, I know,” Jihoo almost yelled at his maniacal wife but he knew that was not the best thing for anyone to do right now. He released a heavy sigh and could only blame himself for the pain he has out her daughter through. “I just don’t know what else I should do.”

“We cannot give up on her. We need to find her, honey!” Sofia broke down again, her helpless shoulder tremble in fear just thinking about what Naeun has faced today. “I won’t ever forgive that bastard. How dare he – he put on such a great act, that lowlife. How could he treat Naeun like that?”

Jihoo was lipped-tight when his wife mentioned Minhyuk. God knows where what Minhyuk is up to right now, and he didn’t care. He just wanted to find his daughter, safe and sound, and then only would he decide what to do with Minhyuk and the enormous humiliation he and his whole family went through today. Jihoo pulled Sofia into his arms and rubbed her back. He was very tired, but he still needed to support his wife.

Jihoo glanced at the digital clock in the car and sighed. It has been more than 7 hours since Naeun disappeared, and he hated to think his daughter is alone, nursing her scarring wound. And it was all because of him.

 

“YAH! I told you to order jjajjangmyeon, not jjamppong,” Naeun pursed as Jongin placed the full plate in front of her.

“Yah! You’re not in the position to be choosy, okay? Just eat what I ordered.”

“But I like jjajjangmyeon better,” Naeun said, sulking, as she tore off the plastic wrap around the brim of the plate.

“Look, just eat this first. I’ll treat you jjajjangmyeon some other time.”

“You cannot just make a promise and not keep it,” Naeun blurted out naturally, separating her wooden chopsticks but it didn’t break in a clean cut. The other one was broken into two due to Naeun’s weak pull. “Omo! My chopsticks broke into two.”

“Jesus Christ,” Jongin spat out, frowning as he handed his own pair to her. “Now can we please eat in peace, boss?”

“Yah! I didn’t intend to break the chopsticks into half. WHY ARE YOU SO ANGRY?”

“I’M NOT,” Jongin answered back. “Just eat, please.”

“You just yelled at me!”

“Naeun,” Jongin said firmly, eyes gazing into her gravely. “If you speak another word I will report to police about you trespassing my private property. Now either eat up or go watch some cartoon over there or anything.”

“Okay,” Naeun nodded, holding back her fury as she mixed her noodle well. “This looks good though. Do you always order from this restaurant?”

“Sssshh,” Jongin signaled a warning without lifting a head.

“I was curious!”

“Do not yell,” Jongin snapped. “I’m right in front of you. But more importantly, do not speak. I have starved myself since morning and I can finally eat some substantial food now, and I cannot have you ruin that for me.”

“It’s not like I’m taking away your bowl or anything, Jongin. Gee, so sensitive.”

“You still haven’t told me. Where’s Minhyuk?”

“I told you I don’t know.”

“You’re his wife. You’re supposed to know. He might come over and beat me up if he sees us together like this.”

“Relax. He doesn’t know where you live,” Naeun said simply, taking a large portion into her small mouth. “So what if he beat you up? You look like someone who could put up a good fight.”

“Yeah,” Jongin smiled sarcastically. “And you look like someone who doesn’t listen well to people.”

“Glad we could finally establish that,” Naeun grinned, and continued to eat up her noodle.

“Is it good?” Jongin asked kindly, as though he truly cared if it fits Naeun’s taste or not. “Is it too spicy for you?”

“It’s alright. I can handle spicy food.”

“Okay,” Jongin said, no reason, and then he kept quiet, finishing his last streak of noodle. He then laid back, satisfied and gulped down some drink to wash off the spiciness.

“Is it too spicy for you?” Naeun asked when she realized Jongin gobbled down two glasses of water. “Are you alright? You’re already sweating, Jongin-ah.”

He was indeed sweating, but he refused to admit that the noodle was too spicy for a man like him. So, instead he shook his head coolly, got up and went to the fridge to take out some fruit yogurt.

Naeun laughed, half-covering her full mouth. “Just admit it, Jongin. I’m not gonna make fun of you.”

“The fact that you promised not to make fun of me suggested that you will, undoubtedly, make fun of me.”

“So, it is too spicy, huh?” Naeun cornered him, one brow arched triumphantly.

“Nope,” he shook his head again, peeling the lid off the bottle. “I just really feel like having some mango yogurt.”

“Uh-huh,” Naeun smiled along, and winked at him playfully. “Of course you do. Mango yogurt is totally irresistible. It’s crazy manly for a guy to have a full pack of mango flavored yogurt in his fridge. Uh-huh. Totally.”

“I will kill you and cast your body into Han River if you don’t stop, Naeun.”

 

NAEUN was left alone in the kitchen, cleaning away the table while Jongin has excused himself for a quick shower. It was supposed to feel weird and awkward having Naeun around in his house, but strangely it did not feel that way. In fact, he thought her presence was comfortable.

But it didn’t change the fact that Naeun was still Minhyuk’s official wife, and it is morally wrong for him to let her stay for too long. He probably should ask her to leave right after he finished taking shower. He planned to meet up with Sehun anyway at 9 PM tonight.

He was done with shower 20 minutes later, and when he was about to put on his pants, his phone rang, and an unregistered number to his contacts appeared across the screen.

He picked it up at the second ring and greeted the unknown caller curiously.

 

“HELLO?” Mina did not mean for her greeting to sound like a question but it came out that way and it was too late to take it back. “Is this Kim Jongin’s phone?”

“Yes, this is he speaking. May I know who’s calling?”

“Hello Jongin, this is Mina’s, Naeun’s former secretary. Do you know me? We haven’t met officially, but I was the one to assign your intern position.”

“Oh, I see,” Jongin said politely. “Naeun has mentioned your name numerous times to me.”

“I hope it was all good things.”

Jongin chuckled lightly, and smiled. “It was all good. So what can I do for you?”

“Oh yes,” Mina slapped lightly her forehead. “I was wondering if you know where Naeun is.”

“What?” He asked, confused, and he naturally peeked out from his room to see what Naeun was doing in his kitchen. “What-”

“Oh God, did you know what happened at her wedding today? I forgot that you were not with us this morning.”

“What do you mean what happened?” Jongin’s brows were arching, curious.

“How do I say this? Okay – this morning in the chapel earlier, some unknown girl, most probably Minhyuk’s girlfriend, barged through the chapel during the vow exchange ceremony, and she just ran up the aisle and climbed up on the stage and pushed Naeun off. She even attacked her, beating Naeun on top of the falling flower stand. It was an intense moment for everyone around, but Naeun was really dumbstruck by the whole accident that she stormed off from the chapel and ran away. Her parents and I and everyone else have been looking all over for her since 12.00 PM and it’s been more than 7 hours, and we still couldn’t find a trace of her. Her dad called the limo company that took her home after the big incident and he told us that he saw Naeun walking into the apartment but when we went there earlier, she was not home. And then only I remember that you two live in the apartment building, and I called the office today to get your number to ask in case you might have seen her around or anything.” Mina paused for a moment of breathing and continued again smoothly. “Did she perhaps stop by your house today?”

Jongin was silent for a couple of minutes, letting the information to digest slowly into his brain. He still couldn’t believe what he just heard but Mina asking him the same question confirmed that indeed, he hadn’t heard wrong.

“Jongin, have you seen Naeun today?”

“How long did you say she has been missing?” He asked as though Mina hadn’t said anything.

“Probably close to 8 hours now. Her parents are still looking around Seoul and her mom, Sofia, refused to touch anything since morning and couldn’t stop crying since she ran away. I just wish Naeun would come home soon.”

“Oh,” Jongin gasped, his mind went blank for a short moment, and then before he knew it, it was too late to take back what he just said. “No – I have not seen her, not since I left for the internship program.”

“Oh really? Well, can you call me back on this number if you happen to bump into her? And maybe talk some sense into her to come home to see her parents. I know she might be angry and brokenhearted, but sometimes Naeun can be very emotional when making decision under pressure. I just don’t want her to get hurt more.”

“I will certainly do that,” he sounded awkward when he promised that but Mina couldn’t tell a thing.

“Oh we would appreciate that. Thanks a lot Jongin. Good evening.”

“Good evening Mina. Bye.”

And when he turned around to look back at his kitchen, Naeun was wiping the table they ate on earlier diligently, and the look on her face did not indicate a slightest hint about what horrible thing she just went through today.

 

NAEUN was massaging her arms, lines formed across her forehead as she did that. Jongin came out from his bedroom, casual, and walked over to the couch to where Naeun was sitting. The time was almost 8.20 PM and Jongin wondered if Naeun has any further plans after ‘paying’ him a visit.

“I’m not usually conservative, and I do have some manners,” Jongin said this out of nowhere without making any eye contact with Naeun.

Naeun glanced at Jongin but she did not say anything more.

“And I believe no husband would like it if his wife spends too much of her free time hanging around her male friend’s house – on their first day of wedding. I mean I know I wouldn’t like it if my wife does that.”

“I think you would have to love your wife enough to hate having your wife in some guy’s house, okay? And in this case, that particular husband gives no single care to what her wife is doing.”

“Well, if that’s the case. Maybe instead of finding some guy, she could spend her time at her parents’.”

Naeun looked at Jongin, irritated, and her glare made Jongin jump a little bit.

“What are you trying to tell me?”

“I was just saying,” Jongin said, but he hated having to beat around the bush. He should’ve just man up and tell Naeun what is really going on.

“Just cut the chase and tell me what’s really bothering you, because if you don’t want me here, then just tell me so.”

“I can tell what’s bothering me, Naeun, but I can’t just that if you don’t be honest with me first.”

“Honest how?” Naeun spat coldly, crossing her arm and straightened her back.

“Where were you from?”

“What?”’

“I asked where were you from?”

“My house.”

“Before that?”

“Chapel.”

“Where’s Minhyuk?”

“I don’t’ know.”

“Has he called you today?”

“Who?”

“Minhyuk. Your husband.”

“Nope.”

“Did you tell him you’re here.”

“Nope.”

“Do you wanna tell him you’re here? I think it's right if you'd let him know.”

“I know this isn’t about Minhyuk, Jongin,” Naeun snapped, scowling. “Stop asking me these irrelevant questions and just get to your freaking point.”

“I am getting to my point. I just don’t understand what’s taking you so long to see it.”

“You’re being ridiculous right now, do you know that?”

“No. But what I do know is that your mother hasn’t eaten anything for today ever since you ran away from chapel earlier. From your wedding. From your husband.”

 

 

*****

 

 

Hi :)

Sorry, again, for the long update.

And guess what, I think it's just gonna be some time, again, for me to update a new chapter because I have mid term exams coming up, and you know better that I should probably focus on my studies for the time being. Then only after I have got the free time will I update the story.

I'm sorry this chaplter hangs like this hahaha

I do hope you're excited for the upcoming verbal fight x) Cuz I know I do~

So, until we meet again? 

<33