Chapter 10

Jo Twins' Secret Family

-- Geum Min

 

After the whole fiasco with Young Min and Yoona at the mall, Yoo Min and I are at home and just chilling out with the usual gang - our brothers, Jeong Min and Min Woo from the band, and the new addition of Skye. The boys are all playing this video game. It's car-racing, and the sounds of accelerating cars fills the room. Occasionally, the boys would yell out threats to each other as they overtake or send power-ups after them. The three of us girls would have liked to play, but there's not place for seven players, so we're just sitting and chatting while watching them.

"So, tell me everything that happened!" Skye begs us in a low voice, so that the others can't hear.

Yoo Min starts laughing afresh. "Oh, it was just epic, I swear!"

"Gosh why did I have to miss that?!" Skye moans, a look of regret on her face.

"It's okay," I assure her. "We'll definitely tell you all about it!"

So, between fits of giggles, we relate the tale to our friend, who collapses on the bed with mirth. The four racers keep looking at us to figure out what we are talking about. Young Min happens to catch me doing an imitation of his face as Yoona fell on him, and on seeing that he turns red and keeps his attention on the game. The other three, however, look as confused as ever. Kwang Min, especially, catching on to what we're talking about, keeps turning around to send inquiring glances at us, but I motion to him that we'll tell him later. He grins and returns to the game, sending a bullet from his car that hits his twin's car.

Skye is still shaking with laughter, and watching her laugh so violently is making me feel like laughing too. Yoo Min is also giggling with the memory of the looks on their faces.

"Oh, even the ahjumma in the shop was laughing at him," she tells our friend, who bursts into another fit of giggles.

"I think we should take a break," she pants between her giggles. "My stomach is hurting from laughing so much!"

I give her a wolfish grin. "It was funnier while we were there. We nearly knocked a rack of jewelry down laughing at them!"

"Laughing at whom?" Min Woo asks suddenly from behind me, making me jump. 

I turn my head and see that they game has ended, with Young Min the winner - probably because he was the only one focusing on the game. Jeong Min, Min Woo, and Kwang Min mill around the bed, looks of curiosity on their faces. Yoo Min, Skye and I shuffle towards the wall and move closer to each other so that the boys have place to sit. Young Min switches off the game console and announces that he'll get us some drinks, before he exits the room with a red face.

Yoo Min shrugs at his question, and Skye tries desperately to stifle her laughter. "Young Min had a meeting with Yoona," I say nonchalantly, eyeing them for their reaction.

Kwang Min's breaks out into a cheshire-cat grin, but Jeong Min and Min Woo's reactions were more explosive. Jeong Min's eyes bulged, and his mouth dropped open.

"Yoona? From SNSD, that Yoona?" he repeated, blinking faster than needed.

Min Woo looked equally - if not more - stunned. "How in the world did he get to meet her?!"

"Why didn't you invite us along, huh?" Jeong Min nudges his new girlfriend, who sticks her tongue out at him.

"Why do you want to see Yoona, anyway, huh?" she teases him back, and he immediately turns a shade of pink.

I turn to Min Woo to answer his question. "She accidentally texted him, and then she realised her mistake, but she thought it was cute. So Yoo Min and I took over Young Min's phone to invite her to the mall, and that's how they met. It was so hilarious!"

"Tell us!" Kwang Min insists, bouncing slightly with excitement.

Yoo Min opens to start the story, when our blonde-haired brother walks in through the door with a tray of drinks and snacks - a bag of chips. Everyone falls silent as he walks over to us to serve the food and drinks, but Skye can't hold in her laughter as she takes a cup of Ribena from the tray. Yoo Min, next to her, lightly whacks her knee. She mouths an apology to her.

Young Min clears his throat but remains standing awkwardly there, unsure of what to do. "Uhm, I think I'm going to go make lunch for us, since you guys are... busy."

He immediately turns and nearly runs as he makes his escape from the awkward situation. The six of us on the bed find his actions very amusing. 

"I'm still embarrassed to be related to him," my twin says to me, and we slap palms. 

Kwang Min looks sober for a minute. "Imagine having the same face as him! It's ten times worse!"

"Too bad," I shrug, laughing.

"Anyway, let's get on with the story!" Jeong Min insists, waving a hand between us to snap our attention back to the task at hand. 

With an evil grin, Yoo Min starts regaling the audience with the tale for the second time, Skye and I pitching in with random comments. Everyone has nearly collapsed from the hilarity of it all, even the three of us girls, even though we were there, and Skye has heard the story before. The event is just too funny.

Min Woo's clutching my shoulder and shaking with laughter at the same time. "He actually knocked into her? What a clumsy person!"

Jeong Min and Kwang Min are too busy laughing to comment. My brother loses his balance for a second, and slips into Skye, who stops laughing abruptly with shock. Their faces nearly touch, and they both turn pink before they look away from each other, chuckling awkwardly. Skye runs her hand through her hair, brushing it so that it covers her face a little. I grin on seeing this - I'll tease them both about this later. Meanwhile, the other guys start howling with mirth even more, if possible.

"I think it runs in the family," Jeong Min chokes out, tears running down his face.

The door opens just then, and Young Min sticks his head around it, looking dolefully at us. Everyone quietens down immediately, the boys hurriedly stifling their laughter.

"Are you done laughing at me and Yoona-noona yet?"

That just makes us laugh harder.

 

 

 

The wind is pleasant and cooling as I stroll down the street with Min Woo. It's just the two of us, since the others can't be bothered to leave the house. We volunteered to go to the store and buy ice cream for us all. The others decided to get the Nerf guns ready for a round of it with my brother Jeong Min-oppa. We decided that we'd break into pairs and have it as every pair for themselves. I have an evil plan in mind, involving a certain girl Yoo Min and I recently got to know.

But, for now, I'm enjoying spending time with Min Woo. We often do go places together like this, alone, but that's because we've been friends for a very long time. I've known him since I was really young, and we basically grew up together. He's really cute, but he does get a little protective over me at times. I guess he does treat me like a little sister, which is completely expected, since his best friends happen to be my older brothers. 

I actually do feel very comfortable with Min Woo. It's like we can talk about anything and everything, and we'll still be comfortable with each other. We even once told each other about our ideal types, and we teased each other about it too, but there was no awkwardness between us at all. I like to think we're more than friends, so I think we're a lot like brother and sister. It's a really nice relationship, and I feel lucky to know him as well as I do.

He smiles at me as he opens the door to the supermarket and we step in. It's slightly cooler than it is outside, because everything needs to be kept cool, hence why the air-condition is always functioning. We stroll over to the icebox full of lollies and tubs of ice cream. 

"What do you think we should get? How about strawberry?" he asks, pointing out a huge tub of ice cream in the corner.

I almost nod at him, when I catch sight of a few brightly coloured wrappers. "Ani!" I yell a little too loudly, and I immediately slap a hand over my mouth and lower my volume, which makes him chuckle. "There's rainbow ice cream."

"You still like that?"

"Of course!" I say, slightly offended at his tone. "It's the best ice cream ever!"

He shrugs. "I think strawberry is better."

"It is not!"

"Is too!"

"Not!"

We have a stare-off for a few seconds. I cross my arms and take up as intimidating a stance as I can, but judging from the way his lips keep twitching - as if he wants to smile - my effort isn't paying off. 

"Fine," I compensate finally, opening the icebox and reaching for three of the pink wrappers. "Skye, Yoo Min and I will happily enjoy our rainbow ice cream while you and the other tasteless boys make do with strawberry."

He grins, pulling out the tub of strawberry ice cream. "We'll be happier than you guys. You'll regret, wait and watch!"

I stick my tongue out at him and make my way over to the counter, placing the ice cream on top. Min Woo follows suit. 

"You're paying," I tell him, and with an evil smile, I run out of the shop. 

As I look back, I can see him shaking his head, laughing at something the ahjumma says. He hands over the money and walks out with the bag of ice cream, grinning at me. 

"Happy now?" he questions, waving the bag of ice cream in my face.

I eye it hungrily. "You know, there's definitely one thing about rainbow ice cream that beats your strawberry any day," I remark, taking the bag from him.

He raises an eyebrow skeptically.

Lifting a packet out of the bag, I explain, "Unlike your strawberry ice cream, I can eat my rainbow ice cream right now."

"But I can have as much strawberry ice cream as I want," Min Woo argues back. "You only have that one stick of ice cream."

"I don't want more than this one stick of ice cream."

"What if you do?"

I give him a look. "If I want more, I'll buy more. Same as you would with your strawberry ice cream."

"But I'd never want more than this huge tub of ice cream."

"That's what I said - I'd never want more than this stick of ice cream," I reply, and there's nothing he can say to that.

Happily, I peel open the wrapper and throw it into a bin I pass on the way home. Then, I start enjoying my ice cream, exaggerating how much I like it so that Min Woo can see. He rolls his eyes. 

He asks me a question out of the blue, "You know we're coming back soon, right?"

I nod, a little sad. Once they make their comeback, it'll be harder for us to catch them and have fun like we are now. They'll be too busy training and preparing for their comeback. I'm not even sure if Youngkwang will have time to come back home anymore - they might decide to just stay at Boyfriend's dorm to save time and energy. It's not something I'm looking forward to, but it's necessary if they want to be successful in the Korean music industry.

"I have something for you after we make our comeback," Min Woo tells me cryptically. 

I perk up at his words, curious. "What?"

"Shh, it's a surprise," he says, laughing at my crestfallen expression.

"Why do I have to wait?" I ask impatiently, making my eyes wide and sad as I stare at him.

He laughs. "Because it won't be a surprise if you don't wait."

"That doesn't make much sense," I protest.

"You just have to wait, then."

 

 

 

 

A/n: Okay, this is the first of five Christmas updates! The other four will be on Sunday, Christmas Day, itself. Okay? :D Look forward to it! :D