018

The Missing Pieces

NOW

MARCH 2017

 

JONGIN was reading the email he received regarding the training program he has this weekend in Blue Diamond’s brand new hotel branch in Jeju Island. 

The disappointment plastered across his face disappeared gradually when he received a text message from Soojung, asking for his confirmation in joining the lunch set up by his fellow college friends today.

Are you coming with us? Kyungsoo is already on his way to pick us up – Soojung.

Where are we eating?

Same old. You know Hyuk couldn’t resist samgyoepsal at the ahjumma’s. – Soojung.

Count me in. See you at lobby in 5 then.

Jongin smiled shortly as he slipped in his phone into his pocket and grabbed his wallet before he walked over towards Naeun’s office. He double-knocked softly on the door before coming in on Naeun’s signal.

“I’m going out for lunch,” Jongin casually poked his head in like a little child and glanced up at her. “And I might come in a little late.”

“Oh,” Naeun gasped internally as she tore her gaze from the files stacking up in front of her nose and nodded. “Okay.”

Jongin smiled shortly, inside he was already judging Naeun of being so understanding of himself today.  Strange.

“Uhm – do you want me to get you anything?”

Naeun paused momentarily, looking at Jongin curiously before shaking her head in tiny movement. “I’m good, thank you.”

“Okay then,” Jongin nodded before excused himself out. Something feels strange about her today.

 

MINHYUK studied the wedding card carefully, looking into every tiny detail written on the cover of the card – the date, venue, names, and made a snickering laugh before tossing it on the dressing drawer by his beds. He turned to his right. Lana, his old and longest flame was still sleeping in her sleep.

He spooned the tanned woman, hair blonde and messy all around the pillow as he pulled her closer.

“What-” Lana opened her eyes with a rub but before she could continue asking more, Minhyuk was already sealing her lips with a kiss.

 

“THAT’S ing bull,” Junki was already throwing his head back and burst into a maniac laughter as he denied all the alleged rumors of him hooking up with a same- part-time model when he was drunk last week. “It’s true that we got home together, but I did not hook up with him. Where do you shallow people find this story?” Junki asked more after his laughter ceased. He raked his red hair behind his ears and drank more of his rice wine.

“I saw you, you motherer. I’m your ing roommate, remember?” Pilgeun shouted back at his roommate, rolling his eyes at lying Junki. “I heard some I wish to not recall, again.”

“Then why are you telling us all this when you want to forget them?” Hyuna in coldly, nudging Pilgeun in is rib. “We’re all grown-ups. So what if this ually deprived weird friend of ours wanted to have a taste of being in the bottom? That’s completely not un-normal.”

“I did not have with a random guy. Seriously people,” Junki’s tone was getting firm but no one was even listening. “And if I did, why would you think I’d be bottom?”

Pilgeun made a wry face, ignoring the hanging question from his biual friend, whilst his fingers were quick to rub at his sore rib. “There’s no such thing as un-normal, you drunkard,” Pilgeun snapped back, taking away Hyuna’s rice wine.

Jongin scoffed, nodding his head at his weird and crazy friends around the table, and wondered how things have changed since they last met up like this ever since last semester ended.

“Yah, Kim Jongin,” Kyungsoo called for Jongin softly but all of their nosy friends turned to Kyungsoo to hear what he has to say.

“Hey, are you -” Kyungsoo turned at table with a grave look on his face. “WHY ARE YOU GUYS SO CURIOUS AT EVERY SINGLE THING?”

Hyuk and the others made a face at angry Kyungsoo and they all turned to one another quickly, pretending to mind their own businesses whilst keeping their ears strained on the two.

“What?” Jongin asked.

“Are you going to the training program in Jeju this Friday?”

“Maybe. But my boss hasn’t told me anything about it, so I don’t really know.”

“You mean Miss Son hasn’t briefed to you all the details about the program?” Sooung interrupted, cutting the boys’ conversation midway.

“Uh-huh. And your boss did?” Jongin asked.

“Yeah. Since last week, and he hasn’t stopped briefing me more about it this week. I feel like I have some sort of award I need to win in the training. Like, his lecture is so detailed, and very, very burdensome. He won’t stop breathing down my neck, tellin me the objective of the program and how lucky we are to be able to undergo this kind of training and some more that is barely important to address.”

“I’m sure they all are important points.”

“Yeah right,” Soojung scoffed in utter annoyance.

“I’ve never seen you this angry,” Kyungsoo naturally commented. “It seems like you do have feelings. It’s no positive feelings, but still, it’s a mothering feeling and you have it.”

Soojung frowned, then rolled her eyes at grinning Kyungsoo before getting up and went to toilet.

Kyungsoo then exchanged glances with Jongin and shrugged his shoulders at him. “I think she hates me.”

“You were rude. Of course she’d hate you. You’re lucky you head is still attached to your body.”

“And you need to get over her,” Hyuna cut off, holding up a rice wine at Kyungsoo. “And date me instead.”

“Hyuna,” Hyuk called slowly from her right side. “Your s are out.”

“Huh?” Hyuna looked down and smiled when she saw the two buttons of her top were undone. All the boys looked away instantly when she was cupping them happily, but Hyuk, being the caring little brother drew her hands out and help to do the buttons.

“Omo, you’re a kind dongsaeng,” Hyuna smiled cheekily before grabbing Hyuk’s face and smothered her little brother with endless affection and wet on his cheeks.

“Yah! Yah! Kim Hyuna, stop that!” Hyuk was already shouting helplessly, desperate to break free from Hyuna’s endless rain of sloppy and wet kisses. “Guys, help me get her off of me! I think ahjumma’s gonna ban us out from here.”

 

KYUNGSOO dropped Soojung and Jongin off at Blue Diamond hotel before saying goodbye. Sooojung, however, was still angry at Kyungsoo for being blunt at her that she slammed the car door once she got out.

“Thanks dude,” Jongin smiled pitifully at Kyungsoo and waved him goodbye. See you at Jeju Island. Maybe”

“You too man,” Kyungsoo shouted from inside of his car. “And tell Soojung I’m sorry.”

“Tell her yourself, dip.”

“I would if she picks up my call, tard.”

“I will tell her you had nice intentions.”

“Omo Kim Jongin you sweet piece of I might have to amputate my legs from all your sweets acts.”

“Just get the hell out of here,” Jongin snapped back, hating to have Kyungsoo being all sarcastic at him.

“Don’t tell me what to do.” Kyungsoo said almost grudgingly before speeding up and left the main lobby. Jongin stood for a moment to see his friend off before getting back inside, only to find Soojung was waiting faithfully at the counter inside.

“He meant nice when he said those words.”

Soojung scoffed and naturally walked beside Jongin. “Don’t take his side.”

“I’m just saying,” Jongin held up both of his hands. “Bro can only do this much for his other bro.”

Soojung laughed a bit when Jongin said that, and her mood lightened up instantly looking at Jongin’s beautiful smile.

“Don’t be so nice to people, Jongin” Soojung said. “You may end up breaking them more.”

“I’ll be extra careful then,” he added, carefree and unaffected by Soojung’s opinion, though it made her agree unconditionally right there and then.

Soojung fixed her gaze on quiet Jongin and diverted it quickly when Jongin lifted his chin and took the time to look at her.

“Yeah, I guess you have,” she said with a short sweet smile to him as they both got into the elevator.

 

NAEUN’S body was inarguably present during the whole time her mother was talking to her about all the wedding details and updates, but her soul was long gone when she first saw Jongin and some woman -  very beautiful woman - walked in together into the hotel, talking and smiling at each other like they both owned the world.

Why did he smile so much at that woman?

Who is that woman? I’ve never seen her face.

Does she work here?

Has Jongin gotten all chummy with all the female staff here?

But he’s ice cold when he’s with me.

Tctch!  That two-faced jerk!

Who does he think he is?

Dammit why am I so angry?

“Naeun! Naeun!” Sofia was waving her hand in front of Naeun’s frozen expression; eyes darted outside the glass window of their hotel café as they were constantly trailing Jongin and his unknown partner into the elevator.

“I’m listening,” Naeun said hastily, faking a small smile.

“Okay. This evening then.”

Naeun flickered up at her mother, oblivious of what her mother was talking about. “What about this evening?”

“Stay with us for this whole week.”

“Huh?”

“I thought you were listening,” Sofia raised her brow cynically. “I was thinking that until this wedding day, you should move back in with us. You know, so it’ll be easier for me to reach you if anything comes up. Besides, I don’t want you to miss any more preparation on the wedding. It is your day, and I expect you to fully participate.”

“And you want me to move in this evening?”

“Yeah,” Sofia nodded. “You’ll go home at 4, and take all the time you need to pack some things up or anything, and come over to my house at 6 or, 7. It’s up to you.”

“Oh. Okay.”

“Oh and your dad suggested you to skip work this whole week as well. I didn’t think of that when I told him I wanted you move back in, but when he threw in this idea I thought it would be great for all of us. Now we both can really take care of every little detail left to complete the wedding preparations.”

“What?  Why? I can still work and have my wedding this weekend. You don’t have to take that away too.”

“Honey, we only want what’s best for you.”

“I am still going to work tomorrow, mom.” Naeun’s jaw flexed tensely.  Her expression darkened and looked broken at the same time. If anything, Naeun felt like their parents were trying to make sure everything they have been working for was working perfectly, without taking her feelings into consideration.

“You can’t,” Sofia heaved a sigh, each movement she made felt  heavy and the guilty feeling that was hanging at her feet was dragging her down. “Your father had instructed Mr. Jo to take over your place for this week. He’ll be managing all you work until you’re married, Naeun. I’m sorry.”

Naeun was stunned at how fast his dad’s decision to making sure the wedding would go on as usual. He didn’t allow even the tiniest space for a small mishap or mistake. She looked down to her half-empty coffee and slouched deep in her seat.

“Whatever, mom. Sure does feel great to know you guys have this much trust in me,” Naeun spat the words out harshly as she grabbed her purse and left the table in hurry.

 

NAEUN got into her office and slammed the door to her room unintentionally. It was already too late when she realized that the sound of the slam was a bit loud. She slumped to her chair, sat back, and managed her heaved breathing from all the running.

Jongin knocked on her door and pushed the door in before receiving any permission from her. Natural instinct, he’d say.

Naeun turned around, half-surprised by Jongin’s daring action and pointed a finger at him without second though.

“Yah, Kim Jongin,” Naeun sounded upset but her expression was still approachable.

“Yes?” Jongin raised a brow, unaware of what he just did.

“When you have kids later on,” Naeun began confidently, and she was not thinking of slowing down. “You should learn to trust your kids, and their every action, even when they don’t appear trustworthy. You need to have faith in your kids, and be patient with them, and don’t give them judging glares or cocky snorts and don’t dismiss every little thing they have to say just because they’re your kids and you think you know what’s best. Because sometimes you don’t, and you cannot just assume your kids will heed to your every word faithfully. They’re people too, and people have fricking feelings, alright?”

Jongin was taken back, and wondered what went on during his boss’s lunch break that she was now giving him a lecture of being good parents. He nodded slowly, partially dumbstruck, and agreed to her.

“I will,” his head tilted sideway, awkward. “Naeun, I wanted to ask you about the-”

“And,” Naeun added some more after a moment of silence. “Trust is the foundation to a happy family. Okay? If you lose that, you lose everything. You may think that that’s not important, but it is. Okay?”

“O-kay,” Jongin’s face twisted. “Of course. I’ll keep that in my mind for future reference.”

“Don’t you twist your face like that. I’m being serious.”

“This is how my face has been.”

“I don’t mean it like that. I mean, like, you should at least – I don’t know, acknowledge my points and-”

“I did acknowledge it. Literally. 4 seconds ago.”

“Yah! I told you not to cut me off. Do you know how rude that is?”

“I did not cut you off.”

Naeun scoffed, flustered. “You’re really something else, Kim Jongin.” Naeun looked away and stood up from her seat. She walked over to the cabinet and momentarily stood still in front of it.

“What was I doing here-” Naeun mused to herself. She then clapped her once and chuckled to herself. “Oh yeah. Your files.”

Jongin stifled a short smile looking at Naeun who was absorbed in being her clumsy self and couldn’t stop pulling his gaze away until she spoke.

“Why did you come in anyway?” Naeun then paused, and looked up to him, eyes squinted in suspicious. “Yah, did you knock before you came in?”

“I did.” Jongin then cleared his throat. “I have-”

“Did I tell you to come in, or you just invite yourself in? I haven’t gotten enough sleep lately so sometimes I don’t remember what just happened, you know, like the memory-”

“You did,” Jongin lied – pokerfaced, only hoping Naeun would save all the unnecessary explanation to herself. Oh and you did not just cut me off back.

“Oh,” Naeun nodded, and looked down to the files that were in her hands. “Oh it’s a good thing you come. I have something to tell you. Have a seat,” Naeun said, ushering Jongin to the empty chair tucked underneath her desk.

“And I to you.”

Naeun pursed her lips curiously, but she walked over to her seat anyway. Naeun sat forward, holding her head in her chin without realizing she was looking down at him intensely.

“You first,” she said simply.

Jongin could almost taste her sweet scent and it brought him back to the night where they shared their first kiss, and when he fell deeper into her beautiful brown eyes, he realized it was the place he was not supposed to be at.

“I believe I have this internship training this weekend.”

“Oh,” Naeun almost giggled to herself and she naturally leaned back. “I’ll send the email pertaining that matter to you after this. It’s just silly little M.T. the hotel does for their interns to, you know, something to gear them up for the real job world once we release them out. It’s nothing difficult. Don’t worry.”

“Is it this Friday?”

“I believe so. How did you find out anyway?”

“I already received the email about the training this morning, but I was unsure because you did not tell me anything, but I first found out about that from a friend of mine in another hotel.”

“Which hotel?”

“Yeoja…” Jongin trailed off in the middle of his answer because he suddenly couldn’t remember the name of the hotel Kyungsoo trained at. Yeoja?  –Am I slowly becoming like Naeun?

Naeun smirked, looking disturbed by Jongin’s stupid answer as she glared at him. “You meant Yeoshin? Gosh, you’re terrible with names.”

Jongin sighed, carefreely expressing his dissatisfaction at Naeun’s unfair judgment and crossed his arms as he laid back.

“Can I not attend it?” Jongin asked grudgingly.

“You can,” Naeun said lightly, faking a smile at him as though she was rubbing it in to him. “And say goodbye to 30 percent of your internship score.”

“You just told me about this now. You could at least cut me off 20 percent.”

“I don’t run a chicken shop, you idiot. It’s all on the paper.”

“You know I deserve it.”

“Will you just go? It’s not gonna do you any harm. You get to enjoy some good time with your friends. Eat free food. Play some  probably fun games, or not. I don't know. I hope the games are fun though. Oh and did I tell you you guys are gonna be staying at Blue Diamond’s latest branch in freaking Jeju island? And by latest I mean totally brand new.”

“Is it gonna be three days?"

“Maybe.  I don’t know.”

“What are they gonna make us do there exactly? Because if I ever have to bend down to the floor and do some scrubbing or polishing or anything like it I will lodge a report to HR department and have them do something about that.”

“That’s nonsensical, okay,” Naeun said defensively. “Though it does not sound like a bad idea at all.”

“Yah Son Naeun.”

“Yah Kim Jongin,” Naeun snapped back. “You don’t get to ‘yah’ me, okay? I’m your boss. Do you ever get that registered to the back of your head? I swear to God sometimes I feel like you’re looking down on me way too much.”

Jongin fell silent for a moment, realizing the loud truth behind Naeun’s words. To be honest, he didn’t know he was that comfortable around Naeun to be able to address her lightly, almost as though they have been close for years.

“Yah, are you not gonna answer me?”

“Oh you were asking me something?”

Naeun shut in distate, infuriated by Jongin’s downright ridiculous behavior, wondering why she would bother asking him such question.  She finally decided to focus on the paper in her hands instead.  Like a bulb instantly , a crucial message her mother told her just now reminded her why she had Jongin’s official papers in the first place.

“Oh I have something important to tell you.”

“What is it?” Jongin asked calmly, face impassive; like a breezy beach before a storm. Serene and untouched.

“I won’t be coming in to work this whole weekend, and someone from my dad’s office will take over my position during my absence.”

“Why?”

“Because,” Naeun felt the need to pause midway to allow Jongin some space to process what she was about to break next, and by this time, they both shared the same stiff expressions. “I need to prepare for my wedding this Sunday.”

 

*****

 

Tadahhhh!!!

The long awaited new chapter :D

Now that I'm done for the semester (for now) you guys should expect regular update from me  weekly \0/ (probably for 2 weeks hahahhh)

Sorry for the wait tho~ it was long and horrible but I really had no other choice T^T

But I'm gonna be a nice little author to your wonderful readers that I have decided to do a double update specially on Kai's birthday, which is today lel~~

So do kindly wait for the next chapter in less than 15 hours hahaha *disappears into a thick white smoke*

Have a nice day <3~