Chapter 1

Jo Twins' Secret Family

-- Geum Min

 

I glare at Yoo Min and give her a solid kick under the table. She bites her lip to stop herself from yelling out loud in front of our parents. Instead, when my parents happen to look in the other direction, she returns me a scathing look.

‘What was that for?!’ she mouths, her eyes wide and filled with annoyance.

‘Later,’ I mouth back, turning my attention back to my delicious food.

Sixteen-year old Young Min, who’s seated beside me, has noticed our short exchange. He sniggers softly. His twin brother sends him a questioning look, but Young Min shakes his head briefly and feigns nonchalance. My younger sister, Sun Min, chooses this moment to start choking after drinking her juice too fast, and Jeong Min, the oldest, taps her lightly on her back to ease the flow of air in her windpipe. She soon stops coughing and we all sigh in relief. Hyun Min giggles and smiles at his twin, immediately calming the young girl down.

Soon enough, dinner is over, and we all split up; my parents going to the living room to watch their Saturday-night drama, and the rest of us up to our rooms. Usually, we head down again after a short while to play some games as a family, or to just hang out with each other. Young Min and Kwang Min accompany my twin and me up to our room, though. Theirs is across the hall from ours. 

I really love my room. The bright yellow on the walls make everything seem bright, yet cozy. The curtains are plain white, and sway in the cool night breeze. In the far corner, there are two beds - I share with my sister - and the bottom one folds up into a desk when we're not sleeping. At night, I like to look out of the window at the night sky, watching the stars wink me to sleep. Adjoining our room is a small bathroom which is solely for the both of us. Our closet is nearer the bathroom, and beside my sister's desk. We both have laptops, and they’re currently charging but resting on top of her desk – along with most of my unfinished homework. Yoo Min, being the studious girl she is, has already finished hers. Her purple laptop and my red one match the covers on our beds.

One section of the wall near the door is painted a plain white. But that is also the most colourful wall in the room - not to mention my favourite - as we have all drawn on that wall. I tend to scribble things down onto the walls whenever I'm studying, and eventually my mother got fed up of having to clean the walls all the time. Instead, she gave us a portion of the wall to write whatever we want. Other than some equations, the wall is filled with memoranda and messages from various members of the family. Majority of it is filled with some of my twin's and my favourite quotes. 

As soon as we enter the room, Yoo Min turns to me and taps her foot impatiently, her eyes shooting sparks. The older two lounge on our beds and wait for the fun to begin.

I glance mischievously at my twin, knowing that she desperately wants to know what the issue was, earlier. “I just wanted to tease you,” I say, anticipating an outburst.

Yeah, I'm random that way. On first sight you may think, "Hey, this girl looks quiet and gentle, and real trustworthy." In other words - I look boring. But when you really get to know me, you see through that facade and realise I can be quite a handful.

My sister regards me for a short while, then whacks my arm. “Revenge,” is her only word to me before she turns and sits down next to Kwang Min on her bed. We sit in the room together, chatting easily about our days.

“I want to have a shower,” Young Min suddenly remarks, standing up abruptly from my bed and stretching slightly as he takes a step towards the door.

Kwang Min looks surprised. “I just wanted to do that too!”

“Why do you both want to have showers all of a sudden?” I ask, curious.

“Oh, we had a hectic schedule today –” Young Min begins.

Kwang Min continues, “And we want to wash the grime from today off.”

The blonde twin turns back to me and yawns a little, taking another few lazy steps towards the door. Unnoticed, his younger brother stands up and quietly runs towards the door, reaching it first and grasping the doorknob. When Young Min notices, he immediately speeds off towards the door and holds Kwang Min in place. They both fight over the doorknob – both wanting to go shower first.

“Let me go first!” Kwang Min yells, knocking the other boy away as he tries to open the door with no luck.

“I’m older! I get to go first!”

Yoo Min grins, “That’s what we did agree, Kwang Min oppa.”

Kwang Min sends me a pleading look. “Just this once? Please?”

“Why not? You always get to go first, Young Min, so why not just let Kwang Min go first this time?” I help to argue for Kwang Min. Younger twins band together in times of need!

“Yah, you younger twins are pairing up against us again!” Yoo Min comments playfully, and she joins me next to the two boys who are still wrestling each other.

I grin, ever up for another round of debating between the older and younger twins. “It’s just for one time!”

“Neh,” Kwang Min’s muffled voice comes at us – he’s somewhere squashed between Young Min and the wall. “We’re all twins here, and we’re born together, so we should have equal privileges!”

“Neh!” I agree, tugging Young Min off his younger twin.

“Yah!” the older ones shout at us, Yoo Min settling her hands on her hips. “We all agreed that as older twins, we get the privilege of going to shower first!”

“But, just this once?” Kwang Min and I wail in unison.

“It’s just one time! Young Min ah, please? I did so much more than you today,” Kwang Min continues.

Young Min starts, “No –”

“Young Min, are you really going to make your younger brother suffer like that?” I ask, staring at him with big, baleful eyes. “Since you’re the older twin, shouldn’t you actually be the one protecting the younger one?”

Kwang Min stares at me. ‘Protect?!’ he mouths, surprised.

“You should be the one making sure that the younger one is always alright. See, if it was Hyun Min who was competing with you, wouldn’t you let him go first?” I continue, trying to win the argument.

‘I don’t need protection!’ Kwang Min mutters under his breath, and I push him slightly to make him keep quiet.

“Aish, you two!” Young Min sighs, giving up.

He steps away from the door, and an overjoyed Kwang Min hurries to get into the shower before the older boy changes his mind. Young Min shakes his blonde hair out of his eyes and sits back down on my bed, patiently waiting for his twin to finish. Yoo Min sits down across from him on her own bed and I fit myself into the work chair by my desk. I pick up a pen and start half-heartedly scribbling down answers to the many questions my teachers have set me.

Yoo Min suddenly springs upright and glances over at our brother, an excited look on her face. “Oppa, how was rehearsal today?”

Young Min tilts his head, considering the question. “It was alright – maybe more tiring than usual? We keep doing the same warm-ups and practices we always do, but the number keeps increasing all the time. They’re also making us train our voices more so that when we come up with our new album, it’ll be better than what we’ve done before.”

“You guys already work hard. Fans say you're the best debut group ever,” I remark, lifting my head from my homework. "Of course, most of them don't know you for the headless people you are, they actually think you're good-looking!"

He shoots me a look, but continues, too tired to rebutt me, “Manager hyung wants us to be better so that we can get to be one of the best groups around. We also want to keep improving. It’s hard, but we’re getting used to it.”

Yoo Min smiles. I know that smile, and I figure out that she’s up to something.

“How’s the rest of Boyfriend?”

I cover my laughter with a soft cough as I bend my head further towards my homework. As I keep writing, I hide my smirk from my brother. Of course, Yoo Min always has an ulterior motive no matter what she does. She looks innocent (so do I), but there’s always something ticking away in our brains. In Yoo Min’s case, she’s asking to find out about a certain guy.

We’ve met all the members of Boyfriend before, thanks to our brothers. Being the Jo Twin’s sisters does have its perks. They’re all really nice people and very fun to be with. Sometimes, we’d sit with them during the breaks we have for training, and we’d admire them as they practiced. I liked the way they danced to Let’s Get It Started – since it was an upbeat song, and it was funny to see my elder brothers making mistakes every now and then. Of course, every time we got back home and they needed help with the moves, they’d come to the amazing Jo Twins (of course I mean my twin and I) and we'd do our best to help them out.

I like dancing, you see. Personally, I think dancing is just the way your body moves to the rhythm, so it’s my theory that anyone can dance. YoungKwang definitely have the determination to prove themselves, so it’s much easier to teach and guide them than it would be for anyone else I know. Pretty soon after they came to me to help them out, they got the moves. It’s mostly to do with the amount of practice they put in.

Anyway, it was during one of the photoshoots – when they were shooting for one of the many Korean reality shows, that Yoo Min first went crazy. We were sitting in a corner of the room, watching our friends have fun in front of the camera, chatting with Hyun Seung (who didn’t much like the camera), and helping set up the stage for their Let’s Get It Started music video. Yoo Min nearly tripped over her own feet, but she stood up again and had this extremely weird expression on her face.

Her eyes were focused only on one sight, and she wasn’t listening to me. Even when I called her like, a trillion times, she still refused to respond. Eventually I had to snap my fingers in front of her face to break her out of her daze. She turned and faced me, with this maniacal smile on her face. Then she collapsed on me and started fangirling into my tee-shirt.

Why? She saw Jeong Min from Boyfriend blowing that bubble of his.

Yes, she claimed it was the cutest thing she ever saw. I don't even know why she thinks that, I mean, she's known him for ages already, for heavens' sake! But since then, she always had one eye fixed on him, noticing his every move. I swear, she’s absolutely in love with him! When the boys moved over to the black set to film their intro music video, she went ballistic and started jumping up and down for the sole reason that she noticed Jeong Min being ‘cute’ by chewing gum while dancing. Meanwhile, I was admiring how much my brothers had improved their dancing skills – they were now the main dancers in the group, and the manager gave them a whole dance routine to themselves. It was intense and vigorous, and Young Min took a while to get it, but eventually he got there.

Basically, my point is that when Yoo Min asked about ‘the rest of Boyfriend’, she really wanted to know about one of the members – Jeong Min.

“Oh, actually, Jeong Min hyung is making a lot of improvements with his dancing. He’s getting much better now,” Young Min pauses to smile. “Min Woo has started rapping randomly in the middle of our practice sessions for no reason, and Hyun Seung hyung keeps playing tricks on us. Dong Hyun hyung is always talking about how amazing our fans are and that we’ve been a band for a hundred days now. It’s changed, but we’re more comfortable with being idols now.”

I turn around to glance at Yoo Min. She has a happy smile on her face at hearing about her idol, and Young Min looks thoughtful. Grinning, I turn back to my schoolwork.

“Hey,” I come up with an idea, shoving my worksheets aside. “Let’s play a game of Nerf!”

Young Min jumps up. “Great idea!”

Yoo Min steps over to me and grips my hand. “Girls against boys!”

Jeong Min opens the door to that comment. “For what?”

“Jeong Min!” I yell, getting caught up in the excitement. “Nerf! Go get your headquarters with Young Min!”

Jeong Min backs out the door, but pauses, “What about Kwang Min?”

“He can take this as payback for showering first. Let’s start!” Young Min says, running out the door and dragging the older boy with him to find the perfect hideout.

Yoo Min and I grab a Nerf gun each, and many, many refill packs. We have tons of them lying around, collected from our numerous games over the years. Cheering our war yell, we girls sprint down to the hallway and set up our customary headquarters behind the sofas in the living room. It’s the perfect place since it’s a little squeezy, so the guys really find it hard to get all the way inside to reach our base in order to hijack it. Furthermore, there’s the perfect little niche where we both can hide – but enough space so that we can shoot up like mushrooms and open fire at them.

“Yah! Where are you guys?!” I hear Kwang Min yell from upstairs. I giggle with Yoo Min and duck down, just before he comes thundering down the stairs. “Geum Min, I see your nerf gun back there!”

I laugh and turn to see Kwang Min at the opening to our hideout. He valiantly tries to fold his long legs enough to fit in. However, he doesn’t fit – and so he’s stuck outside as we hand him ammunition and a gun.

“You’re the scout,” I tell him, chuckling at his wet and messy hair.

“I just had a shower…” I hear him mutter as he fingers his gun and runs off in the vague direction of the boys’ hideout.

Yoo Min bursts into laughter as she hears the first yell from Kwang Min. “It looks like the other two have been waiting for him!”

I see a line of Nerf bullets come flying through the opening from the living room to the hallway. Just then, my mother walks out of the kitchen. The fire pauses for a while, and once she’s at the opening, the boys on the other side open fire and she’s hit.

Turning to face them sternly, she frowns, “Not again, all of you! At least clean up this time!”

“Neh, Eomma,” Kwang Min, the only one who’s in plain view, meekly says.

Yoo Min and I duck down behind the sofas, wiping away our tears of laughter. As mother walks away, shaking her head, I hear another gasp from Kwang Min.

“Yah,” he protests, “I was busy talking to Eomma!”

Young Min appears then, “I don’t care, and a shot is a shot!” With an evil smile, he targets the opening as Kwangmin rushes to theirs.

I emerge from my hiding spot and bravely point the gun at my running brother. As soon as he’s within range, I let out a yell, startling him, while I start shooting. The six bullets in my little ammunition box all hit him on the head, and he drops his gun as he tries to cover his face. Yoo Min hands me another refill pack – a bigger one this time, as she also takes aim and shoots him. I spy his gun lying on the ground and get an idea. Winking at my twin, I silently clamber over the sofa to grab his gun without him noticing. It’s only after I’m safely back in the hideout and slapping palms with Yoo Min that he realizes he’s weaponless.

“Hey! You stole my gun!” he points at me, looking annoyed.

I shrug, “It’s not illegal!”

"Now what am I supposed to do?” Young Min groans, slowly tramping back to his own headquarters.

Kwang Min runs into the living room at that exact moment, jumping around and yelling with victory. “I hijacked them!”

Yoo Min and I spill over the sofa and rush to engulf him in a victory hug. Jeong Min and Young Min, the Losing Side, pick up their guns (Young Min grabs Kwang Min’s discarded one) and they start shooting us as we celebrate. Growling, I act aggressive and tackle Young Min to the ground for his gun.

"Give it to me!”

Young Min is very surprised, but he keeps his grip on his gun. “Ani! You already stole one of my guns!”

“This is Kwang Min's gun! And he’s on my team, not yours!”

Kwang Min chuckles, “Geum Min-ah, just take this one, will you?” he says as he hands one extra gun to me.

I grin and take the gun, turning immediately to drown Young Min with bullets. At the end of the hallway, I see Yoo Min struggling to hit Jeong Min – Kwang Min decides to go and help out.

Behind me, I hear my mother's tired voice remark, “I almost tripped over the orange thing again. They’ve made the whole place a mess!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/n: dedicated to rainbowgeum_min for being an amazing new friend and for giving me the idea for this fanfic. I hope you like it! :D