Chapter 3

Jo Twins' Secret Family

-- Geum Min

 

Yoo Min and I continue doing our usual routine of penning down random thoughts on paper to distract ourselves in Mathematics class. I can never concentrate in that class. It’s so mindless and boring that I find myself starting to sleep if I don’t do anything fun to stop myself. Yoo Min feels the same too. That’s why we always pass notes in class – regardless of the time.

But sometimes Yoo Min would keep texting that special “someone” of hers. I still didn’t know who it is, and surprisingly, she still refuses to tell me. For the past two days, she’s been hooked to that phone as if it's her lifesaver. If not that, it's like she's in love with it or something.

Now, as I pass her another slip of paper, she turns to me with her phone hidden in her hand, sticks her tongue out, and turns stubbornly back to her phone. I’m taken aback. This is the first time she’s ever actually done that and now I’m stunned. I’m pretty sure that it’s someone really important whom she’s talking to right now. But judging by the way she keeps grinning like a maniac and struggling to hide her laughter from everyone… could it just be… Jeong Min from Boyfriend?

But did he really have her number? I know she has an extreme crush on him, but could it have gone to that extent?

Shaking my head at my crazy sister, I turn to pull my own phone out of my bag. The teacher’s back is turned and she doesn’t notice anything. Grinning, I open my contacts and find Young Min.

‘Young Min! Are you taking good care of Skye?’ I quickly text.

After a minute or two, my phone buzzes silently in my hand. ‘Aniyo. You didn’t ask me to, did you? ^^’

I bite my lip. Young Min has decided to be annoying today. ‘Yah! Is she alright? O.O’

‘Hmm, I think she doesn’t understand anything.’

My eyes widen. ‘But I thought her maths was good? O.O Are you sure you’re looking at the right girl?’

‘Oh yeah, good point. I was looking at someone else, keke. There’s Skye. And she’s asking Kwang a question.’

‘Hehe does she seem nervous?’

‘Yah Geummie why are you suddenly talking to me so much? What happened to your twin? Keke. And she seems fine, but she also looks confused.’

I glance over at Yoo Min and smile at her expression. She seems to be daydreaming. ‘Yoo Min is busy texting some random stranger who’s making her laugh like a crazy fangirl. -.- So imma pester you! :D I think if she asks Kwang for help it’ll be no use. You should tell her.’

‘Neh dongsaeng! *salutes* Oh, she said she’s just asking what the Korean word meant. It’s the one that says to write your name.’

Reading his reply, I have to restrain myself from laughing out loud in the middle of the silent classroom. ‘O.O seriously? Whao her Korean is a little lagging huh? Keke!’

‘Yah, I think it’s pretty funny. She looked so confused when Kwang explained it was just the name thing, then she started laughing at herself! :D So blur~’

Blur? ‘Young Min oppa I think she just might be more blur than you keke~ ^^’

‘What? NOOOOO! I’m the Blur Prince! I will ALWAYS be the most blur ever! *aegyo* And she doesn’t know Korean that’s why. :P’

I bite my lip to stop myself from rolling my eyes at my brother’s lame jokes. ‘Your aegyo is fail. :P But fine, you will forever be the most blur person on earth. (Is that a good thing?) just be careful since Skye will give you a run for your money!’

‘ANIYA!’

I try to spam him with more messages, but I think he decided to be grumpy and not reply. Sighing, I switch to Kwang Min and start punching out a short message: ‘Kwang are you helping Skye out?’

It takes longer for him to reply than for his twin to. ‘Hmm, she’s so blur, just like Young Min. She asked me what is “name”. -.- Her Korean is really very funny. She has an accent. But she’s smart too. She keeps doing the sums very fast.’

‘Well, she did say that her maths is good… :/ yah, don’t laugh at her accent! You’re so mean! :P’

Just before I hit send, another message makes my phone vibrate. ‘Oh… she only did the problems halfway keke~’

Deleting my previous message, I retype, ‘Keke is she that clueless? Hahaha.’

‘Aigoo, she told me she forgot her calculator, so she can only do the questions that don’t need it.’

I raise my eyebrows. ‘Where did she leave her calculator? O.O’

‘She left them in her bag, she says. Nevermind, she can borrow mine since she’s going so fast. She says she did this kind of questions before so they are easy.’

‘Yay! *claps* Kamsa for taking care of my new best friend!’ I type.

‘O.O New best friend? Uwa!’

I furrow my brows. ‘??? What’s wrong with that?’

‘Hmm, I must treat her better then, if she is my sister’s best friend~ :]’

‘Hey, do you mean you weren’t treating her well? Huhu T.T’

Kwang Min replies really fast this time. ‘Ani! I just said I must treat her SPECIAL now… keke~ Congrats! She seems like a very nice person~’

I roll my eyes. ‘Yah what are you thinking?’

‘Nothing? O.O’

‘You’re up to something… what is it?’

Kwang Min doesn’t reply any more. I sigh and stare at the teacher, who’s doing more boring sums on the board. Moving forward in my seat, I take a half-hearted glance through my worksheet and eventually decide that I really do not want to do any of them.

I stare at the ceiling above the white-board for a good few minutes, searching out each and every crack in them. When I get bored of that, I look down at my nails and realize I need to cut them. Suddenly my phone buzzes again, making me so shocked that I jump slightly in the chair. Hurriedly, I drag it out from under the table and open the message from Young Min.

‘Uwa your friend is smart! She already finished all the sums and is doodling now! O.O’

I smile, feeling much less bored all of a sudden. 'She told Kwang, who told me, that she’s done those sums before so she knows how to do them. ^^ That’s why she’s in your class, Blur Prince~ :D She likes to doodle? Are they cute?’

‘Kwang told me she’s your best friend. Hehehe, she’s doodling on his book. He keeps laughing and then stopping when the teacher turns around. Oops the teacher is coming!’

Frowning, I hurriedly type back, ‘Yah, don’t let her catch you with your phone! Eomma will kill you if you get in trouble!’

After a few long minutes, he replies, ‘Of course, I’m daebak! So I will never get caught! ^^v HAHA do you know what happened?’

‘Of course I don’t, Blur Prince. You haven’t told me yet :P What happened?’

‘Oh yeah I forgot keke~ Mianhe! XD Hmm, the teacher called Kwang to solve the problem since he was laughing so much.’

I roll my eyes this time. He didn’t continue the story! It is just like him to leave it hanging halfway. I shake my head as I type out another message: ‘Yah tell the story to the end! DX I hate it when you leave me hanging :P’

‘That’s why I do it! ^^v It makes you annoyed keke~ Anyway, Skye gave Kwang her notebook when the teacher didn’t see. Now Kwang did all the problems correctly and the teacher can’t say anything. Your friend is nice. :D’

‘That’s because she’s MY friend :P’

Kwang Min also sends me a text at that moment. ‘Your friend is super nice. She saved me from punishment keke~ :D *relieved*’

“Oh, and class, remember to do your homework –” my teacher says, and I look up briefly before going back to my phone.

Class is almost over now, and I can’t wait till Skye is back so Yoo Min would at least look up from her phone. Also, I want to talk to her about her eventful trip to my brother’s mathematics class. Luckily, the bell rings just then. With a grin, I stand up and stretch, before greeting the teacher good-bye and sitting back down. After a few minutes of waiting – even Yoo Min watches the door – Skye bursts through excitedly and all but runs to dump her stuff on her seat.

Before she can say anything, however, there’s another knock on the door and everyone in class turns to see a senior standing there. He bows quickly and informs us, “Your teacher isn’t free for lesson now, so you have a free period.”

As he leaves, there’s a general cheer, and Yoo Min and I knock fists with each other happily. We both turn and crowd our chairs around Skye’s seat, looking pleadingly at her to tell us all about her interesting trip to our brother’s class. We’ve never been there for a lesson, so I think it'll be incredibly exciting to hear about.

Just as Skye starts animatedly relating her story, I glance down at my phone – there's a new message. I check it, and it's from Young Min: ‘Do you know that Yoo Min is texting Jeong Min from Boyfriend? O.O’

‘KYAAAA REALLY?!?!?! :D:D THAT’S SO AWESOME KEKE!’ I spazz over the phone to him, looking innocently up at Skye – who has a queer glint in her eye – and rejoining the conversation.

“Yah, Skye, did you really forget your calculator?” I ask mischievously, trying to .

She jumps up. “The calculator! I forgot to return it to Kwang Min!”

Yoo Min laughs. “You should call him Kwang Min oppa. And you can give it to us – we’ll return it to him later. No worries!”

Skye looks apologetic as she digs the machine out of her bunch of papers – the whole year’s notes so far – and hands it to my twin. I catch her glance, and try to motion discretely for Yoo Min’s phone. My sister's so absorbed in her messages that she doesn’t notice me.

I mouth, ‘Distract her.’

Skye nods determinedly and walks over to Yoo Min’s other side – the only hint to us that she was up to a trick being that look in her eyes. As she starts talking randomly about things – immediately making my twin and me laugh, I thank goodness that she's good at pranks. If she isn't, Yoo Min will know what we're up to before she even finishes her first sentence. 

Soon, Skye says something that makes Yoo Min laugh so much that she sets the phone down on the table and covers her face to laugh. I grab this as the perfect opportunity to snatch her phone away and start reading her messages. It’s evil of me, I know, but I just want to confirm that it’s Jeong Min who she’s texting so vigorously.

And there it is on the screen: ‘A new text from Jeong Min Bubblegum !”

I turn to Yoo Min, hiding my overjoyed look with a fake scandalized one. “Yah, Yoo Min!” I ask, my eyes as wide as I can make it.

Skye winks at me, thrilled with our victory. I wave my twin’s handphone in her face, the pop-up message glaring out for the world to see. Her cheeks immediately flush red, and she looks embarrassed. She lunges for the phone, but I hold it out of her reach behind me. Skye grabs the phone and runs to the back of the classroom, keeping it hostage.

It’s official. That girl is definitely the best friend ever.

“Yah, it’s not fair that you both pair up against me!” Yoo Min wails, trying to find a way around me.

I smile widely and keep her from moving past me. As usual, the others in class just ignore what we’re doing – no matter how eye-catching and hilarious it is.

“Why didn’t you tell me?” I question, sending another cheeky grin her way. “You could have just said and it’d be fine!”

If it’s even possible, her cheeks turn even redder. “I didn’t know why he was texting me!”

“You didn’t…” I pick up on her choice of words. “So you do now. What did he want?”

Unable to restrain myself, I start jumping up and down. Skye also rejoins us from the back of the classroom, the phone still held safely in her hand. She gazes questioningly at Yoo Min.

“Jeong Min oppa says that… he wants to go out later. Like, on a… date.”

I nearly scream with happiness as Yoo Min drops her gaze, her whole face turning into a tomato. Skye is stunned, but by impulse she grabs us both and hugs us tight, jumping around excitedly. We laugh along with her hyperness, and I can tell Yoo Min feels slightly less embarrassed as her face loses some of its colour.

Congratulations!” she yells, more than overjoyed. She is… hyper.

Yoo Min grins at her and hugs her back, thanking her. After they break apart, though, Skye has a weird expression on her face.

“Who’s Jeong Min?”

I burst out laughing and Yoo Min looks torn – between laughter and embarrassment.

Still shaking with mirth, I mutter, “Best friend ever,” to her, holding out my hand for a high-five.

She grins back, “Sure! You’re the best friendever too! Let's dance to celebrate how happy we are!"

Then she breaks out into the most ridiculous dance I've ever seen. I nearly collapse onto the floor because I’m laughing so hard.

Grinning maniacally, she turns to Yoo Min, whose smile reaches her ears. “Join me?”

My twin breaks down too, joining me on the floor as I wipe my tears from my eyes.

“Best. Friend. Ever,” I confirm, and Yoo Min nods too, cradling her sacred phone in her hands.

It’s been a great day for all of us.