Chapter 8

You were mine to begin with

Arisu was working on her new song. She had borrowed Junjin’s guitar. She could not wait till she could get her own one. She left her old guitar with her mum back in America so that she could remember her. She still had to work though, that was the reason why she came to Korea. She was a song composer and she worked best with guitars. She reached for her phone.  Two messages. Smiling, she saw it was from Junjin.

What are you doing today? ^^ Oppa is at the recording studio.

Why are you not replying? Sleeping? Call me.

She went to the kitchen to grab a drink. It had been like this since the day everyone found out about Hyesung and Arisu’s past. Junjin still sees her, texting her every day. Andy, living in the same house treated her as usual. Everyone else still comes over or had meals with her, everyone except for Hyesung.

Her phone rang. Arisu took her drink and picked up her phone.

“Oh, Oppa. I was about to call you.”

“Ahh. I thought you were asleep. You didn’t reply my messages. What were you doing?”

“Writing a song. How’s recording so far?”

“Not so good. Don’t know what’s missing with this song. Ya, you should come. We’re going to take a break in an hour’s time.”

“Should I?”

“Yes. Don’t worry. Hyesung Hyung is ok with it.” He assured, hearing his girlfriend hesitating.

“Okay, give me an hour and I’ll be there.”

Half an hour later, just as she finished packing lunch, the doorbell rang. Hyesung was at the door. He entered when Arisu opened it. He saw the containers with food on the table. He took the chopstick lying beside it and tasted the food. Arisu was fast though. She beat his hands away. “Just what do you think you are doing?”

“Eating. Isn’t this for us?” He smiled at her. The effect was not what he expected as she just stood there glaring at him. “Ok, I really don’t like making everyone feel awkward. It’s not like anything is going to happen between us right? So why don’t we start all over again?”

She smiled and surprising him, she gave him a quick hug. Embarrassed, she left the room to change and came back seeing everything on the table already packed and Hyesung waiting patiently. He turned when he heard her entering the living room, eyes following at her.

“Aigoo. You grew up to be so pretty. Junjin is definitely a lucky guy. Let’s go.” He carried the containers as Arisu was reaching for it. He motioned her to open the door. They both left, heading to Shinhwa Company. Everything seemed to be funnier and lighter after they made up.

Arisu wanted to buy something along the way and the food would be cold if they held on to it. Hyesung suggested that he should bring the food to the members first so that they could eat while they buy what she wanted. He parked his car by the road, since it will only be just for a while and took the food up.   

“Oppa, don’t miss me too much. Hehe.”Arisu teased as he started to walk away, laughing along with her. Arisu went out of the car to stretch her legs for a while. She felt like she had her best friend again. She texted Junjin while waiting for Hyesung.

Oppa, I’m going to buy something for a while. Hyesung Oppa will send me. Did you set this up? Oppa. You’re the best! I’ll see you soon. Oppa, don’t worry about me ok.

She saw Hyesung getting out of the building door and waved to him, getting back in the car. He waved back, making his way to his car. Junjin had a talk with him a few days ago. Hyesung could see how serious he was in taking care of her. He kept thinking how he was a step late, how his pride prevented him from having Arisu for himself. But Hyesung respected Junjin’s choice and he agreed to start talking to Arisu again.

He never thought that it would be this way though. He decided to forget everything from the past and talk to her and she was taking it a bit too well. Hyesung did not realize that he was smiling happily while walking, unknowingly half way reaching his car. But at that moment he had to stop. There was a loud car horn sound coming from the distance. He snapped his head to the sound and stopped, his mouth opened slightly. In his head, all he could think of is Arisu. The car that was making the sound, was a traffic light away but at the speed it was going, there was no way it could stop in time. It will head straight to the car, his car and Arisu.

He ran for it, screaming for Arisu. Faster. Come on, get out of the car! But Arisu could not move. She too heard the horn and the soon after saw the car heading to her direction. Her mind told her to move but her body reacted differently. There was not even time for fear.

Hyesung dropped to his knees. He was not fast enough. He could not even see what happened in front of him. The car crashed into him and his car upon the impact skidded hard. His legs were weak but he stood up. He had to.

“Arisu. No. NO.”

He saw her, blood dripping from her head. She was still breathing, he could see. Her chest was still moving but it was hurting her. Suddenly, he had a rush of energy; adrenaline. He had to go to her, comfort her, save her or anything. But he was held up by the bystanders crowding the place, forcing him to calm down.  When he finally reached her, he wanted to hold her. But she let a groan of pain, her breathing sharp. He let her go, and took her hands instead, holding them and telling her that she will be all right.

It was a chant, like a spell and he did not stop, not even when they were in the ambulance. She fell into unconsciousness yet he did not stop, believing that she could still hear him. Arisu was pushed immediately into the ER and he was left alone outside. Hands sweating, he reached his pocket for his phone but it was not there. It must have dropped while he running to his car. He sat by the side, eyes tired from crying and head aching from all the different thoughts. In a blink of an eye he dozed off, still muttering that Arisu would be all right.