Chapter 16

Jo Twins' Secret Family

-- Geum Min

 

"GET OUT OF BED YOU LAZY BUMS!" 

I hear a soft voice echoing through my head while I'm still at that stage between dreams and reality. Grumbling, I turn around in my sleep. It sounds like my twin, but at the same time it doesn't. But that doesn't register in my head, and I slip back into my dream.

An earthquake shakes the floor, and suddenly I feel a falling sensation that makes me jerk awake. Groggily, I glance around the room and notice that one very wild girl is bouncing around on my bed, yelling her head off. Yoo Min is already awake, and we exchange glances as a brown-tipped blonde lock of long hair whacks me in the face. Pissed, I turn to glare at the perpetrator.

Jin Ae.

I don't even know why she's here at the unearthly hour, waking us up. With training and school at the same time, today, Sunday, is the only day that we get to sleep in and catch up on precious hours of sleep. Trainings on Sunday are much later than on other days. And I was in the middle of an awesome dream as well. Until this witch came to rudely awaken me. I do not appreciate this. Not at all.

"Eomma wants us all downstairs for breakfast~" she sings in a falsetto, giving me a self-satisfied grin that told me that she obviously liked the sound of her own voice.

Scowling, I stomp away into the bathroom to splash my face with water before I do something crazy, like rip my ears out. They're already damaged enough by listening to that person's cat-whine of a voice. Yoo Min follows me, and we shut the door loudly and begin splashing our faces. After brushing our teeth, washing up, and combing our hair, we head out to get dressed. Jin Ae is hovering outside the door, staring outside through its slit opening. I walk over and poke her shoulder. As she looks at me, I politely tell her to get out of the room while we change. The sight of her actually listening to me for once gives me great satisfaction.

"Ah," she squeaks as I shut it, but I can hear her begin to squeal even when the door is closed. "YOUNGMIN!"

Yoo Min sighs and shakes her head, pulling out some clothes from her closet. Half-heartedly, I do the same. I plan to get down to the living room and complain to Eomma about that hag in our house. I grab a yellow rubber band and loosely pull my hair back into a sleek ponytail. Before I sprint down the stairs, I pull the door open and check if the coast is clear. Luckily, Jin Ae is nowhere in sight. I eye the boys' room with sympathy as I jog downstairs to eat a quick breakfast and look for Eomma.

It's a simple matter for me - breakfast is just a piece of toast with jam spread evenly on top. It takes all of five minutes to make, and as I munch, I walk around looking for my mother. She's not to be found in the living room, though. Frowning, I walk back to the kitchen and find my twin rummaging around in the pantry for her own breakfast. 

Just then, the back door springs open - Yoo Min jumps violently - and Eomma flies in, looking a little flustered.

"Oh, great, you two are both here," she mentions, shuffling past me impatiently and grabbing something off the counter. "Jin Ae's parents are apparently going somewhere, so she's stuck with us for about two weeks. Is that alright with you?"

Yoo Min and I both open our mouths to answer immediately, but Eomma interrupts with a nervous chuckle: "Of course it's not alright - you both hate her - but please, for my sake, will you put up with her for a short while?"

"Eomma, it's okay," I assure her, smiling too. "We won't torture her too much."

Eomma, like the awesome person she is, just laughs and touches my shoulder affectionately as she walks out of the kitchen to call my brothers down. A few minutes later, a very frazzled Young Min strides into the dining area with Jin Ae draped over his arm. Kwang Min looks annoyed as well - I'm sure the hag annoyed him too. 

She looks over, and unfortunately spots us lurking in the kitchen. "Yoo Min! Oh, my best friend! How are you today? And Geum Min! You too!"

"What is she on?" Young Min mutters from behind, dusting off his hand - hopefully he's not too contaminated with germs from Jin Ae.

"You know what?" the hag continues in her falsetto, annoying the hair out of my roots, "Let's go shopping!"

Yoo Min steps forward, cutting in. "Actually, we have training to get to in an hour. So we'll see you maybe later, after we get home."

Jin Ae pouts very dramatically, and she bounces over to the boys. "Are you guys free?"

Both frantically shake their heads.

"Awww~"

The doorbell rings at that moment. The pout is immediately wiped off Jin Ae's face as she sprints over to the door (as if it's her own) and opens it to reveal Min Woo.

He looks a little shocked. "Am I at the right house?"

"Yes, handsome, you are!" the hag flirts back. 

Min Woo turns red and takes a step back, his eyes shifting around uncomfortably. Yoo Min spares a glance at me, but I don't really notice. I feel a rush in my head, but I don't really take note of that either as I stalk forth to the door, abruptly nudging Jin Ae out of place to lug Min Woo in. Ignoring everyone's stares, I drag him into the kitchen and give him a piece of already-toasted bread to eat. He mutely takes it and begins chewing.

"You know, you're cute when you're angry," he mumbles, food lodged firmly in his mouth.

I give him a glare.

Jin Ae struts in just then, her head tilted to the side. "Geum Min, why did you push me?"

"She didn't push you," Min Woo says hotly, his earlier teasing tone gone.

"Then what did she do, Oppa?"

I wanted to yank my hair out. Actually, why should I torture myself? Maybe I should think up a million different ways to torture and humiliate that obnoxious old hag who is trying to flirt with my best friend instead. A cold hand touches my elbow, holding me back, and I glance back at Min Woo, who ignores that person as he eats his breakfast. 

"So, Geum Min, when are you guys going to head over for training?" he inquires of me instead.

"Oppa, take me along to your training, please?" Jin Ae asks, widening her eyes to try to look cute and convincing. Her aegyeo is terrible, though.

Not to mention, it pisses me off.

Everything about that hag makes me want to break something.

Min Woo frowns. "You're not allowed in."

"Why not?" she pouts again, and he decides to ignore her and look to me for an answer to his earlier question.

"Actually, I think we should head over early. The trainer said he had extra things for us to do, right?" I answer. I'd do anything to get away from her...

He nods vigrorously, and finishes his last bite of toast. "Let's get the others, shall we?"

 

 

 

 

Jeong Min rolls his eyes, trying to read his book in peace. But a constant annoying noise keeps filtering into his head - Jin Ae's incessant nagging. It's been an hour or so since the others left, and unfortunately, he gets to be stuck with her. Out of boredom, she decided to pester him, and ever since she started, she never left his side.

It's so irritating!

He sighs. Hearing sounds of moving furniture from downstairs, he's sure that Eomma must be cleaning the house. He had offered to help earlier, but she had declined, asking him to enjoy his free time on Sunday. Besides, she wanted him to try and keep Jin Ae company. But he could tell that she's pissed off with the intruder. Jin Ae hadn't bothered to even greet Eomma, nor had she offered to help out even the tiniest bit. As such, Eomma thinks of her as a lazy, insensitive pig. Which Jeong Min believes is incredibly fitting.

"Jeong Min Oppa, will you do something with me? Talk to me! I'm feeling so bored here," Jin Ae complains, scrunching up her eyes and pouting once more.

"Jeong Min Oppa, you're neglecting me! I wish you would talk to me! I would feel so much better if you did!" she continues, her eyes pleading.

"Jeong Min Oppa, I'm depressed! Why won't you speak to me? Do you hate me? Why does the whole world hate me?" she moans.

Glaring at her, he wonders if she actually wants an answer to that last question - because he's perfectly willing to give it to her.

"Jeong Min Oppa -"

"Look," he says finally, flinging his book down harshly on the table. "Don't 'Jeong Min Oppa' me ever again, got that? I'll speak to you alright?! What would you like to talk about now?"

She grins, finally satisfied at getting what she wanted. "Oh, I'm not really sure."

Jeong Min exaggerates a sigh, running his hand through his hair in frustration. 

"Actually, do you think Young Min likes me?"

He groans, clapping a hand over his eyes. At this rate, he'll get a headache.

"I think he's very sweet, but if he likes me, I'll have to reject him."

"What?"

Jin Ae smiles. "You see, he's cute and nice, and all, but he's just not my type. I can do so much better. No offence."

Gritting his teeth at the insult to his brother, he forces out, "None taken."

"You do know that cute means likeable but ugly, right? I think it's so fitting of him."

"Is there something wrong with you?" Jeong Min gasps, then hurriedly claps a hand over his mouth.

"I'm sorry?"

"Nothing," he says hurriedly, sighing with relief that she didn't hear his rude comment. Unlike some people, he actually does try to be polite.

Jin Ae nods. "I've got many, many guys falling at my feet all the time - it's actually pretty funny. But I can do so much better than all of them. They should just give up because they should know that they're out of my league. Oh yeah, and your sisters, they really need my help. I need to matchmake them with people. I'm sure one of my suitors can be deflected to them. Maybe I'll tell him it's charity or something -" Jeong Min chokes on the water he's drinking - "Because they're not really the type of people guys want to date..."

"You do realise that Yoo Min has a boyfriend, right?"

"Does she? Poor guy," Jin Ae shakes her head.

Now Jeong Min feels like breaking something. His hand clenches into a fist as he tries to restrain himself, to prevent himself from lashing out at the arrogant idiot beside him. He's never felt so angry at anyone, but this person brings it out of him within twenty minutes of sitting next to him. There's no way he can handle being around her any longer.

"I hope the others come back soon," he mutters under his breath, while the hag continues to rant.

 

 

 

 

A/n: It's been ages since I last updated, I know. But I've been busy. Hasn't everyone been offline quite a bit lately? I've really been struggling with school - the older I get, the heavier my workload. I expected that, but it's still shocking when it actually happens D: I hate school T^T So, tell me what you think about this updates okay? Comments are much appreciated! :D