Chapter 9

You were mine to begin with

Junjin smiled, looking at his phone.  

Oppa, I’m going to buy something for a while. Hyesung Oppa will send me. Did you set this up? Oppa. You’re the best! I’ll see you soon. Oppa, don’t worry about me ok.

Hyesung had just left with the food that was made by Arisu. He knew Hyesung was doing it for him. He remembered Hyesung violently rejecting the idea he proposed. It was his plan to cheer Arisu up and make Andy feel less awkward with everything that was going on. Lunch time was almost over. Junjin was playing Eric, teasing him and playing along with whatever he said. He looked at his phone. It had been close to an hour, she said she would be back. He started to feel a little bit worried. Junjin made a call. There was no answer.

“Hyesung should start recording first. Is he here yet?” Minwoo announced.

Junjin looked at his phone again, this time calling Hyesung. Again, there was no answer. What were they doing? Junjin called Arisu once more but it was to no avail. He texted her, hoping to get a reply.

Hey, where have you been? I missed you. Hyesung Hyung needs to start recording. Come back soon. And pick up my calls! :/

Hyesung’s manager walked in suddenly, his face white. Junjin started to feel uneasy. Did something happen?

“Did you hear? There was an accident outside. It was Hyesung car. He’s not picking up his phone since just now. I’m heading to the hospital now.”

All 5 of them stood up, face aghast. Andy turned to face Junjin, both of them worrying about the same thing. Everyone dumped whatever work there were doing and headed to the hospital too. The ride towards the hospital was eerie. It was too quiet. Each one of them thought that if they don’t mention the obvious, it will not be true. They met Hyesung, still asleep yet mouthing something in his sleep. The members ran towards him, hugging him and waking him up in a start. His shirt had blood stains on it.   

“Hyung, is… Is Arisu okay?”

All he could do was shake his head. He slowly told the rest about the accident. The others knew Hyesung had not had lunch. Andy could not stand just sitting, waiting and doing nothing so he decided to talk a walk. Minwoo decided to accompany him and Dongwan and Eric stood up, decided to get food for Hyesung. Junjin sat beside Hyesung, eyes set on the doors of the ER, praying for it to open with good news. It was a while after they left that Hyesung said something to Junjin.

“Jin ah, when I left to send the food up, she said that I should not miss her too much. I just started to talk to her today, thanks to you and… she’s gone again. I’m sorry.”

“She told me not to worry about her.” Jin mentioned quietly. “Hyung, maybe she already knows somehow that…”

“STOP IT! BOTH OF YOU! You better not let Andy hear what you guys are thinking. She’s fighting for her life inside there and both of you… You! You… should be. I don’t know what you should be doing. But it’s definitely not this! I know she means a lot to both of you, but Andy knew her the longest. Can you imagine what it is like for him now?” Eric scolded them, telling them to get a grip. He passed the sandwich to Hyesung and sat on the floor, eyes closed.

Dongwan brought drinks for everyone and he just stood opposite the three of them quietly, Hyesung eating his sandwich. He was the first to react when the doctor came out asking for anyone related to Arisu. With a small smile on his face, he turned to the three sitting upright, suddenly tensed.

“She’s still unconscious, but she will be fine. Luckily the car was trying to stop from a traffic light away, so the impact was not that strong. But still, her head got hit badly. At least she will be all right.”

“Thank God.” Andy said softly, finally coming in, with his eyes red and Minwoo having his arm around his shoulder.

“Can we see her?” Hyesung croaked. His voice cracked since he had not talk for a long period of time.   

“Yes, the doctor told me what room she will be in and when, but Hyesung ah. You should change first.” Dongwan replied, the small smile still on his face.

Eric took Hyesung to his car. He had spare clothes in it. Hyesung changed in the car and when he got off Eric thought that he looked terrible. They both started to walk in again but Hyesung stopped. Eric looked at him, his eyes full of question.

“I can’t. I know that didn’t lose her but it’s almost like…. It’s as if I did. I could have lost her twice. And she told me not to miss her too much. I can’t see her again.”

Eric held out his cigarette, telling Hyesung to take it and they walked to a smoking area before smoking.

“Don’t think too much about it. If you’re not meant to be with her, she wouldn’t have come here. She would not have survived the crash. Rather than saying you can’t see her. I think what you need to do is to tell Jin the truth. What you feel. What you want. Stay as long as you want, I‘m going to see Arisu.”

He left Hyesung thinking and went to the room, Arisu already awake and curving into a smile as he saw her being entertained by the other four who were already there. She tried sitting up when she saw Eric coming in but retreated back as her head was throbbing with pain. Junjin helped her up, and he felt relieved when Arisu held his hands, tightly.

The five of them told her how they felt and scolded her for making them worry. It all ended with laughter when everyone started teasing each other about how they had acted and who had the reddest eye. Visiting time was almost over and everyone decided to leave Junjin and Arisu alone.

They looked at each other, words not required as they know what the other was going to say.

“I’ll get him for you. Don’t worry. I’m right here for you, aren’t I?”

“But Oppa, what about you?”

“Me? I’m special, aren’t I? You said it yourself. No matter what happens, just know that I’ll be right here. For you.”

He gave her a kiss on the cheek and squeezed her hand, glad that she’s alive, even though she isn’t his. He left her, looking at his phone. He had 20 minutes before visiting time ends. He needed to find Hyesung. That would make her sleep peacefully tonight at least, he thought. He did not need to go far. He was sitting at the cafeteria alone, apparently deep in thought.

Hyesung felt someone pulling him, the strength waking him up from his trance. “You! That’s it! No more! Right now, I am not your dongsaeng.  I am your rival. And I am telling you to listen to me. She loves you and you almost lost her today. If you don’t want her now, you’re nuts.”

He then pulled him all the way to her room. Junjin glared at him, daring him to move the opposite direction from Arisu’s room. “Stay with her tonight. She’s allowed one person to stay with. I’ll bring clothes for you tomorrow.” Junjin refused to move, until he entered the room.