Love Beyond Expectation

Love Beyond Expectation

Chapter 8

 

Jaejoong was always smiling these days. His smile today was even wider than usual since he got a date with Yuri to celebrate their fifth month anniversary. While Jaejoong was grinning away, Hyukjae was glaring at Jaejoong. He muttered to himself, “I’m sick of seeing my usually cool friend grinning like an idiot lately!”

 

But his irritation today wasn’t only caused by Jaejoong’s wide grin. It also stemmed from the fight he had with Tiffany last night. They were in Tiffany’s apartment, eating pizza when Sehun called. Since it wasn’t the first call Tiffany got from that wretched guy, he didn’t have any other choice but to be a jerk & suspected that Tiffany had an affair behind his back, did he?! He hit his head with his palm & cursed himself for being a jealous fool.

 

Jaejoong, seeing his miserable buddy with a pitiful face on, tried to control his grin. He cleared his throat & asked as somber as he could manage, “What happened? Ever since you entered my office, you have looked so terrible & spoiled my mood. Tell me. If it had anything to do with women, let the master help you.”

 

Hyukjae glanced at Jaejoong & yelled at him unreasonably, “Why do you have to look so cheerful? The least you could do is sympathize with me & keep your silly grin to yourself & what master? You are putty in Yuri’s hands.”

 

“Whoa, what happened? Fany kicked you out?”

 

Feeling like a burst balloon, Hyukjae nodded a little. He said dejectedly, “We had a fight yesterday. You remember Sehun?”


“Sehun? Where have I heard that name before?”

 

“Jessica’s Oh Sehun. Your ex-girlfriend, Jessica.”


“Oh yeah, what’s with him?”


“He called Fany last night when we were watching tv. Fany was on the phone for so long I got suspicious & accused her of going behind my back & having an affair with Sehun.” He sounded silly even to himself. Hyukjae groaned & closed his eyes, “Trust me to come up with that idiotic scheme!”


“You are right. Nobody could come up with that scheme more brilliantly than you.” Jaejoong grinned & relaxed on his chair. Hyukjae’s problem wasn’t as complicated as he had guessed when he had seen Hyukjae’s expression, “Don’t be such a worrywart. It wasn’t that complicated.”

 

“Hah. Remember when you had that fight with Yuri when a guy kept asking her for a dance at some party? You couldn’t just keep cool, could you? No, you had to punch the guy’s nose & that guy turned out to be her cousin, no less & who got drunk when the little woman yelled at you for being such a jealous fool & left with her cousin? I still remember you calling all the flower shops & sending truckloads of flowers to beg for her forgiveness. Not complicated, my ! Let me tell you, ladies’ man, every problem that involves your girlfriend is complicated. Girlfriend equals complication, got that?”

 

Jaejoong’s face was getting redder hearing his previous difficulties with Yuri oh-so-casually mentioned. He cleared his throat & said in a grave tone, “You have got to move fast before Sehun could get a chance to get to Fany first. He could be making trouble for you two.” Seeing Hyukjae’s panic expression, Jaejoong picked up the phone & dialed the number he never forgot, “Yes, I would like to order.” He put his hand on the mouthpiece & whispered to Hyukjae, “What is Fany’s favorite flower?”

 

Hyukjae hurriedly opened his black book & flipped it around for some time. He finally found what he was looking for, “Pink roses.” He said, pointing at something in his black book.

 

After everything had been arranged, Jaejoong turned back to Hyukjae & grinned slyly, “Now, it’s your turn to help me.”


“Fany, are you clear on what you are supposed to do? I don’t mind repeating them.” Yuri said, while applying her makeup. Tiffany rolled her eyes & said for the eighth time, “It was so clear you could see through it. You even put it in writings.” Yuri grinned impishly & patted Tiffany’s hand in gratitude, “So, tell me about the fight?”


“That jerk yelled at me while I was still on the phone with Sehun Oppa! He even accused me of cheating on him behind his back. The irony is I don’t even like Sehun Oppa. He’s a total flirt & a very pushy guy. I was polite to him because I don’t want to make trouble for Hyukjae Oppa. He, after all, is one of his major clients & how did he repay me? My god, Sehun Oppa must have heard all his shouting & accusation. I have never felt so humiliated before. So I made an excuse to Sehun Oppa & ended the called. The jerk had the nerve to have a smug look on his face after what he did! So, I pulled his ear & twisted it with my right hand, opened the door with my left & pushed him out. Slamming the door on his nose was just a crowning touch.” Tiffany said, while moved her hands around, trying to depict to Yuri her feat.

 

Yuri made a humming sound in while putting on the mascara, “Have you guys made up yet?”

 

“I don’t know. Should I?” Then her voice turned dreamy, “This afternoon, three bouquets of pink roses arrived on my doorstep. A note attached to them saying three bouquets for being three times a jerk! I’m so sorry. Let me make it up to you. Tomorrow, dinner at seven. That’s it, no signature, nothing but I have no problem guessing who the utter jerk is!”

 

“Hyukjae Oppa wrote that? Unbelievable. His effort must worth something.” Yuri searched Tiffany’s oval-shaped face & found what she was looking for. Her pink lips curved wickedly & she nodded in agreement, “I’m going to let him squirm for a little bit though.” Tiffany grinned playfully, fully aware that she got her friend’s support.

 

“Perfect.” She said, pleased with her image in the mirror & with Tiffany’s plan. Everything had to be perfect tonight. Yuri had planned the night meticulously. She took great care of getting ready for the date tonight for it was a night she wanted to remember forever. Her makeup was light but it enhanced her features brilliantly. The black bateau neckline, chiffon sleeve shift dress that Tiffany made for her fit her so beautifully. She looked at the clock on the wall & smiled; satisfied that everything was according to her schedule.

 

She raised her eyebrows at Tiffany & tilted her head to the clock, “I know, I know. I’m going.” Tiffany mumbled, “You owe me one, Yul.” She said, while sailing out of Yuri’s bedroom. Yuri stuck her tongue out & said, “There’s no way Hyukjae Oppa could think of bouquets & stuff. It must be Jaejoong Oppa’s idea. So, actually I owe you one half.” Tiffany smirked & mumbled something that sounded like ‘Yeah, yeah’. Yuri smiled & turned back to the mirror. Tiffany was going to help her set the mood at the park near her apartment for the special occasion she had in mind. She clutched her chest, feeling her heart thudding loudly in her chest. She was going to ask Jaejoong to marry her tonight.

 

She had just finished checking her black maharani pouch when the doorbell rang. She took a second to compose herself & ran to open the door. Jaejoong stood at her doorway, holding a bouquet of red roses & a box of candies. She laughed joyfully, “Oppa, you look great & yet, you are early. Come on in. I will need a minute to find my shoes first.” Seeing Jaejoong’s expression, she looked down at herself & looked questioningly at him. He cleared his throat & said hoarsely, “You look okay.” When he stood still & looked at her unblinking with the beginning of drool on his lips, she smiled & touched his arm, “Are those flowers for me?”

 

Jaejoong swallowed the needed to babble that rose to his throat & handed the bouquet over stiffly. Inwardly, he cursed himself for be a stuttering fool, ‘Kim Jaejoong, you fool. Why do you always turn dim-witted around her? Can’t you say anything better than you look okay? Stupid, stupid!’ Mentally shaking his head, he leaned over & kissed her cheeks, whispering into her ear, “Take any time you need, princess. You look dazzling, more so than usual.” Yuri thanked him with a peck on his cheek & smelling the flowers, she walked to the kitchen for a vase. Jaejoong sat down on the sofa & took in a deep breath; his heart pounding so loud that he was sure everybody could hear it. When Yuri came out smiling & holding her navy slick trench coat on her arm, they headed out for a memorable night.

 

Tiffany was humming as she hung lights in strategic places on a tree. Satisfied with her work, she walked down the ladder & walked towards the bench where her various decorating gears & Yuri’s instruction paper were placed. She turned her head around, trying to see whether Yoona had arrived. It was eight already & Yoona’s shadow was nowhere to be seen. She picked up her samsung galaxy note to called Yoona to hurry up when it suddenly rang. Hearing the special tone assigned to special someone, she muttered under her breath, “What do that jerk want this time?!”

 

She reminded herself not to let Hyukjae off the hook so easily. She prepared herself & snapped, “What?!” Hyukjae gulped, hearing the fierce tone & said timidly, “Fany, are you still angry? I’m sorry. I was unreasonable. Meet me tomorrow at seven at Top Cloud & I swear I will make it up to you.” Then Hyukjae’s voice perked up a little bit, “Or I could pick you up?”

 

Smiling, Tiffany tried to control her furious tone & said, “I will let you know tomorrow.” She hung up & whistled, bouncing to the next tree with new sets of light. Yoona, who had just arrived, witnessed the last scene, shook her head. She walked out from the shadow & picked up the instruction paper.


Meanwhile, Hyukjae looked at his iphone 4 & cursed softly, “Damn!”