Love Beyond Expectation

Love Beyond Expectation

Chapter 6

 

Kai & Seohyun looked at each other & shrugged. They were on their way to drive Yuri home & Yuri was very quiet. Kai kept one hand on the wheel steadily & gave Seohyun’s hand a squeeze with his other hand. Seohyun held his hand & nodded; she understood what her boyfriend was asking her to do. She turned to the back seat & asked Yuri casually, “So, how’s our performance?”

 

Yuri looked up from her lap & sighed softly. She forced on a smile & said, “You two did a very good job. If I didn’t know any better, I would think that you are a flirt & Kai Oppa is a gay guy.”

 

Seohyun gave her a sympathy look, understanding Yuri’s inner turmoil. Yuri caught Seohyun’s black, almond-shaped eyes & suddenly, she burst, “That damn Jaejoong Oppa! How could he say he liked me & flirted with that shameless hussy?! He sickened me! Now, I have the answer to my question! No, he’s not gay! He’s just a straight jerk & the biggest playboy on the planet!” Yuri threw her body back onto the seat & frowned in anger.


“Damn, where is she?!” Jaejoong muttered, slamming the phone down.

 

“Since when do you have the habit of talking to yourself? You have been very strange lately, man.” Hyukjae commented, while leaning on Jaejoong’s desk.


“I have been trying to reach her for a week already.” Seeing Hyukjae’s questioning expression, Jaejoong muttered, “Yuri.”

 

Hyukjae hooted with laughter. He never thought the notorious playboy would ever meet his match. Disgusted with himself for being such a besotted fool, Jaejoong turned his chair to face the window. He said softly, “I’m doomed, buddy. I have left so many messages in her machine that I’m amazed her machine is still working. I used to be able to get any girl I want. Why is it so difficult this time? I think I have lost the appeal that pulls girls to me.”

 

Seeing Jaejoong so miserable, Hyukjae cleared his throat & asked seriously, “Do you really like her?”

 

Jaejoong nodded vehemently, “I can’t explain why I feel this way towards her. Her beauty? I could pick up a phone & a beautiful woman would be by my side in a minute. Her character? I have dated lively, graceful, sweet, spoiled, feisty, sophisticated or wild women before. I have dated all kinds of women. What is it about her that makes me feel like a worm on a hook?”

 

Hyukjae looked at Jaejoong sympathetically. It’s true that he had never seen Jaejoong like this before. He’s always so smooth; he oozed charm like air, “I would help you but you have got to give me your word that you will never hurt her in any way. She’s Fany’s best friend. I don’t want to see her get hurt & Fany would ask for my head if she knows that I helped you.”

 

“I promise you.” Jaejoong hurriedly said, but secretly, he was a little afraid of Tiffany so he’s glad that Hyukjae only asked for so little. Not that he had any intention of hurting Yuri.

 

“She’s at Fany’s boutique right now. She would be there for a while since she promised Fany & Yoona lunch.” Jaejoong was gone by the time Hyukjae finished his words.

 

Yuri was sitting on a padded bench in the center of the room, chatting with Yoona when the door suddenly banged against the wall. Letting out a yelp of fright, the two girls turned to the door to see Jaejoong bent over, trying to catch his breath. Tiffany ran out from the storeroom with fire extinguisher in her hand, “What happened?” She asked, “Where is the crook?”

 

Yuri giggled & pointed at Jaejoong. She had accepted Tiffany’s explanation. Jaejoong was a playboy. Once she accepted the fact, she didn’t feel very wretched & betrayed any longer. Although, she still felt a keen sense of disappointment for she had to admit that she felt attracted to Jaejoong.

 

Yoona, hiding her smile, took the extinguisher from Tiffany’s hand before she could do any damage with it. Tiffany huffed & said, “Next time, could you enter the shop in a more proper manner? I could accidentally bashed your head, you know.”

 

Jaejoong, still wheezing, tried to speak, “I...I...I.” He held up his hand & tried to control his breathing. Yoona walked over to him with a glass of water & handed it over to him, “Here, drink this first.” Jaejoong thanked her with a nod & drank the water gratefully.

 

“I was on my way to lunch when I saw two pretty ladies sitting here. So, I went in to offer the three of you free lunch.”

 

Tiffany arched her straight eyebrow & said, “You have got to build your stamina, Jaejoong Oppa. It’s only a short distance from the sidewalk to the boutique. Man, you are even worse than Hyukjae Oppa.” Suddenly, her brown, wide, almond-shaped eyes squinted suspiciously. She walked closer to him & suspiciously asked him, “Does this have anything to do with Yuri? Is Hyukjae Oppa involved in this? I will make him pay if he encourage a playboy like you to date her.”

 

Jaejoong was grateful to Hyukjae for his information, thus he tried to save him, “No, no. What’s Hyukjae got to do with this? I have told you that I saw Yuri from outside & came to offer free lunch to the three of you. I was out of breath because I was too excited.” He silently pleaded to god to spare him the wrath of Tiffany. Still suspicious, Tiffany warned him, “I don’t know whether to believe you or not but I wouldn’t stand aside if you ever hurt Yuri! I will cut you to pieces, I swear!”

 

Before Jaejoong had any chance to assure Tiffany, Yuri laughingly said, “Hey, are you two having an affair? Exchanging love words over there? I have got to tell Hyukjae Oppa about this.”

 

Jaejoong was relieved that Yuri was back to her usual cheerful self. He still remembered her look of disgusts. Assuming that he was forgiven, he walked to her & bowed while smiling flirtatiously at her, “If you keep it for yourself, I will be yours for life.” He winked at her & said, “For starters, let’s go to lunch. You can choose any place you want. My treat.”

 

Yuri tried to suppress her awkward feelings for Jaejoong. She took in a deep breath & hardened her heart against his potent charm. Hurriedly, she stood up & grabbed Yoona’s arms, “Let’s go, Yoon. Since somebody wants to treat us, we are having lunch at Kimchihana.” Glancing at Jaejoong, she added while grinning, “We will take two cars. I will give you two lovebirds a chance to be alone.” She winked back.

 

During lunch, Yuri was still wary of Jaejoong at first but Jaejoong wasn’t a playboy for nothing. He instinctively felt that he had to woo her subtly. So, he coaxed & flirted with her carefully, making Yuri felt comfortable enough around him to put her shield down. She gradually forgot her determination of detachment under Jaejoong’s appeal & went back to her normal self. They chatted, joked around & laughed under Tiffany’s watchful eyes & Yoona’s longing gaze.

 

Afterward, Jaejoong drove back to his office while laughing, smiling & grinning in his car. He didn’t care that people was staring at him all the way to his office, probably thinking he was a crazy handsome guy. He finally got a date with Yuri on friday night.

 

Meanwhile, in her car, Yuri was being lectured by Tiffany on the danger of dating a playboy.

 

“Yul, you know what you are doing, right? I will just remind you once again. Jaejoong Oppa is a notorious playboy. He have so many girlfriends that I think he can’t even remember them all. He will only play with you & dump you when someone else catch his eyes. Like you have said before, playboys could never be trusted.”

 

Yuri only smiled & patted Tiffany’s hand, “But a reformed playboy would make the best boyfriend. They know how to be romantic & they understand women. I'm just kidding. Don’t worry, girl. I can take care of myself. It’s only a date. Nothing serious. I will not fall for a playboy.”

 

Sighing resignedly, she nodded her head, “Nothing serious. Right. As long as you know what you are doing.” “Hyukjae, I think I’m in love.” Jaejoong stated in disbelief.

 

“Love? You said you didn’t believe love existed. Your exact words were love is just a mask for pleasure & companionship.”


“I know. That’s why I’m so amazed to find myself in this whirlwind of no-name emotion. I think it’s what you people called love. You know, last night at Mansion, there’s this stunning, beautiful, y as a goddess woman winked at me in invitation. To my surprises, I couldn’t dredge even a speck of interests for her. All my interests & attention was captured by Yuri & my head felt like it was going to blow up when a guy approached Yuri & asked her for a dance. I have never had violent tendency but I was ready to smash the guy’s nose for making a move on her. Ever since our first date, she was always on my mind. I have this sudden yearning to always be by her side. I'm never like this with other girls. Usually, around this time, my interests for a girl would be worn out but with Yuri, not only did I lose interests, I even felt more energized by the thought of seeing her again. What happened to me? What am I supposed to do now?” Jaejoong asked in wonder.

 

“Congratulation, buddy. Now, you have experienced it all. All these times, I have always felt that you lacked a certain emotional experience in your life. Now, you are complete.” Hyukjae grinned in satisfaction & slapped Jaejoong’s shoulder, “You know, we should have a double date. Too bad Yoon wanted to stay single. Otherwise, we could have a triple date together.”


“Pal, help me here. What am I supposed to do now? Should I confess to her? What if she doesn’t feel the same way? Where would I put my face? Maybe I should wait for her to tell me. I know. I could keep giving her flowers & candies until she falls in love with me. What does it take to make a woman fall in love?” Jaejoong uttered in frustration.

 

“Yeah, keep giving her candies & flowers would do it.” Hyukjae said mockingly, “What did you do to your other girlfriends?”

 

“I have never had to say or do anything. I only had to call them & asked for a date & they do the rest. Also, I only felt attraction towards them but Yuri’s different.” Jaejoong said sulkily.

 

Shaking his head, Hyukjae stood up & assumed a superior-to-inferior position, “I will tell you something about girls based on my experience. They love attention. They love flattery. They love presents. They love romance.” Shuddering a little, he continued, “They craved commitment. If you could supply them to a girl, you could ask her for anything & she would gladly give it to you.”

 

“Your experience? A girl would give you everything you want? You must have read it somewhere. Just admit it. There’s no way you got those bull from your experience with Fany. I know for a fact you are a little afraid of her.”

 

Hyukjae grinned sheepishly & scratched his head.

 

Meanwhile, Yuri was in predicament herself. She stood up from the couch & started pacing. After a while, she fell back onto the couch again, & buried herself under a couple of pillows & screamed out her frustration, “No, this can’t be happening! I wouldn’t fall under his spell! He’s a playboy, for god sake!” She shook her head fiercely & laid her head back onto the couch, “I have got to protect myself from him. No matter what he does, he wouldn’t make me a simpering fool & become one more name on his list of girlfriends.” She sighed a little. She knew she should stop seeing him. He was like a drug that made her want more & more dosage but every time the thought of never seeing him again, occurred to her, her heart clenched tightly as if invisible hands were squeezing the life out of her. She fell asleep on the couch, still thinking what she should do to make her heart give Jaejoong up.

 

“Hyukjae, you idiot!” Jaejoong cursed. He had tried Hyukjae’s advices, against his better judgment. All they gave him is frustration & lower self-esteem.

 

He tried to shower Yuri with attention & flattery. He called her twice a day, asking her how her day went. He noticed when she got a new haircut & he even noticed a mosquito bite on her arm. He praised her taste in clothes, shoes & everything else. He complimented her beauty times & times again. He even memorized her parents’ birthday & anniversary, her graduation date & her dog, Hani’s birthday. When he asked her to be his girlfriend, she only smiled & ignored him.

 

Now, he knew that flowers & candies would never work either because he had already tried it. He also gave her an expensive watch, diamond jewelries & branded clothes & bags. He ordered a hand painted silk scarf for her. He gave her his credit cards for a shopping spree. Aside from the flowers & candies, all were returned to him. He didn’t have the nerve to ask her after that but at least he knew that his flowers & candies managed to get a better reaction than Hyukjae’s suggestion.

 

He walked with her on the beach under the moonlight. He built a small bonfire on the sand & sat with her, listening to the ocean waves until dawn. He set up a candlelight dinner complete with all the works, the violin & saxophone, dark room lighted only by dozens of candles, ice-cold champagne & dozens of flowers. When he asked her to be his girlfriend, she only patted his hand & asked him how his food was.


Jaejoong groaned & banged his head on his desk. He’s really screwed this time. They had a date that night but he had no idea how to face her or how to make her his.

 


♡ HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO GIRLS' GENERATION SEO JOOHYUN