Chapter 3

You were mine to begin with

Chapter 3:

Pilgyo was walking, bag slung on the right side of his shoulder.  He had English Lit and Taekwondo practice. He preferred to be alone. So he headed to the gym during breaks, sitting at the topmost corner having his packed lunch. But today, at his usual spot, sat someone with her lunchbox out. His eyebrows were raised, dissatisfaction clearly seen on his face, but he just choose to sit beside her.

He noticed her packed Lunch; kimbab, a few fruits and Kimchi. He kept stealing glances at her, thinking of why he had never seen her before.

“Excuse me, can you watch over my stuff while I go to the washroom? I’ll be very quick.”  Said the girl to him, in a small voice, as if scared.

Pilgyo nodded, trying to look like he was not looking at her at all before. He watched her move away, long hair swishing at the back. Then he eyed on her food. It has been ages since he had Korean food. His mum usually sent some Kimchi and snacks over but that was all. He missed his family back home but he was here to study.

“Hey, are you Korean? My name is Tasha.”

“oh, when did you? Never mind, yes I am. My name is Steve, Korean name Pilgyo. You don’t have a Korean name?”

“Me, of course I do. Lee Arisu.”

He looked at her closely. She had big eyes, eyes that sparkle when she speaks. Her face was pretty and it gave him that calming feeling when he looked at her.

“How old are you? Shd I call you oppa or…?”

“I’m 16 and Arisu is such a pretty name. You should introduce that as your name next time.”

“Well, pilgyo oppa then.” She said with a blush. Pointing to her food, ”Want some? I made it myself. My mum is a terrible cook. So I learnt how to make it from my best friend’s mum. They’re both Korean but their work had to move here, which is why I’m here. I just came last week. So far, this is the best place for lunch!”

“I see. Well, I would know that because, you’re sitting at where I usually sit. It’s good isn’t it? You can see people playing sports here and they don’t really care about you at all. It’s like as if…”

“As if everything else in the world is still going on but we can just sit here watching everything happens without being in it ourselves.”

Hyesung looked at her, how did she know that was what he was going to say? He gave a smile thinking that he finally found someone who had the same thinking as her.

They met each other every day since then at the same place for lunch, sharing stories and laughing at each other’s joke. Sometimes, Arisu stayed behind to study in the gym and watched Pilgyo practice taekwondo. She didn’t mind the noise; it gave her the feeling that she was not alone.

“How was I today?” Pilgyo asked moving to sit beside her, mouth smiling so wide, just because she was there.

“Oh, I didn’t see you practice. I was really focused with my revision”

“What, you didn’t see me spar that kid? Or the… the high kick?”

“Hehehe. Oppa, I like it when you get sensitive like just. Aigoo. Just like a girl. Of course, I saw it. Sooo handsome!” Arisu said, laughing and giving two thumbs up at the same time.

“Eh, I don’t believe you. Arisu ya. Hmm. I’ve got something to tell you.” His hand reached into his bag to get something.

“YA!!!! LEE TASHA ARISU! WHERE ARE YOU? OH THERE YOU ARE” Shouted a guy and he ran towards her. “Guess what? My mum gave me the yes. I’m going to Korea! I’m going to perform to stage soon!” he gave her a hug and a kiss on her cheek.

Pilgyo, looked away quickly and held the thing in his hand harder. Who could the guy be? Her boyfriend? How come she never shared any stories about him to me? The guy left after telling her that dinner will be at his place. Arisu just sat quietly, her face, although filled with joy had a tint of sadness within it.

“Hey. You ok?”

“Yea, it’s just that, we were together for so long and now he’s just leaving me like that. But that’s another story, what were you going to tell me?”

“Well, I don’t think I should tell you, now. It’s just that I am going back to Korea too. And I got you this, to remember the one year we spent together.”

He placed the box in Arisu’s hand and looked at her. He saw a smile being forced into her face.

“Are you sure you’re fine?”

“Oppa… yes. Yes I am. Come on, I have one box of kimbab left, let’s finish it before going home. I’m sure you’re hungry.”

And that was the last he saw of her. Pilgyo was supposed to leave in two months yet the two months left, he ate lunch alone. He looked for her everywhere in the school, yet he couldn’t find her. So he just sat at the same spot of the gym, regretfully. Utnil the two months passed and he started training with 5 other guys who became his brothers. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------