Chapter 21

Jo Twins' Secret Family

-- Yoo Min

 

There's something up with Min Woo and Geum Min. They're acting up. When I saw Jin Ae drag him off, I felt a little pissed off at her. I mean, she's obviously trying to flirt with him, and I disapprove of how she tries to flirt with every guy she sees. She doesn't even care if the guy is available. Recently, I've kept Jeong Min-oppa out of the house. There's no way I'm going to let her get anywhere near him. It's not that I don't trust him, I don't trust her. She'll try and work her charms on him, and I'll get mad and jealous, and I'll kick her to the moon while my boyfriend laughs his head off, totally not bothered. And then I'll get teased till the day I die. So, no. That's not an option. Oppa must be kept out of the house, away from that hag.

But the point is, my sister's face was like a thundercloud. I've never seen her that way. Normally, even if she's angry or emotional, she'd keep it quiet and her face would be calm - at least until we get home. Just then, however, was a totally different story, and I'm dying to know what happened between them. Yesterday night, as well, Min Woo came over to ours, and he stayed for dinner. He came down together with Geum Min, only she looked normal while he looked like he'd swallowed something terrible instead. I don't get what could have happened. Unless they had a fight? 

Well, even if they had a fight, they should have gotten over it by now - which they haven't. There's something deeper at fault here, and my twin seems to be too occupied in her own little bubble to notice it. To anyone else, though, Min Woo's glum blue funk is painfully obvious.

Kwang Min's been busy the past few days too. I mean, both he and Young Min are busy, but that's because they're coming back soon, and they're cluttered with schedules in preparation for that. But for Kwang there seems to be something else added on. He disappeared for quite a while yesterday evening, and he didn't get back until halfway through dinner, clutching a donut and saying he wasn't hungry. He went straight up to his room after, and he was talking to someone until bedtime. I can't imagine whom, but I plan to find out.

His twin is normal, or as normal as he can be, anyway. Still obsessed about his Yoona, who actually, surprisingly, seems to be taking an interest in him as well! I can't say I approve, considering her age, but it's sweet that she notices him. 

I miss my best friend. For some reason, she hasn't come by recently. I think she's busy. But I can't be sure, and I really wish she would turn up. I'd go to her house and pester her, but obviously there must be a reason why she's not coming over. So I'll just respect her decision for now. 

Hmm, so back to Jin Ae. Something needs to be done about her. I hate having her around in the house - I mean, she's just really too irritating. Even Eomma hates having her around, since she's such a pain. Eomma can't even ask her for help, since she's a guest. Jin Ae, being the oblivious, lazy witch she is, refuses to even offer to help my mother, even though she always sees Eomma walking around, bone tired, doing random things around the house. I know because Eomma told me once before. My siblings and I are often stuck at school or training until late, which is why we barely get the time to help out around the house. Jeong Min-oppa, my eldest brother, is studying for a huge exam that's coming up. The results he gets in that determines which university he goes to, and he wants to do well with his girlfriend so that they both can go to the same school. Long story short, he is incredibly busy too.

Which leaves only one person to help Eomma, and she isn't bothered to lift so much as a finger to help out. Even my five-year old twin siblings, Hyun Min and Sun Min, are more help to Eomma than our "guest". 

She makes me so mad!

"Yah, Jo Yoo Min, stop blocking the way!" Geum Min yells at me, shoving past me down the stairs. 

Blinking, I realise I have been standing in the middle of the staircase for the longest time, while in my mind I've been pondering all this. My twin goes out the door, and on instinct I decide to follow her. Just at that same moment, I notice Kwang Min leave the house through the back door. Torn, I glance at the retreating figures of both my siblings. Confirm my suspicion that Min Woo confessed to my sister, or find out if Kwang has a sweetheart?

In the end, I decide to go after my brother. I'm not in any particular mood for sad drama right now. I grab my hoodie off the coat rack and sprint a few steps to catch up to him. Slowing down, I slip out the door he went through and get to work on my stalking.

 

 

 

 

It's hard for me to stifle my gasp when I see who Kwang ends up talking to. But I manage to keep my volume down, and I brush aside some leaves in the bush as I peer through to the bakery across the street. My brother is talking to the girl behind the counter. There's nobody in queue behind him, and it doesn't look like he's ordering anything. From my angle, I can't see the girl's face. But I can see the top of her head, and she's wearing a black and white polka-dotted hairband. As I watch, her head bobs up and down.

Kwang Min smiles, nods, and straightens. He salutes the ahjumma who owns the bakery, and walks outside - down the street into the small park at the end. I'm about to follow when the door of the bakery opens, and I hurriedly drop back into my hiding spot. A girl dashes out of the bakery in her pale yellow apron - the uniform of the bakery - and runs down to the park which my brother walked into.

Is it just me, or is that girl very, very familiar?

But it can't be... can it?

Shaking my head to get rid of the confusion, I stand up and dust myself down before following the pair. Inside the park, I walk behind them - they have caught up with each other and are talking animatedly now - at a discreet distance until they seat themselves at a bench. Silently, I slink over to a tree and eavesdrop.

"So..." Kwang Min says suddenly, at a lull in the conversation.

I see the girl shrug, and by now I'm waiting for her to speak so that I confirm that she's who I think she is. The way she moves, the way she looks (although I haven't seen her face yet) and the bracelet that dangles from her wrist... there's almost no way that she can't be my best friend. But then again, I haven't seen her for ages. If she was meeting Kwang, then obviously she could have just dropped by at our house, right? Why didn't she? I just can't believe that the girl sitting there is my best friend, but if she's not Skye, then who can she be?

"What about Jin Ae? Did you manage to think of anything?"

I bite my lip. It's true - the girl is undoubtedly Skye. This revelation brings back all my earlier doubts and questions: why didn't she come and talk to us in all this while if she was meeting my brother behind our backs?

Hearing him sigh brings me back to my surroundings. "You know, I really don't understand what's going through her head. From my point of view, she doesn't stand to gain anything from isolating you from my sisters!"

What?

Skye shifts her body a little bit, obviously cold. She forgot her jacket in the bakery, I guess. "She's jealous of me! That's reason enough to get me away from her supposed 'friends'," she explains.

"Do you really think she'll carry through with her threat, then?"

"I can't tell. I don't know her that well..."

Kwang Min crosses his arms, thinking. "Well, I know she's capable of doing something like that, but whether she actually will... I don't know either."

Suddenly, both of them sigh in unison. It's funny to hear, and I stuff my hand inside my mouth to avoid laughing out too loudly. 

A loud beep sounds, and Skye suddenly straightens and starts patting down her apron. She fishes out her small phone from a pocket, and checks her message. 

"That's strange," she mutters.

"What's strange?"

She glances up at the boy beside her, and frowns slightly. "I've been let off for the afternoon."

He grins at her in response. "That's excellent! You look stressed out. Let's go grab your stuff and go somewhere!"

Furrowing her brows, she stares at him. "Are you serious? I look stressed?"

"Yes."

"I do not! I have no reason to look stressed!"

"Trust me, you look stressed."

"But I don't have a reason to look stressed, so I -"

"Whether you have a reason or not, you look stressed to me," Kwang Min shrugs.

She pokes him. "That means there's something wrong with your eyes."

He rolls his eyes. "Okay, whatever. So, are you interested in going to buy ddeokbokki?"

"Buy what?"

He'd just been about to walk off, but on hearing her question, he stops short. "You don't know what ddeokbokki is? Which world have you been living in?"

She harrumphs and stalks ahead of him. "Do you think Jin Ae will find out?"

"Jin Ae? Just forget about her and have fun! Maybe we can accidentally knock into YooGeum on the way?" Kwang Min teases her, smiling widely.

Skye shakes her head. "If Jin Ae finds out, all your lives are ruined."

Their voices fade as they walk away, and I'm left alone at the tree to ponder over what I heard. Looks like Jin Ae has been wreaking much more havoc than I initially thought... A flame erupts within me, and I suddenly badly feel like giving her a good slap. But that's not what a gracious and good host would do to a guest of their house, I remind myself. Besides, Jin Ae is Eomma's friend's daughter, and we ought to be civil to her for that. 

Nevertheless, my feet twitch, and I feel the urge to get back to the house as soon as I possibly can. But I turn my feet in a different direction and begin walking, in an effort to calm my nervous energy. I can do so many things if I so want to - like stalking my sister and her "best friend", or even my blonde brother and his much-older crush.

The problem of Jin Ae can wait. I have some spying to do!

 

 

 

 

 

 

I grit my teeth as I peek around the corner. No matter what, even if it means losing sight of them, I can not be seen by my sister and Min Woo. If I'm seen, there's no way I'll get any spying done. I'd just waste my entire day, because if she catches me I'd have to join the pair of them, something I'm not particularly keen on doing, and they'd drag me around everywhere insisting that they're both just best friends.

Tch. I know there's so much more going on between them. Even if they won't admit it themselves.

Min Woo and Geum Min are still much further down the lane, and before they see me I duck back around my corner to stand there silently, waiting. After a few minutes I hear their voices float closer. I shrink back against the wall and make sure they won't be able to see me, not even if they turn down the street I'm standing in (which I hope they won't!). 

"Min Woo, why do you look so sad all of a sudden?" I hear my sister's disembodied voice.

He snorts before responding, "Well, I don't think you've noticed before. But I'm just tired, that's all."

I can hear the frown in my sister's voice as she says, "Are you sure? I think you look a little more than tired."

Just then, they both walk off in front of me, and head towards the playground near our house. Well, they head off in that vague direction, but I know my twin and it's obvious she's making him go there. It's her favourite place to be, after all. As soon as it's decent, I emerge from my hiding spot and start trailing them. I'm at a distance enough to hear what they're saying, but far enough behind that they won't notice me unless I deliberately call attention to myself, or if they turn around and see me there. 

Stalking my siblings is fun, I realise. It might not be right, exactly... But they're my siblings and they never tell me anything, so I suppose it's their fault for my stalking them now. They brought this down on themselves! Hiding a small smile, I keep my eyes on them in order to make sure I don't lose them or get too close. They're still arguing about whether Min Woo is tired or sad.

"It's my body, I tell you, so I know when I'm tired!" he's protesting now.

Geum Min frowns. "But you're my best friend, I can tell when you're tired and when you're a little more than tired!"

Min Woo furrows his brows and faces her again. "I'm just your best friend, aren't I?"

Her brows draw together too, but she's confused while he's frustrated. "Yes...?"

Throwing his hands up in the air, he continues walking. Silence descends upon them, and I can feel the tension rolling off them in waves, even though I'm so far behind them. Curious, I keep walking behind them until they reach the playground, where I hurriedly dive into a patch of bushes near the swings they sit on. Bushes seem to be my best friends today. I bet my hair is messy from all my interaction with bushes.

But as I sit there, waiting for them to talk, my mind wanders. My thick-skinned sister obviously doesn't see that he likes her. And he's equally as bad, he can't see that she likes him back. Both of them are really... I don't know if this is foolish or stupid or just plain ignorant. Sighing like an old lady, I settle into a more comfortable position to wait as the two little children - for that's the way they're acting - grow up and realise they're both crushing heavily on each other.

Just then, Min Woo gives me a little hope. "What's your ideal type?" he suddenly asks.

Surprised, my sister can only stare at him for a few seconds, before blurting, "Oh, I like a guy who can dance and rap well, and who is cute."

A slow grin spreads over his face, the same time a faint blush floods her features. "You realise that could fit just about anyone, don't you?" he teases her, his eyes dancing.

Now, this is interesting, I think, waiting for her reply.

She's at a loss for words for a while, until she clears and nonchalantly admits, "Yeah, it could refer to a lot of people, there's no specific person. It could even be you!" she says, getting carried away.

Then she realises what she said, and she turns even more red. Hurriedly, she asks him, "What's your ideal type?"

He grins. "I think my ideal type's someone like you."

I raise my eyebrows. Wow, that was straightforward.

Geum Min lifts her eyes shyly to him, looking at him from under her lashes. A little red disappears from her cheeks, and a soft smile twists her lips. I smile awkwardly too, since it's obvious my sister is head-over-heels in love with her "best friend". And it looks like the same is true of Min Woo.

Suddenly I feel uncomfortable spying on them, what with the lovey-dovey looks they keep giving each other. But then, on the other hand, I feel like standing up and yelling for them to stop with the looks and admit their undying love for each other already. Sighing, I decide to just leave the scene before I do anything stupid like that. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A few minutes later and I'm walking aimlessly through the streets again. There seems to be nothing at all that I can do. I let out  a breath and plop myself on a random bench in front of a department store. The streets aren't that crowded, because it's a late Saturday evening and most people are either getting dressed to go clubbing or already are partying or hanging out with their friends. Unfortunately I've nothing better to do than to sit around and stare into space.

An arm encases me from my right side, and I'm so stunned I jump a mile in the air before calming down enough to jerk my head over to who it is. The cheeky smile and beautiful eyes of my boyfriend, Boyfriend's Jeong Min, meet my own. My mouth drops open, and he affectionately chucks me under the chin as he slides into place beside me. 

"A penny for your thoughts?" he asks me with a light tone.

I raise a skeptical eyebrow. "Do you really have a penny?"

He grins. "I have one won, if you really want."

Poking him, I smile back. "I'm not interested in taking your money, Oppa."

"Tokyo, London, New York, Paris, Oppa Oppa," he chants, mimicking Super Junior's Dong Hae and Eun Hyuk's latest song. 

I start poking him more insistently. "You got Paris wrong."

He stops, pouting. "What? You mean you don't like the way I sing?"

"No, I just meant that your pronunciation of Paris is cute!"

"Why, isn't it palliseu?" he asks, putting more of a Korean accent on his 'Paris' in an attempt to make me laugh.

He's successful, and I play along with his joke. "No, it's supposed to be Paris!"

"Palliseu."

"Paris."

"Palliseu."

"Paris."

"Why are we even arguing about this?" he finally breaks.

I stick my tongue out at him and drag him up. "Why don't you come over for dinner?"

He grins and nods, and we walk home hand in hand.

 

 

 

 

A/n: Sorry it's been so long! I've been caught up with exams and the like... I actually had to write this in bits and pieces >.< Anyway, thanks to all the new subscribers! Enjoy reading and comment please! :D:D:D