Chapter 2

We Will Escape Together

Minho groaned and rolled over as the rays of sunlight him him hard in the face.  The groaning continued as he finally sat up, his long wavy hair messy and tangled.  Minho looked around at his familiar surroundings and sighed happily.  Today was Sunday, his day off.  Today, he would go hang out with his old friend, Onew, who would inform him of everything new that was happening outside of the castle


    He stepped out of bed and pjs, and into his commoners clothes.  Around the castle he was required to wear the uniform for the guards, but outside of the castle, he could wear whatever he pleased.  He smiled as the soft light cotton brushed against his skin instead of the heavy velvet. 


    While on his way to the kitchen to make the prince breakfast, because of the maids abense, he checked on the younger boy.  He opened the door quietly, only to find Taemin sleeping soundly in his fluffy bed.  Minho closed door even quieter than he had opened it and continued his journey to the kitchen.
    The prince ate the same meal every morning: two slices of bacon, scrambled eggs, and a piece of toast.  Minho wasn't as good as the maid at cooking these items, but it was edible enough.


    When he finished making breakfast, he blew out the fire he cooked with and arranged the food on the plate to make it look prettier.  He set the food on the table in dining room table, knowing Taemin would see it when he woke up. 


    While he was washing the grease off of his hands, he heard uneven thumping coming from upstairs. Prince Taemin must finally be getting out of bed, he thought.  As he was drying his hands he heard the thumping getting closer to the top of the stairs.  He looked up to see Taemin struggle his way onto the first step, wincing in pain as his broken leg supported his weight for the smallest amount of time.  Oh yes, his broken leg.  Minho had forgotten all about it.  Another thump was heard as Taemin stumbled onto the second step and almost lost his balance.  Minho quickly ran up the stairs to support Taemin and wrap his strong arm around the small frame. 


    "Minho, I'm fine," the boy sighed.  Taemin hated having to depend on people like this.  

    "No, you're not."  He looked down at the large amount of stairs Taemin still had left to conquer.


    Taemin sighed again in defeat, he knew he wouldn't be able to get down all those stairs unharmed in his current condition.  Minho stepped onto the next step, his arm still around Taemin, supporting his weight as he lightly stepped down onto Minho's step.  They did this again, and again until the hazardous flight of stairs came to an end. 


    Minho helped Taemin to the table where his breakfast was and sat him down in the chair.  Taemin murmmered a thank you, both for the breakfast and for the help, and began eating his meal.  Minho bowed to him and turned away, grabbing his coat and making for the exit, exicited to spend a day with his friend and his family.  Then he stopped.  He turned around once more to see Taemin still eating his meal.  He thought about it a little and realized that the prince wouldn't be able to get out of his seat with his harmed leg, let alone make the trip up the stairs.


    Minho put his coat back up on the hanger and sat down.  Because the maid was gone, no one else would be with Taemin if he left.  Not only was it his duty to protect the prince, but it would also have just been wrong to let the boy stumble his way around the empty palace with elaborate rugs built for tripping people and wonderful decorations perfect for running into.


    Taemin finished his meal and softly set his fork and knife down on the table.  Minho watched as Taemin looked up at the ceiling, contemplating how he was going to get out of his chair.  He was startled when the kitchenware disapeared from in front of him and he looked up at the person who had taken them.


    "I am staying here today," Minho said, trying to sound like he wasn't a force to be reasoned with.  Taemin usually would've disagreed with Minho and told him to take his day off, but this time he just nodded.  He didn't want to be alone today.

 



    Minho spent his day playing chess with Taemin, feeding Taemin, and carrying Taemin wherever he needed to go.  He day was filled with Taemin, like usual.  But today was different, today they talked.  They talked about anything and everything.  Small things, like favorite colors, and big things, like family matters.


    "Why do you eat the same thing for breakfast every morning, Prince Taemin?" Taemin tilted his head slightly, thinking. 


    "When I was little, my mother would make me breakfast.  She didn't know how to make anything else, so she made that for me every morning."  He smiled.  "Every time I eat it for breakfast, I'm reminded of when I was little and my mom wasn't busy all the time."


    The Queen was indeed a busy person, even busier than the King.  She was the real ruler of the Kingdom, the King behind the scences.  The King was merely an image, he did what his wife told him to do, said what she told him to say, and the Kingdom was peaceful.  That's what Taemin would be when he was crowned, merely an image. 


    Minho didn't have a response for this.  His mom was always there for him, and he saw her almost every Sunday when he went home to have dinner with his family. 


    "It's not like there's anything anyone can do about it," Taemin said, dismissing the topic.  He moved one of the small wooden structures on the forgotten board in between them.  "Do you have any siblings, Minho?"


    "I have two brothers and one sister," Minho replied, taking Taemin's knight and replacing it with his bishop.


    "Will you tell me about them?"


    And the day went on like this, only ending long after the sun had set. 

 



    Minho slowly opened his heavy eyelids, finding himself in a rather uncomfortable position.  He lazily adusted himself and looked around the room, confused as to why he wasn't in his own room.  He looked down at the chess board in front of him, then up to see Taemin curled up in a chair, his broken leg hanging akwardly off the side.  He smiled as the events from last night returned to his memory.  He had learned a lot about Prince Taemin yesterday.  He felt as though he knew enough to make up for the past three years of lack of communication.  Taemin was a genuinly good person, though he wasn't suprised to find that out; he had always suspected Taemin of being innocent. 


    Minho stood up and streched and yawned sleepily.  He grabbed a blanket off the back of the chair he just got up out of and spread it over Taemin's sleeping figure.  Taemin's head lolled to the other side, his alburn hair falling into his more than slightly opened mouth.  Minho looked at the boy for a few seconds, then turned towards the kitchen to make Taemin's breakfast.


    Minho remembered what Taemin said about his mother making him breakfast when he was little, and he tried to put as much motherly love into the food he was making.  The motherly love was so fierce, the bacon had gotten slightly burned, but since that was the last of the meat, he pretended he didn't notice. 
     A moment after Minho sat down the plate full of food, he heard rustling coming from the other room.  Minho quickly walked over to the waking Taemin and helped him off the chair and into another one in the dining room. 


    "Thank you," Taemin mumbled, still half asleep.  His eyelids were still droopy and he had trouble keeping his mouth closed.
    "You're welcome, Prince Taemin."  Minho held in his chuckle.  The younger boy looked really silly.


    Taemin picked up his fork, stabbing at the eggs.  He brought the mouthful to his lips only to have the food fall in his lap.  He frowned a little after his brain processed what happened.


    "Would you like a napkin, Prince Taemin?" Minho asked, already holding a napkin in his hand.


    Taemin nodded and took the napkin from Minho.  He quickly cleaned up the small mess and continuted eating.  He was about to begin on his toast, but paused. 


    "Minho?" Minho looked down at Taemin with questioning eyes, though Taemin was still looking at his toast.  "Would you please stop calling me Prince Taemin?  You can just call me Taemin."


    Minho titlted his head, confused. "I shall do as you wish, but why Pri-... Taemin?"


    "Because we are friends now, and I see no need for you to continue with that name.  I know I am a prince, you know I am a prince, so why must it be announced?" Taemin looked up at Minho and smiled.  Minho couldn't help but smile back. 


    "Of course, Taemin."  Minho liked the idea of having Taemin as a friend.  He had many 'friends' back in the commoner's land, but none of them were like Taemin.  Taemin was kind, fragile, and truely innocent.  All of his other friends were of wealthy staus, and thus were spoiled beyond rotten, rude, and, usually, horrible people.


    Taemin began eating once more and finished off his meal except for some blackened bits of bacon.  Minho threw those pieces in the trash and placed the plate and untensils in a bucket for someone else to wash.


    "My maid is coming back today," Taemin suddenly said.  "He should be here before night."


    "Then maybe we should dress you up nicer?  He will surely throw a fit if he sees you in those dirtly, rumpled clothes."  Taemin nodded and grabbed Minho outstretched arm, helping himself up.  They struggled up the stairs and made it to Taemin's room, changing into new clothes and awaiting the maid's return.

 

 

A/N- anyone think they know who the maid is?~

and i just realized my chapters are puny T-T

please comment~