Chapter 22

Jo Twins' Secret Family

-- 

 

Kwang Min panics, not knowing what on Earth to do. Time seems to slow down, and all he can think about is that one small misstep that led to... this.

"Are you OK?" he asks, the only thing he can think of doing.

Skye grimaces, her lips twisting awkwardly. "Uhm, I think I should be... OK... soon..."

He gives himself a mental slap - obviously she's not okay, not from the way she looks right now. But he has no idea what else he can do, she's just lying there on the ground, not able to move, her eyes resolutely not watering although her ankle must really hurt.

"Do you think you can walk if I support you?" he crouches down, ready to stick his arm around her in order to help her up as soon as she gives the go-ahead.

She doesn't say anything, afraid her voice will shake with the pain. Gritting her teeth in order to brace herself, she nods. Within seconds, the boy slides his arm around her waist, and she grips his shoulder as he swiftly but gently lifts her up. She leans more of her weight on her right foot, the uninjured one. Skye doesn't even remember how it happened, that's how fast it occurred. One second she was walking normally, laughing at one of Kwang Min's jokes, and the next she's on the ground and her ankle is a sea of pain. 

He asks her to try and place some of her weight on her injured foot, and gingerly, she does so. When a fiery arc of pain greets her efforts, she gasps and clings on to her companion for support. 

"Looks like that failed," she remarks with a casual tone. Her voice quivers, though, and he can tell she's hurting.

"I'm going to support your weight, just try and hop a little so that I can get you to my house, alright? It's closest."

Thank goodness they're out of the city center, he thinks, as he helps her move forward three steps. They move at a snail's pace, though.

She shakes her head at his suggestion, though. "Jin Ae will be there, won't she?"

He hisses. "You're hurt, and she doesn't matter. Let's just say I happened to be there when you fell on your way out of the place you work, and I decided to help you out."

Skye opens to protest, but he cuts her off, "You don't have any say in the matter, I'm going to drag you to my place since it's just down the street anyway."

Resignedly, she nods. Most of her attention is focused on the pain in her ankle, though. She's twisted her ankle countless times, but this doesn't feel like one of those times. Slightly worried, she tries to rotate her foot. The pain she feels when she does that nearly makes her pass out, and for a second she slumps against Kwang Min, setting him severely off-balance.

"You alright?" he asks, concern colouring his tone.

She doesn't respond, and he can see that she's deathly pale. "Kwang Min," she says softly. "I think I've broken my ankle."

It doesn't get through his head the first time she says it, so she repeats herself. 

"What? You... I didn't hear it snap, though!"

Gritting her teeth, she clarifies, "I can't even move it, and it feels like something is grinding against something. And the pain is sharp and intense. Plus, I fell with my whole weight on it..."

He frowns, but tries to double his speed towards his house. Just a few more steps... Anxiously, he glances down at her feet to make sure he doesn't hurt her with his increase in speed. She's holding her leg in the air slightly, and she's holding her leg perfectly still. However, with every jerk on the way, her foot jerks along, and she winces. But the angle of her ankle...

As they get nearer the house, he hears a commotion. Geum Min comes flying out of the door at that instant, and when she catches sight of the pair outside, she stops short. 

"Skye?!" she yelps in disbelief. Then she notices her awry ankle. 

Wincing, she dashes over to grab her friend's other side, and they half-carry her into the house. Yoo Min gasps as she sees what has happened as the trio enters the doorway. 

"EOMMA!" she yells urgently.

The yell attracts the attention of her mother, who runs down the stairs along with her son Jeong Min and Young Min. Min Woo and Jeong Min from Boyfriend peek out from the kitchen, and Jin Ae emerges, flustered, from the living room.

"Oh my goodness, what happened?" Eomma gasps, and she directs Yoo Min to call the hospital. "Get an ambulance," she says.

Jin Ae stomps her way right up to the injured girl and stands in front of her with her hands on her hips. "What are you doing here?!" she demands.

Skye, still clinging to her two friends, gives her a lazy smile. "I'm visiting you," she says, half-dazed.

Then her eyes roll up in her head and she slumps.

 

 

 

 

-- Geum Min

 

 

"Jin Ae," I hiss, pinching her arm as she stands there glaring at the back of the ambulance.

She turns and glares at me, and I give her one of my own as I ponder what to say. I had a chat with my sister, and what she told me shocked me to the bones for a good while. Now I'm just angry. This girl, this ungrateful creature whom we have been sheltering graciously in our house, has deigned to do something like this. We treated her so... civilly, and this is how she repays us - by threatening one of our friends to try and get close to us. 

And I know why she did it, too. She wants the fame. My brothers are young and already made famous by the band and the Korean music industry, and she wants a part of that. My sister and I, as well, are going to be famous, whenever we debut, and that's probbaly the reason why she wants to be our "best friend" all of a sudden. 

This is what you call selfish. This is also what you call a fake person. 

A flame ignites and threatens to overwhelm me from within. I'm sure that if I say anything, I'll explode like a popped balloon. Trying to dispel my anger, I clench my fists and raise my eyes to meet Jin Ae's own - she's staring at me curiously, as if she doesn't get that I'm angry with her. 

Then, suddenly, Eomma moves into my field of vision, and all the fight whooshes out of me in one breath. I have to be civil to Jin Ae, since she is my Eomma's friend's daughter. And I am above her - she hurt me, but that doesn't mean I have to react like a little girl and blow my top. An eye for an eye? Well, as they say, that would make the whole world blind. Frowning, I begin to address the witch.

"Skye is a good friend of mine," I start, and her eyes narrow. "I would appreciate if you didn't interfere with our friendship."

"It's not like Skye is doing anything to you, either," my brother adds from beside me, his arms crossed and a fire blazing in his eyes. 

I glance over to where my sister is standing next to Skye as she's being strapped onto a cart by one of the nurses. The ambulance had arrived a short while after she fell unconscious, and the nurses had taken over after that. Yoo Min had also been smart enough to call her parents, and they would be meeting their daughter at the hospital. Her mother had sounded incredibly worried, her voice shaking as she talked to my sister, or so my twin told me. 

"She's not a very nice person," Jin Ae says now, and I turn my gaze back on her, regarding her with disdain - daring her to continue talking. "I knew her before, and she's not the kind of person you normally hang out with."

Anger building, I control my voice and calmly say, "Then who do you think are the kind of people I like to hang out with?"

Shrugging, she replies, "Well, I can't say for sure but I just know that she's not someone you would like to be around."

"How do you know?" Kwang Min asks.

"I just do. Gut instinct!"

I sizzle. There's no way I trust that hag's gut instinct, oh no. My friends are my friends until I, and I alone, decide that they're not. Not even my own twin sister can dictate whom I should spend my time with. And if she can't, then neither can this girl who doesn't understand me and whom I don't like very much.

My brother and I stare Jin Ae down, and we only turn back to the ambulance when she huffs and stomps off inside the house. We're just in time to see the vehicle drive off, and Yoo Min making her way towards us, a frown on her face.

"I am going to kill that girl," she starts, but I hold out an arm and stop her in her tracks.

"We already talked to her," I say, and I motion towards the retreating ambulance, "do you want to head over to the hospital?"

Eomma overhears. "Dinner's ready now, and Skye is unconscious. You should eat and then go, I'll drive you myself."

"Eomma," Kwang Min protests, but she's ready for him.

Holding up a hand, she says, "No arguments. Time will be needed for doctors to tend to her, and her parents will be there for her. An extra entourage -" she motions to all of us, "is not needed. We will go after we have eaten, and she will still be there. Hopefully, she'll be awake by then."

Then, like a mother hen, she shoos us all inside the house. 

 

 

 

 

-- 

 

Things are fuzzy as she wakes up. She can barely make out the blurred figures of people hovering around her, and everything is white. The antisceptic smell of disinfectant permeates everything, and in some hollow place at the back of her mind, it registers that she is in the hospital. 

That means the soft little bed she's lying down on is a hospital bed, and the people around her dressed in white are nurses. Feeling proud of herself for reaching that conclusion, Skye squints until her everything in her vision comes into focus. 

"Are you alright, Skye?" the worried voice of her mother says.

She slides her gaze along to the right, and her mother's face comes into view. Her mother is clenching her hand tightly, knuckles white, and her expression is tight. 

Before she can reply, however, an army of nurses swarm down on her and start checking up on her - shining lights into her eyes, taking her blood pressure, and holding up fingers. Flustered, Skye answers each and every one of their questions as best she can. Eventually, they nod, satisfied, and they troop out of the room. One nurse pauses to introduce herself before doing so, and she asks the pair - Skye and her mother - to please press the button located next to the bed if there is any problem.

Finally, Skye turns to her mother to answer her question. "I'm okay, Mom."

"Are you sure?"

Smiling weakly, Skye says, "Absolutely tip-top shape, don't worry."

In response, her mother passes a hand over her face. "You broke your ankle."

The girl on the bed slips her free hand under her body and pushes herself up, ignoring the sudden dizziness. After a few moments, her head clears, and she can see her ankle buried under a mountain of white bandaging. Just her toes peek out of the package, spots of pale skin on top. 

"How did it happen?" she asks now, watching her daughter warily.

"I fell for a boy," Skye replies with a grin, which widens as her mother smiles.

"I'm serious."

"Me too - I was walking with a boy and I fell."

"Since when do you go walking with boys? Should I be worried?" Skye's mom asks, her tone more teasing now. Her daughter only jokes when she's really feeling okay. So if she's in the mood to joke, her ankle must not be bothering her that much.

Skye winks at her mother. "You know me, I've had a million and one boyfriends in my time."

Of course, she's only joking, and her mother knows that. Skye has never had a boyfriend in her life. And once upon a time, she would have said that she didn't ever have feelings for any boy... but now it's not the case. She can't deny her blooming feelings for -

"Skye," her mother says, rather insistently.

"Yeah?"

"Are you sure you're okay? You seem to have zoned out a little..."

"I'm fine, Mom," Skye insists again. "I really did zone out. I was thinking of something. Why, did you ask me anything?"

Her mother nods. "I asked who this boy was."

Skye's cheeks suddenly flood with colour - she can't help it - and her mother, noticing, raises an eyebrow. Well, her little girl is finally growing up!

"You know, my friends' brother," she says, stalling.

Grinning, the older woman teases her a little. "Which one was it, the three-year old?"

Skye grimaces. "Hyun Min is five. And no, I mean one of the twins."

"Isn't that little boy a twin?"

"The older twins!"

"Aren't they girls?"

"Mom! Stop being dense, I mean the older twin boys!"

"Both of them?"

Skye groans. Laughing heartily, her mother says, "You know how much I love to annoy you."

"I'm an invalid. Anyone would think that would get me a break, but no, I'm still being heartlessly teased!" she complains.

Becoming more serious, the elder asks, "Aren't the older twins famous?"

Skye colours more. "Yeah..."

"Oh, has my daughter fallen head over heels for an idol?"

"Better, she's fallen and proclaimed her undying love for him by breaking her ankle!" Skye exclaims, mock-dramatically, as she gestures towards her tightly-bound ankle. 

"Who's done what?" Kwang Min asks, sticking his head inside the ward awkwardly. 

Skye stares.

Then Geum Min walks in confidently, brushing past her brother. "I thought I heard your voice in here, Skye."

Said girl finally reacts to their sudden appearance, muttering, "Speak of the Devil, indeed."

Her mother, catching that comment, struggles to hide a smile as she gives the "devil" the once-over. She decides she approves.

"Hi. Who's here right now?" the patient asks Geum Min, a little apprehensively. She signals her friend with her eyes, perfectly sure that the latter knows whom she's referring to.

Cheerfully, Geum Min replies, "Oh, you know, it's just us. And Eomma."

Skye visibly relaxes, and she shoots her friends a big smile. Young Min and Yoo Min follow behind, and their mother brings up the rear. 

"Jeong Min-oppa is taking care of Hyunsun," Geum Min clarifies. "And the younger Jeong Min went back to his band."

Both the older women introduce themselves to each other, and then subsequently sit down to chat as the younger ones line themselves up beside Skye's bed - the twin girls grin at her as they settle themselves on her little cot. 

"How are you feeling now?" Young Min asks.

"Great."

He looks skeptical. "After you break your ankle, you feel great? Let's go play football then!"

Skye rolls her eyes. "You know what I mean. How did you know I broke my ankle, though?"

"Eomma asked someone outside," Yoo Min says, playing with a lock of her hair. 

"You look like Bigfoot," Geum Min jokes. "Only, you have one big foot rather than two, so you're some kind of mutant Bigfoot."

Everyone laughs, even the two mothers.

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/n: heeheehehe it got boring so I added drama inside :P Thank you all the lovely readers out there! And please comment! Ppyong~